After watching Tomac all year, I don't think

BobbyM
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2022 7:32am
Herlings is faster than Tomac like I thought before.
Tomac is a moto God at this point and he still has a little speed to spare I believe. Congrats to him and everybody that raced to the end as hard as they did.
|
Phil109
9/6/2022 7:41pm
4-5 years ago Herlings def was. Not this day and age after all of Herlings injuries. While still insane he’s back to earth. Sucks when these guys get injured so much and we are left to wonder what they had in the tank. Take all JS7’s concussions, Tomacs shoulders, Roczen’s arms and Herlings endless list. It’s no telling what they had in the afterburners. A lot of other riders left off that list to boot but those are the biggest recent ones that came to mind. Part of the sport though. You fight speed, age and attrition. Makes it that much more special to grab titles.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
9/6/2022 7:55pm
Phil109 wrote:
4-5 years ago Herlings def was. Not this day and age after all of Herlings injuries. While still insane he’s back to earth. Sucks when these...
4-5 years ago Herlings def was. Not this day and age after all of Herlings injuries. While still insane he’s back to earth. Sucks when these guys get injured so much and we are left to wonder what they had in the tank. Take all JS7’s concussions, Tomacs shoulders, Roczen’s arms and Herlings endless list. It’s no telling what they had in the afterburners. A lot of other riders left off that list to boot but those are the biggest recent ones that came to mind. Part of the sport though. You fight speed, age and attrition. Makes it that much more special to grab titles.
Recency bias. We haven’t seen Herlings in like a year. There both fast as fuck. If they raced 100 times it’d probably be about 50/50.
bowl
9/6/2022 8:11pm
Ferrandis must be faster then both of them then.

The Shop

str8line
9/6/2022 8:15pm
I think Herlings was faster. (ducks for cover) Was Tomac fastest the year he got hurt at Colorado?
Sully
9/6/2022 9:29pm
brimx153 wrote:
Depend s on the track .
Yup. Put them at Lommel and I'd pick Herlings 99/100.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
9/6/2022 9:45pm
bowl wrote:
Ferrandis must be faster then both of them then.
Hell, depending on the day and track I'd put TIGA and Sexton up there being faster than both Tomac and Herlings.

monkeybut417
9/6/2022 9:55pm
Part of the game is keeping it on 2 wheels. The 84 has had trouble with that.
zehn
9/6/2022 10:06pm
Sully wrote:
Hey if we’re going to cherry-pick a riders specialty you have to mention racing and training for SX
mx216
9/6/2022 10:11pm
Cianciarulo might be the gnarliest one yet. The way he came out in SX year one, and then the following years, poor guy. He should have 6-7 championships by now. But at the moment, like a couple of comments up, they might not even be the raw speed kings anymore. Sexton would be in the mix, Gajser is definitely there.

Side note-
I had the chance to work with Prado when he as here the first time and as a 14 year old, he was only a couple of seconds off Jessy Nelson(who won A1 that year), with hitting the whoops, at the supercross track. I was sure he was the next guy and FMOTP! https://www.instagram.com/p/-Cp_Zhvp8bdZUhSLbPDWo_Ayr0q4FyEB3xKFY0/ . He had the foot on the pegs style on lock and was so good and technical on bike. That video was from the first day with him at milestone and i came back and told the crew chief the team needed to find whatever money is needed and hire that kid!

9/6/2022 10:12pm
Too bad we’ll never know cus Herlings was all scared. Sad. Hell, even Dungey and Cairoli sacked up and got some. Herlings? Nah, he’s all scurrred.
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
9/6/2022 11:30pm
I don’t think I need that Tomac vs Herlings gimmick race after this year. The Tomac vs Sexton battle was so good.
Kasims
Fantasy
3964th
9/7/2022 12:53am
BobbyM wrote:
Herlings is faster than Tomac like I thought before. Tomac is a moto God at this point and he still has a little speed to spare...
Herlings is faster than Tomac like I thought before.
Tomac is a moto God at this point and he still has a little speed to spare I believe. Congrats to him and everybody that raced to the end as hard as they did.
Not to taking away any of Tomac 22 success, but you probably didn't saw Herlings latest insta story videos, he made that 450 his bitch..
9/7/2022 2:47am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2022 2:49am
Sully wrote:
zehn wrote:
Hey if we’re going to cherry-pick a riders specialty you have to mention racing and training for SX
Exactly. While Tomac is training for and racing Supercross, Herlings is recuperating from his last bone headed crash from riding over his head. He's not even on Gajser's level let alone Eli or Chase.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/7/2022 4:05am
Sully wrote:
zehn wrote:
Exactly. While Tomac is training for and racing Supercross, Herlings is recuperating from his last bone headed crash from riding over his head. He's not even...
Exactly. While Tomac is training for and racing Supercross, Herlings is recuperating from his last bone headed crash from riding over his head. He's not even on Gajser's level let alone Eli or Chase.
...riding over his head throwing small whips at a photoshoot?
davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/7/2022 4:06am
Too bad we’ll never know cus Herlings was all scared. Sad. Hell, even Dungey and Cairoli sacked up and got some. Herlings? Nah, he’s all scurrred.
I was going to legitimately reply, but the bait was too stinky.
Crush
9/7/2022 5:08am
Phil109 wrote:
4-5 years ago Herlings def was. Not this day and age after all of Herlings injuries. While still insane he’s back to earth. Sucks when these...
Based on what was Herlings definitely faster though?

davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/7/2022 5:23am
Phil109 wrote:
Crush wrote:

Racing motocross on the same track seems to be a solid benchmark.
Phil109
9/7/2022 5:35am
Phil109 wrote:
Crush wrote:

Ironman 2016 I think it was. Herlings was on a track he’d never ridden on a bike not set up like he’s used to and laid the wood to everyone. Tomac crashed trying to catch him and he cruised past him the second moto. Albeit Tomac was in championship mode also that day so hard to say.

I will say though that day the first moto Marvin was gaining on Herlings until he fell in that one corner. It’s all just speculation of course but I just felt that at that time Herlings had everyone covered.
9/7/2022 5:45am
Kasims wrote:
Not to taking away any of Tomac 22 success, but you probably didn't saw Herlings latest insta story videos, he made that 450 his bitch..
Everyone looks good on the 'gram.
AH387
9/7/2022 6:28am
I always think these types of debates are so hard to have a real answer for. I try to keep in mind that some guys push their comfort zone more than others, so that can cloud how "fast" someone appears. JH obviously is insanely fast, but the guy is always on the ground. So is he just hanging it out there on his edge and it bites him? Eli looked pretty controlled all year, to me. There is a chance that he could've racheted it up even more, but who knows. But regardless, him and Chase pushed their comfort level to a pace that was gapping the whole field every race and they never seemed out of control. That is super impressive. Not saying that means Eli is faster or not faster than JH but it's just worth mentioning. A guy perceived as the fastest (JH) who is always crashing, might mean that he is on his ragged edge a bit more than someone who isn't. And to win a title, that has to come into play a bit.
Hasletjoe
9/7/2022 6:48am
And help me understand, Herlings wins the debate in a Vital Forum. Does that seal the deal? Does he win money or what? Is is an official championship?
LungButter
9/7/2022 6:52am
Sully wrote:
Put them at A1 and Tomac wins 100/100.
McG194
9/7/2022 7:06am
The common denominator between both of them is they may go down in history as two of the biggest "What ifs" in MX history. Tomac was the fastest SX racer in 17,18 and 19 and didn't bring home titles. Outdoors he was headed for an all timer in 2015 before crashing out spectacularly in Lakewood. Herlings has left multiple championships on the operating table as well.
Press516
Fantasy
90th
9/7/2022 7:07am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2022 7:09am
Phil109 wrote:
Crush wrote:

davis224 wrote:
It can be... But I think they go about 50/50 if they race a series.

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
9/7/2022 7:12am
Phil109 wrote:
Yeah, he reminds me of Roczen but more of a combination of many injuries than two big ones. No one could touch roczen his last year on Suzuki. Now, he's still fast and has flashes of that talent. Herlings isn't quite there yet, but if he keeps getting injured, he'll be on the same trajectory.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/7/2022 7:22am
Crush wrote:

davis224 wrote:
Press516 wrote:
It can be... But I think they go about 50/50 if they race a series. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/07/567386/s1200_eli.jpg[/img]
It can be... But I think they go about 50/50 if they race a series.

I think that makes it something like 1 for 10 times they've been on the same track that Eli was faster. Someone posted a list of all practices and races they've been together in, finishing position, gap, and fastest lap. Herlings had him covered every time except that one moto.

For what it's worth, I think right now, Eli beats a healthy Herlings at Red Bud. But it's just a hypothetical. Data doesn't lie.
plowboy
9/7/2022 7:25am
Everyone looks good on the 'gram.
I don’t!
Lol...I bought a GoPro years ago to document my speed and skill. I swear it was recorded in slow motion. Put it back in the box and never touched it againBlush .

Post a reply to: After watching Tomac all year, I don't think

The Latest