AMA rules on J-Law and Hill

500guy
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 6:46pm
AMA Racing News
American Motorcyclist Association

June 12, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AMA Racing levies fines against Motocross riders Jason Lawrence and Josh Hill

PICKERINGTON, Ohio-The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) issued separate penalties today to professional motocross riders Jason Lawrence and Josh Hill for off-track activities detrimental to the sport at last weekend's AMA Toyota Motocross Championship Presented by FMF at Freestone County Raceway in Wortham, Texas, June 7-8.

"AMA Racing conducted an investigation on the reported incidents involving each rider at the event," said AMA Director of Motocross/Supercross/ATV Ryan Holliday. "It was determined that unacceptable behavior detrimental to the sport had occurred, and that the professionalism and the integrity of the series and its promoters had been severely compromised."

The nature of Lawrence's and Hill's offenses have been reported elsewhere in the media.

Lawrence and Hill have each been fined $25,000 by the AMA, payment for which will be suspended contingent upon the successful completion of a one-year probation period with no further offenses. If either rider is involved in any disciplinary action during the next 12 months, the suspended fine would be enforced, as well as the second offense penalty. In addition, further disciplinary action will be considered, including the suspension or loss of license from AMA competition.

The riders were notified of the penalties on June 12, 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About AMA Racing

AMA Racing is the competition arm of the American Motorcyclist Association and is the leading sanctioning body for motorcycle sport in the United States. Its professional properties include the Monster Energy® AMA Supercross Series, an FIM World Championship, the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship presented by FMF, the AMA Superbike Championship presented by Parts Unlimited, the AMA Flat Track Championship, the AMA Supermoto Championship and the AMA Pro ATV Championship. In amateur and pro-am competition, AMA Racing sanctions more than 4,000 events in 24 different disciplines and supports more than 110,000 active members. For more information about professional racing, visit www.amaproracing.com. Accredited media outlets can also access an online Press Room . For amateur racing information visit the AMA Sports page at the AMA website.

|
6/12/2008 7:09pm
lol.. i love jlaw but i just kinda find it funny ..oh well he had a one race off probation
todder
6/12/2008 7:59pm
Copied from TXmotocross.com

DET Racing

I had 7 boys under 15 sitting outside our van playing Rock Band when Jason Lawrence sat down in an empty chair and watched for what they said was 2 or 3 minutes. We were the second to last trailer along the fence next to where he rolled. One said he had a large beer can, the other said it was a bottle of something, but they all said they could smell him. They watched him get up, talk with some people and 3 guys got into the car and went flying across the pasture, pulled the e-brake and rolled it twice. The kids ran to get all the parents in the trailers and we all went out to see what they were freaking out about.
I am not here to judge anybody, but when I go to a PRO NATIONAL race and have to worry about my son and his friends being 100 yards from someone... ANYONE speeding through the field we are sleeping in and ROLLING a car, I start to ask questions. And then they were all allowed to walk away and we saw them race the next day!!! I had no idea who Jason Lawrence was until Friday night but those boys did... and they race too. Please someone tell me if that is what I should want my 11 year old son looking up to and wanting to be when he grows up??
The three guys in that car are lucky to be alive and I guess so are my son and his friends who were playing xbox.
I know as a mother I over analyze things, but I don't think I did this time.
I haven't seen any pictures yet, so I'll put up one.

I have read several comments on several sights and want to reiterate that I don't care who was in that car, driving or passenger, it was crashed in the fenced, patrolled, amateur camping grounds. What happens on the road or in someones back yard is not my concern or care, but that was not the case here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JLcar.jpg
Description:

Filesize: 161.25 KB
Viewed: 2930 Time(s)

nc_mx_kid
6/12/2008 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:16pm
this is nothing new to our sport.

I don't feel the AMA should have the authority to put a rider on probation for what JLaw & JHill did. Granted it was wreckless behavior in a car and on track grounds.

