ADVICE NEEDED - Folding Aluminum Ramp for 4x4 GMC AT4 Pick-Up with a 2" Lift

O&GDriller
Edited Date/Time 2/14/2020 12:44pm
I'm wanting to buy a folding aluminum ramp for loading my bike into my truck. I can't seem to be able to find guidance on the optimum length. Truck is a 2019 GMC AT4 1/2 ton which sits 2" taller than a standard GM 4x4.

I see a lot of 7.5' ramps out there but I believe they will be too short making for a very steep approach angle. I'm thinking 9', 9.5' or 10', however, 9.5' and 10' folding ramps are hard to find at a reasonable price. I'm not wanting to spend much more than $100. Harbor Freight has some nice ones but they're only 7.5'.The tailgate height of my truck is 38.5". A ramp that is about 15" wide would be fine but I could live with any width if the price is right.

If you have a link to something that you feel would fit my needs I would be very grateful. TIA.

|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/12/2020 11:47am
I have an F150 with a 6" lift and 35's. I have a standard 6ft ramp and I know the struggle of it being too steep. The 7 and 8 foot seem to be perfect, I just can't talk myself into buying a new ramp lol.
TGuse15
2/12/2020 11:52am
I have the same truck but the chevy version(trail boss). 7.5 works okay. Loading a bike into a lifted truck is a pain in the ass...
I have the same truck but the chevy version(trail boss). 7.5 works okay. Loading a bike into a lifted truck is a pain in the ass even with a 9 foot ramp. I currently use this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Arched-Truc…
+1 on this. I have a set of Moose brand folding ramps that look very similar to these. I put both of them up, roll the bike up the left one and I walk up the right one. Works just fine. I also have a 2020 GMC with a 2" lift.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/12/2020 11:55am
Whatever you end up with, use slope to your advantage and park pointing downhill. It's much easier to load that way.

O&GDriller
2/12/2020 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 12:30pm
I have the same truck but the chevy version(trail boss). 7.5 works okay. Loading a bike into a lifted truck is a pain in the ass...
I have the same truck but the chevy version(trail boss). 7.5 works okay. Loading a bike into a lifted truck is a pain in the ass even with a 9 foot ramp. I currently use this one:

Too funny. That's the exact same eBay listing I have saved in my watch/wish list but am worried it'll be too short as the pit area I use is pretty much flat. I'm 59 years old and use a 6' x 10' enclosed trailer the majority of the time as I haul 3 bikes when it's my son and I. When it's just me I like to just use the truck and haul one bike but my 30+ year old wooden ~6.5' long 2" x 8" wooden board ramp makes it damn near impossible to load on level ground. I'm tired of looking for inclines and holes in order to load/unload.

On the lighter side, my 28 year old son son is VERY much against me giving up my 30+ year old wooden ramp as he says it has sentimental value as it's older than he is and proudly displays 30+ years of Moto markings, stains, cracks, gouges, etc.! It shows it's age well, much better than I.....
fourfourone
2/12/2020 12:20pm

O&GDriller wrote:
Too funny. That's the exact same eBay listing I have saved in my watch/wish list but am worried it'll be too short as the pit area...
Too funny. That's the exact same eBay listing I have saved in my watch/wish list but am worried it'll be too short as the pit area I use is pretty much flat. I'm 59 years old and use a 6' x 10' enclosed trailer the majority of the time as I haul 3 bikes when it's my son and I. When it's just me I like to just use the truck and haul one bike but my 30+ year old wooden ~6.5' long 2" x 8" wooden board ramp makes it damn near impossible to load on level ground. I'm tired of looking for inclines and holes in order to load/unload.

On the lighter side, my 28 year old son son is VERY much against me giving up my 30+ year old wooden ramp as he says it has sentimental value as it's older than he is and proudly displays 30+ years of Moto markings, stains, cracks, gouges, etc.! It shows it's age well, much better than I.....
I'm lucky that I have a sloped driveway. loading and unloading is super easy.

To load and unload on a flat surface I usually kick my stand next the ramp and push it up/ unload it.

I'm 33 but I am not shy to ask for help getting my bike in the back. Pushing a 250 pound 450 up a ramp solo sucks after riding motos all day.

I do quick practice days after work. Iv'e been thinking about a hitch carrier to make my life easier. That way loading and unloading is super easy. Plus I can stop by the car wash after riding and just power wash the bike right where it sits on the back of the truck.
zippytech
2/12/2020 12:33pm
Just a question,, but do you guy take the trucks off road is that why you have them lifted and big tires?
O&GDriller
2/12/2020 12:33pm
Loading and unloading at the house isn't an issue for me as I have a sloped yard/driveway with an 8" curb to help me out making it a piece of cake. My problem is at the track where my pit area is flat.
BigBoreFan58
2/12/2020 12:42pm
zippytech wrote:
Just a question,, but do you guy take the trucks off road is that why you have them lifted and big tires?
and just like that, unbeknownst to him, zippytech exposed to the world that he has a rather large penis

well played zippy, well played.
fourfourone
2/12/2020 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 12:49pm
zippytech wrote:
Both our trucks came from the factory with a 2 inch lift. Don't really consider that "lifted" I just prefer my trucks to not sit like a minivan.
O&GDriller
2/12/2020 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 12:53pm
zippytech wrote:
If your "Just a question", which has NOTHING to do with the topic being discussed, other than to "ridicule" in a passive aggressive manner is directed at me the answer to your "question" is two fold.

1. My truck spends 75% of it's life off road as I work in the upstream oil and gas industry. We drive dirt roads all day long.

