Advice on which National to attend

TBone323
Hey everyone, I am hoping to attend my first national this year and would like some advice on which of the races would be the best experience. I am curious how the tracks rank as far as spectator experience. Is there a big difference in facilities (restrooms, concessions) and views of the track? Are there tracks that are standing room only vs places to sit in a lawn chair?

The races below are within the window of when I can escape work. Which would you recommend?

Poll

Which National do you recommend?

Choices
|
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1978th
5/2/2019 6:29am
I heard red bud is terrible for spectating. The wick is decent but not great. Haven’t been to the others
ga_pike
5/2/2019 6:36am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2019 6:37am
If you can only attend one national... you have to attend Red Bud. Unadilla, Budds Creek, and High Point would be my next 3 followed by Southwick.
Team Ideal
5/2/2019 6:40am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2019 6:41am
Red Bud has the best spectating of any I have been to. Also the biggest party atmosphere. Spring Creek second. Wick third. haven't been to either of the other places.

The Shop

5/2/2019 6:47am
Millville. Place is amazing. Red Bud is overhyped unless you're going to black out. Viewing is not good either.
Casting
5/2/2019 7:02am
I won't be much help because I haven't been to any of the tracks on your radar... but if you ever have the chance, I cannot recommend Unadilla and High Point enough.

Both offer great spectating and fun crowds. Plus, who doesn't love the Hill people?

It's on my bucket list to attend some of the more westward nationals like Spring Creek, Red Bud, and Washougal.
owndjoo852
5/2/2019 7:02am
Reeeeeeedbuuuuuuuuud!!! There is no other place that carries such an iconic history. You at least need to attend once. So much extra amateur racing to watch everyday as well as the craziest campground shenanigans. There are some great places to watch from as well. I personally go to RedBud and Ironman every year.
sanguine1961
5/2/2019 7:10am
TBone323 wrote:
Hey everyone, I am hoping to attend my first national this year and would like some advice on which of the races would be the best...
Hey everyone, I am hoping to attend my first national this year and would like some advice on which of the races would be the best experience. I am curious how the tracks rank as far as spectator experience. Is there a big difference in facilities (restrooms, concessions) and views of the track? Are there tracks that are standing room only vs places to sit in a lawn chair?

The races below are within the window of when I can escape work. Which would you recommend?

Why not Thunder Valley?.(Denver, June 1st this year).....(it's relatively close to Texas), weather is usually good (not too hot), scenery is excellent, track is very hilly and offers a lot of different viewing areas....
TBone323
5/2/2019 8:50am
TBone323 wrote:
Hey everyone, I am hoping to attend my first national this year and would like some advice on which of the races would be the best...

Why not Thunder Valley?.(Denver, June 1st this year).....(it's relatively close to Texas), weather is usually good (not too hot), scenery is excellent, track is very hilly...
Why not Thunder Valley?.(Denver, June 1st this year).....(it's relatively close to Texas), weather is usually good (not too hot), scenery is excellent, track is very hilly and offers a lot of different viewing areas....
Would love to go to Thunder Valley but my wife is a teacher and her school year isn’t over until the week after that race. I have to plan around her summer and my work schedule.
ob
5/2/2019 8:52am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2019 8:53am
Can’t go wrong with Washougal
5/2/2019 9:19am
Washougal is great for spectators most people tend to sit up on the hillside because you can see most of the track from there. But there's not one spot you can't get to and watch.

Negative is your pretty much going to be walking up hill or down hill most of the time. If you don't leave early enough to get to the track. The like 8 mile section of road out of town to the track gridlocks and you'll have to wait in traffic to get there.

Positive is there's plenty of trees around so if you want to get out of the heat n sun you can easily. They just remodeled their main bathrooms on site but it's mostly portable stuff. They do all of the amateur racing the days during the week before the national. Portland is about 30 mins away and Vancouver is a pretty major city area. If inclined swimming in the washougal river nearby is possible.
yz133rider
5/2/2019 9:20am
Viewing at budds is amazing. Viewing at Southwick is pretty terrible.
aeffertz
5/2/2019 9:38am
I can speak on two of them on your list.

