AMA Districts

mx900
Fantasy
1018th
Edited Date/Time 4/23/2019 4:42am
With all the talk of riding areas closing and the number of riders going down I had a few thoughts on the subject. In my area we still have a strong AMA District which I feel is a good thing as a number of the districts have gone away.
Guess my question is with the loss of riders and areas to ride what can the districts do to help this?
Again I Support my district and feel what they provide us is a points system and championship, A schedule of events to attend with out tracks running on top of each other, a great magazine of their events and help keep the rules of the classes and bikes clear. All very important.

In our district the tracks are required to ask for the rider's district card. Its my understanding that if the rider lives in the district area then they are required to have one in order to compete. So If you show up to race you must buy a district card or a at least a short term to race along with AMA membership. Point is you must have a District card to race. I am fine with that along with the AMA card. We need as many riders as we can to get a strong and lasting district.
So back to the decline of riders and tracks. Being you have to have the card to race is it not like a union closed shop in fact? Question is who does the District represent? The tracks? The district its self? the riders? Before I catch heat for this I understand the district has expenses and uses money for awards so that is a non issue for me.
The problem is what do they do to address the decline in tracks and riders? Or what can they do? Because I feel they have the control to help out this subject but I feel they don't.

I have a couple of examples: I came across a track that was in our district but was not a district member and track. They ran one race a year as part of a series that operated out of the district. I contacted our district about them contacting the track about becoming a district track. I felt this would be a great location and would grow riders and district members. The reply in short was the district does not seek out new tracks and if they wanted to apply and come to the district meeting (which I understand is only held once a year) then they could see if the district will approve of the track? This is not their only guide line making it a problem for tracks to get in. Why would a district not seek new tracks that are already in operation?

Second example is we have a track that sits unused. Upfront I understand there has been issues with the track owner and district. So i'm sure both have sides to the story and I don't care who wins a fight because the real loser in the fight is the riders. Another issue with this track is part of the land is paid for by a state grant and the board for the state has a rep from the district. But its my understanding they approve of the land being used for a hare scrambles but not motocross? I understand the issue that other tracks had to buy their land etc. I do know that there are states that have races on full state land like finger lakes state park in Missouri. Do other tracks have a issue with this? No. In fact they are a part of series with other tracks. With a rep on the board why would they not push for motocross to be allowed? The riders again are not in this fight and are the ones who lose!!! I and others have asked District board members what would be a way to get motocross back in the area at this track? We suggested that we could have a group of guys that are all on board lease the track and take the owner out of the operation that deals with the district. But every time someone brings it up the district has reasons the ideas won't work.

So again who does the district represent? The AMA sure looks to be fighting for the rights of riders and looking into laws etc that would keep us from the sport we all love . Maybe I don't see the big picture but what I do see: When tracks in areas other than the ones we already have host races it increases district membership, it increases racers at the other tracks, it provides the motorcycle dealers a much better chance to sell a bike and parts. In fact it helps our sport grow in a time it's going the other way.
Again I support the district but do believe they need to help find solutions to get more riders no matter what it is. I am sure I will catch heat from this because you do every time someone says anything about the district. And yes I would be glad to go to a meeting with the district to see how the change the trend and I am not alone in this as bike reps, shop owners, reps for motorcycle supply companies and of course riders want a track back in the area.
Most of all we love our sport and want to see as many tracks and riding areas as possible.
|
JustMX
4/21/2019 4:47pm
If you think all districts, or promoting groups are a big happy family wanting to do what is best for the sport you are incredibly naive.

I have seen some blackball a track for nothing more than giving some district rep a bad parking spot.

Another problem is tracks that have been doing it a long time but don't put much effort into their events and/or are unwilling to change with the times often have more sway in the district and can make things hard for someone they feel is rocking the boat or doing something to make them look bad.

On the other hand I have seen a lot of newcomers to the game that really thought they had all the answers and learned some hard and expensive lessons.

Racing is a lot more of a cutthroat business than most might think. The reality of running events when, like it or not, the industry is shrinking is not going to help.
mx900
Fantasy
1018th
4/21/2019 5:02pm
Thank you for your comment. I am not naive and there are politics and power struggles in everything. I just think its sad that the people who claim to make our sport better are in fact standing in the way. again the riders are the ones who suffer.
4/21/2019 5:21pm
Someone post up a success story of the AMA keeping a riding area open on a long term basis.

