A newfound respect for HS riders!

EastFlorida
Edited Date/Time 11/3/2012 6:39am
I ran my 1st HS this past weekend. I never knew how tough it was. My respect level for the guys riding HS most weekends has gone through the roof!

Sorry, non-moto....
|
peelout
10/29/2012 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2012 4:09pm
I ran my 1st HS this past weekend. I never knew how tough it was. My respect level for the guys riding HS most weekends has...
I ran my 1st HS this past weekend. I never knew how tough it was. My respect level for the guys riding HS most weekends has gone through the roof!

Sorry, non-moto....
are you talking Hare Scramble?

i fucking LOVE riding hare scrambles and desert all together

the bro mentality of motocross is pretty close to non-existent out there

how did you do and what class did you ride?
EastFlorida
10/29/2012 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2012 4:15pm
I ran my 1st HS this past weekend. I never knew how tough it was. My respect level for the guys riding HS most weekends has...

Sorry, non-moto....
peelout wrote:
are you talking Hare Scramble? i fucking LOVE riding hare scrambles and desert all together the bro mentality of motocross is pretty close to non-existent out...
are you talking Hare Scramble?

i fucking LOVE riding hare scrambles and desert all together

the bro mentality of motocross is pretty close to non-existent out there

how did you do and what class did you ride?
Peeley,

Yep, Hare Scrambles. I came "off the couch" for this one. Out of shape and a friend talked me into going. I had just revived a well worn '04 YZ250 and hadn't event ridden it more than 15 mins.

I holeshot the start but did my best javelin impression about the 3 mile mark after clipping a tree. Ripped the right radiator shroud half way off.

Second lap, I'm arm pumped beyond belief! Clipped another tree in a Florida whoop section and whisky throttle into the trees! They had to haul me out on a 4 wheeler and send a crew to get my bike. It looks like I never fixed it. All the new plastic is trashed! Front fender ripped off, bars pushed down to the tank and the tree was uprooted...

Honestly I was very lucky. This was the first time I have ever been scared. This wreck was one of those where you had time to think about it and I knew it was going to be bad. My head hit a tree, it ran down my neck and I rag dolled like a helicopter. I'm soooo sore I could barely make it in to work...

When I heal up, I'm getting back in shape, fixing the bike and going back out there!

The people/community were soooo nice and helpful. I like these people....
Titan1
10/29/2012 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2012 4:18pm

Sorry, non-moto....
A buddy of mine always said "don't knock it till you've tried it"....I tried it, and haven't done a motocross race since.

I LOVE Hare Scrambles and Hare & Hounds.

Racing Moto, I'd pay $55...get a 10 minute practice and then two 4 lap moto's...(what? 20, 30 minutes of track time??) In the desert, I pay $55, and get 2 to 3 hours a "track" time...

I'm glad you liked it! Heal up...then do more of them!
Manbearpig
10/29/2012 4:21pm
Peeley, Yep, Hare Scrambles. I came "off the couch" for this one. Out of shape and a friend talked me into going. I had just revived...
Peeley,

Yep, Hare Scrambles. I came "off the couch" for this one. Out of shape and a friend talked me into going. I had just revived a well worn '04 YZ250 and hadn't event ridden it more than 15 mins.

I holeshot the start but did my best javelin impression about the 3 mile mark after clipping a tree. Ripped the right radiator shroud half way off.

Second lap, I'm arm pumped beyond belief! Clipped another tree in a Florida whoop section and whisky throttle into the trees! They had to haul me out on a 4 wheeler and send a crew to get my bike. It looks like I never fixed it. All the new plastic is trashed! Front fender ripped off, bars pushed down to the tank and the tree was uprooted...

Honestly I was very lucky. This was the first time I have ever been scared. This wreck was one of those where you had time to think about it and I knew it was going to be bad. My head hit a tree, it ran down my neck and I rag dolled like a helicopter. I'm soooo sore I could barely make it in to work...

When I heal up, I'm getting back in shape, fixing the bike and going back out there!

The people/community were soooo nice and helpful. I like these people....
Man that is brutal!

Get healed up soon. My first desert race was in 93 on a cr125 and I crashed 14 times and managed to still finish 2nd novice 125. haha Holy shit what memories though. Laughing

Im glad you made it in atleast a few pieces though.