Red Bud has a really great/wild atmosphere and camping antics but there isn’t one spot that you get to see a large portion of the track. You kinda have to pick one side of the hill. Though the last couple of years they have hauled in these portable jumbotrons which has made the viewing experience pretty good as long as you have one of them in sight on the side of track you’re on. Lots of standing, bleacher or set up a chair spots.

Spring Creek has a similar vibe, just a bit more toned back on the wild fan side. Still great camping activities and parties in the pits at night. Me and my buddies will always float the creek in some tubes and have a few drinks which is fun when there’s nothing going on! Viewing is also pretty good, I’d say. There’s a large hill by the finish line that you can set up some chairs and allows you to see probably 80% of the track, you just don’t see the whoops at all. There’s a hill in the middle of the track right by the start that gives pretty decent viewing up close to a couple of sections but you kinda have to walk back and forth and it’s often kinda crowded for a nice set up camp type of spot, though it’s not impossible.
Darryl916
5/2/2019 10:24am
High Point is amazing, but not on your list.

I hear the the Track Snacks in B lot are interesting but I haven't been to Redbud myself yet.
zippytech
5/2/2019 10:45am
High Point has went to shit over the years.. It use to be historical track, but it has changed so much that they might as well change the name.

motomike137
5/2/2019 10:51am
I've been to Red Bud a zillion times and it never disappoints. Unadilla is iconic and I need to go back there one of these years (been there 4 times way back in the day). Washougal is really unique, I got to see it in 16 and we had a beautiful day. I haven't been to Southwick or Spring Creek but based on what I know of those two I would choose Spring Creek. I would probably choose to go to Washougal again because not only is the track epic, you have Portland, the Columbia River Gorge, Mt Hood right next door and Seattle, Mt Ranier, Mt St Helens, and the Olympic pennissula not that far to the north. If you have time to take a few days or more I would go there because the scenery is unbelievable imho. It isn't easy to see huge swaths of the track at most of the venues which is why I plan on hiking around pretty much all day no matter which track I go to.
crusher773
5/2/2019 7:57pm
Yeah I thought Red Bud was overhyped from what I saw at MXdN. Millville is way better you can pretty much see everything from a couple spots there. Colorado is pretty good for spectating too. I've been to 4 now with Freestone in there also. Millville is by far the tops of the list.
5/2/2019 8:08pm
I can vouch for High Point being pretty awesome as well. I liked it more before they changed the layout. The people there seemed friendly.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
5/2/2019 8:44pm
After going to Red Bud last October, my vote goes to Millville. In my opinion, the spectating is much better there than Red Bud. The best part is you won’t have a bunch of annoying drunks yelling “Reddddd Buuuddddddddd” over and over and over and over and over again.
Gus
5/3/2019 3:38am
Never been to a national, I think we’re gonna go to Budds this year. It’s with in driving range.
Casting
5/3/2019 5:36am
I can vouch for High Point being pretty awesome as well. I liked it more before they changed the layout. The people there seemed friendly.
Being from GBR what did you think of the landscape around High Point? I'm from just north of the area but I think it's beautiful with the rolling hills and wilderness.

Did you like the area or did not leave much of an impression either way?
5/3/2019 5:40am
TBone323 wrote:
Would love to go to Thunder Valley but my wife is a teacher and her school year isn’t over until the week after that race. I...
Would love to go to Thunder Valley but my wife is a teacher and her school year isn’t over until the week after that race. I have to plan around her summer and my work schedule.
I lived that same life for 31 years. I feel ya.
5/3/2019 6:03am
Also, it kills me to not recommend WW - because we'll be there - but I voted for Millville.

Y'all are gonna be shocked when you see the changes that are being done to WW. There's now 3 entrances/exits. There's huge tunnels going under the track so spectators can get in the infield. Dreamtraxx is there as I type this making over the track. If you have facebook, go to the WW page and get a look at the video of them hoisting that gigantic metal tube they're gonna bury to make the tunnels.

