AMA Competition Bulletin 2021-4 - The No-GoPro On Helmets Rule

1/27/2021 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2021 7:35pm
I've just read the AMA's Competition Bulletin 2021-4 which applies to all amateur AMA Racing disciplines and it's not clear to me whether stickers and LitPro velcros (without the LitPro attached) are still permitted. I use a LitPro and will continue to do so while training, but I don't want to have to remove the velcro from the helmet every time I race an AMA event. I get that we can't attach the LitPro or a GoPro but are they outlawing any foreign object, such as stickers and velcros i.e. helmets must be as if straight out of the box? Here's the text of the new rule:

"All helmets must be intact and no modification may be made to their construction that alters the helmet from the condition it was tested and approved. The helmet is made to provide protection and is not a platform to attach foreign objects. For example, cameras or other accessories are NOT permitted to be attached to the rider’s helmet."

Cheers
Simon
|
cw242
1/27/2021 8:19pm
We have been having to adhere to this new rule for the last month here in FL. We are running a fabricated L bracket mounted between the number plate and triple clamp. Camera resides just above the plate forward of the bar pad. Video is ok but the audio is horrendous.....still sorting that out. Another option would be a front fender mount in front of the plate but the view is low and it does somewhat conceal lower portion of the plate. Rule does not apply to Pro License holders.

Craig
EngIceDave
1/28/2021 3:56am
Another 10+ pager
yak651
Fantasy
168th
1/28/2021 5:40am
EngIceDave wrote:
Another 10+ pager
Can we just link to the 10 pager that developed when the rule was first announced??
kb228
1/28/2021 7:13am
I wouldnt consider a sticker or velcro an alteration to the construction of the helmet. They literally have zero effect on anything.

The Shop

TXDirt
1/28/2021 7:41am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2021 7:42am
Helmets are tested without visors. So are visors banned?

How about creating a camera mounting bracket that uses the mounting brackets for the visor?

Still not allowed? I wonder if this is really about safety. Or is just a reaction to needing to do something. Anything. So as to appear you are indeed doing something. When in reality they are doing nothing.

A breakaway bracket for a camera should be allowed. No different then a visor breaking off.
BMc914
1/28/2021 7:56am

Call or mail questions or concerns to the above number or address.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/28/2021 8:38am
To answer the OP's question: I wouldn't try to race Loretta's with so much as a sticker on your helmet. Local AMA race? You're probably fine. Just my guess.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
918th
1/28/2021 10:28am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2021 10:31am
So I have noticed the pros wear them on Saturday nights. I thought they weren't allowed for them either.
cwel11
1/28/2021 10:33am
SKIDLID wrote:
So I have noticed the pros wear them on Saturday nights. I thought they weren't allowed for them either.
This is my biggest problem with this rule. If it’s for crash safety great, but why does holding a pro license exempt you? They crash just like amateurs and in theory should set the example if the AMA really cares.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
1/28/2021 10:42am
SKIDLID wrote:
No, teams and promoters get money from GoPro, so until those contracts end/are renegotiated pros will be "safe" wearing one....
BMc914
1/28/2021 10:42am
The front fender isnt that bad of a spot.

Leeham
Fantasy
3059th
1/28/2021 11:28am
The only way the front fender works is if you have a Hero 7 or newer with the stabilization. Otherwise its ungodly bouncy and hard to watch. My local races arent AMA usually so Idc. I run it during practice where I actually review my stuff
Undersprung
1/28/2021 11:38am
Stickers I'm sure you're good but I could see someone being a dick about velcro if they wanted to be. Like someone said above, local AMA I wouldn't stress.
Forty
1/28/2021 11:45am
When I first saw the GoPro video of JS back in 07 or ? I was stunned. I thought it was the best thing to come along in years!
I've only retained a few videos from the early days of the helmet cameras, a few times I turned it around to record what was going on behind me and have followed buddies around while they were riding/racing so that they could check their craft but anymore it's kind of lame.

I've got a drawer full of cameras and camera stuff that I'll once in awhile mount up for a single track ride MTB but not often.

It is fun watching those from the pro riders, particularly if there is a rider or 2 in the picture, it's really interesting to see how they ride and perform their way around a track.

I remember one in particular where Arvee was behind RD at Washougal for a few laps and it was amazing how good these guys are. You could see RD corner technique and body positioning as he raced and also from RV point of view changing lines and making choices to try to get by. No one picked better lines late in an outdoor race than Arvee.

Once Arvee passed Dungey then it was just a empty track for 20 minutes. Boring!

Brent
1/28/2021 12:22pm
I spoke to Mike from Lit Pro and they are working on a mount for the bike that is more secure than the standard Velcro.

The Lit Pro unit works best when it is mounted with the front of the unit facing towards the sky.
1/28/2021 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2021 12:51pm
Falcon wrote:
To answer the OP's question: I wouldn't try to race Loretta's with so much as a sticker on your helmet. Local AMA race? You're probably fine...
To answer the OP's question: I wouldn't try to race Loretta's with so much as a sticker on your helmet. Local AMA race? You're probably fine. Just my guess.
Thanks. Yeah, that's my guess too. Since LL qualifiers are run locally maybe stickers and a LitPro velco might fly under the radar at those races too?
1/28/2021 12:53pm
Brent wrote:
I spoke to Mike from Lit Pro and they are working on a mount for the bike that is more secure than the standard Velcro. The...
I spoke to Mike from Lit Pro and they are working on a mount for the bike that is more secure than the standard Velcro.

