A1 TV Ratings | Big growth

cameron96
Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 8:26pm

Keep the ball rolling!

With all the races this year on FS1 or Fox (no fs2) the sport should see some huge gains in viewership. That combined with the new formats and hopefully a title chase!
|
Motofinne
1/9/2018 10:13am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 10:14am
And nothing of that trickles down to the teams and riders. The purse is still the same and the teams haven't seen any benefits of these increases?
cameron96
1/9/2018 10:17am
Motofinne wrote:
And nothing of that trickles down to the teams and riders. The purse is still the same and the teams haven't seen any benefits of these...
And nothing of that trickles down to the teams and riders. The purse is still the same and the teams haven't seen any benefits of these increases?
Give it another year or 2 of double digit growth some moneys coming to the sport. Year to year growth like this is gonna open some doors
Motofinne
1/9/2018 10:20am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 10:25am
Motofinne wrote:
And nothing of that trickles down to the teams and riders. The purse is still the same and the teams haven't seen any benefits of these...
cameron96 wrote:
Give it another year or 2 of double digit growth some moneys coming to the sport. Year to year growth like this is gonna open some...
Give it another year or 2 of double digit growth some moneys coming to the sport. Year to year growth like this is gonna open some doors
Yeah i was just playing the devil's advocate. This is a positive thing.

But i feel like the teams need to get their shit together, they have to capitalize on this sooner rather than later. The doors might be open, but for whom? Feld to make even more money? Because it doesn't look like there is any effort at all from the teams to make it better for them and the riders.

I actually liked Tony Alessis idea that he spoke of in the podcast that he did with Matthes. A bit like the MotoGP system.
cameron96
1/9/2018 10:24am
They also had 240,000 unique viewers for Race Day Live for A1. When I logged in there was 40,000 other people viewing at the time

Last year I remember numbers like 12,000 other viewing on the stream

The Shop

APerry151
1/9/2018 10:28am
cameron96 wrote:
They also had 240,000 unique viewers for Race Day Live for A1. When I logged in there was 40,000 other people viewing at the time Last...
They also had 240,000 unique viewers for Race Day Live for A1. When I logged in there was 40,000 other people viewing at the time

Last year I remember numbers like 12,000 other viewing on the stream
Interesting... Love to see so many signs of growth for supercross. I sometimes feel like we could try harder at the professional level to sell the sport, which has so much potential.
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
1/9/2018 10:32am
Most of the people I've talked to will not be watching live much more. But, if you're recording, I guess it still counts.
Acidreamer
1/9/2018 10:34am
Companies are geting like an 11% tax cut. Some of it better be trickling down. Thats hundreds of thousands of dollars
philG
1/9/2018 10:34am
so for every person in the stadium, there were only 4 watching on TV ?

cameron96
1/9/2018 10:38am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 10:39am
philG wrote:
so for every person in the stadium, there were only 4 watching on TV ?

There is also the stream package viewers but this sport is weird

Kenny has a million followers on IG but no sx gets near that In viewers

I followed the sport for years without ever watching a broadcast cause I’m in Canada and couldnt get it on tv till a couple years ago
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
1/9/2018 10:40am
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah i was just playing the devil's advocate. This is a positive thing. But i feel like the teams need to get their shit together, they...

But i feel like the teams need to get their shit together, they have to capitalize on this sooner rather than later. The doors might be open, but for whom? Feld to make even more money? Because it doesn't look like there is any effort at all from the teams to make it better for them and the riders.

I actually liked Tony Alessis idea that he spoke of in the podcast that he did with Matthes. A bit like the MotoGP system.
Better ratings could lead to more (and/or new) sponsorship money going to race teams.
mauidex
1/9/2018 10:42am
in TV and advertising land these numbers are pathetic.............they are fantastic for year over year growth so thats a good selling point!!!
Motofinne
1/9/2018 10:45am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 10:47am
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah i was just playing the devil's advocate. This is a positive thing. But i feel like the teams need to get their shit together, they...

RichieW13 wrote:
Better ratings could lead to more (and/or new) sponsorship money going to race teams.
Of course. The problem is that Feld(MX sports too in some cases) are limiting the teams so much.

The camera deal, you can't sell merchandise at the pits(they can't even give anything away?), Feld allegedly "stealing" potential sponsors of teams(Matthes has talked about that multiple times) etc. The list is long, i'm sure people in the know can fill in with more examples.

