High KTM and Husqvarna 2018 prices

r103
Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 7:20am
Just saw that a ktm 250f in the UK costs £7199 ($9376) and for 50cc Husqvarnas cost £3500 ($4554). Is there a reason for this increase from last year even?
|
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
8/13/2017 4:51pm
If Alta waits long enough that will be priced comparable to this new internal combustion technology Wink
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/13/2017 5:10pm
r103 wrote:
Just saw that a ktm 250f in the UK costs £7199 ($9376) and for 50cc Husqvarnas cost £3500 ($4554). Is there a reason for this increase...
Just saw that a ktm 250f in the UK costs £7199 ($9376) and for 50cc Husqvarnas cost £3500 ($4554). Is there a reason for this increase from last year even?
That price, for the race 50's, has been nearly the same for over a decade, across all brands. Not that that is a good thing. It just is.

Vital disclaimer: My comment was in general about the full race 50's. I didn't say an exact price nor specify an exact brand.
resetjet
8/13/2017 6:09pm
They just dont like britts.......still sore about losing the battle of britain

The Shop

r103
8/13/2017 7:27pm
kzizok wrote:
That price, for the race 50's, has been nearly the same for over a decade, across all brands. Not that that is a good thing. It...
That price, for the race 50's, has been nearly the same for over a decade, across all brands. Not that that is a good thing. It just is.

Vital disclaimer: My comment was in general about the full race 50's. I didn't say an exact price nor specify an exact brand.
I was on about the increase of nearly £500 for the 250f for the exact same bike
305FC250
8/13/2017 7:30pm
MSRP in the US is $8800. When you take into consideration the power that these engines make off the showroom floor, plus the additional goodies and features that others don't have, plus the difference in build quality, fit and finish compared to the Japanese bikes, the price difference makes some sense.

Look at the review videos of the 2018 yz450f. The frame welds look like they were done by a monkey and that bike is still not cheap by any means. The detail and build quality is just on another level with the Huskys and thats why they cost more. It's not for everyone and if you don't like it you don't have to buy one.
r103
8/13/2017 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2017 7:35pm
305FC250 wrote:
MSRP in the US is $8800. When you take into consideration the power that these engines make off the showroom floor, plus the additional goodies and...
MSRP in the US is $8800. When you take into consideration the power that these engines make off the showroom floor, plus the additional goodies and features that others don't have, plus the difference in build quality, fit and finish compared to the Japanese bikes, the price difference makes some sense.

Look at the review videos of the 2018 yz450f. The frame welds look like they were done by a monkey and that bike is still not cheap by any means. The detail and build quality is just on another level with the Huskys and thats why they cost more. It's not for everyone and if you don't like it you don't have to buy one.
I own a 2017 ktm however i was wondering why the 250f seems to get more expensive every year for the same model
8/13/2017 7:47pm
KTM's and such have always cost a bit more. In recent years MX bikes have had a lot of new technology and that means money. As this becomes older it becomes cheaper.
kiwifan
8/13/2017 9:22pm
305FC250 wrote:
MSRP in the US is $8800. When you take into consideration the power that these engines make off the showroom floor, plus the additional goodies and...

I agree with everything you said except the one bit about build quality, fit and finish...1 or 2 Japanese manufacturers are better....
wardy
8/13/2017 10:00pm
just wait for that "tax" to kick in, if you think it's high priced now.
Slosh 112
8/13/2017 10:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2017 10:17pm
Bro... a TC250 is $11,800.00 AUD here... you don't know expensive until you've lived in this country...
22Ryann
Fantasy
4080th
8/14/2017 1:31am
I paid 10,500 for my 16' KTM AUD.. Shit is normal here.
8/14/2017 2:01am
305FC250 wrote:

That whole bottom paragraph is laughable. And wrong. Especially when talking mini's
roninho
8/14/2017 2:09am
I can't blame them. Over here half of the people ride orange so they seem to be doing something rigth.

Just read that AJP (Enduro bikes from Portugal) will offer the AJP PR5 in a MX2 motocross variant.