I'll wait.

In the meantime, think about how they have handled pretty much any issue since the 60's.

Just for giggles, google the Russ March debacle.

wardy
4/21/2019 6:37pm
mx900 wrote:
Thank you for your comment. I am not naive and there are politics and power struggles in everything. I just think its sad that the people...
Thank you for your comment. I am not naive and there are politics and power struggles in everything. I just think its sad that the people who claim to make our sport better are in fact standing in the way. again the riders are the ones who suffer.
I would like to know who is standing in the way. I had a long reply but your assumptions and accusations are so many that I decided not to post it.

maybe talking to the people you are accusing in real life instead of a post board would work?

not sure but might get some light shined on all this stuff you are posting.

you know my number I will gladly discuss any of this with you.

The Shop

mx900
Fantasy
1018th
4/21/2019 7:45pm
Then you can answer the question I have of who does the District represent?
Fact is i have contacted you about these things and others and every time I get a smart comment and a history lesson on how great the district is.

wardy
4/21/2019 7:55pm
AMA District 17 Club Council Inc.

founded in 1974. In fact go to the web site, it has a mission statement, and many other things.
It's easy to find. It's in the rule book.

nothing "smart" about it. and "history" well it's what is done. No big secrets, no big conspiracy. Meetings are open. ANY track/ club is welcome to join. Very simply guidelines based on AMA and District rules which are voted in by the Clubs and Promoters. But since you have spoke to me about this, you already know all this.

like i said before, you post up 5 paragraphs of "i support the district" and in the same breath accuse the district of all these things that simply are not true or not as you depict.

so what's the agenda? and you know who i am, i have no clue who you are.

mx900
Fantasy
1018th
4/22/2019 2:32pm
I will give you a call later this week. Fact is i do support the district my wife and I have singed up a number of riders. As info the information I used in this was from emails and conversations I have had with you. My point to this post was to get some feed back from others with out naming the district .
4/22/2019 3:30pm
Money.
I grew up racing and has been the only passion I have ever known but it sucks when your rich ass dad gives you an unrealistically expensive hobby growing up.
I mkae 50-60k a year living in Austin near downtown and I barely cover my cost of living to make ends meet.
It's all I think about everyday I bust my ass to try make more money but it's never enough and I cant even comprehend how I will ever get back into moto. It sucks and I bet there are many people like me.

It doesn't help I dont have any moto friends but even if i got a decent priced 125 or used 450, shit even the RMZ's that are cheap as hell I couldnt afford it. Maybe if I was dumb enough to finance a truck and a bike I could pull it off, but no matter how much I love it I know its just irresponsible to finance a hobby that wont have any return... THat's why the sport is dying the average income isnt enough.
sandman768
4/22/2019 3:53pm
As a lifetime ama member I can say. they have never done a thing for anyone or anything in my area, but thanks for not mailing me that half ass magazine with all the fat guys riding gold wings to somewhere I don’t want to go...
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/22/2019 4:44pm
sandman768 wrote:
As a lifetime ama member I can say. they have never done a thing for anyone or anything in my area, but thanks for not mailing...
As a lifetime ama member I can say. they have never done a thing for anyone or anything in my area, but thanks for not mailing me that half ass magazine with all the fat guys riding gold wings to somewhere I don’t want to go...
Life member here also, forgot I haven't received that magazine for a while. We should get paid a dividend each year for the money they save on us!!

