Advantage of VP-style gas cans?

Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 8:59pm
My…maybe 10 year old(?) gas can developed a leak—any reason to go with one of the cans everyone at the track seems to use? What's the advantage over a more traditional can?
|
redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
6/27/2018 11:54am
If I’m not mistaken I think it more for looks and to support a company that takes an interest in moto. I have heard that metal cans are better because they don’t break down in the hot sun and contaminate the gas.
Naanak
6/27/2018 11:55am
Do you mean the cans or the plastic ones?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/27/2018 11:58am
Fuel will leach out of a plastic can and the fuel can also degrade faster. If you use a plastic can, do not store fuel in it for more than a week without some kind of fuel stabilizer in it.
I haven't heard about the plastic contaminating the fuel, but I suppose it's possible.

Here in CA, it's illegal to store fuel in anything except a government-approved can, which of course does not work as well as a VP-style one. The state, in its infinite wisdom, intended to create a spill-proof can. What they managed to design was a can that without fail, will always spill fuel. It is literally impossible to use a CA gas can without losing fuel. And yes, I know how to use the word "literally."
6/27/2018 11:59am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 11:59am
First image I saw with 'hose' attached, though it looks like a old one:

The Shop

kNewc
6/27/2018 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 12:03pm
I use the VP can. I use it for everything. The new gas tanks they sell at the store have those "safety spill" spouts that get gas everywhere and generally suck. So just get a new VP one and keep fresh fuel in it.
Before I go riding I dump any gas remaining in the can in my truck and then get a few gallons to ride with. I also use this gas for my other power equipment, pretty much use premium in everything now. 1 gas can for everything and if you do as I said above it's always fresh gas.
mxtech1
6/27/2018 12:01pm
Just find someone that is throwing away a used 5 gallon metal race fuel can and use that.
6/27/2018 12:15pm
That one is pretty obvious the advantage—but does it somehow auto shutoff once the tank is full? Also doesn't look kind of unwieldy like the VP.
Supermega1
6/27/2018 12:38pm
That one is pretty obvious the advantage—but does it somehow auto shutoff once the tank is full? Also doesn't look kind of unwieldy like the VP.
Yeah it "auto shuts off" when the gas covers the end of the spout. Works really well I have one. Kind of like a dump can for racing but slower.

I use mine on an IMS 3 gallon tank and it fills it up basically to the brim. If I want to completely fill it up I lean it to the side just a little while depressed.

They have 3 and 5 gallon cans. The 5 when full can be a little unwieldy but not horrible. If I was filling bikes up all the time I would consider a 3 gallon for that reason. But once a week for a trail ride, the 5 gallon works best for me.
agn5009
6/27/2018 1:13pm
kNewc wrote:
I use the VP can. I use it for everything. The new gas tanks they sell at the store have those "safety spill" spouts that get...
I use the VP can. I use it for everything. The new gas tanks they sell at the store have those "safety spill" spouts that get gas everywhere and generally suck. So just get a new VP one and keep fresh fuel in it.
Before I go riding I dump any gas remaining in the can in my truck and then get a few gallons to ride with. I also use this gas for my other power equipment, pretty much use premium in everything now. 1 gas can for everything and if you do as I said above it's always fresh gas.
People are really this crazy about their gas??
kkawboy14
6/27/2018 1:14pm
Yes
jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
6/27/2018 1:18pm
agn5009 wrote:
People are really this crazy about their gas??
Must be. I use what gas I have in the can for my bike and pressure washer. When it runs out I put more gas in the can. Haven't had any issues in the 25yrs I have been riding.
kb228
6/27/2018 1:18pm
First image I saw with 'hose' attached, though it looks like a old one: [img]https://content.propertyroom.com/listings/sellers/seller1/images/origimgs/vp-racing-5-gallon-gas-can-tiga-titan-table-tennis-paddles-skateboards-more-8-pieces-1_205201617341662561.jpg[/img]
First image I saw with 'hose' attached, though it looks like a old one:

I use these. Reason being is i hate going to the pump before riding. I can buy 5 gallons of cam2 and it will last 3 or so days. Also i need to keep my mower gas and race gas seperate so the vp container works
TJMX947
6/27/2018 1:24pm
I have a bachelors degree...which doesn't automatically make me intelligent...but I think I'm not dumb.

Moral of the story. I was about to buy a new can at Wal-Mart the other day for lawn mower gas...I couldn't figure out how to use it, thought I was going to break it. I didn't buy one, will probably just try to get another VP style can.
Wells423
6/27/2018 1:25pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
These are the deal! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/27/270776/s1200_7371542A_0B90_4D14_A73D_4597588E0BB7.jpg[/img]
These are the deal!

