AMA vs GP enough already!

Motofinne
5/25/2015 4:58am
struth wrote:
Not many people in Australia would know top 5 of AMA or mxgp. F1 OR MOTO GP THOUSANDS more know about those two. Sport of mx...
Not many people in Australia would know top 5 of AMA or mxgp.
F1 OR MOTO GP THOUSANDS more know about those two.
Sport of mx needs to grow world wide , having to split championships does not help the mxgp or AMA.
I agree with you. If this tiny, tiny, i repeat tiny sport wants to be bigger we need one world series where all the best compete like the Moto GPs.
5/25/2015 6:19am
struth wrote:
Not many people in Australia would know top 5 of AMA or mxgp. F1 OR MOTO GP THOUSANDS more know about those two. Sport of mx...
Sport of mx needs to grow world wide , having to split championships does not help the mxgp or AMA.
Motofinne wrote:
I agree with you. If this tiny, tiny, i repeat tiny sport wants to be bigger we need one world series where all the best compete...
I agree with you. If this tiny, tiny, i repeat tiny sport wants to be bigger we need one world series where all the best compete like the Moto GPs.
But we do have ONE world series , its called the MX GP,s ??

At the end of the day the AMA nationals are just another domestic championship .

The comparison with F1 is unfair , as in F1 , just as it seems to be in MX there is somewhat of a split in drivers and fanbase , as the domestic US championships such as Indy Car and Nascar are more popular with the majority of fans and sponsors in the US and F1 seems to take a back seat to those , but having said that the F1 GP series is without doubt regarded as the premier series and does just fine without any US drivers .

As you say though , in Moto GP , all the top US riders realise ( therefore fans ) that they have to go over to the GP series to get the recognition and big bucks .
Motofinne
5/25/2015 7:12am
But we do have ONE world series , its called the MX GP,s ?? At the end of the day the AMA nationals are just another...

At the end of the day the AMA nationals are just another domestic championship .

The comparison with F1 is unfair , as in F1 , just as it seems to be in MX there is somewhat of a split in drivers and fanbase , as the domestic US championships such as Indy Car and Nascar are more popular with the majority of fans and sponsors in the US and F1 seems to take a back seat to those , but having said that the F1 GP series is without doubt regarded as the premier series and does just fine without any US drivers .

As you say though , in Moto GP , all the top US riders realise ( therefore fans ) that they have to go over to the GP series to get the recognition and big bucks .
You need to take a look at what i wrote again.

"we need one world series where all the best compete"

The GPs are there and all it's lacking is more americans. It sucks that RV got injured(i hope he does another year, retiring like this would be bad). We have at least Covington that's racing mx2 but i would like to see more americans in the GPs and i'm sure that Luongo will look in to the TV ratings when the 2015 season is over and come to the conclusion that RV has had an impact on the ratings.

We(the MX community over the world) need ONE series that have ALL the best riders in it. That would benefit everyone.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/25/2015 7:16am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 7:19am
i disagree about having one world series. Unity in this situation is not the best answer.

The Shop

Motofinne
5/25/2015 7:19am
burn1986 wrote:
i disagree about having one world series. Unity in this situation is not the best answer.
Are you serious? Why not?
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/25/2015 7:23am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 7:24am
The only thing that has stirred all this up is RV going over. There's nothing really that needs to be changed on either side of the pond. Both series seem to run fine o their own. If a rider wants to venture to the other series once in awhile then that's fine too. No need to try and change it over one rider here or there.
Ing
5/25/2015 7:33am
I've followed both series since the early 70's. Either your a MX fan or your not. Apples and oranges.
Motofinne
5/25/2015 7:43am
But why wouldn't we want to see a series that has all the best riders in it? And do you know what? I actually think there would be more money in the sport if the corporations would put a big chunk of money into one series not two.
Crush
5/25/2015 7:43am
Whilst it'd be cool to see more cross-competition, as if the industry is gonna cannibalise itself and blow its costs through the roof to "have" one series.

Besides, the MXDN wouldn't be half as exciting if it did. Yawn.
RG95
5/25/2015 7:57am
OnRails wrote:
Cool thread. Haven't seen this before.
LMAO
karsmakers
5/25/2015 8:13am
karsmakers wrote:
Ha asshole, my point was that both series are fast and that it takes time( as in a few years) to really make a run for...
Ha asshole, my point was that both series are fast and that it takes time( as in a few years) to really make a run for the opposite series championship.......how was that so wrong? Perhaps then you can remind me how having the MXDN over at the GP tracks virtually every year does not inherently favor the GP riders? And If you disagree with that explain how the AMA riders always win on home soil? Quite making excuses ..."why can't your superior riders do the business on AMA soil? Your logic is bullshit! The facts are that it takes time to adjust to the opposite series (as Kroc, MM, and RV) have shown....and the fact is you guys always get beat when the MXDN is here but were supposed to "do the business there" . So you fuck off because your wrong and an asshole.
Morning Pierre , Asshole eh ! , well that maybe true , thanks for pointing that out to me , I do try ! I would...
Morning Pierre ,

Asshole eh ! , well that maybe true , thanks for pointing that out to me , I do try !