In the end though, if you have a choice, go north. It should be cooler there. I can guarantee you Jacksonville will be hotter than five hells and so humid you'll be able to swim through the air to your seats. I watched Eli melt in the second moto of the USGP in the month of September. You could just tell the humidity got to him. That and the fact that it was the last moto of the year for him and he just wanted to get back to 5000 feet elevation and dry air.
MX114
5/3/2019 6:30am
owndjoo852 wrote:
Reeeeeeedbuuuuuuuuud!!! There is no other place that carries such an iconic history. You at least need to attend once. So much extra amateur racing to watch...
Reeeeeeedbuuuuuuuuud!!! There is no other place that carries such an iconic history. You at least need to attend once. So much extra amateur racing to watch everyday as well as the craziest campground shenanigans. There are some great places to watch from as well. I personally go to RedBud and Ironman every year.
Unadilla blows red bud away when it comes to being iconic. Unadillas legacy holds that title for being iconic far more than any other round on the circuit. It’s the best national to attend in my opinion for a newbie to get the true grass roots feel of what a National is. It’s not the easiest to get too or places to stay close by but it’s a dam good time! The viewing at dilla is great as long as your willing to do some hikes and scale some hills throughout the day. You can get an up close view at anypoint along the fence line as long as your willing to put in a little work. Southwick is fun to ride and is a cool atmosphere but the spectating viewing is horrible, Budds is good can see almost the entire track from any point, High Point gets rowdy and always fun lots of diff spots to watch from. Unadilla is my pick tho
MOTO732
5/3/2019 4:47pm
Redbud. Such an epic track. Lots of places to watch. This literally a no brainer. July 4th weekend...midwest summer. This is God's national.
moto348
5/3/2019 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2019 5:21pm
Also, it kills me to not recommend WW - because we'll be there - but I voted for Millville. Y'all are gonna be shocked when you...
Also, it kills me to not recommend WW - because we'll be there - but I voted for Millville.

Y'all are gonna be shocked when you see the changes that are being done to WW. There's now 3 entrances/exits. There's huge tunnels going under the track so spectators can get in the infield. Dreamtraxx is there as I type this making over the track. If you have facebook, go to the WW page and get a look at the video of them hoisting that gigantic metal tube they're gonna bury to make the tunnels.

In the end though, if you have a choice, go north. It should be cooler there. I can guarantee you Jacksonville will be hotter than five hells and so humid you'll be able to swim through the air to your seats. I watched Eli melt in the second moto of the USGP in the month of September. You could just tell the humidity got to him. That and the fact that it was the last moto of the year for him and he just wanted to get back to 5000 feet elevation and dry air.
No guarantees Millville isn't 90 degrees w/ a 70 degree dew point though. ?

I've only been to Millville so I can't speak for other nat'ls, at some point I will make it to more.

But Millville really has the total package. Especially if you want to practice or race during the national weekend. The facility is amazing and pretty much in the middle of nowhere (which I enjoy for motocross), nearest city aside from tiny towns is Rochester which is 45 min south.

Arrive Mon-Tues (wait in line in the lot across from the entrance to cty rd 11) to get a perfect camping spot close to the track. Wednesday morning they open up the entry lanes (hundreds of rigs lined up between the lanes in the gravel and the adjacent field by afternoon). While waiting in line you could ride a mile up the road to Meadow Valley and ride an awesome practice track (decent amt. of jumps, dirt that's very similar to Spring Creek). Then in the late afternoon they open up the gates and the place is filled to the brim.

Thursday is amateur practice, with press day in the afternoon. Amateur race day on Friday, I have yet to race Fri/Sun of that weekend but having drinks with good friends and watching some great racing during the Friday am day is a blast.

Then have a hell of a lot of fun partying with the live music/bands fri & sat night in addition to music thurs night. The creek is always cold and during the pro day it's a nice relief to walk through to head back to the rig between motos for a.c and grabbing more beer. Like others said from certain vantage points you can see the majority of the track from a few spots with the exception of the whoops. The sound & echos of factory/modded bikes off the "mountains" is incredible.

The vibe from Friday morning through Sunday at Millville is unbeatable IMO.

Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it. Best week of the year and at one of the best places on the planet.? I hope it never leaves the schedule.

Post a reply to: Advice on which National to attend

The Latest