AMA clarifies re Peick/Faith

Related:
Create New Tag

2/24/2012 3:57 AM

Pickerington, Ohio, February 24th 2012

The AMA would like to clarify it’s position following the incident at the Dallas Supercross on February 18th involving the close finish in the Last Chance Qualifing race between Weston Peick and Gavin Faith.

Both riders crossed the finish line almost side-by-side and although it was first thought that Peick had beaten Faith to the line the decision was taken by AMA officials to reverse the decision and declare Faith as the rider that crossed the line first.

The AMA acknowledges that the AMA transponder data showed otherwise, and that most onlookers also considered that Peick had passed the finish line first. However the AMA would like to clarify that it was only after very careful and lengthy consultation, with very important people with whom we have a vested interest, that the decision was made to cave in and declare that not only was the AMA’s own scoring equipment wrong, but also that every one of the 50,000 normal, intelligent and observant people who saw Peick clearly cross the line first was in fact wrong, blind, and stupid.

The AMA would also like to point out that although the finish line is clearly marked, by the AMA, and the AMA carefully positions both the checkered flag and the transponder receivers to align with that line, the AMA reserves the right to retrospectively re-define the finish line as wherever on the track it sees fit in order to satisfy the self-serving interests of either the AMA or it’s cohorts.

Following the success of this most recent precedent-setting cave-in the AMA has been encouraged wholeheartedly by the factories into revisiting other questionably close finishes, all in the interests of fair play. It has therefore been decided that the 1987 Daytona Supercross, could not possibly have been won by annoying privateer Rick Ryan and the AMA’s newly appointed director of retrospective results amendment (pictured below) is currently on his way to Rick’s house to retieve the incorrectly awarded trophy.

|

2/24/2012 4:20 AM

Hahahaha...excellent!

Pretty spot on as well.

|

Ironman Texas, May 17th, 2014, I became an IRONMAN.

2/24/2012 5:26 AM

Anyone have a clip of the finish?

|

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Scottish. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Scotsman!

2/24/2012 5:30 AM

|

2/24/2012 6:12 AM

So I see some flags up near the top of the jump. Wonder what that signifies?

|

2/24/2012 6:27 AM

newmann wrote:

So I see some flags up near the top of the jump. Wonder what that signifies?

That's where the flagman stands. That's his supply of flags.

|

2/24/2012 7:45 AM

HAR!

I cannot believe that there has been no statement or clarification about this. I guess they figure that if they ignore it, it will die. Which is probably true because the Moto-Media aka publicists will never bring it up or ask them about it.

|

2/24/2012 7:52 AM

Good Post

|

in a past life, I was myself

when opportunity knocked, it waited because I was busy

I gave my father a talking to

2/24/2012 8:19 AM

A variation of this happened when Langston and Alessi came together at Hangtown in 05. The transponder was at the bottom of the jump, the flag at the top. Alessi couldn't start the bike, but got it past the transponder and collapsed. Then everyone was yelling at him that he hadn't crossed the finish, and he tried to push it up the face of the jump but couldn't. Lost a lot of places after he pushed it past the transponder before he finally got it fired and rode past the flag.

Somehow, everyone knew the flag was the finish and there was no controversy.

Crappy video

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

2/24/2012 8:26 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

A variation of this happened when Langston and Alessi came together at Hangtown in 05. The transponder was at the bottom of the jump, the flag at the top. Alessi couldn't start the bike, but got it past the transponder and collapsed. Then everyone was yelling at him that he hadn't crossed the finish, and he tried to push it up the face of the jump but couldn't. Lost a lot of places after he pushed it past the transponder before he finally got it fired and rode past the flag.

Crappy video

If I remember right, didn't they think he had finished because he crossed the transponder line but then they made him cross the "finish line"?

|

2/24/2012 8:39 AM

Hahaha.

Ohio ought to do better.

|

May 2012 be the best year of year of your life.

2/24/2012 8:59 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Crappy video

I was standing at fence, it was a great pass by Langston and Alessi was a stud trying to push that bike up the hill.

|

2/24/2012 9:27 AM

MotoChief Dos wrote:

HAR!