I would fuck off as you ask , but unfortunately I am not wrong at all , unlike you I have formed my opinion on facts and results , which makes my logic pretty sound if you ask me , where as you just cherry pick a few points to try and justify what you think is going on .

You are trying to say , that the reason the US riders are getting beat now is because they are not familiar with the tracks the GP,s or MXDN are run at ?

well that has never been an issue in the past , so why is it suddenly so important ?

From 81 to 11 the US won the nations 22 times in those 30 years , but the event was only held on US soil 3 times , the US riders at those events didn,t seem to have a problem racing in Europe on unfamiliar tracks in the other 19 years did they ?

You also claim it takes time to adjust , to try and explain the relatively poor results RV had in this years GP,s , and also Alessi,s poor showing yesterday , but if you again take a look back at previous years results , you will see that JMB came over to the US for a few early season races in 89 before the GP,s and guess what ? He went out and won his very first moto , beating Stanton , Ward etc .

In Roczens first year in the US , he also placed 2nd in his first moto , beating Barcia and Tomac .

In 2010 , Desalle came to the US for a one off ride and went 2 2 , beating Bubba .

So as you can see , it doesn,t have to take a lot of time to adjust , if your good enough , you will get the results .
Good morning Jose, first let me say that JMB has been the exception...the guy was an incredible talent but history has not shown that riders switching series can win it for at least a few years. Roczen got a second in a moto but continually got beat by riders that he is faster than know that he has adjusted. He was 4th and MM was 5th and had no answer for Tomac, Barcia and Baggett. I think we all know KR and MM are better riders than BB and Barcia but they weren't for the first year or two over here. Anyway, you can have good results in a moto here and there but it does take time. When DeSalle came recently even to a track that no one had ridden before he still finshed 4th or 5th....which is very respectable but he was behind the leaders by a good margin. The GP riders have improved since the US ran off all the wins and in my opinion the MX1 class is deeper than the AMA open class. I also believe the Mx2 class is comparable to the lites class. My only point I was making is that it takes time to win when you move over to the AMA or GP series.
ATKpilot99
5/25/2015 8:24am
karsmakers wrote:
Good morning Jose, first let me say that JMB has been the exception...the guy was an incredible talent but history has not shown that riders switching...
Good morning Jose, first let me say that JMB has been the exception...the guy was an incredible talent but history has not shown that riders switching series can win it for at least a few years. Roczen got a second in a moto but continually got beat by riders that he is faster than know that he has adjusted. He was 4th and MM was 5th and had no answer for Tomac, Barcia and Baggett. I think we all know KR and MM are better riders than BB and Barcia but they weren't for the first year or two over here. Anyway, you can have good results in a moto here and there but it does take time. When DeSalle came recently even to a track that no one had ridden before he still finshed 4th or 5th....which is very respectable but he was behind the leaders by a good margin. The GP riders have improved since the US ran off all the wins and in my opinion the MX1 class is deeper than the AMA open class. I also believe the Mx2 class is comparable to the lites class. My only point I was making is that it takes time to win when you move over to the AMA or GP series.
Yeah but DeSalle was riding a 2008 RMZ 450 he found on craigslist....true story.
Kawi15
5/25/2015 8:33am
burn1986 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I agree with burn1986 here. Personally I think that things are best and most healthy the way they are.
PEPE001
5/25/2015 8:37am
Motofinne wrote:
But why wouldn't we want to see a series that has all the best riders in it? And do you know what? I actually think there...
But why wouldn't we want to see a series that has all the best riders in it? And do you know what? I actually think there would be more money in the sport if the corporations would put a big chunk of money into one series not two.
I spend most of my time in Europe and now I am in the USA.
The answer for that has multiple views.

1. Logistics is almost impossible doing it.
Just have a look on the Area North America it is so huge you can held the same amount of races like you do on MXGP in this area. In Europe you can drive for 2 hours and you visited 3 countries. Here you ride 20 hours and don't even see the border!
If they would be a combined series So many Riders need to fly out equipment 90% of the time way to expensive with little payback. To be fair you need to place races equally means Europe, America's and Asia.

