ANTONIO CAIROLI SIGNS TWO-YEAR EXTENSION

Red Bull Factory KTM announced today that nine-time, and defending FIM Motocross World Champion, Antonio Cairoli has signed a two-year extension to stay with the team through 2020.

Cairoli, 32, enters the 2018 MXGP season opener next weekend in Argentina seeking a tenth world title, which would tie Stefan Everts for most all time.

“I’m really happy to announce this because we already made history in 2010 with the KTM 350 SX-F against the 450s and succeeded with that challenge. I feel a part of KTM because of that success and since then the company has grown a lot," commented Cairoli. “I put in a lot of effort to bring titles and I feel very proud to be part of the company. They invest a lot and do a lot of work in development and you see the result because it is the top off-road manufacturer in the world. I’m happy to continue and to do another two years and to try for more titles. I’m fully motivated for the upcoming seasons."

This year will mark Cairoli’s 15th term as a full-time GP rider and his ninth with Red Bull KTM. The Italian enters the 2018 season with nine titles (seven in the premier class since 2009, six with SX-F technology), 213 GP appearances, 83 career wins and 145 podiums (with 163 moto victories).

“Around two years ago people were already saying that Tony was getting too old to stay at the top and I took that moment to declare that we had full trust in his skills and capabilities. He had two tough seasons but it was amazing how he bounced back in 2017 and showed that we were absolutely right," said Pit Beirer. “It made me happy and very proud that he wanted to continue and he wants to keep pushing. I believe Tony has found the right balance in his life – personally and professionally – to keep racing and wanting to achieve. He is very passionate about it and this is why he continues to be so strong. I’m only too happy to make this strong commitment to Tony and very pleased that our MXGP story will go on. I also want to thank and pay credit to Claudio De Carli and his role. He has had a big say in the Cairoli-KTM success over the years and long may it last."

Cairoli is entering the season in fine form after dominating the three round Italian Motocross Championship, clinching his tenth title in the series last weekend.

The 19-round 2018 FIM Motocross World Championship kicks off next weekend in Argentina. You can watch the action live on MXGP-TV.com.

http://racerxonline.com/2018/02/24/antonio-cairoli-signs-two-year-exten…
|
2/24/2018 10:28am
Herlings is going to make it very difficult to get that number 10. I had written him off before last year but he is looking better than ever, very impressive.
philG
2/24/2018 11:00am
So Herlings has to win the crown for the next 3 years , he doesnt win it because the best guy decided to retire. I like that a lot.
2/24/2018 11:10am
So he has 3 more seasons to get 2 more titles to be the best mxgp rider ever with 11 crowns.(that's IF he decides to retire in 2020?)
All hail ceasar!

The Shop

B DUB 333
2/24/2018 1:18pm
Without an ama nationals title he's got nuttin. Takes 10 gp titles to make one ama title. Just kidding, I'm sure Carolla could podium over here if hour showed up like herrings did, ya know, with the top ama guys coasting because the titles on the line. Laughing
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
2/24/2018 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2018 1:49pm
So he has 3 more seasons to get 2 more titles to be the best mxgp rider ever with 11 crowns.(that's IF he decides to retire...
So he has 3 more seasons to get 2 more titles to be the best mxgp rider ever with 11 crowns.(that's IF he decides to retire in 2020?)
All hail ceasar!
Already is the best post modern GP rider, last year stamped that.
plowboy
2/24/2018 2:11pm
TC has nothing left to prove. He is a legend and is now racing for pride. What a champion.. Respect.
Frank
2/24/2018 3:13pm
Much respect. I hope he takes his 10th World Title this year. To me he is the best motocross racer in the world for more reasons than just his wins.
Motofinne
2/24/2018 3:16pm
I really, really hope that he beats Everts record. Mainly because that will be the nail in the coffin for the 72 vs 222 debate.
Brent
2/24/2018 3:17pm
Tony is the man, I wish I we had a rider at his level here in the US.
agn5009
2/24/2018 3:28pm
Brent wrote:
Yep. That rider retired at the end of the last SX season. It's weird not having a legend anywhere in the lineup. I don't ever remember that happening much. Since 2000 there's been RD, RV, RC, JS and MC. I think Langston winning in 97 or 98? Was the only time a true legend hasn't won up until MX last year.

dirtnapper
2/24/2018 3:41pm
Brent wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Yep. That rider retired at the end of the last SX season. It's weird not having a legend anywhere in the lineup. I don't ever remember...
Yep. That rider retired at the end of the last SX season. It's weird not having a legend anywhere in the lineup. I don't ever remember that happening much. Since 2000 there's been RD, RV, RC, JS and MC. I think Langston winning in 97 or 98? Was the only time a true legend hasn't won up until MX last year.

Nice little dig at Reed there......Whistling

Good luck to AC - I hope he wins it again this year!
Johnny Depp
2/24/2018 4:02pm
Absolutely deserves all the money. He is rock solid, the Valentino Rossi of MX.

Herlings will have to mature into someone who isn't injured every year to be a title holder.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/24/2018 4:42pm
Awesome. Gteat news. Guy is a great champion.
agn5009
2/24/2018 5:48pm
Brent wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Yep. That rider retired at the end of the last SX season. It's weird not having a legend anywhere in the lineup. I don't ever remember...

dirtnapper wrote:
Nice little dig at Reed there......Whistling

Good luck to AC - I hope he wins it again this year!
Kinda forgot about Reed honestly. Let's be real though, he ain't battling for any wins this year.

Post a reply to: ANTONIO CAIROLI SIGNS TWO-YEAR EXTENSION

The Latest