Additional $1225 in fees over MSRP for new bikes? Really?

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 5/30/2021 7:52am
Okay, so I'm a bottom feeder and haven't bought a new bike in a long time. A Husky dealer in NC says they charge $485 in shipping, $400 for assembly and $340 for "dock fee" in addition of course to any applicable taxes. Another KTM dealer in GA was right in the same range for additional fees.

It's been a while since I worked in a dealership, but is this legit or price gouging? Who gets this money, the dealer or the manufacturer?
|
yak651
Fantasy
214th
5/25/2021 7:10am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2021 7:15am
mark_swart wrote:
Okay, so I'm a bottom feeder and haven't bought a new bike in a long time. A Husky dealer in NC says they charge $485 in...
Okay, so I'm a bottom feeder and haven't bought a new bike in a long time. A Husky dealer in NC says they charge $485 in shipping, $400 for assembly and $340 for "dock fee" in addition of course to any applicable taxes. Another KTM dealer in GA was right in the same range for additional fees.

It's been a while since I worked in a dealership, but is this legit or price gouging? Who gets this money, the dealer or the manufacturer?
Welcome to Covid pricing, the dealer....check out the "crazy" thread

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/This-is-Crazy,1391115?pa…
Brent
5/25/2021 7:14am
With new KTM group products flying off the floor, they can charge what they want. Supply and demand .

My local dealer told me that as of last Friday, he has deposits from customers for over 100 of the 2022 KTM’s , he doesn’t expect any bikes to stay on the sales floor.
kb228
5/25/2021 7:20am
mark_swart wrote:
Okay, so I'm a bottom feeder and haven't bought a new bike in a long time. A Husky dealer in NC says they charge $485 in...

I dont agree with the $400 assembly fee. They open the crate and put wheels and handlebars on. Thats literally 15 mins of work.

The other fees are costs to get it from cali to the dealer and import fees.

Buy a clean used one and let some other idiot pay those charges.

The Shop

mark_swart
5/25/2021 7:24am
mark_swart wrote:

kb228 wrote:
I dont agree with the $400 assembly fee. They open the crate and put wheels and handlebars on. Thats literally 15 mins of work. The other...
I dont agree with the $400 assembly fee. They open the crate and put wheels and handlebars on. Thats literally 15 mins of work.

Yeah, that's sort of where I'm leaning. Maybe all of these new bikes that are selling so fast mean I'll start seeing some bikes I'm interested in pop up soon.
APLMAN99
5/25/2021 7:28am
mark_swart wrote:

Shipping is "usually" what the OEM charges the dealer so it is a 'pass through', although there are times when someone may try to jack that up and make some money on it.

Set-up and doc fees are pure dealer. Not sure if it is everywhere, but any time you hear a radio ad here mentioning pricing for vehicles they refer to a doc fee and they must have to refer to it as a "negotiable doc fee" or else it would be silly for them to do it. Must be at least some sort of state rule if it isn't like that everywhere.

That definitely seems like a larger than normal doc fee, though. Probably taking a little bit of advantage of the increased demand.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
5/25/2021 7:31am
If you’re looking for a KTM, Husky or Honda send me a PM. I have a dealer who is no nonsense and doesn’t charge the crazy fees.
Mcflurry98
5/25/2021 7:56am
mark_swart wrote:

kb228 wrote:
I dont agree with the $400 assembly fee. They open the crate and put wheels and handlebars on. Thats literally 15 mins of work. The other...

I pay the fees for peace of mind.

I bought a used KX450 with 5 minutes on it. It had never even touched dirt. However, it turns out that the previous owner took the clutch out of it and replaced it with some cheap knock off brand basket, hub, etc. The clutch exploded with less than 5 hours on it and I obviously didn't know that the clutch was knock off until we tore it down. I'm just glad it didn't blow on the face of the jump.

