A1 TV Ratings | Big growth

ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
1/11/2018 5:43am
Somewhere there is a bean counter thinking
"We gave them less racing, higher prices at the stadium that sold out, and more tv viewers.
Association or causation?"
kkawboy14
1/11/2018 6:45am
philG wrote:
so for every person in the stadium, there were only 4 watching on TV ?

ToolMaker wrote:
45k in statium, 350k tv viewers How about we go with1-8 ratio? But it may be better than that as I wonder how many eye balls...
45k in statium, 350k tv viewers
How about we go with1-8 ratio?
But it may be better than that as I wonder
how many eye balls they figure per TV.
If they figure 2 viewers per tv I would think
The numbers may be better than that as our
core viewers typically make a party of SX and
average anywhere from 6-10 folks in the house
watching.
TM
Plus they only calculate that number from the input from 25,000 households and extrapolate it out to make a guess at how many watch it.
bball35
1/11/2018 7:22am
ratings may be up but it looked pretty empty to me when marv was doing his lap of honour, never used to see so many empty...
ratings may be up but it
looked pretty empty to me when marv was doing his lap of honour, never used to see so many empty seats
Are you just trolling? Have you looked at pictures? The stadium was the fullest I've seen since probably 2008 or 2009. There was not a seat to be had.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
1/11/2018 8:09am
sumdood wrote:
The stadiums priced me out of it. I used to take my family of 4, plus 1 friend for each kid. But it's now cheaper for...
The stadiums priced me out of it. I used to take my family of 4, plus 1 friend for each kid. But it's now cheaper for us to go to the desert for 3 days, ride, eat like kings, and watch the race on the side of a trailer. I have friends in the same boat. Just talked to a friend who went to A-1, "The track was bitchin, the racing was good, but other than that their out of their minds" Cheapest seats 45 bucks, 25 bucks to park, NO food in the parking lot, no bbq's, KFC, nothing. More cops than ever before, 15 dollar beers, 12 dollars for a program but they ran out because "they only printed 10,00" ? 32 dollar hats ? No wonder the tv audience is growing. I'm surprised it sold out honestly because I know of bunch of hard core fans who are done shelling out that kind of cheese
BobbyM wrote:
I'd rather riding with you than hit the race now that you put it that way.
Warning ! there's complaining in this post, scroll past if you don't want to hear it LOL. I don't know what the other venues across the country are like, and we're probably spoiled because we've been going since it was a much more relaxed ? low key atmosphere I guess ? Used to be at A-1 there were people tailgating in the parking lot, riding around on skateboards scooters 50's bicycles whatever, people were hanging out everywhere, it was fun. You could walk in and out of the stadium and pits at will, through whatever gate was convenient, sit anywhere in the stadium to watch practice, find your seats in advance if you wanted, get food from anywhere in the stadium (with short lines) it was more like a local dirt bike race feel. I think more than the money issue we got tired of all the rules and cops and being herded like cattle, in this gate only between this certain time, being told we can't leave the stadium to go get warmer clothes or we won't be let back in, it was more of a relaxed atmosphere. Of course like anything else it only takes a few drunk assholes to fuck it up for everyone else, but a lot of the fun got sucked out of it just by the crowd handling policies. Nothing more satisfying than telling a security guard "hey my kid forgot his sweatshirt in the car" and being told "too bad, if you leave you're not allowed back in", Say what ? Spend HUNDREDS of dollars to be treated like shit ? We just got over it. The money wasn't as big of a factor in not going anymore as much as the fact that it just wasn't that much fun anymore. I know, waaah waaah call the whambulance haha. Watching in the desert or at someone's house with the crew outweighed all the bs at the stadiums. For us anyway. Carry on.