2. The biggest Market for Off Road Motorcycles is USA
So it is more than logic that manufacturers want to have the races and good riders in the USA
The US subsidiaries are not interested letting Tomac or others competing in mainly Europe. (no payback)

In Europe you will not see that people say oh AC won the last GP I will buy a KTM tomorrow.
Here in the USA people do that, they are going to buy a new bike Monday after the race.

3. Different Tracks:
I would say different climate riding in 35c with a humidity of 90 % is brutal.
The tracks are somehow comparable at least they got to the last years.
European tracks intend more flat and smaller with less airtime.
But that changes the last Years as well so not much difference anymore.

A professional rider should be capable to adjust to the new tracks fast!

4. Faster Rider in the USA or Europe?
I don't think so they are equal however I think the MXGP riders are closer to each other.
Ok AC and JH are one of a kind but as you could see yesterday a lot of riders can win.
And this is the big difference in the USA you have about 3-5 riders who can win a class in MXGP it's about 10.

Might be because there are more factory supported riders in MXGP.

A huge difference in MXGP is there is only 1 race series and not 2 like in USA SX and MX.
So a rider can prepare 100% on MX in MXGP and that although shows the last years in MXDN that American riders intend to have issues.

The reality is the SX series is spectacular but dangerous just have a look at the last year how many riders where injured.
Now at the MX many riders are either not at 100% or don't even start due to injuries in SX.

From my point of view that's one of the main reasons we see the difference.
I makes a huge difference if you can concentrate on one race series only.
And this was a reason RV made the move to MXGP based on a interview I saw month ago.

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/25/2015 8:42am
struth wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I agree with you. If this tiny, tiny, i repeat tiny sport wants to be bigger we need one world series where all the best compete...
But we do have ONE world series , its called the MX GP,s ?? At the end of the day the AMA nationals are just another...

I find it so fascinating that a select few of you can say the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over and over.

You must have the mental capacity of a flea to talk about the same thing day in and day out.

It's painful to read, honestly.
5/25/2015 8:46am
karsmakers wrote:
Good morning Jose, first let me say that JMB has been the exception...the guy was an incredible talent but history has not shown that riders switching...
btw. as an example for your facts, did Pourcel really struggle in his first AMA season SX and MX? Did he even struggle in his second one? Before you call me an asshole now, that was just the lites and that doesn't count (common reaction in here...). So the next question would be which 450 GP guy ever switched to the big class in the AMA with the exception of JMB....? You can see where this is going, right?
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/25/2015 9:00am
Motofinne wrote:
But why wouldn't we want to see a series that has all the best riders in it? And do you know what? I actually think there...
PEPE001 wrote:
I spend most of my time in Europe and now I am in the USA. The answer for that has multiple views. 1. Logistics is almost...
I spend most of my time in Europe and now I am in the USA.
The answer for that has multiple views.

1. Logistics is almost impossible doing it.
Just have a look on the Area North America it is so huge you can held the same amount of races like you do on MXGP in this area. In Europe you can drive for 2 hours and you visited 3 countries. Here you ride 20 hours and don't even see the border!
If they would be a combined series So many Riders need to fly out equipment 90% of the time way to expensive with little payback. To be fair you need to place races equally means Europe, America's and Asia.

2. The biggest Market for Off Road Motorcycles is USA
So it is more than logic that manufacturers want to have the races and good riders in the USA
The US subsidiaries are not interested letting Tomac or others competing in mainly Europe. (no payback)

In Europe you will not see that people say oh AC won the last GP I will buy a KTM tomorrow.
Here in the USA people do that, they are going to buy a new bike Monday after the race.

3. Different Tracks:
I would say different climate riding in 35c with a humidity of 90 % is brutal.
The tracks are somehow comparable at least they got to the last years.
European tracks intend more flat and smaller with less airtime.
But that changes the last Years as well so not much difference anymore.

A professional rider should be capable to adjust to the new tracks fast!

4. Faster Rider in the USA or Europe?
I don't think so they are equal however I think the MXGP riders are closer to each other.
Ok AC and JH are one of a kind but as you could see yesterday a lot of riders can win.
And this is the big difference in the USA you have about 3-5 riders who can win a class in MXGP it's about 10.

Might be because there are more factory supported riders in MXGP.

A huge difference in MXGP is there is only 1 race series and not 2 like in USA SX and MX.
So a rider can prepare 100% on MX in MXGP and that although shows the last years in MXDN that American riders intend to have issues.

