ACL replacement and recovery

Related:
Create New Tag

11/2/2017 1:09 AM

Good morning from Estonia - yes it´s morning in here smile.

Like to hear some experiences recovering from ACL replacement. Had such operation 10 day ago to my left knee and to me it seems that I recovering quite fast :D. Doctor said it would be good if my leg bends after 2 weeks 120 degrees and after 4 week 90 degrees. I have been busy with my leg and it bends already about 60-70 degrees. According to the doktor maximum recovery time is 8 to 9 month.

What are your experiences with ACL replacement and recovering from it? How long it take and what did you do to recover faster?

TNX

|

11/2/2017 1:51 AM

HI! I have done 2 ACL replacements in my right knee. Was back on the bike after about 5 months after both of the surgerys. Had an nice pain after both times, but bought an nice ICE and compression icepack sleeve i had over the knee the first 4-6 weeks. Helped a lot!

Did one hamstring and one patella, the second one was a lot more painful.

|

11/2/2017 2:45 AM

I have done 4 ACL replacements. 3 left and one right knee. they were all patella. But firs time was messier ,did my mcl,pcl cartilage and broke m knee cap as well as the bit of bone were the acl attaches to ,so i was 8 wk s in a cast before i could do an physio. that was soooooooooo hard to gt back to an ok knee again . After that i found the other normall ACLs not too bad . was back on the bike in 5 months . best advise i can give is build up your quad s after you have finished physio and you are fixed . keep doing the physio for a year a least or for life ,even better.

when you get an acl done here you have too have your knee bending a least 90 before u can leave the hospital . that would be 3 to 4 day s

|

11/2/2017 3:05 AM

Tore left knee ACL in ice hockey. Was back on ice after 5 months but not in full strength for games just for training. Fast recovery is more painful. Do all recovery program advised by sports doctors because for some average docs good enough is if you can walk to supermarket and bring home milk

|

11/2/2017 3:08 AM

I have done 2 ACLs in my right knee.

Don't rush into riding and keep doing the physical exercises(this is the key for quicker and better recovery) that you get from your physiotherapist and you will be back to almost 100%!

|

11/2/2017 5:06 AM

Here is my video obout my recovery from first ACL on my left knee, next year I had another on my right knee. I was doing my knee exercises every day for about 4-5 hours per day (1-2 hours at physiotherapist and other hours at home). For normal walking is going to be ok in 1-2 months, for riding i will wait for 6-9 months, it depends how much work you put into rehab. Indoor bike helps a lot, but this is about afer 2 months, just stick with the plan from your physiotherapist wink

|

11/2/2017 5:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/2/2017 5:22 AM

Similar to others. Did the left knee and used my hamstring. About 6 months, one thing I would have done different was to trust the knee more earlier and worked on my range of motion and strength. I got it all back once I trusted the knee and worked it hard.

Oh yeah, forget them pills, that ice machine compression thing is just awesome for pain and swelling.

|

11/2/2017 7:27 AM

Same as others have mentioned, was back on the bike after 5-6 months.

Although it took almost a year for 100% feeling of back to normal, as though there was never an issue.

|

11/2/2017 7:35 AM

destroyed my right acl in 79. way before anybody fixed them. Finally had repair in 98. Surgery on Thursday AM, stiches out the following Tuesday PM. Was told I could get in wet as I wanted on Friday. Went to local YMCA and started my own theropy. In the warm water waste deep pool. Walked slowly across and then walked backwards for 30 mins twice a day. I could bend to 90 degrees 2 weeks afte surgery. This was done in Early Nov and I could squat down to catch baseball the next April. Don't let it get stiff.

|

11/3/2017 1:14 AM

Thanks everyone! Will be back on bike march 2018 - hopefully smile

|

11/3/2017 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/3/2017 6:57 AM

I've had both knees done. Most important thing you can do is find a great physical therapist. Luckily for me, my wife is one. Do all your therapy daily and you'll be back in 6 months. Don't be afraid to touch and massage your knee. Ice and elevate it constantly to get the swelling down and range of motion will come back a lot faster.

Another really important fact, your diet plays a huge role in your recovery. Eat as healthy as possible.

|

11/3/2017 10:55 AM

Had Rt. ACL replaced 2011 used patellar tendon did my therapy went well except at the 3-4 month time frame you will start feeling much better and think you are able to do stuff your probably not ready for ( I jumped a bicycle into a foam pit and twisted my knee just a little but that caused intense pain and swelling I was sick to my stomach thought I had retorn it luckily I did not)

Had Lt. ACL replaced Sept 10, 2017 surgeon talked me into a new procedure using quad tendon ( he said it is less painful it was not).

|

11/3/2017 11:47 AM

mrmoto619 wrote:

Had Rt. ACL replaced 2011 used patellar tendon did my therapy went well except at the 3-4 month time frame you will start feeling much better and think you are able to do stuff your probably not ready for ( I jumped a bicycle into a foam pit and twisted my knee just a little but that caused intense pain and swelling I was sick to my stomach thought I had retorn it luckily I did not)

Had Lt. ACL replaced Sept 10, 2017 surgeon talked me into a new procedure using quad tendon ( he said it is less painful it was not).

Some how the pain is not too big problem for me. I "walked" out from hospital after 2hours I had surgery. I took pain killers two times because little pain was just annoying.

|

11/3/2017 12:40 PM

Good luck with the recovery. My daughter is getting her's repaired this month after 7 years of it being torn.

|

11/3/2017 3:43 PM

ReinV wrote:

Thanks everyone! Will be back on bike march 2018 - hopefully smile

I have had many injuries over my career and my recommendation is let it heal up completly. Rushing back is a crap shoot and could be something you will regret when you are my age. I never listened to my doctors when it came to time lines and I am paying for it every day now. Your choice and your life. Good luck.

|

11/3/2017 4:42 PM

4 months surgery to released to ride

|