ATTENTION: Garage-less MXer's in the San Diego Area -The PERFECT storage and service facility coming soon!

2/11/2019 6:10pm
Man I could have used this a few years ago. It seems like it'd be a cool spot for dudes who love moto to hang out shoot the shit and work on bikes. Serve beer and id be there a few times a week. Haha. Good luck to ya, hope it all works out!
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
2/11/2019 6:35pm
I know more than a few people in my area that would use this. Just for the pick ready to ride aspect. I enjoyed shop time myself. When i had an apartment this would’ve been sweet . Hope it takes off for ya ?
usafwx
2/11/2019 6:50pm
This is a great idea, but gonna be the debbie downer as bike sales and moto are on the decline, wonder the long term return / ability to stay in business. Good luck.
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 9:28pm
Supermega1 wrote:
Start selling spaces as early as you can even before you have the place built. At least get a waiting list going so that once the...
Start selling spaces as early as you can even before you have the place built. At least get a waiting list going so that once the doors open you have instant revenue vs. having to go find clients.

I listen to a podcast with a guy who's building a collector car storage facility in LA. He's sold out already and his covered for at least the first few years and the place isn't even open yet. It's another thing to ad pre-launch but will probably be the most important thing you do. Also as your looking for customers, you'll start to find out what you need and don't need as well as what locations work.

Also, a "deep freeze" section might be good too. Basically, storage for bikes that don't get used that often so the access to them doesn't need to be immediate. Something where they call you 24 hours in advance and you pull it down from the rafters or wherever it is way out of the way. Obviously this you could charge a cheaper rate because you can stack bikes somewhere.

Great idea, hopefully, there is enough want/need for it to make it lucrative. I wish you luck!!!

I'm collecting a list of potential customers so that when doors do open, I have a pool to start drawing from. Being a small business, I will certainly need revenue quick. I want to get the initial loan as low as possible...after 3 months I want to be paying rent without loan funds. If I can pre sell, I certainly will. I guess it depends on the demand. If I have 100 spaces and 500 people in line to get a space, I'll have to presell....and figure out how to provide service for the other 400 Grinning

The Shop

Sierra Ranger
2/12/2019 9:47pm
Cool idea, and a no-brainer.
I used normal storage spaces for a makeshift moto garage and it worked okay. As long as you have good access, and they don't bother you- you can set up a little workshop. My only complaint with the storage units I used for a couple of years to work on my bike was the crappy music. Cheerful
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 9:47pm
moto0852 wrote:
Love San Diego. Daughter lives there and we visit alot. We thought about moving there and then reality hit. Where will the lifted F-250, 25 ft...
Love San Diego. Daughter lives there and we visit alot. We thought about moving there and then reality hit. Where will the lifted F-250, 25 ft. trailer and 32 ft. RV go? There is NO space there. Gotta go more inland.
Yes space is very limited and of course that is not a problem that improves...it gets worse. Sad
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 9:52pm
sumdood wrote:
Buddy has a sport bike shop and does something similar (but no access to his tools or shop) When you want to go for a ride...
Buddy has a sport bike shop and does something similar (but no access to his tools or shop) When you want to go for a ride you call ahead and he has the bike ready, tires at the right psi, battery charged, fluids checked,, chain adjusted, bike warmed up, just show up and ride and then drop it back off when you're done.
I plan to offer a service package like that. I'll call it the set it and forget it package! Maybe you remember the old Ronco rotisserie infomercial Laughing
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 9:57pm
Wow...this is a brilliant idea/concept!! I am one of these guys but I live in Orange County ....if you plan on expanding I'd be interested in...
Wow...this is a brilliant idea/concept!!

I am one of these guys but I live in Orange County ....if you plan on expanding I'd be interested in what kinds of costs are associated with something like this and if there were opportunities to buy in for investing in a stake or portion of a location
If everything works out, I'd like to expand and establish Orange County, LA, San Francisco, and San Jose locations. That's along way from here though. I haven't considered investors at this point but, I am not against it.
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 10:00pm
TXDirt wrote:
Bike washing station, access to parts washers, purchase bike fuel, etc. Washer/Dryer area for gear. Secure bike storage. Etc. Hope it takes off and is a...
Bike washing station, access to parts washers, purchase bike fuel, etc. Washer/Dryer area for gear. Secure bike storage. Etc.

