ACL replacement and recovery

ReinV
Edited Date/Time 10/26/2020 2:58pm
Good morning from Estonia - yes it´s morning in here Smile .

Like to hear some experiences recovering from ACL replacement. Had such operation 10 day ago to my left knee and to me it seems that I recovering quite fast :D. Doctor said it would be good if my leg bends after 2 weeks 120 degrees and after 4 week 90 degrees. I have been busy with my leg and it bends already about 60-70 degrees. According to the doktor maximum recovery time is 8 to 9 month.

What are your experiences with ACL replacement and recovering from it? How long it take and what did you do to recover faster?

TNX
|
pontakoj
11/2/2017 1:51am
HI! I have done 2 ACL replacements in my right knee. Was back on the bike after about 5 months after both of the surgerys. Had an nice pain after both times, but bought an nice ICE and compression icepack sleeve i had over the knee the first 4-6 weeks. Helped a lot!

Did one hamstring and one patella, the second one was a lot more painful.
brimx153
11/2/2017 2:45am
I have done 4 ACL replacements. 3 left and one right knee. they were all patella. But firs time was messier ,did my mcl,pcl cartilage and broke m knee cap as well as the bit of bone were the acl attaches to ,so i was 8 wk s in a cast before i could do an physio. that was soooooooooo hard to gt back to an ok knee again . After that i found the other normall ACLs not too bad . was back on the bike in 5 months . best advise i can give is build up your quad s after you have finished physio and you are fixed . keep doing the physio for a year a least or for life ,even better.

when you get an acl done here you have too have your knee bending a least 90 before u can leave the hospital . that would be 3 to 4 day s
shkapars
11/2/2017 3:05am
Tore left knee ACL in ice hockey. Was back on ice after 5 months but not in full strength for games just for training. Fast recovery is more painful. Do all recovery program advised by sports doctors because for some average docs good enough is if you can walk to supermarket and bring home milk
Motofinne
11/2/2017 3:08am
I have done 2 ACLs in my right knee.

Don't rush into riding and keep doing the physical exercises(this is the key for quicker and better recovery) that you get from your physiotherapist and you will be back to almost 100%!

The Shop

porson
11/2/2017 5:06am

Here is my video obout my recovery from first ACL on my left knee, next year I had another on my right knee. I was doing my knee exercises every day for about 4-5 hours per day (1-2 hours at physiotherapist and other hours at home). For normal walking is going to be ok in 1-2 months, for riding i will wait for 6-9 months, it depends how much work you put into rehab. Indoor bike helps a lot, but this is about afer 2 months, just stick with the plan from your physiotherapist Wink

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/2/2017 5:21am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 5:22am
Similar to others. Did the left knee and used my hamstring. About 6 months, one thing I would have done different was to trust the knee more earlier and worked on my range of motion and strength. I got it all back once I trusted the knee and worked it hard.

Oh yeah, forget them pills, that ice machine compression thing is just awesome for pain and swelling.
NeedMoto
11/2/2017 7:27am
Same as others have mentioned, was back on the bike after 5-6 months.

Although it took almost a year for 100% feeling of back to normal, as though there was never an issue.
racer369
11/2/2017 7:35am
destroyed my right acl in 79. way before anybody fixed them. Finally had repair in 98. Surgery on Thursday AM, stiches out the following Tuesday PM. Was told I could get in wet as I wanted on Friday. Went to local YMCA and started my own theropy. In the warm water waste deep pool. Walked slowly across and then walked backwards for 30 mins twice a day. I could bend to 90 degrees 2 weeks afte surgery. This was done in Early Nov and I could squat down to catch baseball the next April. Don't let it get stiff.
ReinV
11/3/2017 1:14am
Thanks everyone! Will be back on bike march 2018 - hopefully Smile
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
11/3/2017 6:56am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2017 6:57am
I've had both knees done. Most important thing you can do is find a great physical therapist. Luckily for me, my wife is one. Do all your therapy daily and you'll be back in 6 months. Don't be afraid to touch and massage your knee. Ice and elevate it constantly to get the swelling down and range of motion will come back a lot faster.