What brand is that?
TSCHAM101
6/27/2018 1:33pm
the only place you get busted for using the regular cans is generally in BLM land or woods. ive never seen anyone get a ticket at the track.
in Ca that is.
aedwards07
6/27/2018 1:36pm
I have 3 of the normal VP cans everyone uses for the bikes. I bought a weed eater and a little 1 gallon gas can for weed eater. That little non spil can is the biggest hunk of crap. Literally spills gas everywhere every time i use it. Whoever made those “non spill” cans needs to be shot.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/27/2018 2:00pm
TJMX947 wrote:
I have a bachelors degree...which doesn't automatically make me intelligent...but I think I'm not dumb. Moral of the story. I was about to buy a new...
I have a bachelors degree...which doesn't automatically make me intelligent...but I think I'm not dumb.

Moral of the story. I was about to buy a new can at Wal-Mart the other day for lawn mower gas...I couldn't figure out how to use it, thought I was going to break it. I didn't buy one, will probably just try to get another VP style can.
The new safety can actually work really good for pouring a quart at a time into a push lawn mower that is sitting close to the ground so the can has to be tilted before pouring. The self vented flow is slower than shit though and sucks ass to even pour 2 gallons into a dirtbike.
murph783
6/27/2018 2:13pm
I think the nozzles that screw into the metal vp style cans are probably the best way to go fuel quality wise. Plastic + heat =no bueno for fuel
TeamGreen
6/27/2018 2:16pm
murph783 wrote:
I think the nozzles that screw into the metal vp style cans are probably the best way to go fuel quality wise. Plastic + heat =no...
I think the nozzles that screw into the metal vp style cans are probably the best way to go fuel quality wise. Plastic + heat =no bueno for fuel
I just pour straight into the tank from the VP steel cans.
6/27/2018 2:18pm
Infamous wrote:
My new fave gas can. These are awesome and beat the heck out of an old school VP plastic can. The funnel is attached and this...
My new fave gas can. These are awesome and beat the heck out of an old school VP plastic can.
The funnel is attached and this thing is so easy to use. I have yet to spill a drop. I will never store gas in a plastic can again. And don't forget the stabilizer!

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS-Galvanized-Gasoline-Capacity/dp/B…
Yes those are awesome - much safer as well.
slothy
6/27/2018 2:25pm
Infamous wrote:
My new fave gas can. These are awesome and beat the heck out of an old school VP plastic can. The funnel is attached and this...
My new fave gas can. These are awesome and beat the heck out of an old school VP plastic can.
The funnel is attached and this thing is so easy to use. I have yet to spill a drop. I will never store gas in a plastic can again. And don't forget the stabilizer!

did you noticed the quantity/ pricing options lol?

1- 37
2 -180
3 - 2600
4 - 358
slothy
6/27/2018 2:29pm
i like the vp cans. i have this rack on my trailer to carry my 3 cans.

6/27/2018 4:16pm
Falcon wrote:
Fuel will leach out of a plastic can and the fuel can also degrade faster. If you use a plastic can, do not store fuel in...
Fuel will leach out of a plastic can and the fuel can also degrade faster. If you use a plastic can, do not store fuel in it for more than a week without some kind of fuel stabilizer in it.
I haven't heard about the plastic contaminating the fuel, but I suppose it's possible.

Here in CA, it's illegal to store fuel in anything except a government-approved can, which of course does not work as well as a VP-style one. The state, in its infinite wisdom, intended to create a spill-proof can. What they managed to design was a can that without fail, will always spill fuel. It is literally impossible to use a CA gas can without losing fuel. And yes, I know how to use the word "literally."
Hah, this is the truth. Those VP style cans are actually "illegal" in California. You can buy them, but only for use as a "water" container. We were riding in Stonyford OHV (awesome place by the way) and saw a forest ranger tell someone they had to leave or forfeit their VP cans. Of course I had the same style cans, just kept them out of sight! Unreal....
Infamous
Fantasy
2499th
6/27/2018 7:31pm
Infamous wrote:

slothy wrote:
did you noticed the quantity/ pricing options lol?

1- 37
2 -180
3 - 2600
4 - 358
Order 3...I want to see if they also charge you shipping ;P
6/27/2018 8:58pm
Yeah…only thing I've seen posted here is complaints about spilling from no-spill tanks, which I have no issue with.

I've got a few of these and aside from pouring a little slow, no complaints.

Post a reply to: Advantage of VP-style gas cans?

The Latest