Advice on a toyhauler/racehauler/class A

Whymee
Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 8:59pm
Gentlemen,

I am trying to compile info on my next purchase. Something to get me & my toys to the races and/or across the USA. Just me, no family.

I have currently a 5th wheel TH. Been through bumper pull TH, enclosed trailers (still have a 16 footer). And after this research I may come to the conclusion that the 5th wheel & a F350 is the way to go . I just need to make an informed decision.

Been researching the Thor Outlaw Class A TH. Wish a diesel was offered. Also looking at Class A Diesel pushers with a trailer. Prob there is getting around after you are parked somewhere in bad weather. Otherwise I can ride a street bike.

Also researching Showhaulers or similar type vehicles.

Just so many ways to go about traveling the roads and once at the destination, the makeup of the rig that gets you there will define the experience to be had.

Anyone have any experience with the high end haulers? What would you do different given the chance to start over from square one. Or would you have not gone at all?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...
|
BAMX
3/20/2019 6:50am
From my camping experience, I would throw this out there. If you are on the road camping/motoing etc., it is nice to be able to unhook and have a stand alone vehicle. Otherwise, you are running around doing errands in a vehicle that can be hard to park or turn around and is usually guzzling fuel.
MeTed
Fantasy
1224th
3/20/2019 7:00am
Check out the Seismic 4113 toy hauler. That thing is a beast.

Brad460
Fantasy
780th
3/20/2019 7:38am
Moto man wrote:
Try the search bar
In this case actually a good idea- There have been a number of recent toy hauler threads going on..

The Shop

Whymee
3/20/2019 9:10am
Moto man wrote:
Try the search bar
Brad460 wrote:
In this case actually a good idea- There have been a number of recent toy hauler threads going on..
Agreed.

I am well versed in toyhauler, 5th wheel and bumper pull. None whatsoever in Class A or showhauler type vehicles.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/20/2019 10:25am
I don't have any experience with anything but a bumper pull toyhauler, but I have daydreamed about a FunRunner since a friend of a friend showed up with one at the races once. It is a huge class c motorhome with a garage in the back; like a super-plush box van. Here's the pros and cons as I see them:

Pros:
-All in one
-Don't have to tow (more difficult, hitch up, unhitch, etc.)
-Separate garage (Can lock up the bikes, have a work bench and power tools, wife doesn't smell the gas)

Cons:
-Really expensive
-A full vehicle with registration that I would use only a few times a year
-Once at the campsite/pits, you aren't going anywhere else unless someone drove a separate vehicle

For me, the cons outweighed the pros and I never got one. Having a trailer I can leave parked somewhere and still have a perfectly viable vehicle is a big plus for me.
newmann
3/20/2019 10:28am
What's your budget? And how many bikes do you plan to haul?

I bought my Super C garage coach lightly used back in 2009 when the motorhome market was shitting the bed. Got such a bargain on it that when the Hurricane Harvey floods got it, I ended up getting a few dollars more for it than I paid. I was looking at what's currently available when I was dealing with the flood loss and see that prices are pretty steep these days for a comparable unit. I'll probably never own another considering prices but felt fortunate to get my money back on mine after owning it for 8 years.

But if you are in the Super C market, drive a few. I was told that if you drive a Volvo, you will never want to drive a Freightliner. Don't know how true that is, but my Volvo was pretty sweet and drove really good. It was a 2007 with a 12 liter Volvo and 10 spd auto. Twin screw tandem axles made it great for driving out of the races when it rained. It had a ramp gate and a 9 1/2 ceiling height in the garage area so I was able to install a small 4 post lift to stack bikes.

JBecker 72
3/20/2019 10:39am
newmann wrote:
What's your budget? And how many bikes do you plan to haul? I bought my Super C garage coach lightly used back in 2009 when the...

I bought my Super C garage coach lightly used back in 2009 when the motorhome market was shitting the bed. Got such a bargain on it that when the Hurricane Harvey floods got it, I ended up getting a few dollars more for it than I paid. I was looking at what's currently available when I was dealing with the flood loss and see that prices are pretty steep these days for a comparable unit. I'll probably never own another considering prices but felt fortunate to get my money back on mine after owning it for 8 years.

But if you are in the Super C market, drive a few. I was told that if you drive a Volvo, you will never want to drive a Freightliner. Don't know how true that is, but my Volvo was pretty sweet and drove really good. It was a 2007 with a 12 liter Volvo and 10 spd auto. Twin screw tandem axles made it great for driving out of the races when it rained. It had a ramp gate and a 9 1/2 ceiling height in the garage area so I was able to install a small 4 post lift to stack bikes.