As far as districts, they have their place, but not sure how much they are helping grow the sport. Don't think I have ever seen a district advertisement at local shops, how are they making people aware of the opportunities out there? Do they rely on veteran racers to spread the word and bring in newcomers?
District "points chasers" seem to be just a handful of people. People win the "championship" or place top 5 by going to 7 races out of 25 or so total. Seems to be a hollow accomplishment, what is the district doing to make it worth the thousands of dollars to chase the points? Used to give jackets now they give a sweatshirt??
Why not advertise/offer a one day membership for people that want to try out racing or for those that just want to hit up one race a year to see old friends? Why not try some different race orders to give people more bang for their buck? Why do they allow races at 2 different tracks in the same state on the same weekend? Why allow tracks to have double header point races, have they done a survey to show that a majority of card holders have both weekend days available to race? Are these some of the reasons you have people with a couple hundred point lead over 2nd and 3rd?
Anyhow, I know it's all volunteers and it's easier said than done, but been around this for over 40 years and only thing I've seen change is the price of a district card and the quality of awards going down (I realize inflation, don't beat me up too bad, just my 2 cents).
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/22/2019 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2019 4:54pm
mx900 wrote:
With all the talk of riding areas closing and the number of riders going down I had a few thoughts on the subject. In my area...
With all the talk of riding areas closing and the number of riders going down I had a few thoughts on the subject. In my area we still have a strong AMA District which I feel is a good thing as a number of the districts have gone away.
Guess my question is with the loss of riders and areas to ride what can the districts do to help this?
Again I Support my district and feel what they provide us is a points system and championship, A schedule of events to attend with out tracks running on top of each other, a great magazine of their events and help keep the rules of the classes and bikes clear. All very important.

In our district the tracks are required to ask for the rider's district card. Its my understanding that if the rider lives in the district area then they are required to have one in order to compete. So If you show up to race you must buy a district card or a at least a short term to race along with AMA membership. Point is you must have a District card to race. I am fine with that along with the AMA card. We need as many riders as we can to get a strong and lasting district.
So back to the decline of riders and tracks. Being you have to have the card to race is it not like a union closed shop in fact? Question is who does the District represent? The tracks? The district its self? the riders? Before I catch heat for this I understand the district has expenses and uses money for awards so that is a non issue for me.
The problem is what do they do to address the decline in tracks and riders? Or what can they do? Because I feel they have the control to help out this subject but I feel they don't.

I have a couple of examples: I came across a track that was in our district but was not a district member and track. They ran one race a year as part of a series that operated out of the district. I contacted our district about them contacting the track about becoming a district track. I felt this would be a great location and would grow riders and district members. The reply in short was the district does not seek out new tracks and if they wanted to apply and come to the district meeting (which I understand is only held once a year) then they could see if the district will approve of the track? This is not their only guide line making it a problem for tracks to get in. Why would a district not seek new tracks that are already in operation?

Second example is we have a track that sits unused. Upfront I understand there has been issues with the track owner and district. So i'm sure both have sides to the story and I don't care who wins a fight because the real loser in the fight is the riders. Another issue with this track is part of the land is paid for by a state grant and the board for the state has a rep from the district. But its my understanding they approve of the land being used for a hare scrambles but not motocross? I understand the issue that other tracks had to buy their land etc. I do know that there are states that have races on full state land like finger lakes state park in Missouri. Do other tracks have a issue with this? No. In fact they are a part of series with other tracks. With a rep on the board why would they not push for motocross to be allowed? The riders again are not in this fight and are the ones who lose!!! I and others have asked District board members what would be a way to get motocross back in the area at this track? We suggested that we could have a group of guys that are all on board lease the track and take the owner out of the operation that deals with the district. But every time someone brings it up the district has reasons the ideas won't work.

So again who does the district represent? The AMA sure looks to be fighting for the rights of riders and looking into laws etc that would keep us from the sport we all love . Maybe I don't see the big picture but what I do see: When tracks in areas other than the ones we already have host races it increases district membership, it increases racers at the other tracks, it provides the motorcycle dealers a much better chance to sell a bike and parts. In fact it helps our sport grow in a time it's going the other way.
Again I support the district but do believe they need to help find solutions to get more riders no matter what it is. I am sure I will catch heat from this because you do every time someone says anything about the district. And yes I would be glad to go to a meeting with the district to see how the change the trend and I am not alone in this as bike reps, shop owners, reps for motorcycle supply companies and of course riders want a track back in the area.
Most of all we love our sport and want to see as many tracks and riding areas as possible.
I would say AMA Districts are an attempt to represent riders. Each District runs independently of each other, but within the rules of AMA. Different Districts probably have different goals. The main goal is general to promote/sanction motorcycle races.

