About Davey Coombs...

TeamGreen
3/25/2010 10:30am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:46pm
A lot of Angst, Anxiety and out-right crap is bein' spewed about the current Glen Helen situation and I wanted to offer up some clarity...

Coombs is guilty.

Yup.

He's guilty of tryin' to maintain an open line of communication with you, the "Moto-Head-Public"...

He's out of his head.

Somehow, the guy comes in here and tells you EXACTLY what's goin' on and you throw him under the bus for it.

Classic.

Btw, he and I have NO business relationship. I don't advertise with Racer-X & I'm not involved with MX SPorts other than I go to the Races and help some Teams find Sponsors.

We DO, however, hang out now and then and talk about Family, the industry and racing...like a coupl'a absolute Moto-Geeks. For a few years now...we'll have a beer after the day's done and talk about...you guessed it...

MX Racin'...

He's a walkin' Moto-History book. He's an ABSOLUTE MOTO-GEEK! He has been tryin' to pull off some events, for all of our benefit, that make ALL of us get a chance to be involved in this sport at the BEST Level(s) that can be ACHIEVED!

Anyone go to the Am. races at this years Daytona SX? I did.

(You WOULDN'T BELIEVE that Audacious things he's tryin' to pull off for the GNCC crowd...)

That's the thing: He does this because he's the goofiest-moto-fan there is.

He does everything with-in his power to make OUR sport better; because, he loves it.

Some of us would do well to put has much of oursleves into the things we truly love...

But, some of you won't even "get" what I've just told you.

And that's jus' sad...

(This is where some-one calls me a "Nut-Hugger"...)

See you at Hangtown!
|
Masonry
3/25/2010 10:33am
Davey Coombs seems like a nice guy but there are definitely people who don't like him at all or can't work with him.
motokid40
3/25/2010 10:33am
Nut hugger! J/K!
TeamGreen
3/25/2010 10:35am
motokid40 wrote:
Nut hugger! J/K!
Ouch.

From one of my own, too.

Oh, tha pain...the pain...

F'it.

I'm puttin' a new 120 on the rear and findin' you!

500guy
3/25/2010 10:36am
I like Davey

I can say I am totally bummed about Glen Helen.

I know it's business but I can still dislike the outcome.

The Shop

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/25/2010 10:39am
500guy wrote:
I like Davey

Yup, and there are two parties to that outcome. I can be disappointed and still respect them.
rubarb
3/25/2010 10:40am
fuck the outcome, fuck the outcome
3/25/2010 10:44am
He can only control his side of it. Sometimes negotiations fall apart. People need to get over it. I still miss Gainseville!
TeamGreen
3/25/2010 10:44am
500guy wrote:
I like Davey

Yup, and there are two parties to that outcome. I can be disappointed and still respect them.
What a concept!

Can you spread that thought around...?

I might help this place!
SCIENCE
3/25/2010 10:47am
I agree with many if not most of your points and like DC. However, if you think shorter, smoother, man made (with press boxes and corporate suites) tracks are better for MX you are way off. If this is DC's vision (hopefully doing it better than Luongo) than so be it. At best, it will be an SX/MX hybrid that we will have to learn to like or move on. Time will tell.
oldx
3/25/2010 11:06am
TeamGreen wrote:
A lot of Angst, Anxiety and out-right crap is bein' spewed about the current Glen Helen situation and I wanted to offer up some clarity... Coombs...
A lot of Angst, Anxiety and out-right crap is bein' spewed about the current Glen Helen situation and I wanted to offer up some clarity...

Coombs is guilty.

Yup.

He's guilty of tryin' to maintain an open line of communication with you, the "Moto-Head-Public"...

He's out of his head.

Somehow, the guy comes in here and tells you EXACTLY what's goin' on and you throw him under the bus for it.

Classic.

Btw, he and I have NO business relationship. I don't advertise with Racer-X & I'm not involved with MX SPorts other than I go to the Races and help some Teams find Sponsors.

We DO, however, hang out now and then and talk about Family, the industry and racing...like a coupl'a absolute Moto-Geeks. For a few years now...we'll have a beer after the day's done and talk about...you guessed it...

MX Racin'...

He's a walkin' Moto-History book. He's an ABSOLUTE MOTO-GEEK! He has been tryin' to pull off some events, for all of our benefit, that make ALL of us get a chance to be involved in this sport at the BEST Level(s) that can be ACHIEVED!

Anyone go to the Am. races at this years Daytona SX? I did.

(You WOULDN'T BELIEVE that Audacious things he's tryin' to pull off for the GNCC crowd...)

That's the thing: He does this because he's the goofiest-moto-fan there is.

He does everything with-in his power to make OUR sport better; because, he loves it.

Some of us would do well to put has much of oursleves into the things we truly love...

But, some of you won't even "get" what I've just told you.

And that's jus' sad...

(This is where some-one calls me a "Nut-Hugger"...)