2. My truck is NOT "lifted" nor does it have "big tires". My truck came from the factory with a stance 2" higher than standard 4x4 models. GM calls it a 2" lift but it's not, it's OEM delivered heigth. Realizing "big tires" is a very subjective term, I don't think many people would consider my stock, OEM 33" tires to be "big".

As delivered from the factory is depicted below to make my point. I will be adding a 2" front leveling kit and 35" tires when the OEM tires need replacing. I'll only be doing this to compensate for my rather smallish man member...

Go away and stir your shit up somewhere else.

fourfourone
2/12/2020 12:50pm
O&GDriller wrote:
Loading and unloading at the house isn't an issue for me as I have a sloped yard/driveway with an 8" curb to help me out making...
Loading and unloading at the house isn't an issue for me as I have a sloped yard/driveway with an 8" curb to help me out making it a piece of cake. My problem is at the track where my pit area is flat.
Have you thought about a hitch carrier?
O&GDriller
2/12/2020 12:57pm
O&GDriller wrote:
Loading and unloading at the house isn't an issue for me as I have a sloped yard/driveway with an 8" curb to help me out making...
Have you thought about a hitch carrier?
Yes I have but I'm not a fan. I have several riding buddies with them and I don't like how "wobbly" they are and also worry about someone tapping/running into me from the rear as I tend to brake check tailgaters. My perception might be unfounded on the better built ones. I will revisit that option.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/12/2020 12:59pm
zippytech wrote:
I bought mine that way. Mostly because it was in really good shape and relatively low miles. I've definitely looked into removing the lift and all, but it will cost a good chunk. Will I ever lift or buy another lifted truck? Absolutely not.
zippytech
2/12/2020 1:23pm
zippytech wrote:
O&GDriller wrote:
If your "Just a question", [b][u]which has NOTHING to do with the topic being discussed[/u][/b], other than to "ridicule" in a passive aggressive manner is directed...
If your "Just a question", which has NOTHING to do with the topic being discussed, other than to "ridicule" in a passive aggressive manner is directed at me the answer to your "question" is two fold.

1. My truck spends 75% of it's life off road as I work in the upstream oil and gas industry. We drive dirt roads all day long.

2. My truck is NOT "lifted" nor does it have "big tires". My truck came from the factory with a stance 2" higher than standard 4x4 models. GM calls it a 2" lift but it's not, it's OEM delivered heigth. Realizing "big tires" is a very subjective term, I don't think many people would consider my stock, OEM 33" tires to be "big".

As delivered from the factory is depicted below to make my point. I will be adding a 2" front leveling kit and 35" tires when the OEM tires need replacing. I'll only be doing this to compensate for my rather smallish man member...

Was not starting anything. Just asked why the trucks was lifted or had bigger tires installed. Most of today's trucks are too tall stock to begin with. Fuckin tail gates hit most people in the chest as it is.
zippytech
2/12/2020 1:25pm
My buddy with his f250 use to pull the tail gate off his truck to make it much easier to load.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
2/12/2020 1:29pm
Sell it and get a van!
O&GDriller
2/12/2020 1:33pm
Not an option. It's a company truck that I also get to use as a personal vehicle. As such, it's mine to use but not sell.
MOTOXSTATION
Fantasy
470th
2/12/2020 2:03pm
I have the Silverado version with the level kit....I use an 8’ oak scaffold plank through bolted to a steel lip I had the iron worker whip up for me. No sense switching it up now.
otg042
2/12/2020 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 2:41pm
If you don't have to have a 100% aluminum ramp the DRC ramp is really nice. Lightweight, 8 foot length, won't pinch your fingers when folding, some of those aluminum ramps are like scissors. DRC makes the Langston ramps if you've seen those.
https://www.ebay.com/p/2006897512

I should add, as long as you don't ride your bike up the ramp it's more than strong enough, I think it's rated for 400lbs. Riding your bike up will cause twisting which will cause problems.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
2/12/2020 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 5:36pm
Same truck OP, i use 72" harbor freight ramps with no issue. One to walk up, one to idle the bike up. If truck was any higher i'd prefer longer, but definitely not steep by any means.
(Do NOT by harbor freight ramps if you don't want your tailgate plastic all chewed up.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-steel-loading-ramps-44649.html
LumpDog841
2/12/2020 6:59pm
O&GDriller wrote:
If your "Just a question", [b][u]which has NOTHING to do with the topic being discussed[/u][/b], other than to "ridicule" in a passive aggressive manner is directed...

I have nothing to add other than nice truck. This is what I want next.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
2/12/2020 10:31pm
ktmwoods wrote:
I am all about the https://readyramp.com/
Had mine for 15 years of faithful service and swear by it, and it is super versatile.
X 2. Was about to post the same thing.
TallonT911
2/13/2020 12:28am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2020 12:28am
ktmwoods wrote:
I am all about the https://readyramp.com/
Had mine for 15 years of faithful service and swear by it, and it is super versatile.
sumdood wrote:
X 2. Was about to post the same thing.
X3 have had mine for about 10 years, using it as a bed extender is awesome too
Taylor415
2/13/2020 4:13am
Nice truck! I have a z71 that I leveled on 33s. I had a Ram with 9 inch lift and 37s a couple trucks before this one, but used the same ramp. I use the triple fold ramps so you can walk the bike up the ramp and not have to use a stand or a cooler to step into the truck.
kb228
2/13/2020 4:14am
zippytech wrote:
Most people just like the look. The rest do take their trucks mudding from time to time.

Only reason i dont lift mine is for dirtbike reasons. Last thing i want after a long day is to push 2 bikes up an extra 6”+
bama205
2/13/2020 5:33am
I just take my trailer everywhere

Post a reply to: ADVICE NEEDED - Folding Aluminum Ramp for 4x4 GMC AT4 Pick-Up with a 2" Lift

The Latest