ATTENTION: Garage-less MXer's in the San Diego Area -The PERFECT storage and service facility coming soon!

MotoStorSD
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 8:00pm
Hello Vital MXer's! My name is Gary and I live in the San Diego Coastal Region. Unfortunately, many of the affordable homes in the area are void of a garage. If you are a motohead like myself living in a garage free home, you may be forced to obtain a storage unit and a storage unit large enough for a dirt bike isn't cheap in this area! I am paying $150 just for my one bike and associated gear! 99% of storage facilities do not allow you to perform any maintainance on your equipment either, which means you are stuck to shade tree service or you rely on a professional mechanic. Out of neccessity and love for powersports, I have decided to open up Moto-Stor, which is a business thats core function is to provide affordable storage and race team quality service for dirt bikes, ATV's, and PWC's. As a kicker, the facility will offer free work spaces for tenants and shop services at a discounted rate. I will also be performing regular repairs, modifications, and restorations on site for those who need it. Additionally, Moto-Stor will offer:

- Specially designed pallet rack type storage - same system that the manufacturers use.

- Projected price points at $60 for first dirt bike and $40 for each there after.

- Secure facility that is fully alarmed, with 24/7 camera surveilance, and motion detection sensors.

- Work spaces for tenants will tools available for rent and access to specialized and manufacturer specific tools.

- Vapor and Media Blasting Services

- Machine Services - Milling, boring, welding, and one-off fabrication

- Crankshaft services

- Tire removal and installation

- Wheel lacing services

- Suspension services

- Engine services

- Vintage restoration services

- Parts and accessories sales

- Consignment sales

- Coaching and consulting for Do-It-Yourself mechanics

- Surgical facility cleanliness and organization

- High quality equipment and gear

- Practical hours of business for folks who work 9-5. Open late during the week and early on the weekend so you can get out and ride!

If Moto-Stor sounds like something you would like to check out, please feel free to shoot me an email at motostorsandiego@gmail.com and join the mailing list for news and updates. I am planning to open doors in the Fall of 2019. Social media links coming soon!
|
FWYT
2/10/2019 11:41pm
What part of town will this be in?
mxracer666
2/10/2019 11:52pm
This sounds awesome! Keep us all updated on the progress!
motograss
2/11/2019 12:05am
FWYT wrote:
I wondered the same thing. I don't have a storage problem, but would be interested in having access to media/vapor blasting and tire changes on the regular.
Wildeye511
2/11/2019 12:06am
Would you also be doing short term storage? I have been wanting to ride Fox raceway, but its quite a hike there and back from Vegas. Having a safe place to store the bike overnight would be perfect.

The Shop

2/11/2019 12:18am
Great idea, I hope you pull it off. I have some friends in SD who would love a place like this where they could drop off their muddy bike after a ride and then pick it up a couple weeks later all clean and ready to ride....basically, the same model that some of the boat storage companies offer in Havasu.
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
2/11/2019 12:45am
Great idea, I hope you pull it off. I have some friends in SD who would love a place like this where they could drop off...
Great idea, I hope you pull it off. I have some friends in SD who would love a place like this where they could drop off their muddy bike after a ride and then pick it up a couple weeks later all clean and ready to ride....basically, the same model that some of the boat storage companies offer in Havasu.
There’s also a guy who can help with boot washing service. Works for cheap. Like real cheap.
motograss
2/11/2019 1:22am
Must be code for the local pedophiles on here.
2/11/2019 3:06am
Great idea, I hope you pull it off. I have some friends in SD who would love a place like this where they could drop off...
There’s also a guy who can help with boot washing service. Works for cheap. Like real cheap.
So it has come to not washing our own boots. ? pretty soon everyone will need a chain adjustment guy at the track Too.
motogrady
2/11/2019 4:41am
So it has come to not washing our own boots. ? pretty soon everyone will need a chain adjustment guy at the track Too.
Hey, in my business there are people that pay almost 90 bucks for a guy to come out and change the filter in their furnace. 5 dollar part, 20 minutes.

I bet there is a segment of society that would love, and pay, to be able to just drop off a muddy bike on Monday, and pick it back up, cleaned, serviced and ready to race, on Saturday.

crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
2/11/2019 6:34am
That's a cool idea. I now have a big garage but I would have loved to use a service like that the 15 years when I didn't have a garage (aka bike in the living room)
MotoStorSD
2/11/2019 6:38am
FWYT wrote:
I am still hunting for an ideal location and it will also depend on what's available when I am ready to lease a space. I assume that the meat of my customers will be coming from the La Jolla area down to downtown and as far East as Mission Valley. I think the Bay Ho, Linda Vista, Clairmont, and Moreno areas are going to offer the right lease rates and most centralized location if that holds true. That could change though based on location statistics from the mailing list. What part of town are you in?
MotoStorSD
2/11/2019 6:41am
Wildeye511 wrote:
Would you also be doing short term storage? I have been wanting to ride Fox raceway, but its quite a hike there and back from Vegas...
Would you also be doing short term storage? I have been wanting to ride Fox raceway, but its quite a hike there and back from Vegas. Having a safe place to store the bike overnight would be perfect.
Certainly! It's not always easy to find a decent hotel that you can roll your bike(s) into for safe keeping.
MotoStorSD
2/11/2019 6:43am
Thank you! I will most definitely be offering services like that.
MotoStorSD
2/11/2019 6:56am
Lime removal service?
When it comes to lime, I don't guarantee success but, I'd give it a shot! I don't think those stains are removable though...the privateers that were effected at the San Diego SX are probably going to have to resort to powder coating frames and other lime damaged parts to get through the season.
kb228
2/11/2019 7:07am
The factory teams used vapor blasting and polishing to get the lime off. Anodized stuff is ruined and needs stripped and recoated. Wont be the same as before but will be pretty close. The lime didnt structurally damage anything.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
2/11/2019 7:24am
bogle just learned how to do it this year. He didn't know how too.
ob
2/11/2019 7:32am
Sounds like a great idea for the ocatillo glamis crowds
2/11/2019 8:19am
Sounds cool. There’s a place in KC kinda like this called Union Moto for the cafe and Harley crowd but open to moto as well. I’d love to see pics.
Moto520
2/11/2019 8:23am
very good idea! There will also be a segment of people that live in the Midwest or East coast and would store their bikes in California. We would fly in and ride on some weekends......
MotoStorSD
2/11/2019 8:40am
Sounds cool. There’s a place in KC kinda like this called Union Moto for the cafe and Harley crowd but open to moto as well. I’d...
Sounds cool. There’s a place in KC kinda like this called Union Moto for the cafe and Harley crowd but open to moto as well. I’d love to see pics.
We have a couple of places in San Diego that serve the cafe and Harley crowd. I hawked the concept from them and I have a friend who owns a successful shop in Nor-Cal that I borrowed some ideas from. I also surveyed the owners about their successes and struggles. One of the big problems they run into in a Co-Op style business like that is revenue...they struggle to keep the doors open. Most of them have to work a regular day job. I have found a local need that fills that revenue hole. Fingers crossed anyway!
MotoStorSD
2/11/2019 8:42am
Moto520 wrote:
very good idea! There will also be a segment of people that live in the Midwest or East coast and would store their bikes in California...
very good idea! There will also be a segment of people that live in the Midwest or East coast and would store their bikes in California. We would fly in and ride on some weekends......
Thank you! I would certainly love to have that business!
Supermega1
2/11/2019 10:25am
Start selling spaces as early as you can even before you have the place built. At least get a waiting list going so that once the doors open you have instant revenue vs. having to go find clients.

I listen to a podcast with a guy who's building a collector car storage facility in LA. He's sold out already and his covered for at least the first few years and the place isn't even open yet. It's another thing to ad pre-launch but will probably be the most important thing you do. Also as your looking for customers, you'll start to find out what you need and don't need as well as what locations work.

Also, a "deep freeze" section might be good too. Basically, storage for bikes that don't get used that often so the access to them doesn't need to be immediate. Something where they call you 24 hours in advance and you pull it down from the rafters or wherever it is way out of the way. Obviously this you could charge a cheaper rate because you can stack bikes somewhere.

Great idea, hopefully, there is enough want/need for it to make it lucrative. I wish you luck!!!

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
2/11/2019 10:50am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 10:53am
Buddy has a sport bike shop and does something similar (but no access to his tools or shop) When you want to go for a ride you call ahead and he has the bike ready, tires at the right psi, battery charged, fluids checked,, chain adjusted, bike warmed up, just show up and ride and then drop it back off when you're done.
moto0852
2/11/2019 11:13am
Love San Diego. Daughter lives there and we visit alot. We thought about moving there and then reality hit. Where will the lifted F-250, 25 ft. trailer and 32 ft. RV go? There is NO space there. Gotta go more inland.
Lightning78
2/11/2019 11:16am
Wow...this is a brilliant idea/concept!!

I am one of these guys but I live in Orange County ....if you plan on expanding I'd be interested in what kinds of costs are associated with something like this and if there were opportunities to buy in for investing in a stake or portion of a location
Jrewing
2/11/2019 4:24pm
Wow. A sign of times that that a business model like this exists, as population explodes everywhere, and everyone is so time poor, or just lacking the wealth needed these days globally to live in the established areas.
No jab intended on the business at all.. just the reality of life nowadays
TXDirt
2/11/2019 4:46pm
Bike washing station, access to parts washers, purchase bike fuel, etc. Washer/Dryer area for gear. Secure bike storage. Etc.

Hope it takes off and is a huge success. Love the concept.

Post a reply to: ATTENTION: Garage-less MXer's in the San Diego Area -The PERFECT storage and service facility coming soon!

The Latest