I cannot believe that there has been no statement or clarification about this. I guess they figure that if they ignore it, it will die. Which is probably true because the Moto-Media aka publicists will never bring it up or ask them about it.

There's no need for a statement or a clarification because they followed their own rules exactly.

Did you see the 5 Minutes with Gavin Faith on RacerX Online today?

|

2/24/2012 10:01 AM

MotoChief Dos wrote:

HAR!

SteveS wrote:

There's no need for a statement or a clarification because they followed their own rules exactly.

Good read, but it said nothing to clarify the incident.

And you don't think the crap about the location of the finish line should be clarified?

|

2/24/2012 10:36 AM

MotoChief Dos wrote:

HAR!

SteveS wrote:

MotoChief Dos wrote:

Good read, but it said nothing to clarify the incident.

And you don't think the crap about the location of the finish line should be clarified?

in everr race i have ever been to the finish line is in line with the guy holding the flag,

In a supercross race I ran down here we had the same problem, the transponder line is always at the base of the jump because the way they are set in the ground makes it near impossible to do at a top of a jump, we always instruct the flag man that he is the final call as he is in line,

|

2/24/2012 10:44 AM

Why would the AMA care if Peick or Faith won?

I'm not seeing the AMA connection to either of them.

Can someone explain or is this a joke and I'm too thick to get it? LOL

|

2/24/2012 11:02 AM

Like JLaw, I'm over it. If the finish is the top of the jump, then the AMA got it wrong. If theyare going with the base of the jump they got it right. Anyone expecting the AMA to release anything related to the finish, is living in dreamland.

|

If only those who knew less didn't always think they knew better.

2/24/2012 11:14 AM

The AMA should be sued by someone for this.

|

2/24/2012 11:22 AM

wawazat wrote:

Like JLaw, I'm over it. If the finish is the top of the jump, then the AMA got it wrong. If theyare going with the base of the jump they got it right. Anyone expecting the AMA to release anything related to the finish, is living in dreamland.

Being "over it" is exactly what they want. And the media wil probably be "over it" as well.

We, as fans, should demand more from the sanctioning body and the media that reports on the sport that we all love. It is very sad that this has not been run to ground. Imagine if the moto media was in charge during the Nixon presidency.

|

2/24/2012 11:25 AM

Paul333 wrote:

Why would the AMA care if Peick or Faith won?

I'm not seeing the AMA connection to either of them.

Can someone explain or is this a joke and I'm too thick to get it? LOL

Because Faith was a fill in rider for a big name, Geico Honda, and they want to keep the big guys happy?

|

2/24/2012 11:28 AM

It would be nice to know where they consider the "real" finish line to actually be. Was the visual they used from the bottom of the jump or the top?????

|

2/24/2012 1:21 PM

I read the first page thinking this was real.....and while reading, in my head I start to think to myself, "I cant believe these idiots actually wrote a clarification-press release" and "I cant believe it took a week for them to come up with this bullshit"

Then the joke started to sink in. Well written. You had me for a few sentences.

How the AMA lives with themselves I have no idea.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

2/24/2012 1:32 PM

It's an FIM series, is it not?

|

2/24/2012 1:48 PM

|

2/24/2012 1:52 PM

they should simply move the finish line off the lame jump anyways....be better if 2 or 3 guys were side by side goin balls out down a sweeper or something

|

2/24/2012 2:01 PM

did it happen Tortelli at the "Larocco Leap Track" he ran out of gas pushed up the face of the jump but not the finish line ?

|

2/24/2012 4:34 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

And if/when something great happens it will go back to being an AMA series right?

|

2/24/2012 6:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2012 6:07 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Trauma wrote:

And if/when something great happens it will go back to being an AMA series right?

No. It'll still be an FIM series. They're the top dog, right? Didn't John Gallagher make the call?

|

2/25/2012 10:21 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Trauma wrote:

FreshTopEnd wrote:

No. It'll still be an FIM series. They're the top dog, right? Didn't John Gallagher make the call?

He did. And was he at the finish line?

|

"Blind faith in a god is a poor substitute for logic and reason."

2/25/2012 10:40 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Trauma wrote:

FreshTopEnd wrote:

No, apparently John was just backing up what he was told...

|

If only those who knew less didn't always think they knew better.