Advice on injury treatment needed please

robbo902
Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 12:57am
Hi All...

About a year ago I had a nasty injury to my little finger on my left hand. I had an op and have been having regular appointments for the last year. I've now been told that my finger joint is quickly deteriorating and something needs to be done.

I've been given 2 options:-

1. A joint fusion, meaning that my the main join in my finger will be bent slightly (to aid with griping daily objects) and permanently locked in that position.

2. Finger amputation at the main joint leaving a stump

I've been told that if I have the fusion, i will still be able to grip the handlebars to some degree but when I come off, I stand I high change of snapping my finger again and again.

If I have the amputation, obviously i lose the ability to grip with that finger but I don't have the worry of damaging it repeatedly when I come off.

Has anyone had a little finger amputation (or know of anyone) and continued to ride? Will I be able to adapt without my little finger or will it be too hard?

Any help anyone can offer me in making this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
|
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
5/20/2014 2:49am
I had a friend who damaged the tip of his pinky finger from a moto accident and it had a permanent curve to it (I think the tip might have been removed). Was still able to ride and don't think it bothered him.
al8
5/20/2014 4:15am
My sons first ride on his jr50 when he was six he fell over and reached for the bike to pull himself up and got his hand sucked between chain and sprocket and lost his pinky at the big knuckle. He hasnt missed it at all. New nickname was "Stubby".lol
IWreckALot
5/20/2014 4:28am
Man that's a tough one. Have you tried going out and riding without gripping with your pinky? It sounds pretty difficult to do in my head but it might give you a little better perspective of which route to take. I wouldn't like the idea of knowing it'll eventually snap again. . . Seems expensive and painful. Amputation would be painful once probably but hopefully it would go away.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
5/20/2014 4:38am
Try it fused first, if that does work, you can get it cut off later.

The Shop

rcannon
5/20/2014 5:03am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2014 5:07am
Joko wrote:
Try it fused first, if that does work, you can get it cut off later.
Great point, very tough to go the other way. My pinky is pretty much permanently fused, but its a different situation. Mines been this way for 20 years and I know nothing else. I always THOUGHT it was a disadvantage when holding on, but maybe not so bad.

Interesting how times change. 20 years ago they said my joint had deteriorated, slapped me on the butt, and showed me the door. The finger wont bend much, and did get worse over the years. Never too much pain though, and it is still somewhat useful. Nowdays, we HAVE to do something..oddly enough, something that makes them money....Easy to say. I dont knwo yore specific situation and you very well might need something.
robbo902
5/20/2014 5:37am
Thank for the replies. The problem I have is something has to be done as the joint has become so loose that currently my finger comes out the socket a few times a week. Just simple things like putting my hand in my pocket.

I'm from the UK so them making money isn't the reason as we get this kind of thing on our national health service for free.

Aaaah man, I can't decide.

I feel like if I have it fused i'll always be holding back as I'll worry about it snapping if I come off. I've tried riding without using my pinky but in order to do that you have to hold it up out the way or tuck it in front of the bars and both ways doesn't give an accurate feel of that it will be like as its moves your other fingers as its all connected.
hvaughn88
5/20/2014 5:52am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2014 6:04am
If I were faced with those two options, I would go with the fusion first and see how that worked. You can always get it amputated if it doesn't work. You can't go back from an amputation, though. That may be too simplistic of a viewpoint but just trying to weigh the options.
Edit: just realized joko said the same thing. My bad for the redundancy
KMC440
5/20/2014 6:01am
Take a grip with you so the doc knows the radius you're looking for.
bish153
5/20/2014 6:47am
Just a thought, but can you have it fused and then have something molded to fit around it. Something that you can put on when you ride that will protect it in the event of a get off.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
5/20/2014 7:26am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2014 7:28am
I broke my right ring and pinkie when I fell on my hand surfing a wave pool. Two weeks later I broke my pinkie on my left when I jumped off my boat in the rain and my hand slipped under a cleat and snapped it. What a pain. Doc said nothing he could do but let it heal and it would take at least a year. It took about 16 months and still not pain free. The worst is when I lean on my closed fist, it will about drop me. I could ride the pitbike with little pain though about 4 months in. The shape of the grip might of helped.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
629th
5/20/2014 7:27am
First off, sorry to hear about your finger. That's a tough call to make.

