Adventure bikes, any you moto guys ride?

mxmaniac
Edited Date/Time 3/27/2020 7:09am
Any of you moto nuts ride adventure bikes aswell? I like the ktm1290.
I would like to hear peoples experiences with all brands good or bad while we have time to kill.
I intend on smashing out road miles and dirt also. If I want to go proper riding I will take my endure bike.
|
Motofinne
3/23/2020 2:54am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 2:55am
They are pretty cool. The new KTM 790 Adventure R Rally looks like a weapon. Really, really expensive but you get Cone Valve forks, Trax shock, carbon fiber engine protection, Akrapovic Ti slip-on etc. That is probably a bike that you could rip around a moto track with smaller jumps.
WDSRCR
3/23/2020 5:02am
I have a Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports.

I would love a 790 but where I am in Ohio, doesn't give me much use for its capabilities. The A-Twin is decent offroad and good on road.

GTM
3/23/2020 5:15am
I ride both,... my adv bike is a 2018 KTM 1090R, coming off a 990. The 1090 is a great all around machine with a allot of aftermarket options. These bikes are so versatile, great for day trip on backtop, or pounding up a rocky trail, they do it all..
3/23/2020 5:16am
Dollar for dollar, nothing beats a KLR650. It will literally go anywhere, and you won’t feel guilty when you drop it on a trail somewhere.

The Shop

3/23/2020 5:54am
Love my 1090R, as an all rounder, pretty hard to beat ! Dont mind getting her filthy, but a bitch when you drop her !

jbonemalone
3/23/2020 5:54am
I’ve owned countless klr650’s. An Africa twin, a ktm 1190 and now have an Aprilia Caponord rally 1200.
Every one of them have certain aspects that blow me away. I have a soft spot for my Aprilia and it’s ability to eat miles of rough asphalt and gravel. It’s a little quicker than my ktm 1190 was and better at everything but being cheap than my ole Klrs.
However in all around usiability I fee like my Africa twin, however underpowered it is comparatively speaking , was the better motorcycle. Just basically easier to live with.
I have taken this pig down single track and sand, gravel and asphalt. Some mud and a few times around a gnocchi type course with a little bit of moto track dropped in. It took it all with class. As long as you remember there’s 500 lbs you are working with you can make good time.
Interesting facts about the Aprilia: it has fewer dealers so if it breaks you’re kind of in your own to find a dealer and get your rig there.
It’s never not started nor not made it home!
I’ve never had a light come on the dash other than low traction, it’ll do that on asphalt too. 😬
The windscreen is useless if you’re over 6ft tall.
The luggage is the best of all the bikes I’ve mentioned.
It has tubeless spokes wheels. That’s a plus for repairs on the roadside. Keep some plugs and a pump.
The ktm was fun, probably better suspended but was like grilling your nutsack in the summer.
It felt heavy and cumbersome because it was bit the forks and shock worked great. I even did a small double on it.
It broke. Constantly. Electric gremlins and whatnot were killing the vibe. Had it not been a problem almost every ride I would have never gotten another.
The Africa twin was a sewing machine. Never leaked or faultered. Never a light not a single problem. But it was so boring to ride. Not like the ride was boring the bike just had no character for me. It was a fine motor cycle but I just didn’t feel cool I guess is the term I’m looking for. I felt like an old dude on a gold wing. But maybe that was a good thing.
You need to just go sit on a few and see. I’d love to try a new Yamaha t7. I think that bike would do me well. As maybe a new ktm 790.
this is my Aprilia
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/23/2020 6:04am
I bought this 1190 as couple of years ago and it is a amazing machine. I found it used with 1,500 miles on it and saved a few thousand off of new bike prices. Not sure how it does off road. I use mine for mainly street and fire roads. It is heavy so I imagine soft sand would be a bitch unless you are hauling ass. On the street it is amazing. This bike is waaaay beyond my abilities
katooom
3/23/2020 6:45am
2005 KLR 650. Cheap. Stone axe simple. EZ to fix. Will go anywhere.
Dimblewambie
3/23/2020 7:41am
I’ve got a 990 adventure, my pop rides a 640 adventure. I’ve only had the bike a few weeks but riding around all of this last weekend I have to say I have the same control and feel offroad riding as my 450 back in the day, it’ll go anywhere I’m capable of going and as fast or slow as I want. And then on the roads, be it main highways or side streets the size and comfort is extremely enjoyable. I did bury it up this tight/steep single track trail yesterday and couldn’t walk it up like you could a 450 or a smaller dual sport.

Met a guy out on a big fire road stretch of trail who was on a 1290 adventure, he said he loves the bike for doing longer mellower trips/trails but not getting ultra technical, that’s what he has a 525 EXC for.

mikie44
3/23/2020 7:53am

Love my Twin. One of the most fun bikes I've owned.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/23/2020 8:03am
mikie44 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/23/412583/s1200_6807204255725447628_IMG_1762.jpg[/img] Love my Twin. One of the most fun bikes I've owned.