A KTM SXF 250 is EUR 9.170 and a AJP PR5 MX2 250 is EUR 6.250.
Great price difference, but my gut feeling says not many will buy one.

motocrossmag did a test and they liked the bike for beginners, but they allready start talking about adding a Doma set and some engine tuning so i guess they didnt like the bike that much lol

305FC250
8/14/2017 3:27am
305FC250 wrote:

That whole bottom paragraph is laughable. And wrong. Especially when talking mini's
Laugh away but it's just what I've seen comparing bikes side by side (though I'm only talking big bikes..) and if you watch the videos of the 2018 yz450f it's multiple different bikes that have pathetic looking frame welds. And that is the bike Yamaha gave to these reviewers to present to potential customers... I don't understand it. There's no excuse considering that while being cheaper, they are still a lot of money. That's just my perspective on it. Yours may be different. If you disagree and like your Japanese bikes, that's great, no one is forcing you to buy an "inferior" KTM/Husky.
8/14/2017 4:32am
I guess your not too familar with welding. Alloy welds are much wider and "ropey" looking when compared to steel/chromoly due to the amount that is laid down in a pass to achieve the required strength. Those bikes are most likely pre-production bikes hand assembled and possibly welded so I'd look for cleaner robotic welding when the production models hit the floor.
Yes KTM/Husky do come with more aftermarket componentry and have definitely pushed the Japaneese to lift their game and standard equipment/components and the bikes are now in the last couple of years at or near top of the class depending on your preference, but to say they are on a another level with detail and build quality, is nonesence. I've worked on most brands professionally so am speaking from a hands on experience, and there will be quite a few past and present owners who would argue against your opinion also. Especially mini parnets, but that's a rock and hard place when looking at minibike stock performance.
If you're happy paying higher prices for your Husky/KTM, well good for you. KTM has really built up brand loyality and esteem while pushing the prestige brand bullshit also that has worked so well at making customers feel like they are getting so much extra.
8/14/2017 4:36am
Everything increases in price as time goes on.

It's supply versus demand: companies can charge whatever people will pay.
resetjet
8/14/2017 5:32am
I guess your not too familar with welding. Alloy welds are much wider and "ropey" looking when compared to steel/chromoly due to the amount that is...
I guess your not too familar with welding. Alloy welds are much wider and "ropey" looking when compared to steel/chromoly due to the amount that is laid down in a pass to achieve the required strength. Those bikes are most likely pre-production bikes hand assembled and possibly welded so I'd look for cleaner robotic welding when the production models hit the floor.
Yes KTM/Husky do come with more aftermarket componentry and have definitely pushed the Japaneese to lift their game and standard equipment/components and the bikes are now in the last couple of years at or near top of the class depending on your preference, but to say they are on a another level with detail and build quality, is nonesence. I've worked on most brands professionally so am speaking from a hands on experience, and there will be quite a few past and present owners who would argue against your opinion also. Especially mini parnets, but that's a rock and hard place when looking at minibike stock performance.
If you're happy paying higher prices for your Husky/KTM, well good for you. KTM has really built up brand loyality and esteem while pushing the prestige brand bullshit also that has worked so well at making customers feel like they are getting so much extra.
I have both a yami and ktm 250f. If you ask me the fit and finish of the yami is laughable compared to the ktm but it works. The quality of the welds, bolts, brake components, plastic items, peg, shifter and brake pedals is just not on par. It is also alot heavier, but i love riding the yami. Critique what you ride not what you dont own and hate.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/14/2017 7:15am
The 350's went up approx $500 this year.
Not approx, bro. That term is tossed around incorrectly all the time. How about just saying went up 500 bucks? Or did it actually go up approximately $500

I see your in the trailer business so I find this very funny. I went and picked up a 14' trailer the other weekend. When I called the place to see if they had any in stock, I asked what the cost was. The first word out of the guys mouth was approximately. Guess what,. that was not nearly what the actual price was. Because of this, I told them I would walk if they would not live up to the word.
kkawboy14
8/14/2017 7:17am
That's cheap to get the same championship bike Dungey had!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
8/14/2017 7:38am
resetjet wrote:
I have both a yami and ktm 250f. If you ask me the fit and finish of the yami is laughable compared to the ktm but...
I have both a yami and ktm 250f. If you ask me the fit and finish of the yami is laughable compared to the ktm but it works. The quality of the welds, bolts, brake components, plastic items, peg, shifter and brake pedals is just not on par. It is also alot heavier, but i love riding the yami. Critique what you ride not what you dont own and hate.
The Yamaha 250F is only 4 pounds heavier than the KTM.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/what-the-2017-motocross-bikes-really-wei…
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/14/2017 8:19am
r103 wrote:
Name anything that gets cheaper from year to year.
mxb2
8/14/2017 8:21am
r103 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
X2, people want technology with 1990 prices. Be careful what ya ask for. They wanted four strokes,. Now hate them lol.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
8/14/2017 8:24am
GuyB wrote:
Motonews.com domain name
ob
8/14/2017 8:26am
The prices go up every year no matter if they change or not. But maybe the currency exchange rate in your country has a bigger effect on price.
Francis377
8/14/2017 8:55am
All comes down to supply and demand, doesnt it?

