AMA and Malcolm Stewart's killswitch

Edited Date/Time 3/14/2016 1:49pm
I thought the AMA rule book said you must have a working killswitch. Then on TV they said his people cut his and sent him out on the track. Am I just crazy or will we hear about this later.
|
JoJmoto
3/13/2016 6:27am
maybe that for the initial race ready bike but racing incidents, you do what you can to finish.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/13/2016 8:12am
I thought the AMA rule book said you must have a working killswitch. Then on TV they said his people cut his and sent him out...
I thought the AMA rule book said you must have a working killswitch. Then on TV they said his people cut his and sent him out on the track. Am I just crazy or will we hear about this later.
The team could argue that the switch was damaged and causing the bike to shut off, making it a safety hazard.
EastFlorida
3/13/2016 8:56am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2016 8:57am
I thought the AMA rule book said you must have a working killswitch. Then on TV they said his people cut his and sent him out...
ML512 wrote:
The team could argue that the switch was damaged and causing the bike to shut off, making it a safety hazard.
The AMA would argue that if the bike was unsafe, then they shouldn't continue. Imagine had Mookie gone down and the bike was pegged wide open with no way to shut it down?

You saw after the 250 race that Hill laid his bike down and both he and his mechanic reached for the kill switch because it was running high RPMs...

Racing w/o a kill switch is potentially extremely dangerous... If the AMA knew about it, they should've black flagged him...
3/13/2016 9:01am
You also must have goggles and balls on the end of your lever when the race STARTS after the gate drops anything goes. If the gate drops???

The Shop

3/13/2016 9:02am
Comes down to interpretation I guess. I would say if it was a racing incident that caused it to be cut then it's fair to finish the race, if it was intentionally cut its a black flag job, at least it wasn't a safety issue like denim jeans...
Julian
3/13/2016 9:18am
that sounds like a VERY OLD situation

and I would say there is a clear rule governing this

and that it is simply a matter of reading the rule that covers this.

then we will know if he should have been red flagged or not
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/13/2016 10:04am
1.11 Handlebars and Controls
a. Cracked or broken handlebars are prohibited.
b. Control levers must have minimum 1/2-inch diameter ball ends.
c. All motorcycles must be equipped with a functional mechanical
engine kill device or ignition cut-off switch or button, mounted
on the handlebar within reach of the rider’s hand when placed
on the grip.
d. All motorcycles must be equipped with a self-closing throttle
mechanism.

1,17 Rider Apparel
g. Face shields or Goggles must be shatter resistant. Goggles
must be worn at the start of each event.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
3/13/2016 10:37am
Berm wrote:
1.11 Handlebars and Controls a. Cracked or broken handlebars are prohibited. b. Control levers must have minimum 1/2-inch diameter ball ends. c. All motorcycles must be...
1.11 Handlebars and Controls
a. Cracked or broken handlebars are prohibited.
b. Control levers must have minimum 1/2-inch diameter ball ends.
c. All motorcycles must be equipped with a functional mechanical
engine kill device or ignition cut-off switch or button, mounted
on the handlebar within reach of the rider’s hand when placed
on the grip.
d. All motorcycles must be equipped with a self-closing throttle
mechanism.

1,17 Rider Apparel
g. Face shields or Goggles must be shatter resistant. Goggles
must be worn at the start of each event.
You could argue the clutch is a mechanical kill device
Olson
3/13/2016 10:40am
You also need to have a working front and rear brake, but how many times haven't we seen riders pull in to the pits and have the cable cut?
Julian
3/13/2016 10:56am
Olson wrote:
You also need to have a working front and rear brake, but how many times haven't we seen riders pull in to the pits and have...
You also need to have a working front and rear brake, but how many times haven't we seen riders pull in to the pits and have the cable cut?
good point.

if the rule states that a bike must FINISH the race with a functioning kill switch

then he should have been black flagged

if rule book says s bike must START race with functioning kill switch

then we have nothing to discuss
PJ205
3/13/2016 11:00am
LOL I love Vital.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/13/2016 11:05am
I wonder how many of you complaining about this would also be up in arms if Malcolm had been black flagged.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/13/2016 11:12am
GuyB wrote:
I wonder how many of you complaining about this would also be up in arms if Malcolm had been black flagged.
Eight threads, minimum.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/13/2016 11:17am
GuyB wrote:
bob567
3/13/2016 11:19am
Why is this even a topic? Do you guys even race?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/13/2016 12:18pm
bob567 wrote:
Best answer so far.

Did it work before the start of the race? Then it's not a problem. Same goes for clipping brake lines.
IceMan446
3/13/2016 12:27pm
The AMA would argue that if the bike was unsafe, then they shouldn't continue. Imagine had Mookie gone down and the bike was pegged wide open...
The AMA would argue that if the bike was unsafe, then they shouldn't continue. Imagine had Mookie gone down and the bike was pegged wide open with no way to shut it down?