The reality is the SX series is spectacular but dangerous just have a look at the last year how many riders where injured.
Now at the MX many riders are either not at 100% or don't even start due to injuries in SX.

From my point of view that's one of the main reasons we see the difference.
I makes a huge difference if you can concentrate on one race series only.
And this was a reason RV made the move to MXGP based on a interview I saw month ago.

Yep, good points
Hut
5/25/2015 9:04am
burn1986 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Kawi15 wrote:
I agree with burn1986 here. Personally I think that things are best and most healthy the way they are.
I agree, our Nationals are fine just the way they are.
DPR250R
5/25/2015 9:06am

Sorry... It's not a world championship. It is the GP's and it is a great series. No sarcasm at all.

I wish we had better coverage over here. Maybe some day.
PEPE001
5/25/2015 9:28am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 10:06am

F1 is a media construct and has nothing really to do with manufacturer competing in a series.
Just Ferrari and Mercedes show direct presence all others are somehow invisible.

Moto GP is a different story:
The race series is way more attractive than the Onroad race series here in the USA.
And payment seems way better as well.

MXGP is different there is more money here in the USA.
At MXGP there are a view who make "big bucks" in the USA there are way more.

DC
5/25/2015 9:34am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 9:35am
You guys keep forgetting about the elephant in the room, the giant importance of the most successful motocross series of all, Monster Energy AMA Supercross. They are what drives the market most, and they tried global expansion and it did not work. How would a motocross series starting at the end of May and traveling to the far corners of the world fare any better? And what would happen to the nationals and their promoters? I don't think they would just go away...

And this statement "Might be because there are more factory supported riders in MXGP" doesn't make much sense to me...

DC
MX Sports

karsmakers
5/25/2015 9:39am
karsmakers wrote:
btw. as an example for your facts, did Pourcel really struggle in his first AMA season SX and MX? Did he even struggle in his second...
btw. as an example for your facts, did Pourcel really struggle in his first AMA season SX and MX? Did he even struggle in his second one? Before you call me an asshole now, that was just the lites and that doesn't count (common reaction in here...). So the next question would be which 450 GP guy ever switched to the big class in the AMA with the exception of JMB....? You can see where this is going, right?
Well your right that the GP lights winners are the ones that come over and there have been many. Rattray, Searle, Porcel, KR, MM etc.. and to my point, most don't win right away. I'm not sure why you GP fans have such a hard time acknowledging that or the fact that you never win the MXDN when its here as opposed to there. Can you answer that?
ATKpilot99
5/25/2015 9:49am
btw. as an example for your facts, did Pourcel really struggle in his first AMA season SX and MX? Did he even struggle in his second...
Greg Albertyn was a multi time World Champion before coming here and struggling before finally winning a National title in the big bike class. A lot of that was due to injuries caused by SX but still. I think 95 was his first season and he was healthy to start the nationals and very fast but didn't win the title till 99. Pichon is another example but in a different way. I think he won one moto here in the big bike class then went back to Europe and promptly won some world titles. Did that mean the AMA series was better or stronger? Not necessarily. The tracks and being back home probably just suited him better. I've always loved and followed both series' .
PEPE001
5/25/2015 10:05am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 10:12am
DC wrote:
You guys keep forgetting about the elephant in the room, the giant importance of the most successful motocross series of all, Monster Energy AMA Supercross. They...
You guys keep forgetting about the elephant in the room, the giant importance of the most successful motocross series of all, Monster Energy AMA Supercross. They are what drives the market most, and they tried global expansion and it did not work. How would a motocross series starting at the end of May and traveling to the far corners of the world fare any better? And what would happen to the nationals and their promoters? I don't think they would just go away...

And this statement "Might be because there are more factory supported riders in MXGP" doesn't make much sense to me...

DC
MX Sports

The SX Series pulls only in the USA.
Outside of the USA you hardly can even watch it.

The factory supported riders is in relation to the closeness of the field.
Here in the USA you do have a hand full of factory supported riders.
As it seems there must be more in MXGP otherwise it would be almost impossible that about 10 riders per class could win a race.

Means they focus on riding only and don't have to deal with other issue and planning.
And that makes a difference if you can focus on your daily training and riding.

See M. Stewart good rider fast and good for win he didn't even got a ride for the Outdoors.
that shows me that in the USA Motocross is focused on SX, the Outdoors are there but nut with the same engagement from the smaller Teams.

But you are right in the USA market wise only the SX Series counts.
And that's a huge difference riding SX or MX in your daily focus.