The Shop

bball35
1/11/2018 8:23am
sumdood wrote:
Warning ! there's complaining in this post, scroll past if you don't want to hear it LOL. I don't know what the other venues across the...
Warning ! there's complaining in this post, scroll past if you don't want to hear it LOL. I don't know what the other venues across the country are like, and we're probably spoiled because we've been going since it was a much more relaxed ? low key atmosphere I guess ? Used to be at A-1 there were people tailgating in the parking lot, riding around on skateboards scooters 50's bicycles whatever, people were hanging out everywhere, it was fun. You could walk in and out of the stadium and pits at will, through whatever gate was convenient, sit anywhere in the stadium to watch practice, find your seats in advance if you wanted, get food from anywhere in the stadium (with short lines) it was more like a local dirt bike race feel. I think more than the money issue we got tired of all the rules and cops and being herded like cattle, in this gate only between this certain time, being told we can't leave the stadium to go get warmer clothes or we won't be let back in, it was more of a relaxed atmosphere. Of course like anything else it only takes a few drunk assholes to fuck it up for everyone else, but a lot of the fun got sucked out of it just by the crowd handling policies. Nothing more satisfying than telling a security guard "hey my kid forgot his sweatshirt in the car" and being told "too bad, if you leave you're not allowed back in", Say what ? Spend HUNDREDS of dollars to be treated like shit ? We just got over it. The money wasn't as big of a factor in not going anymore as much as the fact that it just wasn't that much fun anymore. I know, waaah waaah call the whambulance haha. Watching in the desert or at someone's house with the crew outweighed all the bs at the stadiums. For us anyway. Carry on.
That is just life at a stadium nowadays. With the threat of terrorists stadiums have to be careful and cannot allow that trust factor anymore to just come and go as we please around pits and stadiums.
mauidex
1/11/2018 8:23am
sumdood wrote:
The stadiums priced me out of it. I used to take my family of 4, plus 1 friend for each kid. But it's now cheaper for...
The stadiums priced me out of it. I used to take my family of 4, plus 1 friend for each kid. But it's now cheaper for us to go to the desert for 3 days, ride, eat like kings, and watch the race on the side of a trailer. I have friends in the same boat. Just talked to a friend who went to A-1, "The track was bitchin, the racing was good, but other than that their out of their minds" Cheapest seats 45 bucks, 25 bucks to park, NO food in the parking lot, no bbq's, KFC, nothing. More cops than ever before, 15 dollar beers, 12 dollars for a program but they ran out because "they only printed 10,00" ? 32 dollar hats ? No wonder the tv audience is growing. I'm surprised it sold out honestly because I know of bunch of hard core fans who are done shelling out that kind of cheese
BobbyM wrote:
I'd rather riding with you than hit the race now that you put it that way.
sumdood wrote:
Warning ! there's complaining in this post, scroll past if you don't want to hear it LOL. I don't know what the other venues across the...
without a doubt!!!! A1 used to be a an "event" much more than a race.........think this happened once they went to more than one anaheim race.........was the Indy 500 of SXWinkWink
Spagina767
1/11/2018 9:42am
TV ratings are low because its too hard to follow, if you don't know the sport.

Heats, semi's, lcq, mains... There are too many interviews with "first place"

I personally feel if the show was split into two different things - "Supercross Qualifying", and "Supercross", then more people would watch Supercross. They have to watch too much to get to the main event. Hardcore fans would watch both.
Johnny Depp
1/11/2018 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 4:57pm
Hadn't seen anyone discuss the follow up show to SX, the Monster Jam 2018 Season Kickoff Show on FS1. This is not the actual show, I think it was the stream?

I've got to say, it woke my late night sleepy ass up when I saw it. When you realize that Feld owns them both, the comparisons become very relevant. Read the comments on YouTube and it looks like Vital, with a bunch of complaining about the show's production.

SX is just another fish in the pond to them, and fills a lot less stadiums than Monster Jam does, and driver's are
only a small part of the show. The trucks are owned by Feld, no AMA or FIM to deal with etc. The demographic for fans is likely much different. Interesting viewpoint.
bball35
1/12/2018 7:02am
Hadn't seen anyone discuss the follow up show to SX, the Monster Jam 2018 Season Kickoff Show on FS1. This is not the actual show, I...
Hadn't seen anyone discuss the follow up show to SX, the Monster Jam 2018 Season Kickoff Show on FS1. This is not the actual show, I think it was the stream?

I've got to say, it woke my late night sleepy ass up when I saw it. When you realize that Feld owns them both, the comparisons become very relevant. Read the comments on YouTube and it looks like Vital, with a bunch of complaining about the show's production.