You saw after the 250 race that Hill laid his bike down and both he and his mechanic reached for the kill switch because it was running high RPMs...

Racing w/o a kill switch is potentially extremely dangerous... If the AMA knew about it, they should've black flagged him...
Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Nothing happened and its not the first or the last time that will happen.

3/13/2016 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2016 12:30pm
GuyB wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Eight threads, minimum.
I don't really read any "complaining" personally so far in this thread. I see a legitimate question being asked, however my opinion is that this is really a non-issue, but as a sometimes race director I am very curious if the AMA views this differently.
3/13/2016 1:11pm
bob567 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Best answer so far.

Did it work before the start of the race? Then it's not a problem. Same goes for clipping brake lines.
I don't think it is such a bad question. I wondered my self what the rules are. Certainly the rule could be written either way, starting the race or finishing the race. If you don't have a rule book or have it memorized how would you know how the rule is written.

Try not to be so cool with the criticism of others.
While it is a different discipline if you are on track racing speedway with a kill switch that is not functional it is an automatic disqualification
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/13/2016 1:30pm
I don't think it is such a bad question. I wondered my self what the rules are. Certainly the rule could be written either way, starting...
I don't think it is such a bad question. I wondered my self what the rules are. Certainly the rule could be written either way, starting the race or finishing the race. If you don't have a rule book or have it memorized how would you know how the rule is written.

While it is a different discipline if you are on track racing speedway with a kill switch that is not functional it is an automatic disqualification
it takes less than 2 minutes to look the rulebook up with google and find the relevant passage. They are criticizing jumping to conclusions while knowingly admitting you don't know the rules.
Feint
3/13/2016 1:51pm
I don't think it is such a bad question. I wondered my self what the rules are. Certainly the rule could be written either way, starting...

Berm wrote:
it takes less than 2 minutes to look the rulebook up with google and find the relevant passage. They are criticizing jumping to conclusions while knowingly...
it takes less than 2 minutes to look the rulebook up with google and find the relevant passage. They are criticizing jumping to conclusions while knowingly admitting you don't know the rules.
And according to the rule book, the bikes must have a functioning kill switch. If it was only intended to be at the start of the race that would be explicitly stated like it is in the rule for goggles.
kongols
3/13/2016 1:53pm
Finally Malcolm a threat to a title since so many threads suggesting he did something wrong. I guess he made it.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
3/13/2016 2:07pm
Ban him for life ! I am
Scared to even ride anymore knowing Malcom could have a cut kill switch . What if rudolfs nose didn't shine so brite would we cancel Christmas
3/13/2016 2:19pm

Berm wrote:
it takes less than 2 minutes to look the rulebook up with google and find the relevant passage. They are criticizing jumping to conclusions while knowingly...
Feint wrote:
And according to the rule book, the bikes must have a functioning kill switch. If it was only intended to be at the start of the...
And according to the rule book, the bikes must have a functioning kill switch. If it was only intended to be at the start of the race that would be explicitly stated like it is in the rule for goggles.
Who is jumping to conclusions? Nobody really. That is what is starting to bother me about the thread that we have some high and mighties come on and start ragging on asking the question. I agree when you read the rulebook it can lead to some questions but I think we all know this is probably okay as.the rule book also says you must have three numberplates also but we see those fall off and nothing comes of it after the race starts. The "mechanical kill device" is a safety rule and does it fit in the same as a number plate falling off? I mean logically I think we all get it but Jesus, can't we ask a question on here? Maybe Boglesleg and those youngsters really do have us figured out LOL.
Getndome
3/13/2016 3:42pm
If anyone down on that track can't figure out how to stall a bike without a functioning kill switch then they don't belong down there.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/13/2016 4:05pm
Getndome wrote:
If anyone down on that track can't figure out how to stall a bike without a functioning kill switch then they don't belong down there.
just curious, how do you kill a crashed bike that runs a rekluse without a kill switch?
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
3/13/2016 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2016 4:12pm
Getndome wrote:
Berm wrote:
just curious, how do you kill a crashed bike that runs a rekluse without a kill switch?
Not a problem to leave it running if it's got a rekluse. But none the less, you could pull the spark plug boot (and risk getting shocked), if a KTM pull the airbox cover and stick a bag over the air filter, pull the connector off the fuel injector.

Could probably pull the connector off the TPS and chop the throttle as well.
hvaughn88
3/13/2016 4:13pm
Getndome wrote:
Berm wrote:
Obviously you would stick your hand into the spokes of the spinning wheel. Everyone knows that

Post a reply to: AMA and Malcolm Stewart's killswitch

The Latest