The Shop

newmann
6/12/2008 8:40pm
So, if their AMA Pro license got pulled, what would they do for money? Got a lifestyle to maintain!! I find it hard to believe these two got to the point they are at without a lot of time ,effort and sacrifice by their family and parents. Kids don't just come out of nowhere and win national championships these days like some did back in the 70's. Seems somewhere along the way they would have learned a lot more about respect and work ethic than your everyday kids. Guess not...
TerryK
6/12/2008 9:11pm
I like both riders but.....these idiots need to realize that Yamaha has invested HUGE money it them and pretty much owns their asses while under contract. Bullshit behaviour like this is unacceptable for a "professional" motocross racer. I think the fine should apply immediately or they will learn nothing.
moto329
6/12/2008 9:11pm
newmann wrote:
So, if their AMA Pro license got pulled, what would they do for money? Got a lifestyle to maintain!! I find it hard to believe these...
So, if their AMA Pro license got pulled, what would they do for money? Got a lifestyle to maintain!! I find it hard to believe these two got to the point they are at without a lot of time ,effort and sacrifice by their family and parents. Kids don't just come out of nowhere and win national championships these days like some did back in the 70's. Seems somewhere along the way they would have learned a lot more about respect and work ethic than your everyday kids. Guess not...
Lawrence would sell weed I'm sure. He buys enough of it anyway.
WhKnuckle
6/12/2008 9:13pm
This has gotten ridiculous. It's a job performance issue between the riders and Yamaha.
TerryK
6/12/2008 9:18pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
This has gotten ridiculous. It's a job performance issue between the riders and Yamaha.
How about giving Hammy a nice shiny factory Yamaha that's being wasted on Hill? A simple change of settings and numbers a viola! Instant top ten for Yamaha!!
drmarkr
6/12/2008 9:34pm
Just sowing his oats.....no harm, no foul.....didn't hit any kids in the field.

What's the big deal?

MR
drmarkr
6/12/2008 9:58pm
That's what I get for being so old....and sarcastic!

MR
akmx17
6/12/2008 10:02pm
Fuck the AMA.
It wasn't at the track.
It had nothing to do with them.
Rot in hell.
moto329
6/12/2008 10:27pm
akmx17 wrote:
Fuck the AMA.
It wasn't at the track.
It had nothing to do with them.
Rot in hell.
Uhhh, it was at the track. Not on it, but at it none the less.
SH_105
6/12/2008 10:43pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
TerryK wrote:
How about giving Hammy a nice shiny factory Yamaha that's being wasted on Hill? A simple change of settings and numbers a viola! Instant top ten...
How about giving Hammy a nice shiny factory Yamaha that's being wasted on Hill? A simple change of settings and numbers a viola! Instant top ten for Yamaha!!
HAHAHA if only it were that easy............. For sure it would be nic but just is not going to happen I am affraid!!

SH 105
andymoto
6/12/2008 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:16pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
TerryK wrote:
How about giving Hammy a nice shiny factory Yamaha that's being wasted on Hill? A simple change of settings and numbers a viola! Instant top ten...
Hill is not a multiple offender and he still only 18 without a ton of Outdoor Nats experience. Wins an SX in the premier class, podiums some and believe he got 5 or 6th OA in SX. Don't matter who was hurt; he did probably more than Yam expected and those that did get hurt should be on their Outdoor game that are riding.

I don't disagree with Terry at all normally, but the bike Hills riding is not being wasted....
Only the kids second full outdoor season and to be on the big bikes, he'll need this year to get his Outdoor program set up to make a big run next season; and he's only 18....Bradshaw was the last rider I remember after only one full 125 Outdoor season going to the 250's...more successfully.

Hamblin does deserve better; that I agree wholeheartedly with....from overseas to nothing to top tens...Both him and Hill need to get some starts while James and Mike already are long gone with theirs.

