ALTA OWNERS: Would you do it again?

AB884
8/23/2018 10:37am
AB884 wrote:
100% happy with the MXR. No issues at all at the track at a local B level. Would definitely recommend to anyone riding mx or off...
100% happy with the MXR. No issues at all at the track at a local B level. Would definitely recommend to anyone riding mx or off road

rutsmash wrote:
Have you hit the uphill triple at ACP yet on it? I ask only because about a year ago I saw a fast kid (also saw...
Have you hit the uphill triple at ACP yet on it? I ask only because about a year ago I saw a fast kid (also saw him riding combustion engine) riding one at ACP and he put a video on YT but he didn't jump the triple. I asked why not and he said he just wasn't comfortable doing it (he caveated that with only had a couple laps on it) but he said he felt it could make it based on how it felt. Since i'm not Travis Pastrana, I need proof it can be done and the reason I ask.
I can understand that it might not have been his bike so he was just taking it for a few laps and didn't want to try anything too out of his comfort zone. I can hit it from the inside every lap in any condition, dry or prepped deep (I normally am in map 4 the whole time) I feel like its just as easy or even easier than on my FC350 since you get such good drive out of corners on the Alta
PRM31
8/23/2018 10:51am
AB884 wrote:
100% happy with the MXR. No issues at all at the track at a local B level. Would definitely recommend to anyone riding mx or off...
100% happy with the MXR. No issues at all at the track at a local B level. Would definitely recommend to anyone riding mx or off road

Indy mxer wrote:
That looks badass! As more get out there it will be cool to see what people do with graphics.
I agree, looks great!

It would be cool if someone made body kits that replicate older classic bikes. Since the shrouds are just there for looks you could make a variety of shapes. Maybe make an early 80s Honda factory bike kit or Mark Barnett Suzuki kit. It's just some plastic.
tacquilano
8/23/2018 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2018 3:29pm
Hell Yeah! I've had my 2018 MXR since early summer. I'm 56, used to race open class 2 strokes back in the 80's & 90's and more recently a 2 stroke KTM 200. This is the best handling bike I've ever owned. At least compared to what I was used to. I was sick of maintenance, mixing gas, air filters, etc. I don't race anymore but go to the local tracks for practice days. I weigh 195 without any gear and map 3 works damn good. Map 4 is an absolute beast. The bike is heavy to put on the stand but feels light on the track. I let a guy ride it at the track last week and the first thing he said was how light it was. His regular ride is a KTM 350. He said he was going to buy one next year.

I will say that it would be great if the battery lasted a little longer. I get three 15 minute sessions on the track. The bike is done and so am I so it works out pretty good for me. I can plug into a 120v outlet at one of the tracks in between rides and that gives me an extra 15 minute ride. I've considered a small 3000 or 4000 watt generator with a 220 outlet but at this point I really don't need it. When I can out ride the battery, i'll buy one. Harbor Freight has one for $330. Not bad. I have no regrets at all about buying the bike. It was expensive but I could afford it. I'm not getting any younger and I can't take $$ with me!

The Alta isn't for everyone but if it fits your profile, you will love it. I let lots of people ride it at the track and they can't believe the power and handling. I gotta say, every time I ride, I can't wait to ride again and that is worth every penny to me.
tacquilano
8/23/2018 3:34pm
tacquilano wrote:
Hell Yeah! I've had my 2018 MXR since early summer. I'm 56, used to race open class 2 strokes back in the 80's & 90's and...
Hell Yeah! I've had my 2018 MXR since early summer. I'm 56, used to race open class 2 strokes back in the 80's & 90's and more recently a 2 stroke KTM 200. This is the best handling bike I've ever owned. At least compared to what I was used to. I was sick of maintenance, mixing gas, air filters, etc. I don't race anymore but go to the local tracks for practice days. I weigh 195 without any gear and map 3 works damn good. Map 4 is an absolute beast. The bike is heavy to put on the stand but feels light on the track. I let a guy ride it at the track last week and the first thing he said was how light it was. His regular ride is a KTM 350. He said he was going to buy one next year.

