Active Suspension - only a matter of time

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
Fox has active suspension pretty much ready to go for MTB and UTVs, and it sounds like it's a game changer. With all of the onboard telemetry pro moto teams use these days, it's only a matter of time before it is used to adjust suspension in real time. A system like this would allow you to program your bike to react more accurately to different terrain than the standard hi/low speed dampening, while also allowing for different programs to be run depending on varying track conditions and rider fatigue. You could even incorporate roll angle to have the suspension react differently in a corner compared to a straight.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2017-epic-991573.html

What do you guys think?
|
TailSoHard
7/1/2016 11:27am
I've been wondering about this and one other bit of tech: GPS-oriented fuel mapping.

I believe MotoGP bikes already use both Electronic Suspension and GPS Mapping, so I'm assuming mx bikes won't be too far behind.
Titan1
7/1/2016 11:33am
Does anyone know much about the forks on that new BMW liter class sport bike? They have sensors that are constantly adjusting the suspension while riding...incredible stuff.

The Shop

7/1/2016 11:41am
Or they could go the way of MR fluid, and have no moving parts. Although I don't know the weight of an electromagnet that would fit onboard.

MR Fluid
rcannon
7/1/2016 12:14pm
Titan1 wrote:
Does anyone know much about the forks on that new BMW liter class sport bike? They have sensors that are constantly adjusting the suspension while riding...incredible...
Does anyone know much about the forks on that new BMW liter class sport bike? They have sensors that are constantly adjusting the suspension while riding...incredible stuff.
I've tried the BMW system. Its pretty good. Better than the stock bike for just riding around. "Active" ? Dont confuse active with predictive. The bmw system is set to respond for the average rider weighing the average weight. Spring rate is not electronic. Its also a Sachs brand. The ohlins is probably better?

Its a 2000.00 or so option and does not compare to something like the fork cartridges from Penske that are set up, and sprung, for a specific rider.

Thats the problem, really, with any production suspension. Its all based on that average rider, in average conditions. Until you can give a tuner, or factory, a specific load and condition, what else can they do?

hillbilly
7/1/2016 12:15pm
It doesn't need GPS,just accelerometers and wheel speed or forward speed..

I think Honda used a shock back in the 80s that was active,on one of the last factory bikes.
philG
7/1/2016 12:15pm
The unpredictability of MX , and the requirement of 'feel' from the rider, i dont see it.

Plus how do you control it ? the stuff has to fit somewhere.
CDswinehart
7/1/2016 12:17pm
What has happened with the electronic fluid control Ohlins was working on in the early '90's? I see GM is using something similar on certain truck suspensions.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
7/1/2016 12:58pm
Electromagnetic suspension like in Corvettes and Ferraris is very similar to this, using inputs from accelerometers and position sensors to actively adjust dampening. The difference between Fox's system and EM suspension is that EM suspension is infinitely adjustable whereas Fox's system switches back and forth between two preset dampening settings (soft and stiff). I'm not sure how the EM dampers would work with such a long stroke, and I know it's a very expensive system compared to non-active suspension.

As for GPS, I was thinking about that. They use that for road racing, and cars like the Koenigsegg 1:One use the onboard GPS to predictively adjust suspension depending on your position on the track. The problem with that, and why it wouldn't work in motocross, is that a dirt surface is constantly changing, and very similar track positions may need very different settings (like being in a deep rut vs just outside of it). Even super accurate GPS systems aren't reliable enough, at those speeds, to tell the difference between lines that are really close together. Especially since the GPS sensor would likely be on your helmet or fender, which can be in a different coordinate position than your wheels.

I for one look forward to this sort of technology, especially if they make it possible for riders to tune their suspension themselves. Plus it would make it easier to use the same bike for different types of racing, like offroad vs. moto.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/1/2016 1:15pm
731chopper wrote:
No thanks.
This.

Automatic systems are rarely automatic and accurate at the same time.
Titan1
7/1/2016 1:19pm
Titan1 wrote:
Does anyone know much about the forks on that new BMW liter class sport bike? They have sensors that are constantly adjusting the suspension while riding...incredible...
rcannon wrote:
I've tried the BMW system. Its pretty good. Better than the stock bike for just riding around. "Active" ? Dont confuse active with predictive. The bmw...
I've tried the BMW system. Its pretty good. Better than the stock bike for just riding around. "Active" ? Dont confuse active with predictive. The bmw system is set to respond for the average rider weighing the average weight. Spring rate is not electronic. Its also a Sachs brand. The ohlins is probably better?

Its a 2000.00 or so option and does not compare to something like the fork cartridges from Penske that are set up, and sprung, for a specific rider.

Thats the problem, really, with any production suspension. Its all based on that average rider, in average conditions. Until you can give a tuner, or factory, a specific load and condition, what else can they do?

Thanks for the added insight...I don't know that much about it (obviously), just thought it was cool tech and maybe similar to what we're talking about here.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
7/1/2016 1:26pm
Falcon wrote:
This.