Secondly, I am certain if you did get it taken off, you would quickly adjust and wouldn't even notice in a short time. Four years ago when I started back up riding I got in the habit of ALWAYS having my index fingers on the clutch and front break. I do not, and cannot ride with four fingers on the bars.
PFitzG38
5/20/2014 7:31pm
Are you kidding?? Just cut the thing off and be done with it. What do you even need a pinky for anyway? You won't even notice it when riding, plus chicks will dig it when you learn how to use to find their G-Spot easier.....trust me!!
PFitzG38
5/20/2014 7:45pm
I've been told by the owner of that finger in the pic, my bro, that I might feel different if it was my pinky. Sorry about your digit I agree with you though. If you fuse it, you'll always be worried about snagging that dead finger on anything that comes along, and why bother. If your worried about function and performance, even though your losing the last joint I can't think of one thing you'll ever be lacking in - other than pinky wrestling if you take it off, plus and even if you are worried about looks people will never notice it as much as a deformed pinky guy all locked up. Hell Jesse Nelson doesn't have a THUMB and he gets around just fine.
EddieC
5/20/2014 10:18pm
Considering that the pinkie and ring finger account for over 50% of your grip I would consider keeping it. What are you options regarding joint replacement? Often used as an option for people with serious arthritis. Also, there are custom rings/splints that can be made that keep your joint in place. These are often used with people who have ligament issues. I am assuming your doctor is a hand surgeon? If not that should be your immediate next call.
robbo902
5/21/2014 9:15am
Thanks again for all the replies, it's good to hear differing opinions.

Joint replacement isn't an option as they wear out quickly on active individuals. The lack of grip if i have it removed is my only worry, i'm not fussed on the cosmetic side of things.

I think i'm siding with going for the fuse first then amputation after if that doesn't do the trick.

Yes, my Doc is a hand surgeon, best one in the area apparently, but then i say i'm the best motocrosser in the area and that isn't true Smile
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
5/21/2014 9:16am
Cut it off and put it in a Subway sandwich
nc_mx_kid
5/21/2014 12:17pm
I'd seek acupuncture to see if that can help
nancy frye
4/23/2015 10:53pm
If you’re prone to Back Pain, talk with your doctor about the best sleeping position. Sleeping on your side with your knees pulled up slightly toward your chest is sometimes suggested. Prefer to sleep on your back? Put one pillow under your knees and another under your lower back. Sleeping on your stomach can be especially hard on your back. If you can’t sleep any other way, place a pillow under your hips.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
4/23/2015 11:06pm
nancy frye wrote:
If you’re prone to [url=http://chirohealing.com/about-us/meet-the-doctor.html/]Back Pain[/url], talk with your doctor about the best sleeping position. Sleeping on your side with your knees pulled up slightly toward...
If you’re prone to Back Pain, talk with your doctor about the best sleeping position. Sleeping on your side with your knees pulled up slightly toward your chest is sometimes suggested. Prefer to sleep on your back? Put one pillow under your knees and another under your lower back. Sleeping on your stomach can be especially hard on your back. If you can’t sleep any other way, place a pillow under your hips.
Cool story bro
Mit12
4/23/2015 11:52pm
My brother ripped off his index finger, after they reattached it the main joint needed to be fused. He continued racing for years with no problems. Have you looked into joint replacement?
4/24/2015 12:57am
how you gonna get one in the stink with no pinky?

Seriously though, if pain isn't an issue I don't see why you would get it fused or amputated. I was supposed to get a finger fused after shattering it and getting the cartilage removed. It hurts some times but not enough for me to justify going under the knife or what ever.

Post a reply to: Advice on injury treatment needed please

The Latest