The Shop

peelout
10/29/2012 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2012 4:26pm
that's what it's all about man, riding the scrambles is just enjoyable.

i came out with close to no time on the bike to a Knolls Knockdown race a few years ago and ended up 3rd Open Ex and i want to say 8th overall. time of my life, but holy shit i was beat up.

good stuff, heal up and get after it.

my goal is to race at least 3 or 4 next season, too much fun and the people at the races are top notch
Titan1
10/29/2012 4:37pm
peelout wrote:
that's what it's all about man, riding the scrambles is just enjoyable. i came out with close to no time on the bike to a Knolls...
that's what it's all about man, riding the scrambles is just enjoyable.

i came out with close to no time on the bike to a Knolls Knockdown race a few years ago and ended up 3rd Open Ex and i want to say 8th overall. time of my life, but holy shit i was beat up.

good stuff, heal up and get after it.

my goal is to race at least 3 or 4 next season, too much fun and the people at the races are top notch
Let me know which you plan to race...I race 5 or 6 or 7 a year (as many as my schedule will allow). My favorites (if you're wondering) the Rhino Rally in St George in February...the Firebirds race at Cherry Creek in March/April...the Spencer Scramble in Yost Utah in October...and the Johnny Rock Classic in Indianola on Halloween (accept this year...they cancelled it because of the fires down there). Those are my "can't miss" races every year. Others that I try and hit are the WhirlWind 100 just outside of Delta in March/April, and Wendover...and the "charity race" (but it was cancelled this year) which has been in Mona.

All good times though...
EastFlorida
10/29/2012 4:40pm
I've got to tell you, when I went down, a rider in my class stopped and stayed with me for about 5 minutes until I could breathe, talk and move. He stopped other riders and had them send course marshals to help. When I was "OK", I told him to continue and almost every rider that went by stopped to ask if I was OK or needed help.

AMAZING!
ty159
10/29/2012 4:44pm
FTR is the best family racing atmosphere I've been around! Great people who are usually willing to help anyone, even their toughest competitor.
EastFlorida
10/29/2012 4:53pm
ty159 wrote:
FTR is the best family racing atmosphere I've been around! Great people who are usually willing to help anyone, even their toughest competitor.
Ty,

I was SOOOO impressed with everyone! They deserve a lot of credit, as do all the families that are out there. I was shocked how well everyone "played" together.

Anyone coming down for the winter, you need to hit an FTR event - HS, MX, Enduro...
mjskier
10/29/2012 4:56pm
Every HS scramble I race, by 1.5 hrs I hate life and question my sanity for entering one. By 2 hours I'm ready to sell the bike and give up riding, especially when it comes time to load the bike and I can't move.
By the following day I'm counting days to the next race :-)
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
10/29/2012 5:43pm
ty159 wrote:
It's not just FTR scramblers...the whole HS culture is different than MX. It's not unusual for the whole family to race the different classes throughout the day...even some of the moms. I race in Ohio...CRA harescrambles, been doing it since 2006 and love it.
JustinL
10/29/2012 6:04pm
ty159 wrote:
Ty, I was SOOOO impressed with everyone! They deserve a lot of credit, as do all the families that are out there. I was shocked how...
Ty,

I was SOOOO impressed with everyone! They deserve a lot of credit, as do all the families that are out there. I was shocked how well everyone "played" together.

Anyone coming down for the winter, you need to hit an FTR event - HS, MX, Enduro...
I'm planning on doing the next one in Bartow. I've heard it's one of the most fun FTR races out there. Are you going to be healed up in time to head to that one too?

Matt Boni is racing FTR's AA class and I think Kyle Keylon has made a few races as well (see video).

umagumadog
10/29/2012 6:12pm
mjskier wrote:
Every HS scramble I race, by 1.5 hrs I hate life and question my sanity for entering one. By 2 hours I'm ready to sell the...
Every HS scramble I race, by 1.5 hrs I hate life and question my sanity for entering one. By 2 hours I'm ready to sell the bike and give up riding, especially when it comes time to load the bike and I can't move.
lol I know exactly what you are saying. My friends and I used to say it was the most "quit" sport on earth. Every Sunday we all "quit" and by Tuesday at the latest we had started back Smile
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
10/29/2012 6:19pm
Love it!!!! It's completely different world out in the woods, and egos leave once you see someone is down and hurt. Glad you are somewhat okay after that crash and are willing to give it another go.
EastFlorida
10/29/2012 6:28pm
ty159 wrote:
Ty, I was SOOOO impressed with everyone! They deserve a lot of credit, as do all the families that are out there. I was shocked how...
Ty,

JustinL wrote:
I'm planning on doing the next one in Bartow. I've heard it's one of the most fun FTR races out there. Are you going to be...
I'm planning on doing the next one in Bartow. I've heard it's one of the most fun FTR races out there. Are you going to be healed up in time to head to that one too?