See you at Hangtown!
What a giant suckle this post is.
3/25/2010 11:09am
And guys I think the fact that DC even comes on here to explain the decision is well crazy. haha. Kind of like if the commissioner of the NFL went on to the Cleveland Browns message board after they were moved to Baltimore and explained the move in every little detail personally. To me this is a guy who cares enough about the sport to defend his decisions in depth to us the fans or whoever is on here when he clearly doesn't need too.
3/25/2010 11:09am
DC cant be all that bad after all he's all for 250 2 strokes racing against 250 4's ... Evil
motogrady
3/25/2010 11:16am

Hey, the guy is American Motocross.
I've heard he could have cashed out long ago, for millions upon millions upon millions.
But he keeps sluggin thru the mud and B/S.
Why?
Because the guy IS American Motocross.
mjskier
3/25/2010 11:17am
However, if you think shorter, smoother, man made (with press boxes and corporate suites) tracks are better for MX you are way off.

Denver doesn't fall in this category, and it is still on the schedule.
I'm not sure fingers have to be pointed, but if they do I would be inclined to point them to the only track that fell off the series...
SCIENCE
3/25/2010 11:23am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2010 11:24am
mjskier wrote:
[b]However, if you think shorter, smoother, man made (with press boxes and corporate suites) tracks are better for MX you are way off.[/b] Denver doesn't fall...
However, if you think shorter, smoother, man made (with press boxes and corporate suites) tracks are better for MX you are way off.

I'm not sure fingers have to be pointed, but if they do I would be inclined to point them to the only track that fell off the series...
Lakewood was way over groomed for TV last year. And while it did used to host an National back in the day, the current track is more man made than not. It does look like a cool track and I may venture out there for the MXDN. However, as new age as it may be w/the big screens and press access, it is not an MX track in the true sense. I am really pointing fingers at the future of the series as we know it. SX/MX hybrid, made for tv at best. It is a shame.
jasonward73
3/25/2010 11:30am
mjskier wrote:
[b]However, if you think shorter, smoother, man made (with press boxes and corporate suites) tracks are better for MX you are way off.[/b] Denver doesn't fall...

SCIENCE wrote:
Lakewood was way over groomed for TV last year. And while it did used to host an National back in the day, the current track is...
Lakewood was way over groomed for TV last year. And while it did used to host an National back in the day, the current track is more man made than not. It does look like a cool track and I may venture out there for the MXDN. However, as new age as it may be w/the big screens and press access, it is not an MX track in the true sense. I am really pointing fingers at the future of the series as we know it. SX/MX hybrid, made for tv at best. It is a shame.
I think RV mentioned on a recent Moto Show (then one Mathes and Lindsay do) that the excess grooming of the Lakewood track to make it highway smooth was a result of a safety concern for the riders since the lighting of the track was sketchy. In other words, the lighting wasn't good enough for them to let the track be full of holes and ruts.

jndmx
3/25/2010 11:43am
All I need to know about how core of a moto guy DC is I saw at Loretta's this year.

Mid-week after hellish rains the night before, don't remember the class, friggin humid and hot and there is DC pushing a guys bike from the middle of the track all the way off to the announcers tower area with no rear wheel just a rim.....draggin through the thick mud.

No big deal made, no cameras and certainly no money in doing that....just a guy that loves racing helping out a fellow rider.

Took the time to shake my hand and chat for a sec before going back to work.

Say what you will about business stuff but the guy is moto all the way to the bone.
stumpjumper
3/25/2010 11:49am
Davey Coombs is an Icon of this sport and 99.99% of the fans would support his decision,He knows what's best and is going to make it that way!
TeamGreen
3/25/2010 11:52am
Yo, oldx...

Is your glass ALWAYS 1/2 Empty?

I'm jus' laffin'...
3/25/2010 11:58am
What anyone thinks about DC doesn't mean a damn thing. He got 10th place at the Daytona 125 SX in 1985, for christ sakes. He's a stud. Smile
Highsider
3/25/2010 12:14pm
What anyone thinks about DC doesn't mean a damn thing. He got 10th place at the Daytona 125 SX in 1985, for christ sakes. He's a...
What anyone thinks about DC doesn't mean a damn thing. He got 10th place at the Daytona 125 SX in 1985, for christ sakes. He's a stud. Smile
Word.
mjskier
3/25/2010 12:18pm
SCIENCE wrote:
Lakewood was way over groomed for TV last year. And while it did used to host an National back in the day, the current track is...
I can't comment on the grooming since I didn't go last year. I'm boycotting night races: It isn't MX if you don't get to see scantily dressed women with glowing sun burns...
But Lakewood has a lot of natural elevation changes. Most of the local riders love it. We'll find out what the rest of the world thinks after the MxDN.
jndmx
3/25/2010 12:25pm
mjskier wrote:
I can't comment on the grooming since I didn't go last year. I'm boycotting night races: It isn't MX if you don't get to see scantily...
I can't comment on the grooming since I didn't go last year. I'm boycotting night races: It isn't MX if you don't get to see scantily dressed women with glowing sun burns...
But Lakewood has a lot of natural elevation changes. Most of the local riders love it. We'll find out what the rest of the world thinks after the MxDN.
I just want to go on record as saying I fully support scantily clad women with or without sun burns.
bg22
Fantasy
3024th
3/25/2010 12:41pm
mjskier wrote:
I can't comment on the grooming since I didn't go last year. I'm boycotting night races: It isn't MX if you don't get to see scantily...
jndmx wrote:
I just want to go on record as saying I fully support scantily clad women with or without sun burns.
I'll raise a beer to that!!
agency399
3/25/2010 12:45pm
I have been a fan of DC since around 99 when I started following this crazy sport, as well as racing myself. I have read every issue of Racer-X from front to back, including every "reason for being" I even ordered the ones from the year before just to have them. With that said….

