Kiwi
Ruskie
Czech
Pole
Thai
Dane
Fin
...Vitard

What ones are offensive? Anyone want to work it out for me because I don't know. Thought they were just shortened
MOTO1313
3/2/2020 2:17pm
Jap is a thing now? Here's a clue, Jap is not slang or derogatory in meaning. It is simply short for JAPANESE. Sort of like calling someone a Pole...short for Polock. So, build a fucking bridge and get over it. People looking for problems will find one every time.
3/2/2020 2:23pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
Jap is a thing now? Here's a clue, Jap is not slang or derogatory in meaning. It is simply short for JAPANESE. Sort of like calling...
Jap is a thing now? Here's a clue, Jap is not slang or derogatory in meaning. It is simply short for JAPANESE. Sort of like calling someone a Pole...short for Polock. So, build a fucking bridge and get over it. People looking for problems will find one every time.
No...it's not a thing "now"....it has been for decades.
aeffertz
3/2/2020 6:12pm
I'm a white dude, so I understand I might be looking at this differently, but I feel like you have to look at the intent and if it's malicious or if he's just unaware it's a derogatory term. He honestly probably didn't realize his abbreviation/slang had a negative connotation. I don't think he needs to be fired or not allowed in any press conferences ever again. How about using this as a way to teach him why not to use that term rather than "cancel" him?

The Shop

msp332
3/2/2020 8:56pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
Jap is a thing now? Here's a clue, Jap is not slang or derogatory in meaning. It is simply short for JAPANESE. Sort of like calling...
"not slang or derogatory in meaning."

Let's review the Webster dictionary definition yet again, but this time in all caps:

JAP [NOUN OR ADJECTIVE]
DISPARAGING + OFFENSIVE
: JAPANESE

Next supercross press conference should mention how the Merriam-Webster dictionary is wrong.
HusqFan3
3/2/2020 9:10pm
msp332 wrote:
Can someone please tell the press not to use the term "Jap"? Said 7:18 into the ATL post-race press conference video. We don't need our sport...
Can someone please tell the press not to use the term "Jap"?
Said 7:18 into the ATL post-race press conference video.
We don't need our sport set back 70 years.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jap
Jap [noun or adjective]
disparaging + offensive
: JAPANESE
Was that the same weirdo with the rambling “leap year champion” attempt at humor that was so lame the riders didn’t even know how to respond?

If so, who was that guy and who’s press credentials did he steal?

I can’t remember exactly what he said at the end of to the 250 riders but do recall it being another awkward/head scratcher...
CASH476
3/2/2020 9:23pm
just James wrote:
But it is fine to say 'Murica, and imply that Americans are inbred hillbillies. If it weren't for double standards, many people would have no standards...
But it is fine to say 'Murica, and imply that Americans are inbred hillbillies.
If it weren't for double standards, many people would have no standards at all.
Ray_MXS wrote:
In my experience, "Murica" is used almost exclusively by Americans themselves.
Nope, Aussies use it all the time to take the piss out of Americans. All in good fun though!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/2/2020 9:28pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
Yeah, no...no.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/2/2020 9:42pm
dalshire21 wrote:
Careful Bobby!... The mods have an itchy trigger finger, my initial reaction was to laugh but then remembered we are all split seconds away from being...
Careful Bobby!... The mods have an itchy trigger finger, my initial reaction was to laugh but then remembered we are all split seconds away from being banned indefinitely without notice or reason. Just looking out for a fellow citizen.
Your schtick is getting tiresome.
dalshire21
3/3/2020 12:09pm
dalshire21 wrote:
Careful Bobby!... The mods have an itchy trigger finger, my initial reaction was to laugh but then remembered we are all split seconds away from being...
Careful Bobby!... The mods have an itchy trigger finger, my initial reaction was to laugh but then remembered we are all split seconds away from being banned indefinitely without notice or reason. Just looking out for a fellow citizen.
GuyB wrote:
Your schtick is getting tiresome.
Understood, I'll consider this my warning.
YZ-MTB
3/3/2020 11:21pm
Not sure what your point is with that link, other than to justify the use of if a derogatory term.

I've read a fair bit about the atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers during WW2. Some gnarly shit that is pretty much unforgivable and makes your stomach turn just reading about it.

However, I'm a firm believer in taking responsibility for our own actions, and not being held accountable for the actions previous generations committed long before I was born.

My grandpa served in the US Navy in the Pacific for the entirety of WW2. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor, who lost his best friend on the USS Arizona, and he was serving on the USS Wisconsin at the time of the Japanese surrender. He had no love of the Japanese, so I heard the term Jap when I was growing up, and I knew from a young age that it wasn't a term of endearment.