I'm sure it can be done but it removes so much of the sport of racing. I think there are also financial and, most importantly, safety concerns that go along with it which was the big reason it was banned in F1 if I'm not mistaken.
mx836
7/1/2016 1:46pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Fox has active suspension pretty much ready to go for MTB and UTVs, and it sounds like it's a game changer. With all of the onboard...
Fox has active suspension pretty much ready to go for MTB and UTVs, and it sounds like it's a game changer. With all of the onboard telemetry pro moto teams use these days, it's only a matter of time before it is used to adjust suspension in real time. A system like this would allow you to program your bike to react more accurately to different terrain than the standard hi/low speed dampening, while also allowing for different programs to be run depending on varying track conditions and rider fatigue. You could even incorporate roll angle to have the suspension react differently in a corner compared to a straight.

What do you guys think?
Exactly why I wouldn't expect to see it on production bikes in the next 20 years. The sport is shrinking fast enough already.
RealityCheck
7/1/2016 2:34pm
My street bike, a 2016 Yamaha R1M, has semi-active electronically controlled Ohlins suspension. Along with a plethora of other electronic aids (lift control, spin control, slide control, etc.), it's a game changer. I can ride this bike far beyond the level of any other liter-class sport bike I've ever riden. However, it seems like the jump from pavement to dirt as far as electronic aids go is a huge one. I think the sensor technology is ready - not sure about the software. Programming electronic aides for a dirt bike is going to require AI, which is still in it's infancy.
RealityCheck
7/1/2016 2:45pm
Or they could go the way of MR fluid, and have no moving parts. Although I don't know the weight of an electromagnet that would fit...
Or they could go the way of MR fluid, and have no moving parts. Although I don't know the weight of an electromagnet that would fit onboard.

MR Fluid
I have this on my 2011 Cadillac CTS-V. It's pretty impressive and it's probable that this technology will be one of the basic building blocks of truly active suspension. It's far superior to the servo controlled adjustable shock dampening used by many other manufacturers.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
7/1/2016 4:03pm
731chopper wrote:
No thanks.
Falcon wrote:
This.

How's that carb working out for ya?
mx836
7/1/2016 4:12pm
731chopper wrote:
No thanks.
Falcon wrote:
This.

TriRacer27 wrote:
How's that carb working out for ya?
Carburetors got the job done for 100+ years and still can.
Beast666
7/1/2016 4:48pm
If my memory is still correct Kawasaki Used a rear shock that was connected to the ECU box that would alter the damping of the shock over breaking bumps and such. The problem from what I understood and saw was the rear suspension tended to pack down over whoops and breaking bumps causing the front to rake out and not wanting to turn. IIRC it was 98 or 99 that they ran the shock for a while then switched back to a standard shock.

I could see a semi active suspension that prevents the fork from extending fully and limiting the rear shock stroke going into corners. That was the advantage of F1 active suspension. It allowed the car to lean into the inside of a corner and kept the floor at the best height to allow maximum downforce

Bearuno
7/1/2016 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2016 5:58pm
I think true, active suspension is banned in MotoGP and WSBK - maybe the FIM has banned it in all Motorcycle disciplines?

In racing that does allow the use of semi active suspension, for want of a better description, such as the IOM TT, you don't see the BM riders using the production system. Now, the IOM circuit is quite the fucking nightmare, compared to closed circuit racing and normal Road use, but it's nothing compared to the variables we encounter on the dirt. Please note : I've ridden the BM, and Ducàti systems a Lot, ( and they really are far from being true, active suspension) and the Kawi ZX10 fitted with the Ohlins E shock ( it plugs directly into the Kawis' electrics) and really like them, but, I think it's all a ways off for serious Dirt use.

Handlebar adjustment, be it cable or electronic, I could certainly see, as it's been around for decades now with MTBs. Strange that it hasn't happened, yet, I would have thought that at least one manufacturer would have tried to 'one up' the others by now, at least on the spec sheets / brochure bragging.
PFitzG38
7/1/2016 9:35pm
Oh it's coming, just a matter of time. The question is will the rider adjust it, the crew, will it be pre-programmed for specific tracks, That could be done after a few baseline laps are recorded or will it react on it's own.
7/1/2016 10:42pm
Or they could go the way of MR fluid, and have no moving parts. Although I don't know the weight of an electromagnet that would fit...

MR Fluid
This seems like the way to go, to me.
Mit12
7/1/2016 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2016 11:16pm
Can you afford a $20,000 450MX bike?
kiwifan
7/1/2016 11:23pm
Mit12 wrote:
Can you afford a $20,000 450MX bike?
x2, just wont happen
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
7/2/2016 12:14am
TriRacer27 wrote:
Fox has active suspension pretty much ready to go for MTB and UTVs, and it sounds like it's a game changer. With all of the onboard...

What do you guys think?
Yes 98, Emig used it for bit. Didn't get on with it and they switched back to normal one I think half way through nationals and he started winning again.

Post a reply to: Active Suspension - only a matter of time

The Latest