I'll pay the extra coin to know that the motor hasn't been touched by some moron. But that's just me.
mark_swart
5/25/2021 7:57am
I was just told by a dealer I called that all of those fees are mandatory for Husky - so basically the MSRP is a joke.
CKNY
5/25/2021 8:04am
mark_swart wrote:
I was just told by a dealer I called that all of those fees are mandatory for Husky - so basically the MSRP is a joke.
He’s full of shit. My 21 TX300 MSRP in Canada was $11,600. I paid $10,600 no fees. The only fixed fee is the freight. The dealer can waive whatever he wants.
yz133rider
5/25/2021 8:06am
mark_swart wrote:
They’ll tell you whatever they want to. Plenty have gotten bikes for msrp out the door. Keep calling around.
sandhills
5/25/2021 8:12am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2021 8:17am
mark_swart wrote:
The dealer is lying.

Check the manufacturer's website, it will list a "freight" or "destination" charge, that is all they're "supposed to" charge: MSRP + Destination + Tax + Reg.

Setup fees - Bullshit, yes it is a labor cost for them but it's already baked into MSRP + Destination

Freight fees other than what's quoted on the manufacturer website - Bullshit, they get charged a flat rate that is covered by the manufacturer set Destination/Freight fee.

Doc fees - More bullshit, they will try to hide it as if it's part of the registration fees, but it's a fee they are charging you for doing the paperwork... as if it's not worth their time.

Dealers can charge more if the product is that in demand, and it is right now, but calling it "fees" instead of straight up markup is just blowing smoke.
5/25/2021 8:28am
485 for shipping, expect that to go up. 2 of my pals are brokers, there mega co has people that study futures. Word is high rates to the end of the yr. a lot of catch up in all manufacturing. Co,s paying drivers crap, huge driver turn over. A lot don,t make what a Cal. Ny. IL. Resident makes on welfare.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/25/2021 8:36am
mark_swart wrote:
sandhills wrote:
The dealer is lying. Check the manufacturer's website, it will list a "freight" or "destination" charge, that is all they're "supposed to" charge: MSRP + Destination...
The dealer is lying.

Check the manufacturer's website, it will list a "freight" or "destination" charge, that is all they're "supposed to" charge: MSRP + Destination + Tax + Reg.

Setup fees - Bullshit, yes it is a labor cost for them but it's already baked into MSRP + Destination

Freight fees other than what's quoted on the manufacturer website - Bullshit, they get charged a flat rate that is covered by the manufacturer set Destination/Freight fee.

Doc fees - More bullshit, they will try to hide it as if it's part of the registration fees, but it's a fee they are charging you for doing the paperwork... as if it's not worth their time.

Dealers can charge more if the product is that in demand, and it is right now, but calling it "fees" instead of straight up markup is just blowing smoke.
This.

Also, here in CA, there is a legal limit to the DOC fee. (It was $45 the last time I knew for sure. Probably not much more than that now.) I don't know about NC, but I'd bet they also have a limit.

The truth of the matter is that these businesses are independently owned. They can charge whatever they want and get away with it. At this point in time, they could charge a $2,500 "Fuck you, it's the last one I have" fee and probably get away with it. (They do that on larger streetbikes all the time and call it ADM, or "Additional Dealer Markup.")
TeamGreen
5/25/2021 8:52am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2021 8:54am
mark_swart wrote:
sandhills wrote:
The dealer is lying. Check the manufacturer's website, it will list a "freight" or "destination" charge, that is all they're "supposed to" charge: MSRP + Destination...
The dealer is lying.

Falcon wrote:
This. Also, here in CA, there is a legal limit to the DOC fee. (It was $45 the last time I knew for sure. Probably not...
This.

Also, here in CA, there is a legal limit to the DOC fee. (It was $45 the last time I knew for sure. Probably not much more than that now.) I don't know about NC, but I'd bet they also have a limit.

The truth of the matter is that these businesses are independently owned. They can charge whatever they want and get away with it. At this point in time, they could charge a $2,500 "Fuck you, it's the last one I have" fee and probably get away with it. (They do that on larger streetbikes all the time and call it ADM, or "Additional Dealer Markup.")
Damn,

This Falcon cat hit that one with an MLB Hickory stick..."And...she's GONE!!! Home Run!"