I have been involved with District 37 for many years. It is mainly about off road racing, and doesn't get much involved with motocross. But it has raised a lot of money over the years in an attempt to preserve open riding areas. They have had a little success in preserving riding areas, but it is a very tough battle - generally challenging the government for those riding areas.
motogrady
4/22/2019 5:22pm
mx900 wrote:
Then you can answer the question I have of who does the District represent? Fact is i have contacted you about these things and others and...
Then you can answer the question I have of who does the District represent?
Fact is i have contacted you about these things and others and every time I get a smart comment and a history lesson on how great the district is.

The district represents the people who want to get involved in motorcycle racing in their local area.
I think there are 37 of them.
I know Maryland and Deleware are dist 7. A lot of Pennsylvania is dist 6. West Virginia dist 5.
California I think is dist 37.

I know they are more important than a lot believe.

Heck, they used to elect the guys that run the AMA.
But the current President, Dingman changed that.

I don't think it's the districts job to really promote.

RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/22/2019 5:35pm
motogrady wrote:
The district represents the people who want to get involved in motorcycle racing in their local area. I think there are 37 of them. I know...
The district represents the people who want to get involved in motorcycle racing in their local area.
I know Maryland and Deleware are dist 7. A lot of Pennsylvania is dist 6. West Virginia dist 5.

There are 44 named Districts, but I don't think they are all active:

motogrady
4/22/2019 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2019 6:32pm
motogrady wrote:
The district represents the people who want to get involved in motorcycle racing in their local area. I think there are 37 of them. I know...

RichieW13 wrote:
There are 44 named Districts, but I don't think they are all active: [img]https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Portals/3/EasyDNNNews/thumbs/390/19822014_district_map_web.sflb.gif[/img]
There are 44 named Districts, but I don't think they are all active:

There you go. Thanks Richie.
It's always kinda been up to the race promoters to,
well, promote.
It's always been up to the AMA district to referee, rule and record. They validate the event. When you see the AMA logo on a tracks flier, you know the fastest guys in your area will usually be at that event. And if it's a district points event, the fastest guys for sure are gonna be there. They are looking to advance, or winning a plate. To be known as the fastest guy in the area. Or should be if they aren't sand bagging.
How guys keep running c class is beyond me. You're supposed to point out and move up at something like 60 points. But like it's been mentioned, sandbaggers seem to like and do it all the time.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/22/2019 7:10pm
motogrady wrote:
There you go. Thanks Richie. It's always kinda been up to the race promoters to, well, promote. It's always been up to the AMA district to...
There you go. Thanks Richie.
It's always kinda been up to the race promoters to,
well, promote.
It's always been up to the AMA district to referee, rule and record. They validate the event. When you see the AMA logo on a tracks flier, you know the fastest guys in your area will usually be at that event. And if it's a district points event, the fastest guys for sure are gonna be there. They are looking to advance, or winning a plate. To be known as the fastest guy in the area. Or should be if they aren't sand bagging.
How guys keep running c class is beyond me. You're supposed to point out and move up at something like 60 points. But like it's been mentioned, sandbaggers seem to like and do it all the time.
"How guys keep running c class is beyond me"
So wouldn't that mean the district isn't doing their job? Our district used to have a bump up list of C to B and B to A. They may still be moving people up but they haven't posted an advancement list since 2009.
motogrady
4/22/2019 10:26pm
Well then guys, somebody isn't doing something they should be doing.

zippytech
4/23/2019 4:42am
Money. I grew up racing and has been the only passion I have ever known but it sucks when your rich ass dad gives you an...
Money.
I grew up racing and has been the only passion I have ever known but it sucks when your rich ass dad gives you an unrealistically expensive hobby growing up.
I mkae 50-60k a year living in Austin near downtown and I barely cover my cost of living to make ends meet.
It's all I think about everyday I bust my ass to try make more money but it's never enough and I cant even comprehend how I will ever get back into moto. It sucks and I bet there are many people like me.

It doesn't help I dont have any moto friends but even if i got a decent priced 125 or used 450, shit even the RMZ's that are cheap as hell I couldnt afford it. Maybe if I was dumb enough to finance a truck and a bike I could pull it off, but no matter how much I love it I know its just irresponsible to finance a hobby that wont have any return... THat's why the sport is dying the average income isnt enough.
I am sorry, but if you really are making that much money and cannot afford to ride, you need to change your lifestyle.

Post a reply to: AMA Districts

The Latest