SX is just another fish in the pond to them, and fills a lot less stadiums than Monster Jam does, and driver's are
only a small part of the show. The trucks are owned by Feld, no AMA or FIM to deal with etc. The demographic for fans is likely much different. Interesting viewpoint.
Feld also owns Disney on Ice, and Mickey Mouse live shows. They use to own the Circus before they shut that down. Feld is in the entertainment business and I think they do a great job.
TDeath21
1/12/2018 8:31am
They also go head to head with the NFL Playoffs for the first two rounds. I personally DVR it, avoid social media, and watch after the games end. I’m not sure how that affects the ratings.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
1/12/2018 8:56am
Hadn't seen anyone discuss the follow up show to SX, the Monster Jam 2018 Season Kickoff Show on FS1. This is not the actual show, I...

I’ve never been to a monster jam but have heard from others that it is a great show and very kid friendly. I imagine it tops SX in every way for a newcomer to motorsports/circus acts. A fan in the stands who has never been on a MX track cannot appreciate the talent and conditioning it takes. The Pros make it look way to easy.

I’ve had friends/family over with SX on in the background and they always ask me “so this is what you did when you raced” and I’m like “yeah sure!”
bball35
1/12/2018 9:03am
KennyT wrote:
I’ve never been to a monster jam but have heard from others that it is a great show and very kid friendly. I imagine it tops...
I’ve never been to a monster jam but have heard from others that it is a great show and very kid friendly. I imagine it tops SX in every way for a newcomer to motorsports/circus acts. A fan in the stands who has never been on a MX track cannot appreciate the talent and conditioning it takes. The Pros make it look way to easy.

I’ve had friends/family over with SX on in the background and they always ask me “so this is what you did when you raced” and I’m like “yeah sure!”
I'll say I have taken my fair share of people to Supercross races and I love taking them to practices and sitting them right in front of the triple and see the look on their face when they see the first bikes hit it. Everyone can complain all they want, but this is the greatest sport in the world.
1/12/2018 11:27am
They need to broadcast it like they do UFC. Prelims on FS1 and them the main card fights on PPV. But SX Could be FS1 for Heats and LCQs, then “start” a show on FOX that is just the main events. They can show highlights of the Heats and LCQs for “fluff’ time. That way the general population wont get bored. They can learn who the top guys are by watching them for an hour every week. Then if they get into it and want more, just tune into FS1 a few hours earlier.
Johnny Depp
1/12/2018 11:31am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 11:32am
They need to broadcast it like they do UFC. Prelims on FS1 and them the main card fights on PPV. But SX Could be FS1 for...
They need to broadcast it like they do UFC. Prelims on FS1 and them the main card fights on PPV. But SX Could be FS1 for Heats and LCQs, then “start” a show on FOX that is just the main events. They can show highlights of the Heats and LCQs for “fluff’ time. That way the general population wont get bored. They can learn who the top guys are by watching them for an hour every week. Then if they get into it and want more, just tune into FS1 a few hours earlier.
Best idea I've heard yet. Brilliant!

Very much like the Nationals have moto 1 on MavTV and then Moto 2 on NBCsports or whatever.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/12/2018 11:41am
They need to broadcast it like they do UFC. Prelims on FS1 and them the main card fights on PPV. But SX Could be FS1 for...
Can we adjust all race times so the mains broadcast starts at 9pm est?
Titan1
1/12/2018 11:44am
If they want TV viewers...they are going to have to shorten the TV program to 1 hour.

Show highlights of qualifying...a self interest piece or two...and both main events live, and uninterrupted by commercials.

As was mentioned above, time the main events to broadcast live on the east coast a reasonable hour...Way more people would watch.

A three hour broadcast that gets over at 2 in the morning is prohibitive to all but the most diehard fans.
bball35
1/12/2018 11:48am
Are you all forgetting that Fox is seeing numbers grow each year not shrink? Why are you all wanting to change the programming. I love my live races and have never once been "bored" while watching the races. Think about all the down time football has and some college football games last up to four hours. I just don't get the complaining on this topic.
Johnny Depp
1/12/2018 12:06pm
East coast shows need to start at like 8pm ET and West Coast shows 6pm PT.
1 hour is too short to be taken seriously, 3 is boring and everyone records it and fast forwards through it.
If you go to a focused show on a live network, the 250's don't belong. It's like having a college game and a pro game on the same show.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/12/2018 12:18pm
Fulltime coverage on "big FOX" looks more likely as they are selling content production tonDisney to focus on news and live sports specifically.
https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/tv/news/disney-deal-whats-l…
Since rating arengood and getting better it would be a good time to push for more major network coverage.
JM485
1/12/2018 12:28pm
sumdood wrote:
You sir, absolutely nailed it. When I was a kid and the NorCal race was in SF, it used to be an absolute free for all in the parking lot. We used to bring ramps, rails, skateboards, scooters, whatever we could find to play around all day and have more fun then ever should be legal. Now in oakland the second you bust a ramp out the parking lot nazis are all over you, I can’t even imagine what they’d do if someone pulled out a 50 like back in the day. We used to park along the water in these big warehouse buildings, so even if it was raining the sesh was still on.Cool Pits just aren’t the same either, it seemed like everything used to be way more open and accessible when I was a kid and not everyone was so stuck up. I don’t remember how entry and reentry used to be, but I don’t remember it being as crazy as it is now. The nice thing is nobody working has a clue what’s going on so if one worker won’t let you in you just walk over and talk to another.Grinning

