ALTA OWNERS: Would you do it again?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2018 3:43 AM

I'm tired of hearing of the options of ALTAs from people who

A: Have not rode one

B: Don't own one.

I want to hear from ALTA owners; would you do it again? Strickly from a performance/ownership standpoint. Try to kept the fact that you spent a ton of money on the purchase of the bike from influcing your response.

|

4/19/2018 3:51 AM

I’m only a week in so I haven’t potentially got over that new toy infatuation, so for me it’s an obvious yes.

|

4/19/2018 4:29 AM

For me, yes. Absolutely would do it again. It is very addicting to ride. The bike is a blast.

It handles really well in my opinion. It is very fast, especially on the bottom end. And I can’t tell you how much it takes off your mind when you don’t have to worry about what gear to be in or shifting or use the clutch. Frees up your mental energy for line selection and just going fast.

It is not with out drawbacks, though. The recharge time is a little bit of a downer when you are used to just adding some gas and you can keep riding. Also, you will probably go through chains and rear tires faster because of the torque. It also feels like it tops out quicker than my KTM 450 but I guess that is to be expected.

Short answer, yes, absolutely would do it again. It just puts a smile on your face and is a ton of fun. Have fun! Photo Photo

|

4/19/2018 4:40 AM

No, I have not raced it yet. I was thinking about doing a local race here in May with it. But I have not raced since 2011 and I am out of shape and slow now haha. I am really excited about racing it though, going against regular bikes should be fun.

|

4/19/2018 6:08 AM

Yeah I am not sure yet because I have not actually raced it. It will be interesting to see.

The only way I have to compare so far is when I went to an open practice at a track here locally I was passing people at the same rate as I was on my 450. (You scare the crap out of a lot of people when they can not hear you come up behind them haha)

If you are trying to be the next Ryan Dungey I would definitely get a regular bike. If you are past your prime and just trying to have fun riding a dirt bike, I would say the Alta is a solid option.

|

4/19/2018 6:36 AM

I think initially you are going to see more older guys with them than anybody else, cost is obviously going to be a major factor in that aspect the other being most of us older guys don’t have as aggressive of a ride schedule as a younger guy so the technology fits our needs better. As ride time increases and charge time decreases and used bikes start showing up for sale these will be much more attractive to everyone else. It’s an awesome machine, I’ve never felt so comfortable on a bike right away.

|

4/19/2018 7:15 AM

The other aspect I think is worth mentioning is the versatility (suspension set up aside). A motocross bike has its power curve and gearing tailored to motocross, an off road bike to off road. This thing doesn’t care, you can creep up a technical trail or flat out on an MX track, it can do both.

|

4/19/2018 7:18 AM

Yeah for sure, I can see that. The battery limitations are definitely the biggest drawback right now. I love my Alta but I can imagine in 2-5 years the technology will be much better. Recharge times down, longer ride time, maybe shave off a little weight. We will see. I can see electric bikes catching on a lot in the near future.

|

4/19/2018 7:21 AM

snydes wrote:

The other aspect I think is worth mentioning is the versatility (suspension set up aside). A motocross bike has its power curve and gearing tailored to motocross, an off road bike to off road. This thing doesn’t care, you can creep up a technical trail or flat out on an MX track, it can do both.

This is very true. I rode mine for a bit in the woods on a single track the other day. I put it the third map and it was awesome. You don’t have to worry about stalling it and handled really well in the tight stuff.

|

4/19/2018 7:22 AM

Good to hear, I am going to do a ride day next weekend. I live near town with 12 acres, riding my ICE bikes are out of the question, I would love to get one of these and be able to ride daily.

|

4/19/2018 7:48 AM

ehr400 wrote:

Good to hear, I am going to do a ride day next weekend. I live near town with 12 acres, riding my ICE bikes are out of the question, I would love to get one of these and be able to ride daily.

Yeah that too! I have about half that and being able to come home after work and go tear it up for awhile without worry of ticking off the neighbors is darn near worth the purchase alone.

|

4/20/2018 7:55 AM

Yes, I would buy it again.

Reasons:

- Corners better than any bike I have ever ridden (including RMs), and feels like a 125 or 250 2T
- Has the power of a 350, but no searching for the powerband, it is everywhere
- Built in the USA
- Never change the oil
- Never need to buy a pipe and silencer because I crushed mine
- Never replace a radiator or have one repaired
- Never bend a shift lever
- Never brake a clutch lever
- Never adjust the valves or do a top end job
- Never clean an air filter
- Never foul a plug or have problems starting
- I can ride on a track in my backyard near dense population
- The negative of recharging has not been a factor yet. I need to rest occasionally.

Is the Alta MXR the right bike for everyone, No. It is the right bike for tha majority of the offroad riding population, Yes. But the only way for someone to really know is to ride one. Hope you guys make it to a demo day or get to try a friends.

|

4/20/2018 8:47 AM

Yes! 92 hours on mine, and the only thing I have done is replace the chain and sprockets, rear brake pads, grips (because I tipped over) and tires.

I can ride out of my workshop, bust out a 30 minute moto on the track behind my house, any time and any day!

I have ridden more at 51/52 years of age than at any other time in my life because of this bike.

|

4/20/2018 9:32 AM

For sure yes.
As a C rider, doing 2 classes on race day is not a problem. Customer support is outstanding. All the reduced maintenance that others have mentioned. Corners like a dream and is just plain fun to ride.