Hope it takes off and is a huge success. Love the concept.
Much appreciated! Definitely working on incorporating all the ammenities needed to keep bikes and gear clean, safe, and well maintained.
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 10:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 10:03pm
Man I could have used this a few years ago. It seems like it'd be a cool spot for dudes who love moto to hang out...
Man I could have used this a few years ago. It seems like it'd be a cool spot for dudes who love moto to hang out shoot the shit and work on bikes. Serve beer and id be there a few times a week. Haha. Good luck to ya, hope it all works out!
Don't be surprised if I sneak a kegerator of some Ballast Point in and hide it in the office. Evil
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 10:18pm
usafwx wrote:
This is a great idea, but gonna be the debbie downer as bike sales and moto are on the decline, wonder the long term return /...
This is a great idea, but gonna be the debbie downer as bike sales and moto are on the decline, wonder the long term return / ability to stay in business. Good luck.
That's definitely a concern of mine. MX has gotten so expensive with the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke 15 years ago, plus rising healthcare costs, restricted land use, insurance and liabilities, etc. It's a bit of a gamble but, any business is. I'm hoping the sheer numbers game works in my favor. San Diego is big and there's a lot of money here. Even in down times, the San Diego coastal region stays fairly stable. There's a Naval Base, MCAS Miramar and MCRD San Diego here in the area as well which translates into young adults with a couple bucks to spare living in the barracks and needing a place to store thier dirtbikes. I would have loved to have a place like this when I was in the service. I spent 4 years in the barracks with none of my toys so I would ship parts back and forth from home and work on things little by little in the barracks. I should be able to pull a small but steady customer source from the military crowd. I think the manufacturers are going to figure out direct injection and how to significantly reduce hydrocarbon emissions in 2 strokes within the next 5-10 years as well. This will help stabilize the costs of an MX bike and revive the sport. Pretty soon we will all be cruising around on 450cc 2 strokes that are direct injected pumping out 75hp Smile
MotoStorSD
2/12/2019 10:22pm
Cool idea, and a no-brainer. I used normal storage spaces for a makeshift moto garage and it worked okay. As long as you have good access...
Cool idea, and a no-brainer.
I used normal storage spaces for a makeshift moto garage and it worked okay. As long as you have good access, and they don't bother you- you can set up a little workshop. My only complaint with the storage units I used for a couple of years to work on my bike was the crappy music. Cheerful
Thanks! The storages wouldn't be so bad if you could get a unit with power and light for less than $500. I have a good storage right that let's me work on my bike but, there's been quite a bit of tweaker activity lately and it closes at 7pm. I'm over it.
usafwx
2/12/2019 10:24pm
MotoStorSD wrote:
That's definitely a concern of mine. MX has gotten so expensive with the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke 15 years ago, plus rising healthcare...
That's definitely a concern of mine. MX has gotten so expensive with the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke 15 years ago, plus rising healthcare costs, restricted land use, insurance and liabilities, etc. It's a bit of a gamble but, any business is. I'm hoping the sheer numbers game works in my favor. San Diego is big and there's a lot of money here. Even in down times, the San Diego coastal region stays fairly stable. There's a Naval Base, MCAS Miramar and MCRD San Diego here in the area as well which translates into young adults with a couple bucks to spare living in the barracks and needing a place to store thier dirtbikes. I would have loved to have a place like this when I was in the service. I spent 4 years in the barracks with none of my toys so I would ship parts back and forth from home and work on things little by little in the barracks. I should be able to pull a small but steady customer source from the military crowd. I think the manufacturers are going to figure out direct injection and how to significantly reduce hydrocarbon emissions in 2 strokes within the next 5-10 years as well. This will help stabilize the costs of an MX bike and revive the sport. Pretty soon we will all be cruising around on 450cc 2 strokes that are direct injected pumping out 75hp Smile
I think you've addressed some of the concerns you have and I would have investing in this market segment / sport. I doubt though it'll get any cheaper over time especially if the numbers continue to dwindle for people actually buying motocross bikes. As Harley Davidson and other motorcycle manufacturers have found out, its not so much the cost factor but a generational thing, millenials (I am one too) just aren't interested in riding, maybe that will change but as you mentioned tracks close, bikes become more expensive, inflation rises, the middle class continues to shrink, I don't see the sport getting any healthier. As an active duty guy, I had to leave my bikes with my supervisor in his garage so I definately can see you drawing a small group there, but there's not many of us who ride MX as opposed to street. Good luck, I still think its a great idea. I think this and places you can work on your own car / truck with tools / lift bays sort of like the auto hobby shop are some great ideas / ventures that can fill a void. Cheers.
SammyD
2/13/2019 7:44am
Wondering what the math is on this.

