Adult vs youth helmet

Related:
Create New Tag

12/14/2019 8:30 PM

My son is getting a pw for Christmas he is 4. He has a big head for his age. He has a youth medium helmet but it’s too small. After measuring his head he fits in a adult xs. Should I get him an adult helmet. I can’t find a youth size that fits based off size charts. I don’t want him not to be able to hold his head up.

|

12/14/2019 9:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2019 9:51 PM

Definetly, get a good quality light helmet, Bell, 6d, Aroh, any if them, they are expensive but worth it, i run a Bell Moto 9 Flex for my 7yo in am adult medium, his head is the same size as mine 😳

|

12/15/2019 4:01 AM

My boy runs and xs bell since age 6.

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

12/15/2019 4:10 AM

For the past couple of years I have been buying a adult helmets for g’son

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

12/15/2019 7:52 AM

Thanks for the responses just didn’t want him looking like a bobble head doll. Definitely not cheating out on his head.

|

12/15/2019 10:19 AM

I guess my boy has had his since age 5 not age 6. He is still in a xs at age 8 lol. For bell the s and xs are the same size shell just different padding.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

12/15/2019 10:22 AM

When Katie got fast enough to break her arm, I never bought another youth helmet again.

|

Better to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

12/15/2019 6:20 PM

After looking and almost buying a xs bell I realized it’s to big for my son according to size chart. But I did notice 6d makes a youth xl. They are on close out for 299 right now also. Guess I got to figure it out tonight. Running out of shipping days before Christmas.

|

12/16/2019 4:22 AM

It sucks being in between with kids as you never know when the growth will happen. Could be next week or 2 years lol. If you get the 6d it will be next week, if you get the bell it will be in 2 years, atleast if your luck is like mine. Just happened with school pants for him from size 8 length to size 10 length in like a months time.

|

12/16/2019 5:14 AM

Ping can tell you but won't apparently

|

12/16/2019 7:17 AM

Problem I've seen with 4-5 yo kids is the overall size and weight of helmets. My daughter could barely control her head movements in a crash. Given the relatively low speeds they're going on a PW at that age, you could also consider a BMX racing helmet.

|

12/16/2019 8:37 AM

The protection of a youth helmet is the same (From most manufacturers). The biggest difference is weight. A child's neck isn't nearly as strong as an adult. If your kid wears a size in the youth range, I strongly suggest buying the correct size.

|

12/25/2019 7:12 PM

Well just to update this thread I got a large youth Troy lee se4. (52.1 - 53.3cm). I measured and I thought it was 52.5cm head. Well he didn’t want to put it on because it was so tight. Finally got it on and couldn’t get it off. He was pissed with me trying to take it off . Lucky I wear a xs. He wore a carbon xs fly today. Didn’t seem loose to me. But I still hate to make him wear extra weight but looks like I’m out of options

|

12/25/2019 7:20 PM

it’s a tough question. If the kid is not racing a real track race, I’d get a cheap/light MTB helmet, they offer full protection but don’t help much in a high speed crash into a brick wall or whatever. Seriously, the PW is a slow pos, no way is a kid going any faster on it as opposed to BMX bike speeds, think about it

|

1/1/2020 10:23 PM

I found the leatt youth helmets are smaller all around and the youth large is the same as my xs adult fly as far as sizing goes. Found it from chap moto for 59 dollars. Now we wait and see how it’s gonna fit.

|