AMA and MXGP track prep

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2021 3:06pm
Can’t disagree with how good the racing has been!

|
Cortami79
7/1/2021 3:31am
Nicholls has stated multiple times during his career how much track prep changes affected good racing. Last few years of his GP Career (especially once he had to ride 450s) he was pretty vocal about it. He is right though, we were spoiled with excellent races the past few weeks
yak651
Fantasy
214th
7/1/2021 5:21am
This week should be the test. You know Red Bud will be tilled deep and watered so we will see if it's the level of competition or the track prep. I like the non slot car racing the last couple weeks but pretty confident Red Bud will be slot car from the ski jump to mazda turn...
Bearuno
7/1/2021 5:49am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2021 5:51am
Cortami79 wrote:
Nicholls has stated multiple times during his career how much track prep changes affected good racing. Last few years of his GP Career (especially once he...
Nicholls has stated multiple times during his career how much track prep changes affected good racing. Last few years of his GP Career (especially once he had to ride 450s) he was pretty vocal about it. He is right though, we were spoiled with excellent races the past few weeks
Are you talking about Kurt Nicholls? I'm not aware of another Nicholls - well, other than his Dad, who was a GP rider, too. There is, of course the US Nicholls / Nichols, but he's still on 250s.

Kurt's last full year in GPs was 1997, and the previous years to that he had gone from 500s to the 250 GPs.

He rode a 500, I think for GB at the MXDN in 99, but he never rode 450s in his GP/ Professional career.

Sure, he won US Supermoto Championships, US Endurocross Champions and Vet "California World Championships" , a few on 450s, but not during his Professional career.

I guess they could be comments he made from the perspective of being KTMs MX manager in Europe, then the US.
38special
7/1/2021 5:59am
yak651 wrote:
This week should be the test. You know Red Bud will be tilled deep and watered so we will see if it's the level of competition...
This week should be the test. You know Red Bud will be tilled deep and watered so we will see if it's the level of competition or the track prep. I like the non slot car racing the last couple weeks but pretty confident Red Bud will be slot car from the ski jump to mazda turn...
Yup, we have Red Bud to thank for starting the whole overprep craze. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this year's track is any different than years' past.

The Shop

Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
7/1/2021 6:59am
Cortami79 wrote:
Nicholls has stated multiple times during his career how much track prep changes affected good racing. Last few years of his GP Career (especially once he...
Bearuno wrote:
Are you talking about Kurt Nicholls? I'm not aware of another Nicholls - well, other than his Dad, who was a GP rider, too. There is...
Are you talking about Kurt Nicholls? I'm not aware of another Nicholls - well, other than his Dad, who was a GP rider, too. There is, of course the US Nicholls / Nichols, but he's still on 250s.

Kurt's last full year in GPs was 1997, and the previous years to that he had gone from 500s to the 250 GPs.

He rode a 500, I think for GB at the MXDN in 99, but he never rode 450s in his GP/ Professional career.

Sure, he won US Supermoto Championships, US Endurocross Champions and Vet "California World Championships" , a few on 450s, but not during his Professional career.

I guess they could be comments he made from the perspective of being KTMs MX manager in Europe, then the US.
I am assuming hes talking about Jake Nicholls, the one OP took a screen shot of and posted in here.
Sideways
7/1/2021 7:17am
Cortami79 wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
Are you talking about Kurt Nicholls? I'm not aware of another Nicholls - well, other than his Dad, who was a GP rider, too. There is...

Are you serious?
7/1/2021 7:21am
Cortami79 wrote:
Bearuno wrote:

Kurt's son who raced MXGP I believe
Cortami79
7/1/2021 8:34am
Yep, Jake Nicholls. He had some really good seasons when he raced for JM racing on the KTM in the MX2 class. Even got some podiums and a top5 overall in the championship if I remember correctly
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2816th
7/1/2021 8:46am
Kurt's son who raced MXGP I believe
Jake & Kurt are not related, the clue is in their surname’s, they’re spelt different.
Well don't I look silly
Did you just...admit you were wrong....on vital? I didn't know that was allowed here.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
671st
7/1/2021 8:49am
Track prep and layout seem to be a crapshoot. Folks that are experienced at both regularly produce something that is unintended, good or bad.

Bad prep/dusty/muddy sometimes lead to great racing. Awesome prep sometimes leads to follow the leader/ slot car/ rut-o-cross.

Even the jewel of the US MX series, Red Bud, has folks that feel it was better with less sand in the 90's.
cesar_rc4
7/1/2021 8:52am
Cortami79 wrote:
Yep, Jake Nicholls. He had some really good seasons when he raced for JM racing on the KTM in the MX2 class. Even got some podiums...
Yep, Jake Nicholls. He had some really good seasons when he raced for JM racing on the KTM in the MX2 class. Even got some podiums and a top5 overall in the championship if I remember correctly
Yes, on a ktm satellite and he spoke pretty open of the bike he had and the diferent kind of power to the factorys ktm.
philG
7/1/2021 11:50am
Cortami79 wrote:
Bearuno wrote:

No , he isnt.

Jake Nicjholls , rode GP's from 2010 ish to maybe 2018.. Good MX2 rider, solid performer, got spannered at Trentino i think when they fucked the track through watering it to death, if i remember correctly.

He is right of course, although i have been saying it for ages, its good to see a rider agreeing that its about ENTERTAINMENT and a fucking rutfest ever week is a waste

There is a reason Flat Track is awesome, , becasue they race each other not the track.

Lets hope Red Bud took note.
MX/SX Fan
7/1/2021 1:35pm
I was in South Bend Monday through Wednesday and it rained every day. Forecast is good from here on out but there is a lot of water in the soil right now.

Will be interesting how the track turns out.
motomike137
7/1/2021 7:47pm
yak651 wrote:
This week should be the test. You know Red Bud will be tilled deep and watered so we will see if it's the level of competition...
Man I would give anything to see them chill the heck out with churning and drenching the soil but I don't think it will happen. I'll be there either way screaming REEEDDDDDDDD BUUUDDDDDDDDD!!!!!! at the top of my lungs lol.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/1/2021 7:48pm
38special wrote:
Yup, we have Red Bud to thank for starting the whole overprep craze. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this year's track is any different than years'...
Yup, we have Red Bud to thank for starting the whole overprep craze. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this year's track is any different than years' past.
Tilling it deep again it looks like.

SCC
7/2/2021 4:08am
Really bummed to see that pic above. Churned and watered 18" deep. Maybe they plan on rolling it after?

Hopefully there is a ton of passing and entire 450 class finishes on the same lap like the last MXGP.

SCC
7/2/2021 2:28pm
Looks like Red Bud is nfg on less prep/watering even though it has been proven it provides better racing. What are your thoughts?
yz133rider
7/2/2021 3:06pm
SCC wrote:
Looks like Red Bud is nfg on less prep/watering even though it has been proven it provides better racing. What are your thoughts?
Red bud has had plenty of epic racing over the years. The formula there works as well.
SCC
7/2/2021 3:30pm
Wish them the best but passes per lap and all riders finishing on the same lap is the gauge of track prep. Doubt shit loads of ruts helps that cause.
chump6784
7/3/2021 1:00am
If the racing is lacking compared to the last few rounds due to track prep then the riders and media should call it out.
What I find strange is that last year I read on vital that deep mx tracks are what the real outdoors is all about and are what separates the average riders from the top riders. Now we get tracks that aren't slot car tracks and all of a sudden vital is all on board the minimal prep train

Post a reply to: AMA and MXGP track prep

The Latest