Abandoned relics of our history

Related:
Create New Tag

7/11/2019 2:16 PM

A friend of mine just took this picture today, if your 50+ you should know what it is.

|

7/11/2019 2:19 PM

I do.

|

7/11/2019 2:22 PM

Copy that!

|

7/11/2019 2:22 PM

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

7/11/2019 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 2:28 PM

Home town I walked by the mound last weekend!! And I’m under 40!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

|

7/11/2019 2:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 2:35 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

Why is it still there? Is it a historical landmark? I would have thought they would have had to take everything out immediately, they would have had to if it was government land.

|

7/11/2019 2:39 PM

Damn.......

|

7/11/2019 2:48 PM

Dude was a lunatic

|

7/11/2019 2:49 PM

My Uncle was there. It was the party of a lifetime from the stories.

|

7/11/2019 3:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 3:13 PM

Guy broke how many bones? google knows copy/paste.

433!!

Evel Knievel was the pioneer of distance motorcycle jumping. And for his efforts, he paid the price. He crashed more than 20 times and suffered numerous injuries, mostly broken bones. His entry in the Guinness Book of World Records states he suffered 433 bone fractures by the end of 1975.

Jul 9, 2018

Nutz

I always thought he pulled the parachute on purpose because he knew that that needle would not absorb the impact on the other side.

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

7/11/2019 4:47 PM

I had forgotten about this. Like the way fake news has a picture of Evels drunk son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSu4skS-vkk

|

7/11/2019 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 5:08 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

RandyS wrote:

Why is it still there? Is it a historical landmark? I would have thought they would have had to take everything out immediately, they would have had to if it was government land.

It’s not really still there, all the steel is gone.. it’s just a huge mound of dirt and some concrete.. the city just put up a sign so that people know what it is. A lot of young people don’t know what it is.. I prolly wouldn’t either but my dad always made us go out there when I was young kid and he talked about how cool it was when it happened.. But standing on top of it, it is crazy that they did the stunt, my local college math teacher did some math and said that he of the parachute wouldn’t have opened he would have went about 2-3 miles past the canyon rim and landed on the other side of the freeway!!

Sidenote— the city of twin was super pissed at him and his team as they raised hell ran up a bill and bounced town before it was settled.. hells angles that were hired by evels teamas the security for the event and beat some ass and bailed also😂😂😂

|

7/11/2019 8:56 PM

I’m confused. If all the steel is gone, what is that in the picture?

|

7/11/2019 9:21 PM

Pops bought me a ticket to watch closed circuit at Anaheim Convention Center and then dropped me off alone, l was 11 or 12, after church and told me to call collect from a pay phone when it was over. 😂

CPS would probably have his ass today for a stunt like that. Ahhhhh the '70s.

|

7/11/2019 9:29 PM

RandyS wrote:

A friend of mine just took this picture today, if your 50+ you should know what it is.

Load it up and auction it off...

|

7/11/2019 10:18 PM

Gworm wrote:

I’m confused. If all the steel is gone, what is that in the picture?

The picture is of the new one that some guy did 2ish years ago.. it’s east of the Hansen bridge about 7 miles away from the original site. I am referring to the evel launch site the original site

|

7/12/2019 4:13 AM

Soooo, who's signed-on to jump the canyon for the next "Evel Live" show?

|

7/12/2019 4:25 AM

I met Evel sitting at the bar at the Crazy Horse in Las Vegas in 1990. I was looking at him and thinking I know that face and then he introduced himself. I was totally in awe.

|

7/12/2019 4:53 AM

Here's a cool story. I live in Kalispell Montana, and Evel was sitting in a bar here called Mooses Saloon when he saw a calendar on the wall of the Grand Canyon. That is what gave him the idea to jump it.

|

7/12/2019 6:32 AM

Pastrana is the modern day equivalent to this legend.

|

7/12/2019 7:54 AM

rhargrave431 wrote:

Here's a cool story. I live in Kalispell Montana, and Evel was sitting in a bar here called Mooses Saloon when he saw a calendar on the wall of the Grand Canyon. That is what gave him the idea to jump it.

Kalispell? Lucky. I skied up at Whitefish resort a couple of years ago. That's some damn beautiful country, I'd love to get back up there some time.

|

7/12/2019 8:16 AM

View from down in the canyon. Base jumpers from around the world come here to jump off this bridge. It is totally legal.

|

7/12/2019 8:19 AM

rhargrave431 wrote:

DoctorJD wrote:

Kalispell? Lucky. I skied up at Whitefish resort a couple of years ago. That's some damn beautiful country, I'd love to get back up there some time.

Whitefish is a great resort! I can't even begin to tell you how good the snow was this last season.

|

7/12/2019 11:41 AM

rhargrave431 wrote:

He must have been about 5 Bourbons in when he came up with that one. You have to admire the dude's visionary spirit.

|

7/12/2019 12:21 PM

rhargrave431 wrote:

Sierra Ranger wrote:

He must have been about 5 Bourbons in when he came up with that one. You have to admire the dude's visionary spirit.

|

7/12/2019 12:37 PM

rickyBobbyJnr wrote:

I love Pastrana but I don't think we are going to see much crazy from him in the future.. I think he is about done getting beat up.

But who knows?

|

7/12/2019 12:55 PM

rickyBobbyJnr wrote:

zippytech wrote:

I love Pastrana but I don't think we are going to see much crazy from him in the future.. I think he is about done getting beat up.

But who knows?

He’s done plenty of “crazy” already, but I agree on future stunts that could be life threatening. When he had no wife or kids, he was busy sending it. But now that he’s a dad and husband, he’s gotta be thinking that it just isn’t worth the risks anymore. It’s not like he needs the money anymore either.....

|

7/13/2019 10:35 AM

mwssquad827 wrote:

RandyS wrote:

mwssquad827 wrote:

It’s not really still there, all the steel is gone.. it’s just a huge mound of dirt and some concrete.. the city just put up a sign so that people know what it is. A lot of young people don’t know what it is.. I prolly wouldn’t either but my dad always made us go out there when I was young kid and he talked about how cool it was when it happened.. But standing on top of it, it is crazy that they did the stunt, my local college math teacher did some math and said that he of the parachute wouldn’t have opened he would have went about 2-3 miles past the canyon rim and landed on the other side of the freeway!!

Sidenote— the city of twin was super pissed at him and his team as they raised hell ran up a bill and bounced town before it was settled.. hells angles that were hired by evels teamas the security for the event and beat some ass and bailed also😂😂😂

That explains why the angles on the steel looks different. I won't tell the guy who took the picture.

|

7/14/2019 6:40 PM

Took these photos last year when I was there

|

7/16/2019 9:47 AM

DoctorJD wrote:

Soooo, who's signed-on to jump the canyon for the next "Evel Live" show?

It was already successfully done a couple of years ago by a stuntman. named Eddie Braun.
My avatar is from that jump.

|