AXO? Or A-X-O?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2020 5:33 PM

For me, it was always one word, pronounced axe-oh.

But I've heard it spelled out as Eh-Ex-Oh on a couple of podcasts... is that an American thing?

Going from the website:

AXO is from the Italian "asso", which stands for ace or the winner. The "ss" was changed to "X" because our very first products were MX boots.

|

1/12/2020 5:36 PM

"Axe-oh."

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/12/2020 6:08 PM

I always spelled it out.

|

1/12/2020 6:12 PM

Say "akso". I thought it was Bradshaw that had that on the back of his pants. Couldn't find a picture of it. Maybe someone has it.

|

1/12/2020 6:30 PM

You're spelling Ah-Chair-Bees wrong.

|

1/12/2020 7:50 PM

jeffmc134 wrote:

Say "akso". I thought it was Bradshaw that had that on the back of his pants. Couldn't find a picture of it. Maybe someone has it.

I never knew 'bout that!

|

1/12/2020 7:56 PM

Axe-O kidney belts all around my garage. I still wear one. haha

|

1/12/2020 8:05 PM

devotid wrote:

Axe-O kidney belts all around my garage. I still wear one. haha

It's the smart way to ride!

Saying that, these days, a kidney belt is more of a girdle on me...

|

1/12/2020 8:17 PM

I’ve started several threads on this over the years. I’ll go over it again; Axo is an Italian company. It was originally called “Asso” which is Italian for “winner” or “victor”. When they started making gear for America, they thought having “Ass” all over their gear would be a bad look, so they put an X in instead of ss. Axo. It was never an acronym AXO. Anyone in the 90s in the know, knew this and called in Axo (Acks-oh). There were even stickers made that said ”Say Axe- oh”. All the pros called it Acks-oh, including Stanton, Bradshaw, and RC when he was on PC. Go watch the podium interviews on YouTube. Literally no one called it A.X.O. Anyone who refers to it as A.X.O. is a tool and needs to STFU.

|

1/12/2020 8:22 PM

I’ve always spelled it out, A-X-O...but I don’t know which is right or if there is a right. Btw, I had a pair of those first boots...plastic with velcro straps. I want to say ‘77 or ‘78.

|

1/12/2020 8:48 PM

I always said the word as AKSO and everytime I did she came running.

Way back in 92 I asked my wife for a pair of AXO Turbo RC boots for Christmas. She told me to close my eyes and she put a Golden Retriever puppy in my lap. Yep, I named her Axo. It was a great dog and I never would have gotten 15 years out of those boots.

|

1/12/2020 8:55 PM

gnarwhip wrote:

I’ve started several threads on this over the years. I’ll go over it again; Axo is an Italian company. It was originally called “Asso” which is Italian for “winner” or “victor”. When they started making gear for America, they thought having “Ass” all over their gear would be a bad look, so they put an X in instead of ss. Axo. It was never an acronym AXO. Anyone in the 90s in the know, knew this and called in Axo (Acks-oh). There were even stickers made that said ”Say Axe- oh”. All the pros called it Acks-oh, including Stanton, Bradshaw, and RC when he was on PC. Go watch the podium interviews on YouTube. Literally no one called it A.X.O. Anyone who refers to it as A.X.O. is a tool and needs to STFU.

Hummm....I’m a pro and I’ve earned AMA points as such, in the 250 class. I have also spelled it out “A-X.O” (wrongly or not. Apparently their pronunciation campaign was a failure), so that pretty much shoots down your theory spoken as angry gospel. Not a tool...you’re a tool...and no, I will not STFU. I wonder if you heard somebody say A-X-O in person...would you have the class to call them “a tool” and tell them to “shut the fuck up?”

|

1/12/2020 10:22 PM

OCK-so (like ROCK-so)

|

1/12/2020 10:32 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

I’ve always spelled it out, A-X-O...but I don’t know which is right or if there is a right. Btw, I had a pair of those first boots...plastic with velcro straps. I want to say ‘77 or ‘78.

|

Ed Johnson

1/13/2020 7:10 AM

Motoxdoc wrote:

I think they came out in 81.

