ARB/EPA has targets set on off road bikes again

Related:
Create New Tag

4/16/2019 11:52 AM

Notice of Meeting: California Air Resources Board

The American Motorcyclist Association believes you may be interested in attending a meeting of the California Air Resources Board. The workshop agenda includes significant amendments to the red sticker program for off-highway recreational vehicles.

The proposed regulatory actions under consideration include:

• End the red sticker certification program for OHRV beginning in model year 2022

• Lift the seasonal riding restrictions on existing red sticker OHRV starting on January 1, 2025

• Harmonize with U.S. EPA evaporative standards for off-highway motorcycles of model years 2020 through 2026

• Harmonize with U.S. EPA exhaust standards for off-highway motorcycles from 2022 through 2027

• Establish cost-effective alternative requirements for controlling evaporative emissions from OHRV starting in 2020

• Set more stringent exhaust emission control standards for ATV, off-road sport vehicles, and off-road utility vehicles from 2022

• Amend the current emissions fleet averaging and zero emission vehicle credit provisions to provide manufacturers with flexible compliance pathways and accelerate development of zero emission OHRV

• Adopt more stringent California-specific emissions standards for new OHRV starting with the 2027/28 model year to reduce emissions and help achieve California's air quality goals.

Date/Location: 9 a.m. Thursday April 25, at the California Environmental Protection Agency, California Air Resources Board Byron Sher Auditorium, 1001 I St., Sacramento, Calif. Additional information is available at

ww2.arb.ca.gov/rulemaking/2019/redstickeramendments

|

4/16/2019 11:56 AM

California is at it again!

|

4/16/2019 11:59 AM

kb228 wrote:

California is at it again!

It’s the moto capital of the USA....That hates motorcycle.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

4/16/2019 12:01 PM

Wonder what they mean by ending red sticker permits and red sticker seasonal restrictions? Something tells me that they aren’t about to allow a bunch of previously restricted bikes on public lands year round. If they are just discontinuing the program and only allowing 50 state emission compliant bikes on public land that would really suck for riders.

|

4/16/2019 12:03 PM

It's a shame Atla wen't under.

|

4/16/2019 12:11 PM

I wish the Jap manufacturers would close up shop and relocate our of California...that state hates OHV's.

|

4/16/2019 12:17 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

It's a shame Atla wen't under.

Couldn't afford to stay afloat when you have to deal with so much state regulation. Kind of ironic huh

|

4/16/2019 12:19 PM

Titan1 wrote:

I wish the Jap manufacturers would close up shop and relocate our of California...that state hates OHV's.

What is even going on in the facilities in Cali? Isn't all the manufacturing located in the midwest? Aren't the Cali locations just the corporate offices?

|

4/16/2019 1:12 PM

JBecker 72 wrote:

Wonder what they mean by ending red sticker permits and red sticker seasonal restrictions? Something tells me that they aren’t about to allow a bunch of previously restricted bikes on public lands year round. If they are just discontinuing the program and only allowing 50 state emission compliant bikes on public land that would really suck for riders.

It's dick waving. They want all, we want it all and there will be a compromise.

Remember, what starts here in California, migrates east. How's those catalytic converters doing on your cars and tractors. And how's that illegal alien labor?

OK that was off sides. But?

|

4/16/2019 1:17 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

It's a shame Atla wen't under.

It is. Looking at it as an optimistic consumer though, Alta tested the market and proved that electric off road bikes are a viable market. So as were starting to see with Honda, electric bikes are still the future and I think we will be seeing a lot more of them.

|

4/16/2019 1:20 PM

kb228 wrote:

California is at it again!

BobPA wrote:

It’s the moto capital of the USA....That hates motorcycle.

Well hopefully that changes. That state isnt friendly to anybody. Eventually theyre going to ring everyone so tight theyll leave.

|

4/16/2019 1:23 PM

How about contacting your elected officials (unless their democrats) and let them know about the dangers of high temp exhaust on brush. And battery powered vehicles don’t have the range. Get involved with the Blue Ribbon Coalition and CORVA.

|

4/16/2019 3:30 PM

Mitch_Berger wrote:

How about contacting your elected officials (unless their democrats) and let them know about the dangers of high temp exhaust on brush. And battery powered vehicles don’t have the range. Get involved with the Blue Ribbon Coalition and CORVA.

Great idea, and if they are Democrats even better. Share with them the impact of non registered riders taking to any and all trails. Even the Sierra Club knows the benefits of having prescribed riding areas.

|

4/16/2019 3:49 PM

Honda laying the groundwork for their electric motorcycle market?

|

4/16/2019 4:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2019 4:14 PM

Raise your hand if you actually read the documents related to this report.
.
..
...
.....

Well don't let that get in the way of a good pitchfork party!




Photo

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/rulemaking/2019/redstickeramendments


|

4/16/2019 5:09 PM

Alex.434 wrote:

Raise your hand if you actually read the documents related to this report.
.
..
...
.....

Well don't let that get in the way of a good pitchfork party!




Photo

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/rulemaking/2019/redstickeramendments


I just did a fare bit of reading and here's what worries me.

1. Starting with 2022 model years red sticker designation will go away. This means that you're not going to be riding your new motocross bike at state parks anymore, only ttr's, crf's, etc. or, in other words, unless manufacturers want sales to drop off a cliff there's going to be some emissions equipment on that new 450 you have your eye on in 2022.

2. They're essentially trying to regulate emissions on vehicles that in the grand scheme of things do NOTHING. Compare the emissions from all the cars idling on our congested and inefficient highway system every day and I'm sure a clear picture will be painted.