Matt Boni is racing FTR's AA class and I think Kyle Keylon has made a few races as well (see video).

Justin,

I have a bad crank seal that was sucking out all the oil and spooging out the silencer! I need to get that fixed (if not a total bottom end rebuild) and get on a training program. If I can fix the bike, I'll be there no matter that I haven't started a training regiment!

Do you plan to hit the Samsula event Nov 17-18?
EastFlorida
10/29/2012 6:31pm
ty159 wrote:
It's not just FTR scramblers...the whole HS culture is different than MX. It's not unusual for the whole family to race the different classes throughout the...
It's not just FTR scramblers...the whole HS culture is different than MX. It's not unusual for the whole family to race the different classes throughout the day...even some of the moms. I race in Ohio...CRA harescrambles, been doing it since 2006 and love it.
I saw exactly what you described! Why such a difference? MX is much better for spectators, but I believe there is a better rider "bond" in HS. It was so cool and it has revived my interest to ride! I saw Dad, Son, Daughter and Mother ride in 1 day. It was refreshing. Also, a HUGE turn out compared to a local MX race...even with a hurricane passing by!
wardy
10/29/2012 6:46pm
many times in HS racing you could be "saved" by another rider if you are hurt bad. The riders know this. Some times you can be 2 miles from the parking lot. I have seen riders quit racing and stay with and help down riders at many HS races. THe other nice thing about it, not as many big crashes and or issues like that. THe danger in HS racing is different. One thing that won't happen, is you won't get landed on if you don't jump a 100' triple.

My kids took this sport up, I have motoed for 30+ years, after one year of racing mx and the kids and mom went HS racing was enough, dad joined in. It's been alot of fun. I love moto, but woods is a ton of fun.

we have doing a combination race type series this year here in IL called GP. those combine woods, grass track, and moto. Best of both worlds and alot of fun too.
EastFlorida
10/29/2012 7:05pm
Wardy,

I saw that myself. The first guy to stop and help me must have lost over 5 minutes until assistance arrived. He only left when I told him to continue. Almost everyone slowed or stopped to ask if I was OK or needed help. I waved them on when I knew help was on the way.

This was a great experience and I know I'll stop for anyone, regardless of the position I may be in (leading or last). Great community...

We did have 1 rider airlifted out, but word is he'll be OK...
exsarg
10/29/2012 8:49pm
i race a dozen races a year. mx and hs. hs are much funner. its so satisfying just to finish. i dont care about how well i d0.just finishing is so satisfying. the range of emotions you go through are unreal. get stuck . fall over on a bareley climable hill. get passed by a 60 year old. then a 15 year old. then pass them back --- 5 times. pure fun and a physical challenge beyond mx. love it!!!!!
josh8811
10/29/2012 9:06pm
Utah desert rat here. I make it to 3-5 per year and it's an Incredible experience. Finishing some of the local nationals is by far the most physically and mentally demanding thing I've done in my life..
steed 2.0
10/30/2012 3:47am
for many It took only one event to get hooked for life

jamma10
10/30/2012 3:55am
mjskier wrote:
Every HS scramble I race, by 1.5 hrs I hate life and question my sanity for entering one. By 2 hours I'm ready to sell the...
x2

I do 3 hour Hare & Hound races and I struggle to walk for about three days afterwards.
JustinL
10/30/2012 6:13am
Justin, I have a bad crank seal that was sucking out all the oil and spooging out the silencer! I need to get that fixed (if...
Justin,

I have a bad crank seal that was sucking out all the oil and spooging out the silencer! I need to get that fixed (if not a total bottom end rebuild) and get on a training program. If I can fix the bike, I'll be there no matter that I haven't started a training regiment!