Say you find 10 guys/ gals that are interested early on. So at $60/ month each that's $600/ month. Now take out the cost of renting the space - probably close to $600/ month for the set up you are envisioning. Now maybe add an insurance policy so that one person with the keys doesn't load up all the other bikes. If you are the only one with the keys then figure out how many hours/ month you're going to be shuttling yourself back and forth to the facility during the week and weekend as riders want to go to Pala/ Perris under the lights in the evening.

Maybe a stretch goal is $100/ month - still cheaper than getting a solo storage spot, perhaps - and you get 20 guys. That's just $2,000/ month, before taxes, storage rental, insurance, personal time. Help me understand here.

MotoStorSD
2/13/2019 8:42am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 8:46am
SammyD wrote:
Wondering what the math is on this. Say you find 10 guys/ gals that are interested early on. So at $60/ month each that's $600/ month...
Wondering what the math is on this.

Say you find 10 guys/ gals that are interested early on. So at $60/ month each that's $600/ month. Now take out the cost of renting the space - probably close to $600/ month for the set up you are envisioning. Now maybe add an insurance policy so that one person with the keys doesn't load up all the other bikes. If you are the only one with the keys then figure out how many hours/ month you're going to be shuttling yourself back and forth to the facility during the week and weekend as riders want to go to Pala/ Perris under the lights in the evening.

Maybe a stretch goal is $100/ month - still cheaper than getting a solo storage spot, perhaps - and you get 20 guys. That's just $2,000/ month, before taxes, storage rental, insurance, personal time. Help me understand here.

Duplicate post
MotoStorSD
2/13/2019 8:43am
I'm probably going to have closer to 100 plus spots which will eat up about 1300 square feet when stacked 3 high. Remember I will be utilizing a pallet rack system. At $60 a spot, that's $6000 a month which covers rent on a 5000 square foot facility. This will not operate like a co-op business. Co-op's do not fair well. I will have the keys and I will likely hire at least 2 part timers to help out. I will also be doing service and I will offer machine services as well. That's going to generate a significant amount of revenue.
The part timers can wash bikes and filters and lube chains.
The numbers are there but, profit depends on the number of spots occupied. At $60 a spot, I shouldn't have trouble getting them filled. $100 a spot is way high for one bike unless maybe that comes with a monthly wash and service. I will have to carry insurance of course but, like all storage facilities, customers will have to as well. I think I'm paying $4 a month for full coverage on my 2017 Husky TC250 right now so it's not a significant cost.
GHOPPER
2/13/2019 8:52am
That's a really good idea. Hope it works out for you.
SammyD
2/13/2019 9:04am
MotoStorSD wrote:
I'm probably going to have closer to 100 plus spots which will eat up about 1300 square feet when stacked 3 high. Remember I will be...
I'm probably going to have closer to 100 plus spots which will eat up about 1300 square feet when stacked 3 high. Remember I will be utilizing a pallet rack system. At $60 a spot, that's $6000 a month which covers rent on a 5000 square foot facility. This will not operate like a co-op business. Co-op's do not fair well. I will have the keys and I will likely hire at least 2 part timers to help out. I will also be doing service and I will offer machine services as well. That's going to generate a significant amount of revenue.
The numbers are there but, profit depends on the number of spots occupied. At $60 a spot, I shouldn't have trouble getting them filled. $100 a spot is way high for one bike unless maybe that comes with a monthly wash and service. I will have to carry insurance of course but, like all storage facilities, customers will have to as well. I think I'm paying $4 a month for full coverage on my 2017 Husky TC250 right now so it's not a significant cost.
Right on, I wish you luck. I think your hardest challenge will be to find 100 riders in need of this service within a 30 minute or so drive.