Love my Twin. One of the most fun bikes I've owned.
I think ADV bikes are perfect for guys like me (60) who don’t feel safe Motocrossing at this age. Incredible power, sweet road handling, and when you come across some trails y out can turn off the road and take off. I loved my MXing days but between ADV and my big cruiser I am having the time of my life on motorcycles. What’s nice is you can walk out to the garage and take off. No loading up and driving to the tracks anymore. Pay for gas and that’s it...forgot about the tacos I search for along the way
lumpy790
3/23/2020 8:11am
Motor wise how do they compare for off-roading?

Have been thinking about a CRF450L for the RV scrambler
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/23/2020 8:34am
For anyone looking for a ADV bike you need to consider where you will primarily be riding. My 1190 is fantastic on the street with its heavy weight, off road it’s not nimble and more like a tank. But since I use it off-road maybe 10% of the time it works out perfect. Some of the lightweight bikes that are great for single track will be lacking on the road if you have a long ride to get you where your going.
AK74
3/23/2020 8:47am
I bought this Yamaha Super Tenere last year. Absolutely love it.

tvo314
3/23/2020 8:49am
katooom wrote:
2005 KLR 650. Cheap. Stone axe simple. EZ to fix. Will go anywhere.
My buddy and I each got 2005 KLRs and rode up to Alaska and back. The bikes had zero issues and went everywhere we wanted them to. We'd just pull off into the woods wherever we wanted and set up camp. After the trip we sold them for hardly any less than what we got them for. Such a great way to travel.
3/23/2020 8:50am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 8:52am
Dollar for dollar, nothing beats a KLR650. It will literally go anywhere, and you won’t feel guilty when you drop it on a trail somewhere.
....but it's just so ugly. I can't get past that.

Been thinking about a DRZ-400.... lighter than an adventure bike. They are bulletproof and don't require the crazy maintenance of BMWs, or KTMs.

Dimblewambie
3/23/2020 9:12am
lumpy790 wrote:
Motor wise how do they compare for off-roading?

Have been thinking about a CRF450L for the RV scrambler
Most everything I read is that in stock form the 450L is rather gutless, but with some aftermarket parts and an ECU they do come alive.
dcg141
3/23/2020 9:30am
The 1090R is probably the best bang for the buck for a serious adventure bike. The spring rates are way more off road friendly than its competition. Engine has been around awhile and is very reliable. Rottweiler has some really good mods for it as well.
peelout
3/23/2020 10:51am
i've been wanting to get into it but i don't have any friends in the area that are interested so i don't want to spend the money. we're more into Dual-Sporting on 450's and such. i'm selling my dual-sport 525, was a fun bike but keeping it running well with all the elevation changes became too much hassle.

those big bikes look like fun, maybe some day
Bauer
3/23/2020 11:01am
I have an Africa Twin that I love riding. Did a couple of 5-day trips down in Baja with Simon Cudby, Todd Huffman, TC Corbitt, Randy Commans, Seiji Ishii, Chris Glaspell, Aaron Raine, Scott Harden and Scott Cox and had a blast. We took in portions of the Baja 1000 course as we worked our way from Tecate to Mike's Sky Ranch, to Gonzaga Bay, to Bay of LA to San Francisquito and back again.

I had quite the adventure both trips...you ain't felt nothing until you've high-sided a 530 lb bike in a Mexican sandwash tapped out in 4th gear! That was on Day 2 of the first trip, but I made it the entire 5 days. It really helps when you go with a great group of guys, including our chase team of Juan Carlos Pacheco Banuelos of Baja Voyager. I highly recommend them if you are going to do Baja! It's also nice when you have one of the best moto photographers in the world along for the ride...photos courtesy of Simon Cudby and one of my two favorite cops, Aaron "Raineman" Raines.

ktmwoods
3/23/2020 11:02am

KTM Enduro 690 R w Rekluse, about as perfect as it gets
BIGRIGGIN
3/23/2020 11:30am
I made the transition about 7 years ago after 30 yrs of moto and off road riding. Bought the last year of the trusted and well worked out 2013 KTM990 Baja edition. This lead to the most amazing rebirth and joy of riding for the next 6 years. Getting your gear worked out, understanding how to troubleshoot and repair flats and other issues out in the field, navigation and GPS understanding, free camping in new places, riding and getting way out there on your own or with a few friends who also made the transition. There are no words explaining the freedom these bikes offer and the comfort at which they move you thru the wind. These things are so capable and they eat up twisty asphalt and double track dirt roads at a wicked pace. I always say to my California friends, to not have an ADV bike in the quiver would be like not having a surf board living in Hawaii. 35,000 miles in and the big KTM has not missed a beat, what a marvel of 2 wheel engineering.

mxmaniac
3/24/2020 1:02am
AK74 wrote:
I bought this Yamaha Super Tenere last year. Absolutely love it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/23/412588/s1200_20200323_154614.jpg[/img]
I bought this Yamaha Super Tenere last year. Absolutely love it.