Trip
6/13/2008 1:31am
Does the AMA really have authority to place penalties on riders for non track issues?

I've never heard of them smacking someone with probation for something that happend off the track. Maybe they have before?

I know they have a AMA Pro License, but is there a contact with that license?

I know the other sports have deals with the unions that lets the league take off the field actions into account, but no such thing exists in mx.

I think,if its true that 338 has two dui's, why didn't they do anything about that? To me dui's are little more criminal than rolling a rental.
Dropbear
6/13/2008 2:23am
Truth is not many of started riding dirt bikes because we wanted to be fit, health conscious athletes. We found out that part of it later.

We got into it cause we liked raising hell on smelly, noisy motorcycles.

Let's hope they learn their lesson.
catatonic
6/13/2008 3:49am
Dropbear wrote:
Truth is not many of started riding dirt bikes because we wanted to be fit, health conscious athletes. We found out that part of it later...
Truth is not many of started riding dirt bikes because we wanted to be fit, health conscious athletes. We found out that part of it later.

good point.
35smom
6/13/2008 4:21am
Dropbear wrote:
Truth is not many of started riding dirt bikes because we wanted to be fit, health conscious athletes. We found out that part of it later...

That is the most intelligent post of the whole week.....thank you!
WSR
6/13/2008 4:37am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2008 4:37am
Is Jason on double secret probation?
dlhamblin
6/13/2008 4:54am
SH_105 wrote:
HAHAHA if only it were that easy............. For sure it would be nic but just is not going to happen I am affraid!!

SH 105
Well, we can hope can't we???
dlhamblin
6/13/2008 4:57am
Dropbear wrote:

Well, I actually started riding in 1974 for the fun of it??? Unsure
KMC440
6/13/2008 5:15am
Where is Yamaha, Freestone, and NPG in all of this.

Maybe I missed a press release somewhere.......

NateCrisman
6/13/2008 5:17am
Eh, this is just probation all over again. IMO, both should have to pay the fine now, with the clause of "you get half back after a year of being good". AMA should use that $25,000 to up the rider payouts.
armpumpking
6/13/2008 5:31am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:16pm

They should stick to what works....
englishman
6/13/2008 6:14am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:16pm
SH_105 wrote:

SH 105
I don't get it I'm afraid. Yamaha has 2 Factory 450's just sitting there - Langstons & Heplers plus a load of special parts from Reeds bike.

Just sitting there. Collecting dust . Getting old

Why can't they help you out ??
BobbyM
6/13/2008 6:20am
Trip wrote:
Does the AMA really have authority to place penalties on riders for non track issues? I've never heard of them smacking someone with probation for something...
Does the AMA really have authority to place penalties on riders for non track issues?

I've never heard of them smacking someone with probation for something that happend off the track. Maybe they have before?

I know the other sports have deals with the unions that lets the league take off the field actions into account, but no such thing exists in mx.

I think,if its true that 338 has two dui's, why didn't they do anything about that? To me dui's are little more criminal than rolling a rental.
WTF do you wankers not understand about off-track activities detrimental to the sport? Every sport has this type of rule, hell every corporation has this type of rule.
peeps sr
6/13/2008 6:22am
Trip wrote:
Does the AMA really have authority to place penalties on riders for non track issues? I've never heard of them smacking someone with probation for something...

BobbyM wrote:
WTF do you wankers not understand about [u]off-track activities detrimental to the sport[/u]? Every sport has this type of rule, hell every corporation has this type...
WTF do you wankers not understand about off-track activities detrimental to the sport? Every sport has this type of rule, hell every corporation has this type of rule.
I concur...
KAWboy14
6/13/2008 6:25am
so your saying they stole the car from the guy who rented it?
KAWboy14
6/13/2008 6:26am
their fines should be in comparison to the payouts.....they shoulda been fined $89.00

Post a reply to: AMA rules on J-Law and Hill

The Latest