Zracer
5/25/2015 10:23am
DC wrote:
You guys keep forgetting about the elephant in the room, the giant importance of the most successful motocross series of all, Monster Energy AMA Supercross. They...

DC
MX Sports

Leave it to DC to drop the logic bomb.....
DC
5/25/2015 10:25am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 10:52am
Malcolm had a ride with GEICO but took summer off to get some lingering injuries and illness sorted. He has a deal for next year too, same team.
And your definition of factory support is based not on actual support but the amount of guys who have won a race? Seems like we have a bunch of guys that have won a race...
And if no one watches supercross over there, why do all European magazines cover it and fans come on here and argue?

DC
MC Sports
Hut
5/25/2015 10:28am
There is always a bunch of euro's on here that wake up in the weee hours to participate in the SX and MX race discussion threads.
njracer46
5/25/2015 10:30am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports

PEPE001 wrote:
The SX Series pulls only in the USA. Outside of the USA you hardly can even watch it. The factory supported riders is in relation to...
The SX Series pulls only in the USA.
Outside of the USA you hardly can even watch it.

The factory supported riders is in relation to the closeness of the field.
Here in the USA you do have a hand full of factory supported riders.
As it seems there must be more in MXGP otherwise it would be almost impossible that about 10 riders per class could win a race.

Means they focus on riding only and don't have to deal with other issue and planning.
And that makes a difference if you can focus on your daily training and riding.

See M. Stewart good rider fast and good for win he didn't even got a ride for the Outdoors.
that shows me that in the USA Motocross is focused on SX, the Outdoors are there but nut with the same engagement from the smaller Teams.

But you are right in the USA market wise only the SX Series counts.
And that's a huge difference riding SX or MX in your daily focus.

Pep- Malcolm doesn't have a ride because of health problems and decided to take the summer off. You must have missed all the topics on it and the pr statement on the home page before hangtown

Dc- random question for you. Why is it that on the sx broadcasts they go through great lengths to avoid the fact that we have a mx series. I think someone here said they were interviewing Kenny once and he said he was starting to train for mx. They quickly changed topics. But on the mx broadcasts they bring up sx a few times an episode. Even say monster energy supercross, giving free plugs. Always wondered this.
PEPE001
5/25/2015 10:36am
DC wrote:
Malcolm had a ride with GEICO but took summer off to get some lingering injuries and illness sorted. He has a deal for next year too...
Malcolm had a ride with GEICO but took summer off to get some lingering injuries and illness sorted. He has a deal for next year too, same team.
And your definition of factory support is based not on actual support but the amount of guys who have won a race? Seems like we have a bunch of guys that have won a race...
And if no one watches supercross over there, why do all European magazines cover it and fans come on here and argue?

DC
MC Sports
I try it all the time when I am in Europe, Live coverage and even recorded coverage is almost impossible on "official local TV channels". Magazines do write about it but who wants to read something what was 4-8 weeks ago.

That worked 15 to 20 Years ago but not now anymore.

Currently in the US Series it is very limited who can win races or not?

Don't get me wrong but have a look on the results.
At MXGP the top 10 are within 30 seconds here there are 30 seconds between 1st and 2nd "at the moment"
That's what I mean, there must be a reason for that or not?

Or is it simple that once you cant win a race anymore you back off and slow down.
Wouldn't make any sense to me.

To me it seems (and I don't have the insight) that factory or support is on a wider basis in MXGP compared to the Nationals.
I might be totally wrong, but why do we see that huge difference. Or is it the tracks? Don't know.

PEPE001
5/25/2015 10:49am
njracer46 wrote:
Pep- Malcolm doesn't have a ride because of health problems and decided to take the summer off. You must have missed all the topics on it...
Pep- Malcolm doesn't have a ride because of health problems and decided to take the summer off. You must have missed all the topics on it and the pr statement on the home page before hangtown

Dc- random question for you. Why is it that on the sx broadcasts they go through great lengths to avoid the fact that we have a mx series. I think someone here said they were interviewing Kenny once and he said he was starting to train for mx. They quickly changed topics. But on the mx broadcasts they bring up sx a few times an episode. Even say monster energy supercross, giving free plugs. Always wondered this.
Regarding Malcom yes I missed that.

Regarding the broadcast you see a difference.
SX is in my point of view almost perfect ok don't have FoxSports 2 with my provider but that's ok.
The live coverage is great interruption only between the races.

The nationals is a totally different story it is most like you see some Motocross between a lot of commercials.
I know commercials are financing the broadcast but we see that it can be done different like SX.

Post a reply to: AMA vs GP enough already!

The Latest