That is a dream rig right there. Sorry to hear you lost it to flood waters.

Do you need a CDL for that?
newmann
3/20/2019 12:46pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
That is a dream rig right there. Sorry to hear you lost it to flood waters.

Do you need a CDL for that?
No CDL but need an air brake endorsement since it is over 26,000 lbs. I may or may not have had that....Whistling
newmann
3/20/2019 12:48pm
MeTed wrote:
Check out the Seismic 4113 toy hauler. That thing is a beast.

I think that is what TBTeam rolls up in. Sweet rig.
Whymee
3/20/2019 1:40pm
newmann wrote:
What's your budget? And how many bikes do you plan to haul? I bought my Super C garage coach lightly used back in 2009 when the...

Newman,

I came across your post from 09 in my search. GLad you included pics in my post, because they were nowhere to be found in your OP. I am considering this type of hauler.

I do not really have a budget. Obviously I am not going to plonk down a half a million on this hauler. I want something that is going to suit me but not break the bank. I do not have to buy right now. Just like you, I would like to find a "deal"!

Up to 6 bikes hauling around with me. Plus a pitbike for the pit bike races that are at the nats. I might trim the six down, but I would rather not.

Agreed about being at the camping spot and not being able to leave to flitter around what ever area of the country I am in. I can use a street bike, but it is hard to grocery shop on a RZ350. Then again with planning ahead, stopping to stock up before you pull in to your destination is the norm I am sure. There is always something you need to run after though.

I really want a super C with a garage, but I am not sure if that is the right way to go. I need transportation after I set up camp.
5th wheel toyhauler is also being considered. My current one does not have pluming for a washer & dryer. A big minus for long trips.
I do like the Thor Outlaw. Gas motor is a minus.

Thanks for the responses. I am using the search function here. I just need more info on the showhauler and the class A type vehicles. They are sweet...
Preston412
3/20/2019 1:50pm
I will say it once STAY AWAY FROM THOR products

I sell RV's and it depends on your primary needs. For the money, you can get a diesel truck and a good 5th wheel toy hauler for the price of a Super C.
5th wheel is a hell of lot less to own when it comes to insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs.
Just call me at 904-436-6901 and ask for Preston on friday and I will answer everything I can and give you the best advice I have for you to make the right decision.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
3/20/2019 2:00pm
I did a lot of research last year on this subject. Anything owned by the companies that Thor has taken over seems to have taken a real quality hit! They ALL seem to have problems so make sure you have a dealer with in a decent range. I settled on a XLR Thunderbolt by Forrest River.
I am not sure if I had to do over with that I may have went with a custom built race trailer with living quarters up front!
snackfedbear
3/20/2019 2:50pm
If it’s just you, why not just get a badass diesel sprinter and tow small enclosed trailer? Seems like budget isn’t much of an option.
Unless you’re looking to pull multiple big chicks at night and need more space to “spread out” (completely valid reasoning) you probably don’t need the extra room that a huge fifth wheel or Diesel pusher would take
lumpy790
3/20/2019 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2019 3:11pm
FOR SALE:

Prime Time RV Fury toy hauler travel trailer model 3110 highlights:

10'0" Separate Garage Area
Dual Happijac Sofas
Two Slide Outs
Dual Entry
Hutch

When you are ready for some off-road fun, take a look at this Prime Time Fury toy hauler travel trailer model 3110 to make that happen! First you can load your toys using the spring assist ramp door with 3,000 pound capacity. You even have the option of choosing the Party patio kit if you need more outdoor space above ground. The separate garage area provides 10'0" of toy parking space, and a side man door. You will also find dual Happijac sofas. The main living and kitchen area offers everything you need to whip up meals including more floor space thanks to the dual opposing slide outs. You will find several more features such as a designer headboard and bedspread for the queen bed, mirrored wardrobe doors, and massive under-bed storage, plus more!

The Fury toy hauler by Prime Time RV includes an aerodynamic profile and heavy duty Dexter axles for a smooth tow where ever you go. There is a 20 gallon fuel station and Zamp Solar package with 3 port roof shroud, an inverter, and digital control panel for those off-grid trips. The exclusive Eternabond construction, fully walkable roof, plus heated and enclosed underbelly will have you camping with your off-road toys during any season for many years to come. You also have complete kitchen and bath amenities.

$35,000
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/20/2019 5:49pm
newmann wrote:

Sweet Rig! Although I feel I would have to ride a lot better than I do to show up in that!
Eddieg15
3/20/2019 7:08pm
C class w enclosed trailer. C class easier to sell. Better to get around

Post a reply to: Advice on a toyhauler/racehauler/class A

The Latest