I understand his feelings towards the Japanese, but I have done some work in Japan, and found the Japanese people I met to be very friendly, honest and likeable people. Those people are no more responsible for what the Japanese soldiers in WW2 did than I am for the US firebombing Tokyo or dropping nukes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

My grandma's brother was killed by a German sniper in WW2. I dont dislike Ken Roczen because of that.

So, if you want to post up links to hold grudges against people for the horrible things the people of their country did generations ago, we're going to be here a while since the list of nations that have done horrible things to one group or another is pretty freaking long.
3/3/2020 11:36pm
hogkiller wrote:
YZ-MTB wrote:
Not sure what your point is with that link, other than to justify the use of if a derogatory term. I've read a fair bit about...
Not sure what your point is with that link, other than to justify the use of if a derogatory term.

I've read a fair bit about the atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers during WW2. Some gnarly shit that is pretty much unforgivable and makes your stomach turn just reading about it.

However, I'm a firm believer in taking responsibility for our own actions, and not being held accountable for the actions previous generations committed long before I was born.

My grandpa served in the US Navy in the Pacific for the entirety of WW2. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor, who lost his best friend on the USS Arizona, and he was serving on the USS Wisconsin at the time of the Japanese surrender. He had no love of the Japanese, so I heard the term Jap when I was growing up, and I knew from a young age that it wasn't a term of endearment.

I understand his feelings towards the Japanese, but I have done some work in Japan, and found the Japanese people I met to be very friendly, honest and likeable people. Those people are no more responsible for what the Japanese soldiers in WW2 did than I am for the US firebombing Tokyo or dropping nukes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

My grandma's brother was killed by a German sniper in WW2. I dont dislike Ken Roczen because of that.

So, if you want to post up links to hold grudges against people for the horrible things the people of their country did generations ago, we're going to be here a while since the list of nations that have done horrible things to one group or another is pretty freaking long.
Well said. Blaming the Japanese or Germans for crap they did 80 years ago is like blaming today's Americans for slavery.

To your last paragraph.... this includes our own country (US). I love my country and those who serve....However, it's ludicrous to think this country and some of our service folk have been pure as the driven snow.
3/3/2020 11:40pm
Is this for real? Can we still say Jeff Ward was originally a Scot?? And how come you guys can get away with calling me a...
Is this for real?
Can we still say Jeff Ward was originally a Scot??

And how come you guys can get away with calling me a Brit??
Do some research....If you don't understand the difference, we can't help you.

YZ-MTB
3/4/2020 12:44am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 12:45am
Is this for real? Can we still say Jeff Ward was originally a Scot?? And how come you guys can get away with calling me a...
Is this for real?

Well, calling you a Brit is a bit easier than typing out that your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Tongue
3/4/2020 12:51am
Is this for real?

I understand that in WWII 'Jap' was used to describe Japanese prisoners.

But surely 'Jap' was used merely as an abbreviation of the word Japanese? Not to describe a prisoner.
For instance, if there was a German being held in the same Prison as the 'Japs', would he too be referred to as a Jap?
No... because he's not from Japan.

Its just silly. The prisoners were called Japs because they were from Japan. Nothing more, nothing less.
You can't make a big deal out of calling something or someone exactly what they are.
3/4/2020 12:58am
Is this for real?

YZ-MTB wrote:
Well, calling you a Brit is a bit easier than typing out that your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Tongue
LaughingTongue
3/4/2020 1:11am
Is this for real?

I understand that in WWII 'Jap' was used to describe Japanese prisoners. But surely 'Jap' was used merely as an abbreviation of the word Japanese? Not...
I understand that in WWII 'Jap' was used to describe Japanese prisoners.

But surely 'Jap' was used merely as an abbreviation of the word Japanese? Not to describe a prisoner.
For instance, if there was a German being held in the same Prison as the 'Japs', would he too be referred to as a Jap?
No... because he's not from Japan.

Its just silly. The prisoners were called Japs because they were from Japan. Nothing more, nothing less.
You can't make a big deal out of calling something or someone exactly what they are.
After thinking about this, I have a question...

IF during WWII the prison guards DIDN'T us the term 'Jap', but they always said 'Japanese'

Would the word "Japanese" now be considered offensive?

Honest question.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
3/4/2020 7:28am
Is this for real?

Are mx guys mostly retarded?
3/4/2020 8:51am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 8:51am
Is this for real?

jjavaman wrote:
Are mx guys mostly retarded?
If you’re NOT retatrded, you’ll be able to answer my question..

After thinking about this, I have a question...

IF during WWII the prison guards DIDN'T us the term 'Jap', but they always said 'Japanese'

Would the word "Japanese" now be considered offensive?

Honest question.
3/4/2020 8:57am
YZ-MTB wrote:

I fart in your general direction!!!! Smile

Post a reply to: ATL Post-Race Press Conference

The Latest