I will say that it would be great if the battery lasted a little longer. I get three 15 minute sessions on the track. The bike is done and so am I so it works out pretty good for me. I can plug into a 120v outlet at one of the tracks in between rides and that gives me an extra 15 minute ride. I've considered a small 3000 or 4000 watt generator with a 220 outlet but at this point I really don't need it. When I can out ride the battery, i'll buy one. Harbor Freight has one for $330. Not bad. I have no regrets at all about buying the bike. It was expensive but I could afford it. I'm not getting any younger and I can't take $$ with me!

The Alta isn't for everyone but if it fits your profile, you will love it. I let lots of people ride it at the track and they can't believe the power and handling. I gotta say, every time I ride, I can't wait to ride again and that is worth every penny to me.

The Shop

Titan1
8/23/2018 3:38pm
tacquilano wrote:
Hell Yeah! I've had my 2018 MXR since early summer. I'm 56, used to race open class 2 strokes back in the 80's & 90's and...

tacquilano wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/23/282407/s1200_2018_Alta.jpg[/img] Hell Yeah! I've had my 2018 MXR since early summer. I'm 56, used to race open class 2 strokes back in the 80's & 90's...

Come on Alta! Hurry and get that range up to a reasonable distance for off road riding/racing...I want one! But need more than 45 minutes of ride time out a battery...
GODZILLA
8/23/2018 4:01pm
I read everything...
Dare I say I still HATE these things with passion?
Laughing
tacquilano
8/23/2018 5:55pm
GODZILLA wrote:
I read everything...
Laughing
Have you ridden one yet? Some guys don't want to try it because they are afraid they'll like it. Not me saying that. They actually say that! Don't get me wrong, I still love the sound of 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Last year I had a YZ125. Bought it because I love the sound and how light they are. Races wouldn't be the same without the roar of combustion engines. The Alta has it's place. For me, at this stage in my life, it's perfect. Battery could last a little longer though.
8/23/2018 7:44pm
Any of you ALTA guys normally always ride with a finger on the clutch on your gas bikes? I can't fathom riding without a clutch. How did you adapt, or did you not use the clutch much on your previous bike to control power when needed? Mainly talking 450 here where I use the clutch as much to keep the front end down as I do to build power.
8/23/2018 7:47pm
Titan1 wrote:
Come on Alta! Hurry and get that range up to a reasonable distance for off road riding/racing...I want one! But need more than 45 minutes of...
Come on Alta! Hurry and get that range up to a reasonable distance for off road riding/racing...I want one! But need more than 45 minutes of ride time out a battery...
Does anybody know of any significantly better battery technology that will be coming at any point in the future? This Alta battery is state of the art for any electric vehicle. I wonder if they could make a more high performance pack for their private racing efforts. As far as new battery tech, what's next after LiPo, LiFe?
mikec265
8/23/2018 8:27pm
Any of you ALTA guys normally always ride with a finger on the clutch on your gas bikes? I can't fathom riding without a clutch. How...
Any of you ALTA guys normally always ride with a finger on the clutch on your gas bikes? I can't fathom riding without a clutch. How did you adapt, or did you not use the clutch much on your previous bike to control power when needed? Mainly talking 450 here where I use the clutch as much to keep the front end down as I do to build power.
It took me about 5 hours to stop trying to shift or reach for the clutch. At first every time I would brake slide my subconscious was going "good job stalling the bike dumbass. Now clutch it to bump start it". You get used to after a few hours.
I will get a left hand rear brake at some point. An SSS fork conversion will come first.

It's been 11 years since my last race. If I came out of the Spode retirement home a left hand rear brake would be mandatory.
Fog 25
Fantasy
1445th
8/23/2018 8:47pm
GODZILLA wrote:
I read everything...
Laughing
You’re going to hate it more when one comes quietly by you and just don’t get behind it.
8/23/2018 8:49pm
mikec265 wrote:
It took me about 5 hours to stop trying to shift or reach for the clutch. At first every time I would brake slide my subconscious...
It took me about 5 hours to stop trying to shift or reach for the clutch. At first every time I would brake slide my subconscious was going "good job stalling the bike dumbass. Now clutch it to bump start it". You get used to after a few hours.
I will get a left hand rear brake at some point. An SSS fork conversion will come first.