I'm reminded of the slogan NCY had on the side of their building, "Your wife called - she said it's ok!" Your facility could be a great place to 'season in' surreptitiously bought bikes - "Your wife called - she'll never know!"
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/13/2019 9:05am
It is a great idea. Also sidexsides, jet ski's, MTB's, streetbikes etc. Man I know bad ass mxers that couldn't take their wheel off. I could rebuild a bike at 12. California seems like a great place for it with all the bikes around and HOA rules.
2/13/2019 9:56am
Great idea! Wish we had this when I was living in NYC.

Good luck!

Cheers
Simon
2/13/2019 2:00pm
As much as everyone thinks it's a great idea, you have a huge challenge ahead of you to make this happen in CA. You will need twice as much capital as you think you need, and you will be inundated with paperwork and red tape. I hope you can pull it off and open one in Orange County. I'm so busy I can't even find time to wash my bike from my last ride...I would happily drop it off and pay you to wash it, clean filter, lube chain, etc. Then I would pick it up and head straight to the desert for another ride...rinse and repeat.
MotoStorSD
2/14/2019 11:16am
As much as everyone thinks it's a great idea, you have a huge challenge ahead of you to make this happen in CA. You will need...
As much as everyone thinks it's a great idea, you have a huge challenge ahead of you to make this happen in CA. You will need twice as much capital as you think you need, and you will be inundated with paperwork and red tape. I hope you can pull it off and open one in Orange County. I'm so busy I can't even find time to wash my bike from my last ride...I would happily drop it off and pay you to wash it, clean filter, lube chain, etc. Then I would pick it up and head straight to the desert for another ride...rinse and repeat.
I am definitely going to need a small business loan but, I have outstanding credit and my income is in the upper echelons of the middle class. I've got some chips stacked away. I may even keep my day job for a bit while I get things going. I do have the luxury of working from home and I could just half ass things to collect a paycheck until they fire me Grinning Concerning red tape and regulations...I am a fairly seasoned project manager in the heavy construction industry. This is peanuts compared to some of the landmark projects I have worked on. You should see the hoops that you have to jump through to build a hospital in California on top of two fault lines. I've been a part of that massive effort. OSHPD is one tough cookie, let me tell you what. Paperwork and red tape are my life and part of the reason I want to get out of heavy construction and chase my dreams. Get back to using my hands and moving around. I am not into the office life, even if I am sitting here with my dogs in my basketball shorts.
2/14/2019 11:41am
As much as everyone thinks it's a great idea, you have a huge challenge ahead of you to make this happen in CA. You will need...
MotoStorSD wrote:
I am definitely going to need a small business loan but, I have outstanding credit and my income is in the upper echelons of the middle...
I am definitely going to need a small business loan but, I have outstanding credit and my income is in the upper echelons of the middle class. I've got some chips stacked away. I may even keep my day job for a bit while I get things going. I do have the luxury of working from home and I could just half ass things to collect a paycheck until they fire me Grinning Concerning red tape and regulations...I am a fairly seasoned project manager in the heavy construction industry. This is peanuts compared to some of the landmark projects I have worked on. You should see the hoops that you have to jump through to build a hospital in California on top of two fault lines. I've been a part of that massive effort. OSHPD is one tough cookie, let me tell you what. Paperwork and red tape are my life and part of the reason I want to get out of heavy construction and chase my dreams. Get back to using my hands and moving around. I am not into the office life, even if I am sitting here with my dogs in my basketball shorts.
Well with that said, if anyone can pull it off, you are the one who will make it happen. I'm very familiar with OSHPD so yes, you are correct, opening a moto storage shop should be less paperwork and red tape than you are used to. But definitely keep your day job until you have a nice revenue stream coming in...perform your day job from the desk at your new shop.
Ake89
2/15/2019 7:44pm
Marty and Mike Tripes tried this 15 years ago. Called it the Moto Locker. Great idea, Hope you have better luck.
MotoStorSD
2/16/2019 2:52am
Ake89 wrote:
Marty and Mike Tripes tried this 15 years ago. Called it the Moto Locker. Great idea, Hope you have better luck.
Hmm....I'm going to have to contact them and ask them what they felt what the downfall was.
tcallahan707
2/16/2019 3:30am
There’s also a guy who can help with boot washing service. Works for cheap. Like real cheap.
So it has come to not washing our own boots. ? pretty soon everyone will need a chain adjustment guy at the track Too.
motogrady wrote:
Hey, in my business there are people that pay almost 90 bucks for a guy to come out and change the filter in their furnace. 5...
Hey, in my business there are people that pay almost 90 bucks for a guy to come out and change the filter in their furnace. 5 dollar part, 20 minutes.