Do you plan to hit the Samsula event Nov 17-18?
I highly doubt I'll race that one. They make the course so tight that it's like an enduro. I did it a few years ago and wound up throwing up afterwords from dehydration. It was 90% 1st/2nd gear. The only good part was leading for 1/2 a lap because everyone decided to pile in single file behind a stuck rider while I rode around them!
EbarDP48
10/30/2012 7:01am
I was pulled back into HS last year and ran three FTR events and really enjoyed it. It's nice to pay your money and get to ride for 2 plus hours.
It was the first time since the early 80s that I'd run a HS. I ran the first HS (Master B ) of the 2012-13 schedule in Bartow this year but because of business or other issues, I'll miss the 2nd, 3rd and 4th event. I look forward to the 5th event in Myakka City on 12-01-12.
FYI, if you chose to dust off your current moto ride and enter a HS (FTR at least) you'll need to make sure and have/buy a spark arrestor/cap and make sure you go ahead and buy a set of bark busters. I chose not to and while leading my first event last year, I clipped a tree. Didn't crash and finished that race, but I could barely pull my clutch in and had to cut my wedding ring off after the race. Take a look at the picture and make your own decision.
Bert

EastFlorida
10/30/2012 7:43am
Bert,

Yeah, I have the FMF Turbine Core Spark Arrestor and bark busters installed. Had I not, my hand might have looked like yours.

Justin, found the parts I needed and I'm trying to plan on riding Bartow. I still won't be in shape, but I feel better today and I'll start running tomorrow (that's the plan anyway).

I got your PM, sounds like a good plan. Are you on the FTR forums too?

Shaun
JeepnMike
10/30/2012 8:21am
Looks like you got lucky your collarbone is still intact there too. You got balls for just getting up and going for it like that!
dcg141
10/30/2012 8:21am
I do both and love both. I will get bored and want something different. I do more woods so my tracks skills are usually rusty but I still have fun. Definatly a different vibe in the woods. The last few years I've been doing the LACC down in Louisiana. Its kind of a hybrid with some grass track and alot of the venues have a MX track. Sprinkle in some optional extreme sections and tight woods and its a fun event. This weekend I'm going to ride the Loretta's GNCC round on Sat and do a local MX on Sunday.
EbarDP48
10/30/2012 8:57am

Shaun,
I'm on the FTR forum as well. Let me know if you plan on going to the Myakka City HS on 12-1 and maybe we can hook up and head down. I'm near Clermont.
Wish I could make it to Bartow, but I've had some other things come up on that date that I have to do.

On another HS note, FTR also has a MX series. I suggested this summer that FTR do a combined Moto/HS/Enduro scoring and crown a champion much like they used to do in the old Grand National series where you had to participate in Road Racing, Oval Dirt Track and TT.
That would be a neat concept to participate in as I enjoy doing all forms of riding/racing these days.
Bert
PC
10/30/2012 9:28am
I'm far more into XC/GP racing than I am local MX. I love MX, but its expensive, you dont get much track time and one screw up can cost you the race. A 60 mile GP, on the hand, makes for lots of seat time and plenty of time to make up for mistakes.

And there's not much better than passing 10 guys at once while they're stuck in a bottleneck. Damn, do I want to go racing now....

Respect!
EastFlorida
10/30/2012 9:43am
EbarDP48 wrote:
[b][u] [i]I got your PM, sounds like a good plan. Are you on the FTR forums too? [/i][/u][/b] Shaun, I'm on the FTR forum as well...

Shaun,
I'm on the FTR forum as well. Let me know if you plan on going to the Myakka City HS on 12-1 and maybe we can hook up and head down. I'm near Clermont.
Wish I could make it to Bartow, but I've had some other things come up on that date that I have to do.

On another HS note, FTR also has a MX series. I suggested this summer that FTR do a combined Moto/HS/Enduro scoring and crown a champion much like they used to do in the old Grand National series where you had to participate in Road Racing, Oval Dirt Track and TT.
That would be a neat concept to participate in as I enjoy doing all forms of riding/racing these days.
Bert
Bert,

I'll ride until it gets too cold! Once my hands and toes get cold, I'm done! Ha Ha.. I moved down from NC back in 1995 to get away from cold...

I like your idea of a combined scoring champion. Like you, I'd like to participate in all 3 disciplines. I've never ridden an Enduro, so I imagine that will be yet another learning curve. Has the suggestion been officially presented to the FTR for consideration? It's my understanding that this year they just reintroduced the MX series.

I'll try to hit as many races as I can and I'd like the company. Right now, I'm going solo as I didn't have my sons last weekend as planned. Do you know Pete Rose? He was the one responsible for talking me into this last race. For that I thank and curse him at the same time!

Post a reply to: A newfound respect for HS riders!

The Latest