It's been 11 years since my last race. If I came out of the Spode retirement home a left hand rear brake would be mandatory.
Why do you say the hand brake would be necessary? Just for a safety reason if things got a little out of control?
mikec265
8/23/2018 9:13pm
mikec265 wrote:
It took me about 5 hours to stop trying to shift or reach for the clutch. At first every time I would brake slide my subconscious...

Why do you say the hand brake would be necessary? Just for a safety reason if things got a little out of control?
Exactly. I wouldn't want to race with arm pump and no left hand lever. You saw where the new style of no finger on the clutch got Villapoto in the GPs and Roczen this year in SX.
tacquilano
8/24/2018 3:19am
Any of you ALTA guys normally always ride with a finger on the clutch on your gas bikes? I can't fathom riding without a clutch. How...
I always rode with two fingers on the clutch and two fingers on the front brake lever. I adjusted pretty quickly. When I was in WA over the summer for vacation we rode KTMs and it all came back naturally to clutch and shift as if I never rode an Alta before. After we came back I got on the Alta. The switch was seamless. I will say I do have the occasional grab for the clutch in a panic situation like coming into a turn a little out of control. Another problem is slower riders don't hear you coming up on them. Unless they see you, they don't know you're there. However there aren't too many riders slower than me so it's not THAT big of a problem for me.
snydes
8/24/2018 5:53am
Electro21 wrote:
These bikes sound awesome. Good to hear what people who actually own them think. If they are this good now, I can't imagine how much better...
These bikes sound awesome. Good to hear what people who actually own them think. If they are this good now, I can't imagine how much better they will get. I also bet the higher price of them would even out over the long run since there are a lot less replacement parts.

Does anyone know the life expectancy of the battery?
They rate the battery at 1000 charge cycles before a noticeable decrease in range would be realized. Dare I say very few people would ever come close to those kind of hours. Even at half that it would take me close to 10 years at the rate I put hours on a bike in a years time.
DYE
8/24/2018 6:23am
I've always heard that you should let batteries (cell phones, laptops ect.) run all the way down and then charge them to 100%. But I read of Alta owners plugging them up between motos. Does this not hurt the battery life? Asking as a potential owner someday.
snydes
8/24/2018 6:35am
DYE wrote:
I've always heard that you should let batteries (cell phones, laptops ect.) run all the way down and then charge them to 100%. But I read...
I've always heard that you should let batteries (cell phones, laptops ect.) run all the way down and then charge them to 100%. But I read of Alta owners plugging them up between motos. Does this not hurt the battery life? Asking as a potential owner someday.
Thats not exactly true. It would be best practice to NOT run a lithium ion completely down. The software in the bike is supposed to keep the battery in a safe range so when it’s “dead” it’s not really dead anyway. So the short answer is charging between motos is not supposed to be detrimental in any way to the battery.
DYE
8/24/2018 6:45am
DYE wrote:
I've always heard that you should let batteries (cell phones, laptops ect.) run all the way down and then charge them to 100%. But I read...
snydes wrote:
Thats not exactly true. It would be best practice to NOT run a lithium ion completely down. The software in the bike is supposed to keep...
Thats not exactly true. It would be best practice to NOT run a lithium ion completely down. The software in the bike is supposed to keep the battery in a safe range so when it’s “dead” it’s not really dead anyway. So the short answer is charging between motos is not supposed to be detrimental in any way to the battery.
Cool good to know. Thanks
stone881
8/24/2018 6:52am
Titan1 wrote:
Come on Alta! Hurry and get that range up to a reasonable distance for off road riding/racing...I want one! But need more than 45 minutes of...
Does anybody know of any significantly better battery technology that will be coming at any point in the future? This Alta battery is state of the...
Does anybody know of any significantly better battery technology that will be coming at any point in the future? This Alta battery is state of the art for any electric vehicle. I wonder if they could make a more high performance pack for their private racing efforts. As far as new battery tech, what's next after LiPo, LiFe?
Check out the developments with regards to batteries and graphene. It's a game changer, but up to now has just been a bit too expensive to make on an industrial scale.

Graphene is one single layer of carbon and is a super capacitor, meaning it takes a huge charge very quickly, think seconds to charge your phone, but also dumps the juice quickly.

