Abandoned or forgotten tracks

2/21/2024 11:09pm
nrosso391 wrote:
COOPERLAND...

COOPERLAND...COOPLERLAND.JPG?VersionId=HZZ3JcdbNmRCSgRLT

crusher773 wrote:
Hurts my heart.  Rode there the last day they were ever open but it sucks.  I only live about an hour and a half or so...

Hurts my heart.  Rode there the last day they were ever open but it sucks.  I only live about an hour and a half or so away now.  I'd be there all the time if it was still there.

Was that the track owned by Guy Cooper? What’s the back story to why it closed? 

crusher773
2/22/2024 8:06am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2024 9:43am
nrosso391 wrote:
COOPERLAND...

COOPERLAND...COOPLERLAND.JPG?VersionId=HZZ3JcdbNmRCSgRLT

crusher773 wrote:
Hurts my heart.  Rode there the last day they were ever open but it sucks.  I only live about an hour and a half or so...

Hurts my heart.  Rode there the last day they were ever open but it sucks.  I only live about an hour and a half or so away now.  I'd be there all the time if it was still there.

Yep.  Guy had sold it long before it closed.  I think it sold twice if I remember right.  The last guy that owned it had daughters whole were Olympic swimmers or something so they were moving to where the training facility was.  Last I remember he had all the nice pipe fencing and stuff tore out and sold for scrap and the land itself went to auction years ago.  I at one point found out who bought it and was able to contact them and they said at that point they weren't sure what they were doing with it or if it would ever be opened back up as a track.  Well that's been about a decade so I'd say it's over.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/22/2024 9:20am

In the summer of 2014, I'd often take my son (4) and daughter (8) to the Carlsbad Raceway Office Park to ride his PW50. They would take turns in a dirt lot on an undeveloped portion of the park that sat, to my best estimation, right about where the top of the "Carlsbad Freeway" had been. I had only raced there once, but I remembered the dirt and the smell of the sea air.

Being a fan of the history and appreciative of the greats who came before me, I took my little ones down into the creek bed that now winds beneath regular old office buildings. We stood at was once "The Wall," then a little farther down and back up to the flat area where the start straight hooked a 180-degree turn onto the track. The faint, barely discernible traces of the track still stood the test of time; I could see where the inside line had been, and a well-defined area where the banners must have stood on the outside. I spoke in hushed, reverent tones with glassy eyes about the Europeans and their dominance, then how an upstart privateer from this very area became the first American to ever win a USGP. It happened right here. Right here. I think they understood. 

levimx22
Fantasy
2202nd
2/22/2024 9:38am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2024 9:45am
crusher773 wrote:

crusher773 wrote:
Yep.  Guy had sold it long before it closed.  I think it sold twice if I remember right.  The last guy that owned it had daughters...

Yep.  Guy had sold it long before it closed.  I think it sold twice if I remember right.  The last guy that owned it had daughters whole were Olympic swimmers or something so they were moving to where the training facility was.  Last I remember he had all the nice pipe fencing and stuff tore out and sold for scrap and the land itself went to auction years ago.  I at one point found out who bought it and was able to contact them and they said at that point they weren't sure what they were doing with it or if it would ever be opened back up as a track.  Well that's been about a decade so I'd say it's over.

IMG 7532.png?VersionId=nW

edit: didnt see that a screenshot of cooperland was already posted. so ive changed it to another legendary oklahoma track. 59th. 

The Shop

2/23/2024 11:16pm
I have no pictures but anyone that lives in Kent, England may have seen or ridden the track that was just past the Sittingborne junction on...
I have no pictures but anyone that lives in Kent, England may have seen or ridden the track that was just past the Sittingborne junction on the M2. You can still see the table top with the tunnel underneath it. Just been left as it was the last time it was used. Not sure when the last time it was used but I rode it in the late 90's, stoney as hell.

I was riding there a lot in the early 2000s.. 01-02 ish. 

Do you remember who used to double off of that tunnel jump? Only a couple people did it, Mark Eastwood being one.

2/23/2024 11:34pm
I was riding there a lot in the early 2000s.. 01-02 ish.    Do you remember who used to double off of that tunnel jump? Only...

I was riding there a lot in the early 2000s.. 01-02 ish. 

Do you remember who used to double off of that tunnel jump? Only a couple people did it, Mark Eastwood being one.