Ya, I complained and whined to, deal with it.
JJO741
Fantasy
3012th
1/12/2018 12:32pm
ratings may be up but it looked pretty empty to me when marv was doing his lap of honour, never used to see so many empty...
ratings may be up but it
looked pretty empty to me when marv was doing his lap of honour, never used to see so many empty seats
Lots of people leave just before the checkered flag comes out and leave shortly after it is waived. I was there and the stadium was extremely packed.
philG
1/12/2018 12:46pm
philG wrote:
so for every person in the stadium, there were only 4 watching on TV ?

ToolMaker wrote:
45k in statium, 350k tv viewers How about we go with1-8 ratio? But it may be better than that as I wonder how many eye balls...
45k in statium, 350k tv viewers
How about we go with1-8 ratio?
But it may be better than that as I wonder
how many eye balls they figure per TV.
If they figure 2 viewers per tv I would think
The numbers may be better than that as our
core viewers typically make a party of SX and
average anywhere from 6-10 folks in the house
watching.
TM
I had it in my head it was way bigger than that, and 45,000 is the ballpark capacity, so i guess it will be right around 40,000.

It seems a pretty low number, but US TV ratings are a mystery to most folk i think.

TeamGreen
1/12/2018 2:44pm
Football games are long...
With a stupid ass commercial every few plays...
Then some donkey-ass 1/2 time break/show...
I think Feld & Fox are doing just fine. Also, the stadium seemed pretty damn packed to me.
MXMattii
1/12/2018 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 3:43pm
Just something to think about: The Grand Prix of Greece in 1998 (last GP of the season). And that was the year Seb Tortelli and Sefan Everts fought till the last heat for the World Championship. That GP had 1 million viewers in Belgium alone. Ok back then the race was on national television, but still it feels so unbelievable today when you read the numbers of sports.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/12/2018 6:17pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Football games are long... With a stupid ass commercial every few plays... Then some donkey-ass 1/2 time break/show... I think Feld & Fox are doing just...
Football games are long...
With a stupid ass commercial every few plays...
Then some donkey-ass 1/2 time break/show...
I think Feld & Fox are doing just fine. Also, the stadium seemed pretty damn packed to me.
It felt like there was substantially more downtime during the broadcast vs last year with the elimination of the semis. There were 2 breaks that had 2 features in them and at least 6 commercial breaks. Live that provides time for the bathroom and beer runs but sitting at home it felt like forever.
Hcallz5
1/12/2018 6:39pm
I doubt that many people can stand watching 5 hours of TV and 45 minutes total of racing lol.
chump6784
1/12/2018 6:54pm
3 hours is way too long for the amount of actual racing. I was at my dad's place watching A1, he is a casual viewer but he was ready to dvr it and watch it later.

I feel they should take a lead from what the aussie series does. Have heats, lcq and then the top 5 from the heats do a 1 lap timed shootout for the top 5 gate picks. Do that for both classes and you have added around 15 minutes of the top 10 guys on the track. After that roll into the mains
DonM
1/12/2018 8:26pm
Wow! so many clueless people...If you have something on TV that is showing double digit growth year over year...you are winning...nothing, and I mean nothing, can make that claim in todays media world...because of all the things going on in TV programing over the last five years every sport, every TV show, every TV network is losing viewers at an alarming rate...but through all that SX is bucking the trend and that means something and will pay off...congrats to Feld!

Post a reply to: A1 TV Ratings | Big growth

The Latest