Lamborghini and MIT are working on a concept car the Terzo Millenio that uses graphene in the body, which then functions as energy storage.

https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/brand/innovation-excellence/terzo-mil…

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-43285885
Titan1
8/24/2018 9:06am
Electro21 wrote:
These bikes sound awesome. Good to hear what people who actually own them think. If they are this good now, I can't imagine how much better...
These bikes sound awesome. Good to hear what people who actually own them think. If they are this good now, I can't imagine how much better they will get. I also bet the higher price of them would even out over the long run since there are a lot less replacement parts.

Does anyone know the life expectancy of the battery?
snydes wrote:
They rate the battery at 1000 charge cycles before a noticeable decrease in range would be realized. Dare I say very few people would ever come...
They rate the battery at 1000 charge cycles before a noticeable decrease in range would be realized. Dare I say very few people would ever come close to those kind of hours. Even at half that it would take me close to 10 years at the rate I put hours on a bike in a years time.
The batterly life brings up another interesting point...what about re-sale?

So say you go to sell the bike in 10 years...wouldn't the value of the bike be drastically worse because a new batter is in the very near future?

How much would a replacement battery cost compared to a full motor rebuild on a 450?
snydes
8/24/2018 9:19am
Titan1 wrote:
The batterly life brings up another interesting point...what about re-sale? So say you go to sell the bike in 10 years...wouldn't the value of the bike...
The batterly life brings up another interesting point...what about re-sale?

So say you go to sell the bike in 10 years...wouldn't the value of the bike be drastically worse because a new batter is in the very near future?

How much would a replacement battery cost compared to a full motor rebuild on a 450?
Well that certainly depends. A 10 year old gas bike with hundreds of hours you might have a hard time getting much back out of, so it depends how you look at it. Right now I’m told the Alta battery would set you back $3200, in ten years who knows. There could also be additional battery replacement options at that point if the electric bikes are a common thing. I’m guessing if you had to take a 4t gas bike to the dealer for a full overhaul it would be not far off that mark either, and you might have to have that done multiple times to make the same amount of hours they are claiming the Alta battery would last. If you can maintain your own gas bike 100% that aspect of the Alta might not be as big of a deal for you.
8/24/2018 10:41am
DYE wrote:
Dye, that is old battery logic. The type of batteries used today are not subject to "memory" effects as they used to term it. The only thing that will hurt these types of batteries is over or under volting it. The only way that would happen is if you were able to over charge the battery, but you are not able to do that because there is charging logic on the Alta that prevents over charging. On the flip side, running the battery down to 0% on the display is not actually running the battery to a true 0% in terms of voltage. 0%-100% on the display is actually a precisely defined voltage range of the battery where its safe to operate without any ill effects. All products that use these type of batteries, including all cell phones and most electric vehicles out there today, use this strategy to ensure long battery lifespan.

If you want to read more detailed information about this topic, check out this link:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_li…

Also for these types of batteries, if you expect to have periods of extended non-usage, IE you're storing the bike away for the winter or something, it's best to keep the battery roughly at 50% charge to ensure the longest lifespan of the battery.
Indy mxer
8/24/2018 2:29pm
tacquilano wrote:

tacquilano wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/23/282407/s1200_2018_Alta.jpg[/img] Hell Yeah! I've had my 2018 MXR since early summer. I'm 56, used to race open class 2 strokes back in the 80's & 90's...

Love the look. Nice bike!!
Johnny Depp
8/24/2018 4:22pm
So everyone seems to say the same thing, and it's not about the powerplant!

Best handling bike they've ever rode. Feels light. Who would have thought that?
wacker
8/25/2018 5:23pm
I can't ride a normal bike without a finger on the clutch 100% of the time. That said, I would NEVER, EVER, want an Alta with a clutch for any reason. It works just the way it is..... a clutch would offer no benefit for me.
crowe176
8/25/2018 6:58pm
I rode one last weekend at a demo. They only gave you one lap, but it only took a couple turns to not notice the lack of clutch. I hit everything in that one lap that I'd been hitting on my 350.