The Lit Pro unit works best when it is mounted with the front of the unit facing towards the sky.
I mounted the LitPro on the front fender, but it seemed to miss a bunch of data and definitely didn't capture the airtime data properly. I texted LitPro support and I'm waiting on a reply - hopefully they can get it working properly cos I'd much rather have it mounted on my bike where I can easily turn it on and off.
BMc914
1/28/2021 2:18pm
Best spot for the skypro GPS that I found is on the upper triple clamp . No issues with getting data. Front fender didn't work went flying off half way around the track.
BMc914
1/28/2021 2:22pm
The gopro on the front fender doesn't cover the number plate to bad. You can still make out the number.
RY9MX
1/28/2021 2:39pm
I had to take the short GoPro mount off my kids helmet at the last HS race. Seems a bit excessive to me that a small stick on mount that sits maybe 1/4” up isn’t allowed.
Brent
1/28/2021 2:45pm
I mounted the LitPro on the front fender, but it seemed to miss a bunch of data and definitely didn't capture the airtime data properly. I...
I mounted the LitPro on the front fender, but it seemed to miss a bunch of data and definitely didn't capture the airtime data properly. I texted LitPro support and I'm waiting on a reply - hopefully they can get it working properly cos I'd much rather have it mounted on my bike where I can easily turn it on and off.
If you are missing data from your first moto of the day, We found that the Lit Pro GPS needs to be turned on at least 10 minutes before you start recording lap times and pointed toward the sky., as it needs few minutes to refresh the GPS satellite locations.

I was always turning mine on just before I did my first motos, and my data was all messed up. All the lap data after that was perfect.
Brent
1/28/2021 2:48pm
RY9MX wrote:
I had to take the short GoPro mount off my kids helmet at the last HS race. Seems a bit excessive to me that a small...
I had to take the short GoPro mount off my kids helmet at the last HS race. Seems a bit excessive to me that a small stick on mount that sits maybe 1/4” up isn’t allowed.
What I was told is that any protrusion or mount can dig into the dirt like a spike during a crash and cause excessive helmet (and neck) rotation.
skypig
1/28/2021 3:13pm
Will I still be allowed to have a GoPro on my helmet when I’m flying my “Wingsuit” between bridge pylons at 300mph, or will it be too dangerous?

(Asking for a friend)

More seriously - my Aeroh comes from the factory with a GoPro mount - so should be allowed (It isn’t at my local races in Australia)
EngIceDave
1/28/2021 3:31pm
SKIDLID wrote:
cwel11 wrote:
This is my biggest problem with this rule. If it’s for crash safety great, but why does holding a pro license exempt you? They crash just...
This is my biggest problem with this rule. If it’s for crash safety great, but why does holding a pro license exempt you? They crash just like amateurs and in theory should set the example if the AMA really cares.
The AMA you use in amateurs is TOTALLY different than the AMA Pro one

They really have nothing to do with each other. Even different owners.
EngIceDave
1/28/2021 3:32pm
Falcon wrote:
To answer the OP's question: I wouldn't try to race Loretta's with so much as a sticker on your helmet. Local AMA race? You're probably fine...
Thanks. Yeah, that's my guess too. Since LL qualifiers are run locally maybe stickers and a LitPro velco might fly under the radar at those races...
Thanks. Yeah, that's my guess too. Since LL qualifiers are run locally maybe stickers and a LitPro velco might fly under the radar at those races too?
I'd say your biggest problem at LL's would be protest or something crazy

Small race, no one will care about a sticker of velcro
yak651
Fantasy
168th
1/28/2021 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2021 3:42pm
Falcon wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, that's my guess too. Since LL qualifiers are run locally maybe stickers and a LitPro velco might fly under the radar at those races...
EngIceDave wrote:

Wait until there is a mud moto and everyone starts protesting the factory amateurs with foam on their helmet
skankhunt69
1/28/2021 3:43pm
cw242 wrote:
We have been having to adhere to this new rule for the last month here in FL. We are running a fabricated L bracket mounted between...
We have been having to adhere to this new rule for the last month here in FL. We are running a fabricated L bracket mounted between the number plate and triple clamp. Camera resides just above the plate forward of the bar pad. Video is ok but the audio is horrendous.....still sorting that out. Another option would be a front fender mount in front of the plate but the view is low and it does somewhat conceal lower portion of the plate. Rule does not apply to Pro License holders.

Craig
Taisioner Windslayer Cover Housing Frame Case for GoPro Hero 5 Hero 6 Hero 7 Black Video Noise Reduction https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB582PB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_E5WCAEF48…

^^This has helped my audio tremendously it’s also pretty cheap!
1/28/2021 3:44pm
Falcon wrote:
EngIceDave wrote:

You’re totally right, Dave. Even in the old fella’s class I’m sure someone would protest to get to go to the ranch.
skankhunt69
1/28/2021 3:49pm
EngIceDave wrote:

You’re totally right, Dave. Even in the old fella’s class I’m sure someone would protest to get to go to the ranch.
I agree with Dave!
That is probably one of the last places I would try to run a mount lol it’s not worth the protest for trying to qualify for Loretta’s I won my area a few years back and got protested for powder coated hubs the guy protesting me said they were self lubricating hubs haha didnt take my win away because they were just stock hubs powder coated. Some people are crazy I wouldn’t risk it trying to make it to the ranch
EngIceDave
1/28/2021 3:52pm
Though I am not sure you can protest safety issues

Post a reply to: AMA Competition Bulletin 2021-4 - The No-GoPro On Helmets Rule

The Latest