If you think KTM is being greedy and making too much profit from their MX bikes then think again. Profit margin for MX bikes is estimated around 25% for the OEMs. (that's before dealer discounts , cost for recall , warranty all that stuff). The profitable items are aftermarket components. Pipes, gear, goggles , "bling" etc. are closer to 50%. So if you wanna complain about the big bad capitalists, leave the OEMs alone.

we dont get many threads with people complaining about the prices of Pipes or Fly bike stands. for example, why do you think fly sells bike stands? is it because they have developed a superior bike stand and they want you to have all its benefits? No, it's because they're easy to source, store, distribute, low risk and you make a nice profit if you can get to the right volume.

dont wanna pick on fly either, just have the impression that they can do no wrong because they sponsor matthes's show. whereas the OEMs, they are evil and should put more money in teams, rider salary etc. right? well i think the OEMs dont get enough respect and get ripped for their pricing while all it takes for a gear company to give a free set of gear to a privateer and they are seen as heroes on vital.

if the KTM is too expensive for you dont buy it. that's all you can do if you want prices to come down.
Tracktor
8/14/2017 9:28am
305FC250 wrote:

Who builds competitive minis besides KTM/Husky & Cobra? I know you can't be saying Cobra's welding is top notch? I liked our Cobras when on 50's but the frames broke every few rides. Same with the on Cobra 65 we tried.........
JohnMatrix
8/14/2017 9:48am
Francis377 wrote:
All comes down to supply and demand, doesnt it? If you think KTM is being greedy and making too much profit from their MX bikes then...
All comes down to supply and demand, doesnt it?

If you think KTM is being greedy and making too much profit from their MX bikes then think again. Profit margin for MX bikes is estimated around 25% for the OEMs. (that's before dealer discounts , cost for recall , warranty all that stuff). The profitable items are aftermarket components. Pipes, gear, goggles , "bling" etc. are closer to 50%. So if you wanna complain about the big bad capitalists, leave the OEMs alone.

we dont get many threads with people complaining about the prices of Pipes or Fly bike stands. for example, why do you think fly sells bike stands? is it because they have developed a superior bike stand and they want you to have all its benefits? No, it's because they're easy to source, store, distribute, low risk and you make a nice profit if you can get to the right volume.

dont wanna pick on fly either, just have the impression that they can do no wrong because they sponsor matthes's show. whereas the OEMs, they are evil and should put more money in teams, rider salary etc. right? well i think the OEMs dont get enough respect and get ripped for their pricing while all it takes for a gear company to give a free set of gear to a privateer and they are seen as heroes on vital.

if the KTM is too expensive for you dont buy it. that's all you can do if you want prices to come down.
Couldn't agree more. Yeah the bikes are expensive but it's all relative. KTM is basically on a three year release cycle with chassis and engine design. They're able to push forward developing some of the most technically advanced bikes available because of this. Maybe it's just me, but I appreciate the innovation and can understand that it comes at a cost. If they weren't putting e-start on mx bikes for the past several years do you think the Japanese manufacturers would be doing it now? How about decent bars, chains, etc. I remember the days of buying a Japanese mx bike that came with steel bars and chain not suitable for a mountain bike. They are forcing the rest of the OEM's to follow suit.

I just bought a leftover '17 350 sxf to save a few bucks last week. All week I've been looking for stuff that I think I should add onto the bike. Well I rode it this weekend and aside from a good seat cover it doesn't NEED a damn thing. I can't say that about any other brand bike I've owned. If KTM/Husqvarna have to raise the price of their bikes $100 every year or two, I'm okay with that.

Post a reply to: High KTM and Husqvarna 2018 prices

The Latest