Depending on what they come up with for 2019 I will buy a new one, or try to pickup a used MXR.

|

4/20/2018 6:41 PM

Hopefully they hit Australia soon. Seems a no brainier and I'll still have my 125

|

4/21/2018 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2018 7:28 AM

I haven't got to ride one yet. But I see them all the time, including big name pros riding them. It seems like the only thing these bikes need is a quick change battery pack. If you could have a couple charged ones in your rig that would be the set up. I rode my first e mt bike the other day and that opened my eyes.

|

4/21/2018 9:19 AM

I've ridden one. He's my take.
I'm really excited about :
1.Solar for my home
2.Owning a Tesla
3.Electric bikes

However, none of them is viable yet.
1.Solar generates about a 5% return on your investment. It's better for me to invest my money elsewhere now. In 6 yrs. it should make so much sense it's mandatory.
2. Telsa makes such a kick but car but its just a toy. I drive so many places that are out of its charge range it just isnt viable. But battery technology will get to where they can go 500 miles on a charge and now were talking!
3. Trust me on this....you've never ridden a bike that has as much amazing torque and power curve as an Alta. It also feel like a 125 weight wise (even though its heavy) It carves better than a Suzuki! But it's a toy too. I get 28 min.s out of a battery charge is a racing environment. A WORCS race is 1 hr. long!!!!!! But...batteries will get better. volume will go up and prices will go down. It will get to where you're at a competitive disadvantage to not be on one. Not yet though.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

4/24/2018 5:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2018 5:33 PM

Just a quick update. I went to Ncmp (North Carolina Motorsports Park) on Saturday. I rode my 2014 KTM FE 450 and my Alta MXR back to back. Did a lap time on the 450, 2:03. Immediately jumped off and got on the Alta, 2:03. Almost identical lap times.

I felt faster in the corners on the Alta, and felt faster on the straights on the 450. Track was a little dry, good in some spots but hard and slick in others. It is a pretty big, fast track. It is not like Glen Helen but decent. I did do a 2:01 earlier in the day on the 450 but the track was a little better earlier on.

Also, this was the first time I used my Rapid charger. That is a game changer. I got about 45% battery in 33 min. Way better than the standard charger.

Hope this helps! I found it interesting. Thanks!

|

4/24/2018 5:42 PM

How long is a full charge lasting for you?

|

4/24/2018 5:53 PM

A lot depends on the track and how hard you ride.

Tight smaller track, about 40-45 min of hard riding on map 4. And a bigger, faster track maybe 30-35 min?

I have not put a timer on it while actually riding, though. That’s with riding a few laps and taking a break and then riding a few more and so on.

|

4/24/2018 6:17 PM

So do you bring a generator to the track with you? I'm getting interested, but guess this would be another expense to figure into the cost?

|

4/24/2018 6:35 PM

Yes, I bring a generator to the track with me now. I personally didn’t have to go out and buy one because my dad had a huge generator he didn’t need anymore. If you don’t have one than yes, that would be an extra cost.

If the track you go to has motor home hook ups you can use that as well with your rapid charger. (Get permission first) I have not done this yet but hope to in the future.

|

4/24/2018 10:55 PM

My kid has rode one and now wants to sell his Service Honda 500 a/f to get one.

i am not liking that idea much.

maybe i a year or so.

I like the idea of the bike, but even at the lower price it's hard for this old 2 stroke guy to stomach.

He likes it because no real work to it. simple and easy.

when my friend comes out this week he is trying to get his to make a 1.45 hour HS if he can that will be cool. so far he is racing Gp's with it.

|

4/24/2018 11:11 PM

The most appealing thing is less bike work and more riding

|

4/26/2018 8:18 AM

I'm having a hard time wanting to ride my 150xcw anywhere compared to the Alta. Alta is just a better dirt bike. More fun to ride without any hassles. Will probably only get Alta's moving forward.

|

4/28/2018 11:37 AM

Thanks for the perspectives from real owners/riders, not hypotheticals. Excited to see more of these.

|

8/22/2018 9:51 AM

I got to ride one the other day. It was race prepped for XC riding. I put a couple of hours on it in tight, gnarly woods. Even in map 4 setting it was managable (just treat it like an open class MX'er). If I had one I would start racing MX on a regular basis and start looking for more Sprint Enduros.

|

8/22/2018 1:20 PM

Rode a friend's several times. I'd buy one if money were no object.

|

8/22/2018 1:29 PM

Holigan wrote:

Yes, I would buy it again.

Reasons:

- Corners better than any bike I have ever ridden (including RMs), and feels like a 125 or 250 2T
- Has the power of a 350, but no searching for the powerband, it is everywhere
- Built in the USA
- Never change the oil
- Never need to buy a pipe and silencer because I crushed mine
- Never replace a radiator or have one repaired
- Never bend a shift lever
- Never brake a clutch lever
- Never adjust the valves or do a top end job
- Never clean an air filter
- Never foul a plug or have problems starting
- I can ride on a track in my backyard near dense population
- The negative of recharging has not been a factor yet. I need to rest occasionally.

Is the Alta MXR the right bike for everyone, No. It is the right bike for tha majority of the offroad riding population, Yes. But the only way for someone to really know is to ride one. Hope you guys make it to a demo day or get to try a friends.

So it doesn't have radiators? Is it air cooled?

|

8/22/2018 1:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 1:33 PM

Titan1 wrote:

So it doesn't have radiators? Is it air cooled?

No radiators to bend up!

|