How are you going to get in more sponsors to your team if you can't promote them more than by putting their logo on your bike and truck?
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
1/9/2018 10:52am
The stadiums priced me out of it. I used to take my family of 4, plus 1 friend for each kid. But it's now cheaper for us to go to the desert for 3 days, ride, eat like kings, and watch the race on the side of a trailer. I have friends in the same boat. Just talked to a friend who went to A-1, "The track was bitchin, the racing was good, but other than that their out of their minds" Cheapest seats 45 bucks, 25 bucks to park, NO food in the parking lot, no bbq's, KFC, nothing. More cops than ever before, 15 dollar beers, 12 dollars for a program but they ran out because "they only printed 10,00" ? 32 dollar hats ? No wonder the tv audience is growing. I'm surprised it sold out honestly because I know of bunch of hard core fans who are done shelling out that kind of cheese
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/9/2018 10:57am
I'm with you, Sumdood. I used to love going to the races (still do,) but I'm over dropping two hundy just to get my family parked and into the stadium. Now instead of hitting 3-4 supercrosses a year, I go to one. (And even that single race is on the fence.)
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
RonSkj wrote:
Most of the people I've talked to will not be watching live much more. But, if you're recording, I guess it still counts.
Nothing counts unless you're randomly selected by Nielsen to track your viewing habits.
Matt Wozney
Those are good numbers. A1 always does well. Hopefully the rest of the series follows that upward trend while other sports have either plateaued or fallen. SX is in a good spot now.
slowgti
1/9/2018 11:16am
Good growth, let's see how the Houston numbers look compared to A1. If they can't retain the viewers it doesn't mean much.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
1/9/2018 11:29am
Falcon wrote:
I'm with you, Sumdood. I used to love going to the races (still do,) but I'm over dropping two hundy just to get my family parked...
I'm with you, Sumdood. I used to love going to the races (still do,) but I'm over dropping two hundy just to get my family parked and into the stadium. Now instead of hitting 3-4 supercrosses a year, I go to one. (And even that single race is on the fence.)
Our regular sx crew has shifted gears to having sx parties in ocotilo and watching the race on the side of a trailer. It's actually cheaper for me and way more fun. Just in our group there's about 20 of us that used to never miss A-1 and usually hit up san diego and one of the other local rounds.
bball35
1/9/2018 11:51am
mauidex wrote:
in TV and advertising land these numbers are pathetic.............they are fantastic for year over year growth so thats a good selling point!!!
In terms of live sports these numbers are good and will probably be FS1 top program for the week.
Johnny Depp
1/9/2018 1:02pm
Format change? Luck? It's not likely to accidentally stumble across the channel on cable with hundreds of choices, it appears to be an intended destination. It was also a late start for most of the U.S. and that is a negative factor.
gt80rider
1/9/2018 1:12pm
cameron96 wrote:
Give it another year or 2 of double digit growth some moneys coming to the sport. Year to year growth like this is gonna open some...
I've been saying for a long time that SX would no bullshit make a perfect replacement in mainstream television for NASCAR. Nobody can relate to NASCAR anymore, but they sure can SX. Supercross is more extreme, more "youthful", and is actually something that mainstreamers would watch before the same old roundy round NASCAR they are bored of..
motomx88
1/9/2018 1:19pm
With all the social media the riders do, i would think there would be more viewers. The riders do so much advertising for sx. They deserve much more then they receive imo
Motofinne
1/9/2018 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 1:20pm
cameron96 wrote:
gt80rider wrote:
I've been saying for a long time that SX would no bullshit make a perfect replacement in mainstream television for NASCAR. Nobody can relate to NASCAR...
I've been saying for a long time that SX would no bullshit make a perfect replacement in mainstream television for NASCAR. Nobody can relate to NASCAR anymore, but they sure can SX. Supercross is more extreme, more "youthful", and is actually something that mainstreamers would watch before the same old roundy round NASCAR they are bored of..
I have very little experience of NASCAR since i'm from Europe and no one outside USA watches it.

I'm able to watch it through my streaming service, i tried two times. Both times they started with having a priest praying infront of everyone. I as an atheist laughed and shut it down immediately(i have no problem with religious people so don't freak out). I'm just not going to watch something like that.

My understanding is that the NASCAR audience is relatively old? Our audience is relatively young? Like you say. SX would be so cheap for some of the big corporations. I know that Matthes often talks about what the teams would do for a 1 million title sponsor, unspeakable things. But they aren't here for some reason, i wonder why...
mauidex
1/9/2018 1:24pm
gt80rider wrote:
I've been saying for a long time that SX would no bullshit make a perfect replacement in mainstream television for NASCAR. Nobody can relate to NASCAR...
right............and for bball 35 these were for both sports openers.........as I said pathetic

Key 2017 DAYTONA 500 highlights are below:

• The race averaged 11.922 million viewers on FOX, up +5% over 2016's average audience of 11.357 million, peaking at 14.031 million viewers from 6:15-6:30 PM ET
• The DAYTONA 500 scored a 6.6/15 HH rating, which is flat overall compared to the 2016 edition but delivers positive gains across key male and adult demographics:

Daytona 500
DEMOGRAPHIC YEAR-OVER-YEAR HH RATING VS 2016
Men 18-34 +10% 2.2 vs 2.0 (ties a four-year high)
Men 18-49 +9% 3.7 vs 3.4
Men 25-54 +4% 5.2 vs 5.0
Adults 18-34 +13% 1.8 vs 1.6 (ties a four-year high)
Adults 18-49 +4% 2.8 vs 2.7
Adults 25-54 +3% 3.9 vs 3.8
• The race projects to rank as the highest-rated and most-watched sports event of the weekend and the highest-rated and most-watched sports event since the Feb. 5 Super Bowl on FOX
• The DAYTONA 500 projects to rank as FOX's highest-rated and most-watched telecast of any kind since Super Bowl Sunday
• The race continues to remain the No. 1 motor sports event in television
• Top-Five Markets: Core NASCAR markets led the way with Greensboro, N.C., finishing first with a 17.5/31, followed by Greenville, S.C. (16.5/28), Indianapolis (14.4/26), Knoxville, Tenn. (12.7/22) and Jacksonville, Fla. (12.4/22). Markets that experienced the largest year-over-year increases include Austin, Texas (+111%), San Diego (+74%), Oklahoma City (+49%) and Norfolk, Va. (+47%). Yesterday's race also saw significant gains in America's biggest markets, including Chicago (+18%), Philadelphia (+32%), Washington, D.C. (+18%) and Atlanta (+20%).

(Fox Sports)

early
Fantasy
2212th
1/9/2018 1:25pm
Gotta wonder where these numbers come from, if they are just Nielsen ratings or a combination with the Fox GO app, sling tv, psvue and international streaming?
JustMX
1/9/2018 2:00pm
I may catch flack for this but I believe that supercross might be better packaged as a 1 hour highlight show for repeats.

Statistics that would be interesting would be how many are dvring the live show and ffING through all the fluff.

With the new format there is even less racing but still have to sit through 3 hours. What non fan is going to do that on a regular basis.

Highlight the good racing in the heats and lcqs. Cut out everything but the main interviews and trackside stuff with rc and other and show the mains without commercials.

It would be a great show for the general public that are not going to sit through a 3 hour show for an hour of actual racing.
Fourth_Floor
1/9/2018 2:23pm
JustMX wrote:
I may catch flack for this but I believe that supercross might be better packaged as a 1 hour highlight show for repeats. Statistics that would...
I may catch flack for this but I believe that supercross might be better packaged as a 1 hour highlight show for repeats.

Statistics that would be interesting would be how many are dvring the live show and ffING through all the fluff.

With the new format there is even less racing but still have to sit through 3 hours. What non fan is going to do that on a regular basis.

Highlight the good racing in the heats and lcqs. Cut out everything but the main interviews and trackside stuff with rc and other and show the mains without commercials.

It would be a great show for the general public that are not going to sit through a 3 hour show for an hour of actual racing.
no
cameron96
1/9/2018 2:26pm
JustMX wrote:
I may catch flack for this but I believe that supercross might be better packaged as a 1 hour highlight show for repeats. Statistics that would...

Ya I always wondered why the replays I get are full 3 hour shows

Perhaps they should develop a 1 hour show, they used to back in the day with CBS I recall

Be cool if the show was more intuitive tho. Like had a sportscentre feel to it. And every week counted down a top 10 with the history of the sport also showing some good moments and battles from the past

To me that’d be a great way to get new people into it.

But on the downside many people would skip the 3 hour show and just wait for the 1 hour one
Phantom 661
1/9/2018 3:04pm
Motofinne wrote:
I have very little experience of NASCAR since i'm from Europe and no one outside USA watches it. I'm able to watch it through my streaming...
I have very little experience of NASCAR since i'm from Europe and no one outside USA watches it.

I'm able to watch it through my streaming service, i tried two times. Both times they started with having a priest praying infront of everyone. I as an atheist laughed and shut it down immediately(i have no problem with religious people so don't freak out). I'm just not going to watch something like that.

My understanding is that the NASCAR audience is relatively old? Our audience is relatively young? Like you say. SX would be so cheap for some of the big corporations. I know that Matthes often talks about what the teams would do for a 1 million title sponsor, unspeakable things. But they aren't here for some reason, i wonder why...
NASCAR is an old Motorsport with many traditions. Prayer before race is one of them. I really haven't followed the sport now for quite a few years. Its too ever changing for me. I'm still tuning into SX/MX with a passion though.
I'm hoping they can keep attendance and viewership up and increase rider payouts as well.

Post a reply to: A1 TV Ratings | Big growth

The Latest