3. Can you imagine how much time, money, and resources went into this project? I mean holy hell this is just insane, I can't even believe these assholes can sit there with a straight face and explain to CA voters they need more money when this is the kind of high profile and extremely pressing issue they decide to investigate. They were thorough, I'll give them that, especially considering how deep they went into correction factors, but come on man there's got to be more pressing issues than this don't ya think?

4. The bike sale data paints a very disturbing picture. Early 2000s had incredible high sales volume, while we up currently aren't seeing much of an increase over the Great Recession.

5. Part of this study was done at UCD when I was a student there and I had absolutely no idea about it, which is somewhat surprising to me.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



4/16/2019 5:14 PM

Sounds like a California problem to me.

|

4/16/2019 5:28 PM

dickjackson170 wrote:

Sounds like a California problem to me.

What starts in California always moves East.

California is like a look into the future of America...and since everyone agrees its ran/managed so efficiently we have nothing to worry about. Right?

Everyone agrees California is a mess politically...yet the rest of the country is so eager to accept their policies a year or two down the road. It's dumb...but probably because all the Californians leave California because its a mess...but don't leave their voting tendencies in CA...it's like a virus...really. And its unfortunate.

|

4/16/2019 5:31 PM

dickjackson170 wrote:

Sounds like a California problem to me.

unfortunately, what starts in California, spreads like cancer.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

4/16/2019 5:37 PM

Ha ha, do you really believe when the libs get us all on e-bikes they'll leave us alone? Dream on.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

4/16/2019 5:43 PM

It's a discussion about exhaust regulations. Not a bill to eliminate motorcycles. Relax. You guys jump to conclusions worse than little old ladies. By the way, limiting exhaust pollution isn't necessarily a bad thing.

|

4/16/2019 5:50 PM

And I'm not just trying to stir shit. My point is, just because I love motocross and honestly, love the sound and smell of exhaust, doesn't mean it's good for the environment, someone's hearing or that anyone else likes it. I get that California has a major pollution problem and stronger environmental laws than mostly anywhere else.

|

4/16/2019 5:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2019 5:59 PM

dickjackson170 wrote:

And I'm not just trying to stir shit. My point is, just because I love motocross and honestly, love the sound and smell of exhaust, doesn't mean it's good for the environment, someone's hearing or that anyone else likes it. I get that California has a major pollution problem and stronger environmental laws than mostly anywhere else.

I think the counter argument is that California has far bigger fish to fry than dirt bike exhaust. Taking a 5 gallon bucket of water out of lake mead is the equivalent of eliminating all dirt bike exhaust caused pollution in California.

They are going after dirt bike exhaust because the greenie groups are well funded, loud, persistent, and refuse to give up...so stuff like this bill get put into law...not because dirt bikes are bad for the environment but because the greenie groups are trying to turn public land in this country into a museum (look but don’t touch)...they simply use “saving the planet” as the publicly acceptable talking point that people who are uneducated about the issue won’t say no too. (Kind of like you...).

Don’t fall for it.

|

4/16/2019 5:57 PM

oldblood wrote:

Ha ha, do you really believe when the libs get us all on e-bikes they'll leave us alone? Dream on.

It's NEVER been a noise issue. It's a dust issue. Then its a having fun issue. Then its stealing sunlight issue.

|

4/16/2019 5:59 PM

dickjackson170 wrote:

It's a discussion about exhaust regulations. Not a bill to eliminate motorcycles. Relax. You guys jump to conclusions worse than little old ladies. By the way, limiting exhaust pollution isn't necessarily a bad thing.

"like little old ladies "? Ha ha, holy shit, you're not familiar with the recent history of libs closing riding land, encouraging 4 strokes only to issue them red stickers, and spending the green (red) sticker money on hiring more state workers and buying state vehicles rather than purchasing more ohv land.
But you are partially right, I am old.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

4/16/2019 6:01 PM

oldblood wrote:

Ha ha, do you really believe when the libs get us all on e-bikes they'll leave us alone? Dream on.

Tiki wrote:

It's NEVER been a noise issue. It's a dust issue. Then its a having fun issue. Then its stealing sunlight issue.

Those 4 strokes were such a great idea.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

4/16/2019 6:02 PM

dickjackson170 wrote:

Sounds like a California problem to me.

Titan1 wrote:

What starts in California always moves East.

California is like a look into the future of America...and since everyone agrees its ran/managed so efficiently we have nothing to worry about. Right?

Everyone agrees California is a mess politically...yet the rest of the country is so eager to accept their policies a year or two down the road. It's dumb...but probably because all the Californians leave California because its a mess...but don't leave their voting tendencies in CA...it's like a virus...really. And its unfortunate.

Not exactly. We have nothing like that green/red sticker stuff here. I have a brand new street legal two stroke....we are a lot more lenient on emissions here. For cars, motorcycles, off-road motorcycles, etc.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

4/16/2019 6:03 PM

I blame HONDA.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

4/16/2019 6:14 PM

I know its not the popular thinking around here, but all this goes away with electric bikes. I'm hoping that electric CRF is for real.

|

4/16/2019 6:27 PM

dickjackson170 wrote:

Sounds like a California problem to me.

Titan1 wrote:

What starts in California always moves East.

California is like a look into the future of America...and since everyone agrees its ran/managed so efficiently we have nothing to worry about. Right?

Everyone agrees California is a mess politically...yet the rest of the country is so eager to accept their policies a year or two down the road. It's dumb...but probably because all the Californians leave California because its a mess...but don't leave their voting tendencies in CA...it's like a virus...really. And its unfortunate.

BobPA wrote:

Not exactly. We have nothing like that green/red sticker stuff here. I have a brand new street legal two stroke....we are a lot more lenient on emissions here. For cars, motorcycles, off-road motorcycles, etc.

*Not yet

|