Another really important fact, your diet plays a huge role in your recovery. Eat as healthy as possible.
mrmoto619
11/3/2017 10:55am
Had Rt. ACL replaced 2011 used patellar tendon did my therapy went well except at the 3-4 month time frame you will start feeling much better and think you are able to do stuff your probably not ready for ( I jumped a bicycle into a foam pit and twisted my knee just a little but that caused intense pain and swelling I was sick to my stomach thought I had retorn it luckily I did not)

Had Lt. ACL replaced Sept 10, 2017 surgeon talked me into a new procedure using quad tendon ( he said it is less painful it was not).
ReinV
11/3/2017 11:47am
mrmoto619 wrote:
Had Rt. ACL replaced 2011 used patellar tendon did my therapy went well except at the 3-4 month time frame you will start feeling much better...
Had Rt. ACL replaced 2011 used patellar tendon did my therapy went well except at the 3-4 month time frame you will start feeling much better and think you are able to do stuff your probably not ready for ( I jumped a bicycle into a foam pit and twisted my knee just a little but that caused intense pain and swelling I was sick to my stomach thought I had retorn it luckily I did not)

Had Lt. ACL replaced Sept 10, 2017 surgeon talked me into a new procedure using quad tendon ( he said it is less painful it was not).
Some how the pain is not too big problem for me. I "walked" out from hospital after 2hours I had surgery. I took pain killers two times because little pain was just annoying.
Mit12
11/3/2017 3:43pm
ReinV wrote:
Thanks everyone! Will be back on bike march 2018 - hopefully Smile
I have had many injuries over my career and my recommendation is let it heal up completly. Rushing back is a crap shoot and could be something you will regret when you are my age. I never listened to my doctors when it came to time lines and I am paying for it every day now. Your choice and your life. Good luck.
RebelSpud
10/25/2020 1:02pm
ACL Journey was nuts. Started off pretty good, but mental health was hard (I'm extremely active), and had some hiccups along the way. Scar tissue, hard time getting my flexion back, clicking in my knee...and just overall fear. HOWEVER! I'm back 2.5 years later and feeling good. Here's part of my journey and some updates for those who are interested! Happy healing! https://youtu.be/NcxK2yKgrJU
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
10/25/2020 1:22pm
Just had mine done on the 16th of October - so I’m 9 days post op as well.

I walked out of the hospital that day with a leg brace on.

ChubbyCat113
10/26/2020 11:50am
I'm 4 weeks post op on an ACL reconstruction, MCL tear and medial meniscus tear. I was pretty active before surgery and worked out so I think that's helping with recovery. Physical Therapist says I'm way ahead of schedule! Just do what PT says to do and you'll be good! I'm hoping to be back on the bike this spring!

Best of luck to you on your recovery!
mtrhead
10/26/2020 2:58pm
Posted this last year

1st time in early 80’s: patella - full length cast and rehab 6 moths.

2nd time in late 90’s: cadaver - woke up with my leg in a machining cycling. July 3 popped it racing. Raced fall classic at Red Bud 10-12 weeks later. Races bikes and other toys ever since! Never an issue! I was riding late August/Early September.

Update. I found what I think was the race results and it was about 13 weeks after surgery. 23 years later. Still riding, playing hockey, racing mtb’s and snow boarding. Only wore cti knee braces on Mx never on anything else.
10/26/2020 8:31pm
6 months is a good estimate for good recovery.....I did a MX ride after 7 weeks from surgery....all good until I pat my feet down to save a front end wash....I was young and stupid, respect your doctor opinion, dont ride until full recovery. If you are not a pro you dont need to hurry the process....be smart, think in long term......good luck!......once again, be smart
Jack_4196
Fantasy
3328th
10/27/2020 1:52pm
I had my acl done may 9th, 2019 and rode again October 26th that same year. 5 months and change, I wish I waited a tad longer to ride because I was very timid while riding. They used part of my hamstring as my new Acl, my doctor thought with me being younger (23 at the time) and still wanting to continue racing and riding he thought the hamstring would be stronger for me than the tendon route.
Glad I had the operation, now it’s not even a thought in my head anymore!
fisher
2/2/2021 9:38pm
6 months is a good estimate for good recovery.....I did a MX ride after 7 weeks from surgery....all good until I pat my feet down to...
6 months is a good estimate for good recovery.....I did a MX ride after 7 weeks from surgery....all good until I pat my feet down to save a front end wash....I was young and stupid, respect your doctor opinion, dont ride until full recovery. If you are not a pro you dont need to hurry the process....be smart, think in long term......good luck!......once again, be smart
Fernando, did you tear again after you planted your foot or just piss it off? I'm about 6 months post op and my knee doesn't feel 100% yet but want to get back ony bike come spring.. My biggest fear is dabbing my foot and doing damage. To everyone on here that's been riding on a healed ACl surgery and torn again. Do you think you would have torn again either way if it was your original knee?

Post a reply to: ACL replacement and recovery

The Latest