I don’t know who did the double. I’m surprised Mark rode there, he was probably still doing GP’s at that point. 

dinger212
2/24/2024 5:37am
Arkansaw Cycle Park Wisconsin. Favorite track growing up. 

image-20240222114623-1

farm featured at Tbd 4800 County Highway D, Arkansaw, WI 54721

This one stings. I only had the chance to ride there once since i was new to the area. 

I saw it was for sale a couple years ago. It must not have sold?

mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
2/24/2024 8:49am
Falcon wrote:
In the summer of 2014, I'd often take my son (4) and daughter (8) to the Carlsbad Raceway Office Park to ride his PW50. They would...

In the summer of 2014, I'd often take my son (4) and daughter (8) to the Carlsbad Raceway Office Park to ride his PW50. They would take turns in a dirt lot on an undeveloped portion of the park that sat, to my best estimation, right about where the top of the "Carlsbad Freeway" had been. I had only raced there once, but I remembered the dirt and the smell of the sea air.

Being a fan of the history and appreciative of the greats who came before me, I took my little ones down into the creek bed that now winds beneath regular old office buildings. We stood at was once "The Wall," then a little farther down and back up to the flat area where the start straight hooked a 180-degree turn onto the track. The faint, barely discernible traces of the track still stood the test of time; I could see where the inside line had been, and a well-defined area where the banners must have stood on the outside. I spoke in hushed, reverent tones with glassy eyes about the Europeans and their dominance, then how an upstart privateer from this very area became the first American to ever win a USGP. It happened right here. Right here. I think they understood. 

I never raced Carlsbad but drove out from Phoenix to see the 500GP in 79 and 80. So I got to witness Marty Moates winning the 500Gp in 80. That was the changing of the guard when the US started to take over MX. One of the best race weekends of my life. Here Marty is getting the holeshot.

image-20240224114841-1

englishman
2/24/2024 8:57am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2024 9:00am
Falcon wrote:
In the summer of 2014, I'd often take my son (4) and daughter (8) to the Carlsbad Raceway Office Park to ride his PW50. They would...

I live a couple miles from there . All commercial units now and a bloody big Amazon truck parking lot ☹️. We had so many tracks in San Diego back in the day but it’s all just houses now. RJ had a secret Honda test with RDC before signing with those guys at a track in La Costa ( 2 exits south of the turn off for Carlsbad) . If you drive there now you’d never imagine in a thousand years you could have ridden a dirt bike there. Same all over the county - it’s just one big business park & tract home community now 👎🏻

dylanthreesix
Fantasy
1020th
2/26/2024 6:06am

image-20240222114623-1

farm featured at Tbd 4800 County Highway D, Arkansaw, WI 54721

dinger212 wrote:
This one stings. I only had the chance to ride there once since i was new to the area.    I saw it was for sale...

This one stings. I only had the chance to ride there once since i was new to the area. 

I saw it was for sale a couple years ago. It must not have sold?

Last I heard was it was purchased as a track but they couldn't keep up with it so they must have sold it. That pic of the track all overgrown was from a listing that said a deed restriction had been put in place that would not allow the property to be a race track ever again Sad

teledeluxe
3/5/2024 7:16am
teledeluxe wrote:
Best Track I've ever been Asti (Italy)

Best Track I've ever been

Asti (Italy)

image-20240305130315-1

Was that a GP track at one time? 

Yes, about 80 miles away from the famous Maggiora Track. But Asti remains closed Sad

CDA331
3/5/2024 8:17am

we built a track at a buddies house about 20 years ago now, and I went back a couple years ago to that field, all overgrown with weeds and everything but it was so weird to still stand on the jumps.
20 years of my life has gone by while those humps and whoops were still there lol crazy

3/5/2024 12:36pm

What's left of X-Track in Loganville GA (just outside Atlanta). Track was a banger back in the day. Sandy/clay mix. Don't see that much around here.

Screenshot at 2024-03-05 15-32-20

Rickyisms
3/5/2024 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2024 1:45pm

One of a million I got saved up. Mulberry MX. First ever motocross track I rode other than the one dad built at the house. Closed around 2008 after the owner Lionel was killed there with an accident with some heavy equipment. I was probably 7 when I first met him but the guy lived and breathed that track. A6ACA0C1-FC12-4FC4-AAE9-09E2CD7249EA.png?VersionId=Mf6trbovPdr9oNyJ

Post a reply to: Abandoned or forgotten tracks

The Latest