Addy Mahoney Funeral and Eulogy

robkinuk
10/15/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 10:37am
I've been asked to share the words I spoke about my friend Adey at his funeral last Friday.

Adey Mahoney Eulogy
I first met Adrian, or Adey as we all know him, back in 1990 when I organised a 2 week trip to California to take in the San Jose and LA Coliseum Supercross events. That year, the economy had crashed and there was only Adey, his mum Jackie, dad Geoff and another guy Nigel, I couldn’t cancel and let them down, but we had a great trip, visiting San Francisco, Alcatraz, San Jose SX, Yosemite Nat Park, Mammoth Mountain Motocross and LA Coliseum . Adey’s dad Geoff was such a character and will never forget this big security guard at San Jose saying Adey couldn’t come back in the pits in his wheelchair but Geoff soon sorted that out!
Since then we have regularly kept in touch through phonecalls and latterly through Social Media, Facebook and Instagram. It was always great to see Adey, Jackie and friends at GP’s and events at Farleigh Castle. Over the years many riders donated shirts to add to his massive collection, which given time, Jackie and friends will sort and auction off, the proceeds going to “Wings for Life”, a charity dedicated to researching a cure for spinal injury and helping many injured riders with their rehabilitation.
Adey was helped by many over the years, none more so than Nigel Green and his riders from the West Mids Evo Series who included Adey & Jackie at their annual party at Farleigh Kings of the Castle event in July and celebrated Christmas with him and helped sort out his van, amongst many other things.

One of Adey’s finest moments came at the 2016 British MXGP at Matterley Basin. Former Kawasaki GP rider Rob Andrews got World Champion’s Tim Gajser, Tony Cairoli, Jeffrey Herlings and virtually every team in the paddock to run his #73 tribute sticker on their front numberplates, such was the respect and fondness for Adey throughout the MXGP paddock.
Organisers Youthsteam, allowed Adey’s van and awning to be parked inside the circuit, perhaps a little too close when guest rider, Australian legend Chad Reed, got one of the jumps wrong and almost landed in bed with him, much to Adey’s amusement.
Adey was taken seriously ill earlier this year, and doctors advised he wouldn’t be able to go out to events, so the #73 Sprinter van was reluctantly sold. However, Adey fought his way to get better, knowing his idol and legend Ricky Johnson was going to be guest of honour at the VMXDN at Farleigh Castle and he wasn’t going to miss that for the world... A massive thanks to the generosity of Terry Minter and Kurt Nicoll in organising a van, big caravan and the logistics to get Adey parked up in a prime spot across from the tree at Farleigh’s first corner.
Ricky Johnson and his wife Stephanie came over to see Adey and they talked for almost an hour, signed jerseys, photo-calls etc. On the Legends parade lap Ricky rode with a special signed shirt under his bar pad and stopped to pass it to Adey over the fence. The whole weekend, Adrian kept saying this was the best event he had ever been to, he was finally in a good spot, at peace with himself.
Adey, Your sense of humour, courage, determination and strong character will be missed by us all...............but never forgotten.

In closing would like to read out a message I received this week from RJ:

Ricky Johnson

Dear Adey,
I met you for the first time in Birmingham for the NEC Supercross. You were such a strong young man who had just been injured racing his motorcycle but it never stopped you from loving the sport that hurt you so much. It has been 30 years since I saw you last but that courage I saw the first time we met, was still there at Farleigh Castle. I don’t know if I could do what you did You always had a smile on your face and just loved Motocross. No resentment, no bad words about anybody or anything......Just love of the sport.

I think you knew what was coming...... I said I would see you next year and you smiled and said “I don’t think so”
You and your angel of a mother Jackie are both champions in my eyes. Wish I had the strength and courage that you both have. The world would be a much better place with more people like you two. We will bang bars in heaven brother.

Your moto bro from the west side,

RJ
10 hours ago • Sent from Messenger

Please keep in touch with Jackie, she’s going to need all our strength and support over the years to come.

Rob Kinsey
Rob Kinsey Art

|
Moto96
10/15/2018 11:40am
Condelences, nice write up and pics.

Are those from this year at the Vet MXDN or whatever it was called?
10/15/2018 11:53am
Godspeed Moto Bro!
Thank you robkinuk you must have been a great friend!
And what a very special thing you did RJ!
AK74
10/15/2018 12:25pm
Nicely worded Rob. I'm sure the auction will raise plenty of money for a very good cause.
500guy
10/15/2018 12:28pm
What a fighter, thanks for sharing this Rob and RIP Adey.

The Shop

robkinuk
10/15/2018 1:58pm
Moto96 wrote:
Condelences, nice write up and pics.

Are those from this year at the Vet MXDN or whatever it was called?
Yes 2018 VET MXDN at Farleigh Castle.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2478th
10/15/2018 2:21pm
Thanks Rob, you and Adey are what makes this motocross family one big loving group. Pure class by you, RJ, and all the folks in the paddock who showed him so much love.

RIP Moto brother!
Bermworm
10/15/2018 10:08pm
Condolences Rob I'm sorry you've lost your friend thank you for sharing RIP Adey.
TG130
10/16/2018 10:12pm
Awesome !

RIP Adey !
kx93rfo
10/17/2018 6:39am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 6:43am
Until the Again my Friend! Never Forgotten Xx
Forty
10/17/2018 7:15am
RIP
a22
10/17/2018 7:51am
What great man Adey must have been and clearly a huge fan and true competitior of the sport.

Props to RJ for his attention and reaching out to Adey. Very touching and beautiful really for this connection. Also the others who have helped and supported Adey.

Ride on Adey !!!
mxb2
10/17/2018 8:24am
This makes me sad, RIP Adey. Sounds like a great guy.
robkinuk
10/17/2018 10:37am
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I have sent a link to his mum Jackie.

Post a reply to: Addy Mahoney Funeral and Eulogy

The Latest