I bet there is a segment of society that would love, and pay, to be able to just drop off a muddy bike on Monday, and pick it back up, cleaned, serviced and ready to race, on Saturday.

There definitely is. A few of those guys have been on BTO/RMATV KTM.
Natester551v
2/16/2019 6:05am
MotoStorSD wrote:
I am definitely going to need a small business loan but, I have outstanding credit and my income is in the upper echelons of the middle...
Well with that said, if anyone can pull it off, you are the one who will make it happen. I'm very familiar with OSHPD so yes...
Well with that said, if anyone can pull it off, you are the one who will make it happen. I'm very familiar with OSHPD so yes, you are correct, opening a moto storage shop should be less paperwork and red tape than you are used to. But definitely keep your day job until you have a nice revenue stream coming in...perform your day job from the desk at your new shop.
Good advice!
brocster
2/16/2019 9:13am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 8:00pm
MotoStorSD wrote:
I'm probably going to have closer to 100 plus spots which will eat up about 1300 square feet when stacked 3 high. Remember I will be...
Would love to see the math on paper. I don’t see where you can generate enough money to quit your upper middle class income job. While I think this is a fantastic idea and it peaked my curiosity I don’t see where it will much more than break even given the cost of rental space in an area that is accesible, “safe”, large enough to house 100 bikes and have work areas large enough to work on say 5 at a time pluse a cleaning area, parts washers etc. etc.

I am lucky enough to have a 2 car garage with 3 bikes and a small work bench and its tight. I only have half for the bikes as my wifes car is on the other side. However, I am organized and a minimalist and its still tight to work on two bikes at a time without tripping over one another in roughly ~180 to 200 sf.

Good luck man! Great idea! I would love to have a facility/job as you speak of but the math just doesn’t work for me.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
2/16/2019 11:17am
I am damn impressed by this idea. It won't work everywhere but I think in the right location of California you could make a run at it. Make sure you go broad include street bikes and other vehicles dirt bikes only would kill it quick. Make sure you have good insurance or make sure your customers sign up for insurance. I would secure the building then store the bikes in a secure room inside the building and maybe secure them to the floor. You are creating a huge target.
Another way you could extend your services is to buy a trailer and have customers sign up for a ride day and carry a lot of bikes at once and provide track side service. All they have to do is bring themselves. If that goes well buy more trailers and send trailers and workers to multiple tracks on any weekend.

Good luck man I think you have a real good chance at this.

Post a reply to: ATTENTION: Garage-less MXer's in the San Diego Area -The PERFECT storage and service facility coming soon!

The Latest