Abandoned Colorado Private Track

Related:
Create New Tag

10/1/2020 5:29 PM

This abandoned track is near my house and I ride by it on my street bike all the time. It's between Colorado Springs and Denver tucked up in the foothills North of Palmer Lake. The house and property and being lived in and look expensive, but they have let the track go back to nature. If they didn't want it, you'd think they'd just bulldoze it.

Anyone know the history on it?

Map Link: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2876781,-104.9598705,614m/data=!3m1!1e3

Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2870281,-104.9608486,3a,29.2y,65.2h,89.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdttxOWI1eRfH3gGqZJK1rA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

|

10/1/2020 5:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/1/2020 5:41 PM

It was a private track and you could buy a membership, it was just called the Plamer lake track. The owners of the land at the time were into motocross and sold memberships so you would get a key, we use to ride there but its always been semi overgrown with vegetation even when it was at the top of its popularity, I remember a few people still going there up until a few years ago but haven't heard if anyone has been there in a long time.

Edit: after looking at the google maps I dont think that is the same track I am thinking of but its been 30 years. There was no house on the property at that time and there were a lot of trees so that looks like someone has just built some tracks on their land.

|

Ed Johnson

10/1/2020 5:44 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

It was a private track and you could buy a membership, it was just called the Plamer lake track. The owners of the land at the ...more

That was fast! Thanks for the history lesson!

There's an active track right on the edge of Palmer Lake. I stopped by on street bike when someone was getting ready to ride and asked about it and they said the same thing: Private track that sold memberships and you got a key to get in. Do you know anything about this one?

Map Link: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1286492,-104.9006343,275m/data=!3m1!1e3

Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1294658,-104.9010955,3a,25.3y,161.72h,91.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQxwS-giYX9WyzD29Hzn01g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

|

10/2/2020 5:42 AM

The second one you posted is as lostboy819 described above. The owners would sell limited memberships to get a key. Not sure if they still do it or not, but it was never maintained very well.

|

10/2/2020 7:56 AM

I live in Monument. The Palmer Lake private track is still in operation.

|

10/2/2020 8:29 AM

se7enmx wrote:

Is La Casa Fiesta still open? So many good dinners and margaritas there when I took a long vacation at my friends ranch in Elizabeth.

|

10/2/2020 9:07 AM

One of my favorite things from the past is when I could just ride out in the wilderness near my town and happen upon a track somewhere. There were dozens. Some were built, some just natural. The culture in my town was to ride from your garage door out into the fields and navigate under freeways, through streams, over hills and far away. My buddies and I did this every day after school. We had names for every single track we found: Phil's, The Pits (hard side and soft side), The Dips, Rubber Hill, Carlsbad (not the real one), Rock Valley, Dye Road, Dye Road Pond, The Hill... good times.
I have a feeling it's not like that anywhere anymore.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/2/2020 9:11 AM

benstone wrote:

This abandoned track is near my house and I ride by it on my street bike all the time. It's between Colorado Springs and ...more

That track was built by a motocross family out here and then there was a dispute with the neighbors and the county. From what I understand they brought one of the well known track builders in to build it (not sure which one) and invested quite a bit of money in the track. The layout is awesome and looks really cool. I think it was ridden only a few times before they were shut down by the county. I drive by there quite a bit and it's sad to see it sitting there unused.

|

10/2/2020 9:36 AM

se7enmx wrote:

avidchimp wrote:

Is La Casa Fiesta still open? So many good dinners and margaritas there when I took a long vacation at my friends ranch in ...more

Yes it is.

|

10/2/2020 9:43 AM

benstone wrote:

This abandoned track is near my house and I ride by it on my street bike all the time. It's between Colorado Springs and ...more

Looking at the massive $ 1 000 000+++ estate homes around it, I'd bet riding is a no go there due to noise/dust complaints.

|

10/2/2020 9:38 PM

Falcon wrote:

One of my favorite things from the past is when I could just ride out in the wilderness near my town and happen upon a track ...more

Yes there are still some places, like Grand Junction or Delta, Colorado. I never ride from my house, its about 2 miles to the nearest access point on country road, but other people do it.

|

10/2/2020 9:57 PM

To be that far out from anything and still get shut down because of noise etc. wow. If you want to have a legit facility you must have to be in the middle of nowhere like Tomac or JS7. That sucks, looks like a bitchin piece of land and track. CO looks beautiful. Need to visit

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

10/2/2020 11:13 PM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

To be that far out from anything and still get shut down because of noise etc. wow. If you want to have a legit facility you ...more

On that topic, if anybody has coordinates for some of the bigger practice facilities, drop em here. Nobody’s house or anything, but factory test tracks and stuff. I like browsing aerial shots of tracks around the world when I’m bored.

|

10/3/2020 6:41 AM

Falcon wrote:

One of my favorite things from the past is when I could just ride out in the wilderness near my town and happen upon a track ...more

We threw dirt clods at each other at construction sites using the foundation digs as WWI defense trenches. Yours was more fun.

|

10/3/2020 7:03 AM

Presley155 wrote:

That track was built by a motocross family out here and then there was a dispute with the neighbors and the county. From what ...more

Damn! That has to be a kick in the gut. Fuckin’ neighbors man...

|

10/3/2020 7:44 AM

se7enmx wrote:

Howdy Neighbor. I live off Baptist road.

|

10/3/2020 7:44 PM

se7enmx wrote:

benstone wrote:

Howdy Neighbor. I live off Baptist road.

I'm off Roller Coaster. Bent Tree subdivision. My son is off Baptist.

|

10/3/2020 8:00 PM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

To be that far out from anything and still get shut down because of noise etc. wow. If you want to have a legit facility you ...more

TheGetFresh wrote:

On that topic, if anybody has coordinates for some of the bigger practice facilities, drop em here. Nobody’s house or ...more

factory test tracks: 33.7834868, -117.4722693

|