I think (IMO) DC is the man who will take this sport to new levels. I know there are some of you who don’t want the sport to grow, and that’s a argument for another thread. And I would agree with what a lot of you would say. Like I said that’s another thread.

In regards to smoother tracks.......they do make the racing better and more exciting for people who have never raced a dirtbike to actually no how hard motocross is. And when I watch a race on TV, I would much rather watch a race where the guys are flying around the track racing each other, not worrying about how bad the kickers are going to be coming down Mt. St Helen for example. I mean yea the riders are doing incredible things, but you can't pick that up on TV.

And how freaking awesome has it been to watch supercrosses live as much as we have this year? I predict the nationals will be like this soon.....

All just my opinion guys......I know change is hard, I still miss Broome, like a fat kid misses cake......when theres not cake around…….I don’t know where I was going with that.
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
3/25/2010 12:48pm
Davey Coombs is an Icon of this sport and 99.99% of the fans would support his decision,He knows what's best and is going to make it...
Davey Coombs is an Icon of this sport and 99.99% of the fans would support his decision,He knows what's best and is going to make it that way!
Put me in the .01% then.

No 2 strokes, no Glen Helen.....what a mess AMA Pro MX is.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/25/2010 12:51pm
Should DC do anything to keep GH on the schedule?
raddad
3/25/2010 12:59pm
Last year i had occasion to talk to DC at the time of the Millville national and when he found out that i was racing in a vet class and i would be racing with my also vet class son, he was impressed that a father my age and his son still raced together and at the millville national amateur day. He had us both set up with pit passes and called me on my cell to make sure we received them at will call! No reason or connection or benefit to DC at all.. He is now officially "Minnesota nice"!

I can imagine that i am not the only one who he has done these kinds of good deeds for, a good guy in my eyes and a good business man also and i would know one when i meet one..
Grendel
3/25/2010 1:02pm
Should DC do anything to keep GH on the schedule?
No. And Glen Helen shouldn't either.

He tried and even Glen Helen admitted in their press release that there were negotiations not just singular ultimatums. All this bluster will mean nothing in a few months.
SCIENCE
3/25/2010 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2010 1:08pm
agency399 wrote:
I have been a fan of DC since around 99 when I started following this crazy sport, as well as racing myself. I have read every...
I have been a fan of DC since around 99 when I started following this crazy sport, as well as racing myself. I have read every issue of Racer-X from front to back, including every "reason for being" I even ordered the ones from the year before just to have them. With that said….

I think (IMO) DC is the man who will take this sport to new levels. I know there are some of you who don’t want the sport to grow, and that’s a argument for another thread. And I would agree with what a lot of you would say. Like I said that’s another thread.

In regards to smoother tracks.......they do make the racing better and more exciting for people who have never raced a dirtbike to actually no how hard motocross is. And when I watch a race on TV, I would much rather watch a race where the guys are flying around the track racing each other, not worrying about how bad the kickers are going to be coming down Mt. St Helen for example. I mean yea the riders are doing incredible things, but you can't pick that up on TV.

And how freaking awesome has it been to watch supercrosses live as much as we have this year? I predict the nationals will be like this soon.....

All just my opinion guys......I know change is hard, I still miss Broome, like a fat kid misses cake......when theres not cake around…….I don’t know where I was going with that.
I agree that DC and MXSports have the potential to take the sport to the next level. Yes change is hard, though it is hard to compare BTSC to GH. I am way more biased towards Broome as I rode and spectated there many times, but GH is in the heart of the industry and considered by many to be one of the best tracks. Smoother/shorter man made tracks is not the way to go. If you want to see guys fly around a smooth track watch MotoGP! Kickers/ruts/2:00+ lap times etc should continue to have a place in the sport. Especially with the equipment that is available today.

Hard to forget the crew at Unadilla knocking down the ruts and filling the holes at intermission a few years back. Fans were yelling and wondering why turn the classic track into a freeway. This is commonplace these days and very sad.

Post a reply to: About Davey Coombs...

The Latest