The only way to deal with this issue, from where I'm standing, is to go find a sensible & seemingly "fair" dealer. There's actually no reason to go thru the "Ride Now Bullshit" that many dealers pull on people. I recently helped a kid out at Pala (He's learning to ride) & he/his dad had laid down $11K for a YZ250F during COVID...and I've heard stories of people paying even more.

Another guy had $8K in a 2021 KX85...that included "insurance" he bought from the dealer...WhateverTF that is?!

I know people that liad down A LOT of extra dollars for the new CR450, too. "Supply and Demand" is a real & true issue; so, you're gonna pay for things that are hard ot get and that's all there is to that.

Moto-Karma: I do whatever I can ot help people locate bikes at fair prices. I get bikes for people out here in Cali/SoCal that come from as far away as Florida, Missouri and "Waaaaaaaaay up north in Redding". It's good for our sport to get people into good bikes and gear and I love helping them do it.

For those of us that want a 2022? I'd line it up NOW.

captmoto
5/25/2021 9:56am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2021 10:01am
mark_swart wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Plus unlock and program the ECU. They assume the liability for the safety of the bike and something in the warranty probably fits in. I don't agree with it but that's the way it is. They can't escape the delivery fee, at least that's what all the guys that tell you how to beat a car dealer say on Youtube.

I've said it before. A bike isn't a life necessity. You can wait another year or two. As much as I would like a new bike and could swing the money, I just can't do it due the the fact that so many other things are costing more right now.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
5/25/2021 10:10am
Why is this a conversation again? This has been the way of the Industry for the last 15 years. Don't buy a new bike then. You guys are are bickering over a dealer keeping food on peoples plate. Most of you don't know what you are are talking about. We pay tens of thousands of dollars training our techs on the latest model year of bikes from each manufacture. That the OEM requries. We get charged freight all day long. They charge us to get shipped on an 18 wheeler. You then get charged, it's your bike. You guys are so shit for the industry. Sack up and pay the fees, Or get the best OTD and take it to the nearest deals, someone will beat it and make you a deal.
sandhills
5/25/2021 10:12am
Falcon wrote:
This. Also, here in CA, there is a legal limit to the DOC fee. (It was $45 the last time I knew for sure. Probably not...
This.

Ah I didn't know that! $80 doc fee limit in CA.

I've been talking to dealers all over the west (yes things are getting desperate and I'm a part of it) and got quotes including as high as $350 doc fee! (Ridenow)

I really prefer the honesty of the major Oregon dealers that will straight up just price the bike $1000 over MSRP but that's it, no fees, the price on the website is the OTD price.
Shaggin589
5/25/2021 10:22am
That’s just how it is right now and if you don’t buy it someone else will.

I bought a 21 Zuma earlier this year. Local dealer down the road wouldn’t budge off $5300 OTD. $3599 msrp $700 freight, $300 document, $200 battery warranty and tax. After some back and forth they took the battery warranty off but that was it.Said it was the only one they were getting this year.
Called a dealer 1.5 hrs away in Kentucky and he said $4200 OTD. MSRP,$100 doc fee and tax. I didn’t even hesitate or try and bargain. Gave him my info left work to go get. Next day the local dealer posted a picture of a guy buying their Zuma. So right now shops won’t do much bargaining because there is someone willing to pay/finance the asking price and fees.
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2816th
5/25/2021 10:28am
Build relationships with your local dealers. My local guy will show his invoice sheet to anyone who asks and barley charge more than that + tax. A lot of the dealers are out there to screw you, but there's also a lot of great people who love the sport and want to get more people on bikes.
Brent
5/25/2021 10:41am
Build relationships with your local dealers. My local guy will show his invoice sheet to anyone who asks and barley charge more than that + tax...
Build relationships with your local dealers. My local guy will show his invoice sheet to anyone who asks and barley charge more than that + tax. A lot of the dealers are out there to screw you, but there's also a lot of great people who love the sport and want to get more people on bikes.
I second this.