These seem to be a great value for money second hand option. Thanks mate. Very nice. I sat on one in the shop and felt really good straight up.
mxmaniac
3/24/2020 1:03am
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
I made the transition about 7 years ago after 30 yrs of moto and off road riding. Bought the last year of the trusted and well...
I made the transition about 7 years ago after 30 yrs of moto and off road riding. Bought the last year of the trusted and well worked out 2013 KTM990 Baja edition. This lead to the most amazing rebirth and joy of riding for the next 6 years. Getting your gear worked out, understanding how to troubleshoot and repair flats and other issues out in the field, navigation and GPS understanding, free camping in new places, riding and getting way out there on your own or with a few friends who also made the transition. There are no words explaining the freedom these bikes offer and the comfort at which they move you thru the wind. These things are so capable and they eat up twisty asphalt and double track dirt roads at a wicked pace. I always say to my California friends, to not have an ADV bike in the quiver would be like not having a surf board living in Hawaii. 35,000 miles in and the big KTM has not missed a beat, what a marvel of 2 wheel engineering.

Thats unreal mate, thanks for sharing
mxmaniac
3/24/2020 1:05am
Bauer wrote:
I have an Africa Twin that I love riding. Did a couple of 5-day trips down in Baja with Simon Cudby, Todd Huffman, TC Corbitt, Randy...
I have an Africa Twin that I love riding. Did a couple of 5-day trips down in Baja with Simon Cudby, Todd Huffman, TC Corbitt, Randy Commans, Seiji Ishii, Chris Glaspell, Aaron Raine, Scott Harden and Scott Cox and had a blast. We took in portions of the Baja 1000 course as we worked our way from Tecate to Mike's Sky Ranch, to Gonzaga Bay, to Bay of LA to San Francisquito and back again.

I had quite the adventure both trips...you ain't felt nothing until you've high-sided a 530 lb bike in a Mexican sandwash tapped out in 4th gear! That was on Day 2 of the first trip, but I made it the entire 5 days. It really helps when you go with a great group of guys, including our chase team of Juan Carlos Pacheco Banuelos of Baja Voyager. I highly recommend them if you are going to do Baja! It's also nice when you have one of the best moto photographers in the world along for the ride...photos courtesy of Simon Cudby and one of my two favorite cops, Aaron "Raineman" Raines.

Wow, looks like a blast. Thanks for sharing
AK74
3/24/2020 5:03am
mxmaniac wrote:
These seem to be a great value for money second hand option. Thanks mate. Very nice. I sat on one in the shop and felt really...
These seem to be a great value for money second hand option. Thanks mate. Very nice. I sat on one in the shop and felt really good straight up.
2011 model, but looks brand new as ultra-low mileage relative to age (just 14,187 miles when I bought her). Previous owner added a load of accessories for a planned trip to Africa, but this fell-through due to family illness and he sold the S10 to me for £6,500. Lovely to ride, and the size/weight hasn't proved problematic for an average-height chap like myself. My off-roading has been limited to relatively easy routes, and while I'd love to do a Long Way Round, Long Way Down or Long Way Up, that's not on the cards at the moment for obvious reasons. That said, I'm confident the bike would handle the distance and difficult terrain without complaint.

Nick Sanders has done loads of extended trips on S10s and the smaller Tenere:

https://www.nicksanders.com/
3/24/2020 6:26am
Currently on a 17 Africa Twin. Does everything well; blast the highway, get up and down back roads two up, hit any dirt road or sketchy 2 track trail. I do wish I had a larger tank and probably will look to fine tune the bump sticks.

I had a 2004 KTM 950, and believe it was the better off-road. I took that bike into places that I usually would throw my WR450 dual sport in and although would be a bit nervous, always knew I'd pop out. The maintenance log was a pain though; 90min + for an oil change, and did have an electrical gremlin that took a while to track down. I did have a lot of fun on that bike though and would like to find another 990 Baja one day.

The new Husqvarna Nordo 901 looks like a throw back to the 950/990. I will be curious to check one out. I am of a slightly shorter stature, and for some reason never felt comfy on a 1090R; the front and mid section always felt wide to me. Hopefully the Nordo is closer to the 950/990 layout.
kennyc
3/25/2020 12:50pm
2013 Super Tenere. I don't get to ride it much, but it is a blast.

Post a reply to: Adventure bikes, any you moto guys ride?

The Latest