I have a funny story about those boots. I ordered a pair right after they were released. My first race with them, I went to a track in Prairie Grove, AR. We went there because there was a rumor that David Bailey was going to be there. I think he had family in the area or something. He was still with Moto-X Fox at the time, riding a KX 250 with a works swingarm, with the cam type chain adjusters, if anybody remembers those.

Anyway, he hadn't seen a pair of the Axo boots yet, and was checking mine out. He messed around with the Velcro straps a few times, and talked about how cool he thought they were.

About a month later, the new Dirt Bike magazine came out with the test of the new KX 125, and lo and behold, Bailey was wearing the exact boots I had.

I think he called them A-X-O.

|

1/13/2020 7:14 AM

Since I haven’t seen AXO anywhere in the last 20 years I haven’t had to say it!

|

1/13/2020 7:30 AM

Motoxdoc wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

That’s it. Had a pair and as I remember I liked them a lot! Late 70s early 80s....whenever that was....

|

1/13/2020 4:42 PM

I had a rider on my dealership's race team who got a free gear deal from them. Whenever I spoke to the rep (who worked for the company,) she said "Axe-oh." Nobody is a tool for not knowing, but that's how it is pronounced.

It's just like how you are not a tool if you run your crossbar pad so you can read "Renthal" while sitting on the bike. You aren't a tool, but it's wrong.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/13/2020 5:05 PM

jeffmc134 wrote:

Maverick hasn't posted a pic yet? He's losing it.

|

1/13/2020 5:41 PM

The Asso Splitfire gear in the 90's was tits.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

1/13/2020 6:25 PM

gnarwhip wrote:

Typical Vital flog response.
I assume you have never mispronounced anything?

|

1/14/2020 3:21 PM

I just called their number in CA. It said, "The Verizon wireless caller you are trying to reach is not available. Please try your call again, later."

WOW!

https://www.axo.com/

|

1/14/2020 3:30 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

OCK-so (like ROCK-so)

OCK-so, as pronounced by this Italian guy:

?t=57

|

1/14/2020 3:34 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

Gworm wrote:

I have a funny story about those boots. I ordered a pair right after they were released. My first race with them, I went to a track in Prairie Grove, AR. We went there because there was a rumor that David Bailey was going to be there. I think he had family in the area or something. He was still with Moto-X Fox at the time, riding a KX 250 with a works swingarm, with the cam type chain adjusters, if anybody remembers those.

Anyway, he hadn't seen a pair of the Axo boots yet, and was checking mine out. He messed around with the Velcro straps a few times, and talked about how cool he thought they were.

About a month later, the new Dirt Bike magazine came out with the test of the new KX 125, and lo and behold, Bailey was wearing the exact boots I had.

Was wearing these in '79...

|

1/14/2020 3:52 PM

AKSO
Uhsserbiss
Garnay

bro

|

1/14/2020 4:13 PM

piiiiiiiiiiilaut

|

1/14/2020 5:15 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

I just called their number in CA. It said, "The Verizon wireless caller you are trying to reach is not available. Please try your call again, later."

WOW!

I had a support deal and about a year or so ago they packed it up and quit distributing in the US.

|

1/14/2020 6:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2020 6:48 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

WOW!

crusher773 wrote:

I had a support deal and about a year or so ago they packed it up and quit distributing in the US.

They (AXO) still own the building here in Santa Clarita. Gearne leases part of it for their US boots. Directly across the street from Leatt. Just stopped by there a couple weeks ago.
I believe that the family makes way more money with the cardboard box business than they ever did selling motocross gear !!

Oh and it’s definitely AXO, not A.X.O.

|

1/14/2020 8:43 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

Gworm wrote:

GODZILLA wrote:

I must be wrong then. May have been a design change in 81. Were those the Velcro straps on yours. Looks more like leather. I didn’t remember them before 81. There was a big ad campaign with Lackey if I remember correctly.

|

1/14/2020 8:52 PM

Gworm wrote:

GODZILLA wrote:

Gworm wrote:

I must be wrong then. May have been a design change in 81. Were those the Velcro straps on yours. Looks more like leather. I didn’t remember them before 81. There was a big ad campaign with Lackey if I remember correctly.

|

Ed Johnson