If you have a regular relationship with a shop, most owners will go out fo their way to do things for you, including price breaks on bikes.

Sure I could buy tires and stuff online, but when I show at the dealer every week to get expendables, it matters to them.

I'm very lucky to have a close relationship with my local KTM dealer, They go above and beyond to help with special parts and tuning stuff that is only available at the factory level.

Become a regular customer and reap the benefits in both reduced prices and service.

JBecker 72
5/25/2021 10:45am
yak651 wrote:
Welcome to Covid pricing, the dealer....check out the "crazy" thread

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/This-is-Crazy,1391115?pa…
If your dealer sucks, I guess. I don’t support those types of dealers.

This was the invoice for my 2021 YZ250F. I had never bought a bike from them before. No haggling, no hidden bullshit when I showed up to take delivery. This was the exact price I was quoted over the phone when I called and asked the out the door price.

Bret
5/25/2021 10:48am
mark_swart wrote:

kb228 wrote:

I can't weigh in on the cost but the assembly is a little more involved than just installing wheels and handlebars.

Uncrating
Opening Crate
Parts Check

ASSEMBLY:
Handlebars
Throttle Grip Assembly
Front Brake Master Cylinder
Starter Button
Clutch Lever Assembly
Launch Control Mode Button
Engine Stop Switch
Cables and Wiring Routing
Front Fender
Front Wheel Assembly
Front Wheel Installation
Battery
Front Number Plate
Fuel Tank Vent Hose
Brake Disc Cleaning

PREPARATION
Charged Battery Service
Air Cleaner
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Clutch
Drive Chain
Front Fork
Rear Shock Absorber
Tire Air Pressures
Coolant
Engine Oil
Throttle Grip and Cable
Fastener Check
Test Ride
Hi Side
5/25/2021 10:49am
This bubble will surely burst just like all bubbles before it. Unscrupulous dealerships should take heed, buyers/customers have a long memory when they feel as though they've been shafted.
Dimblewambie
5/25/2021 11:01am
I was quoted 2k over MSRP on a KLX110L a couple months ago. It’s just bananas. Showroom floors nearly empty, it’s great to see business is booming, just wish dealers weren’t trying to take advantage of the situation as hard as they are.
Spooner
5/25/2021 5:26pm
How is it 'taking advantage' when the dealers are getting way less units than normal and demand is super high? Hard to keep the lights on with half the sales as usual if you don't bump up pricing. What would you guys do if you were a dealer? I've been in several large dealers recently with less than 5 new units on the floor, doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize that it's hard to pay the bills when you have nothing left to sell.
Dimblewambie
5/25/2021 5:39pm
Spooner wrote:
How is it 'taking advantage' when the dealers are getting way less units than normal and demand is super high? Hard to keep the lights on...
How is it 'taking advantage' when the dealers are getting way less units than normal and demand is super high? Hard to keep the lights on with half the sales as usual if you don't bump up pricing. What would you guys do if you were a dealer? I've been in several large dealers recently with less than 5 new units on the floor, doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize that it's hard to pay the bills when you have nothing left to sell.
Do dealers have a history of keeping the lights on via new unit sales, or parts and service?
Spooner
5/25/2021 5:41pm
Spooner wrote:
How is it 'taking advantage' when the dealers are getting way less units than normal and demand is super high? Hard to keep the lights on...
Do dealers have a history of keeping the lights on via new unit sales, or parts and service?
All of it. Parts aren't exactly easy to come by right now either which also impacts service.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
5/25/2021 5:51pm
Spooner wrote:
Spooner wrote:
All of it. Parts aren't exactly easy to come by right now either which also impacts service.
Most of dealer GP is from parts and service. Mostly OEM parts. Vehicle sales is tricky because to the OEM they want to see a round number but I've seen dealers beat everyone in price and sell way more units than others but still have a low GP.

Post a reply to: Additional $1225 in fees over MSRP for new bikes? Really?

The Latest