One lap initial impressions: Felt top heavy at first when rolling onto track, but after stuffing it into a couple corners, it felt lighter the harder you rode it. I only did the lap in level 3, and totally forgot about level 4. Fun bike, and the torque is unreal coming off a 350. Wish I would have been in level 4 and had more time on it.

gsxr6
8/27/2018 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2018 8:09pm
Off road guys carry a couple extra gallons, so a heavier long range off road model would work.....as well as be suited to supermoto duty if the range is increased. Id bet it's on the way
bsatt69
8/28/2018 9:04pm
I have 20 hours on my 2018 MXR, I think I would do it again. I got the MXR back to ride on property that I have a track, so I could ride as much as I want and not have annoy neighbors.

Here are the positives:

Handles as good as any bike I have ridden, can get an inside corner after jump easier than my 2017 250sx or 350 xcf

Only notice the weight when lifting on the stand.

So easy to hit a jump out of corner, always in perfect gear and never have to shift. The bike just keeps pulling.

Minimal maintenance, lubing a chain and washing is nice.

Can get 35-40 minutes of hard moto in.

The negatives:

1 1/2 hours to charge with the rapid charger. I usually like to ride 3-4 30 minutes motos with about 30-45 minutes between each. I end up riding every other time with the MXR and my 250sx so I don't have to spend a whole day trying to get ride time in.

Max power limited thermal warning- after consecutive ride charge ride sessions max power can be limited from heat build up in battery and electronics. This usually happens on 3rd ride session, but last time happened on the first ride out at end of charge.

Firmware updates and error codes need to be serviced by dealer, with not a lot of dealers around this kind of stinks. I like to do everything myself, now I get to drive it to a dealer 3 hour round trip. Have taken it in twice, once for firmware update so would work with rapid charger and once to replace battery for a service code that came up.

LCD display not configurable, it displays the power level so small it can't be read while riding, there is no trip meter only odometer, hours display only while pressing one of the buttons

For how advanced the bike is I was disappointed with lack of user interface. You can't update firmware yourself or get any information from bike, like firmware version or temperatures.

Bike is so much easier to ride it could make you a lazy rider.

For a new bike they did more things right than wrong, it is an amazing bike to ride. The biggest hindrance is battery technology which you can't really blame them for. I just wish the user interface was more advanced.
snydes
8/29/2018 4:11am
bsatt69 wrote:
I have 20 hours on my 2018 MXR, I think I would do it again. I got the MXR back to ride on property that I...
I have 20 hours on my 2018 MXR, I think I would do it again. I got the MXR back to ride on property that I have a track, so I could ride as much as I want and not have annoy neighbors.

Here are the positives:

Handles as good as any bike I have ridden, can get an inside corner after jump easier than my 2017 250sx or 350 xcf

Only notice the weight when lifting on the stand.

So easy to hit a jump out of corner, always in perfect gear and never have to shift. The bike just keeps pulling.

Minimal maintenance, lubing a chain and washing is nice.

Can get 35-40 minutes of hard moto in.

The negatives:

1 1/2 hours to charge with the rapid charger. I usually like to ride 3-4 30 minutes motos with about 30-45 minutes between each. I end up riding every other time with the MXR and my 250sx so I don't have to spend a whole day trying to get ride time in.

Max power limited thermal warning- after consecutive ride charge ride sessions max power can be limited from heat build up in battery and electronics. This usually happens on 3rd ride session, but last time happened on the first ride out at end of charge.

Firmware updates and error codes need to be serviced by dealer, with not a lot of dealers around this kind of stinks. I like to do everything myself, now I get to drive it to a dealer 3 hour round trip. Have taken it in twice, once for firmware update so would work with rapid charger and once to replace battery for a service code that came up.

LCD display not configurable, it displays the power level so small it can't be read while riding, there is no trip meter only odometer, hours display only while pressing one of the buttons

For how advanced the bike is I was disappointed with lack of user interface. You can't update firmware yourself or get any information from bike, like firmware version or temperatures.

Bike is so much easier to ride it could make you a lazy rider.

For a new bike they did more things right than wrong, it is an amazing bike to ride. The biggest hindrance is battery technology which you can't really blame them for. I just wish the user interface was more advanced.
Very fair evaluation, I completely agree.

Post a reply to: ALTA OWNERS: Would you do it again?

The Latest