A little less love for Herlings..

philG
5/5/2014 3:42am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2014 6:17am
..just back from the GP in valkenswaard, and have to say I was surprised at the atmosphere, or rather lack of it. Loads of fans decked out in Jeremy van hoorebeek stuff, but the Herlings fans seemed thin on the ground , almost like they are as fed up of him winning as the rest of the Mx 2 class.

Was a great weekend , emx125 full 40 rider qualified grid sure makes for a tight field, and the track was good as always , just nowhere near as deep as it usually is in march when the. GP normally runs.
|
jamma10
5/5/2014 3:52am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 3:52am
I'd like to know how the hell van Hoorebeek improved so dramatically? Is it the Yamaha or is he just better suited to a 450?

I mean, he was always a pretty good 250 rider but the guy hasn't finished outside of the top 5 so far this season and sits 2nd in the MXGP class with eight podiums!
5/5/2014 4:05am
I watched it yesterday. The guys were flying on a track that was brutal and looked exactly like an unkempt Florida sand track. How Cairoli pulls those 450s is just amazing.
philG
5/5/2014 4:21am
He is a smooth rider, and not a small guy, 450 is his thing I think... But I can't wait to see Tonus on a 450, he makes Everts look ragged, the TV coverage doesn't even comes close to showing how good he is .

Most impressive rider of the weekend for me was Nancy Van de Ven, sixteen years old and 5ft nothing, clearing the huge step down on a 125 Yamaha , running top 5 in a fast women's class.

The Shop

shredder22
5/5/2014 4:32am
Phil, isn't Cairoli on a 350?
I'm pretty sure you're correct. As far as I know he's on a 350
wow123
5/5/2014 4:40am
links are showing love guys?

yeah go look yourself fair enough butKissing
philG
5/5/2014 4:48am
Yes, but it sounds nothing like any of the others, Karro , and Rattray are also on 350's and they are nothing like the factory one.

That said Rattray rides his like a 250, so it wont,but I think Cairoli just has a bike that has everything he needs and nothing more.
philG
5/5/2014 4:53am
wow123 wrote:
links are showing love guys?

yeah go look yourself fair enough butKissing
I was at Lierop 2 years ago when he lapped up to second, and again last year, the whole place was rammed with Herlings fans , flags , t shirts and everything, and that's 15 minutes down the road from Valkenswaard .

Maybe the 70 euro entry kept them away.
MBR
5/5/2014 5:31am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 5:47am
philG, did you pay any attention to EMX150 class? My team riders Jere Haavisto (#42), Matias Murto (#25) & Tatu Junnola (#15) placed first, third and fifth. Track was brutal on second race and some of the doubles and that one step-up were quite a stretch on CRF150 Smile

philG
5/5/2014 6:02am
yeah, watched both races , I don't know what you fed your guys on Saturday night, after rick Elsinger ran away with moto 1 , I didn't expect that at all on Sunday, hoping Albie Wilkie can step it up on the hard pack tracks.
PressPassP
5/5/2014 8:53am
Great GP,the first MX2 race was superb especially

Herlings is obviously expected to win by a big margin,he's definately something else to watch but after a while the spectacle must fade,he really has to go MX1 next year,if you say he had less fans now he could lose a few more
philG
5/5/2014 9:22am
Romain febvre was on it all weekend, just a shame Tonus crashed in the first Moto,he went down , made up 10 places , then went down again, and still came through, think it burned him out though, as he didn't have anything to go with the Herlings .
Brent
5/5/2014 9:36am
Cairoli is on a 350, at least thats what they claim. That thing must have a space shuttle engine in it, I cant believe the starts he gets.

In the second moto he looked like he was shot out of a gun, and from the inside too.
5/5/2014 11:25am
I think in general that the culture of supporters showing the affiliation to their favorite riders has flattened down.I have great memories of the 90's where huge groups of supporters of Everts,Bervoets.... were present at the GP's.Yesterday i could count on 10 fingers the belgium supporters who i saw ocasional.In the past the supporters were wearing the same colored jackets and could be seen at over 100yards.The best memories nowadays were in the fan bloc of Ken Roczen in Teutschenthal.
MBR
5/5/2014 11:46am
philG wrote:
yeah, watched both races , I don't know what you fed your guys on Saturday night, after rick Elsinger ran away with moto 1 , I...
yeah, watched both races , I don't know what you fed your guys on Saturday night, after rick Elsinger ran away with moto 1 , I didn't expect that at all on Sunday, hoping Albie Wilkie can step it up on the hard pack tracks.
We changed suspension settings a little bit, but we watched video footage from the race and they took too much time on passing slower riders. We told our guys that they have to be upfront within first lap or Elzinger is gone. Jere was really pissed that he lost the first race and he rode a much better on Sunday. Matterley Basin is going to tough since Albie has probably ridden there "a few" times and he seems a lot more comfortable on hard pack. Here is first few laps from Saturday's race:
5/5/2014 11:49am
That track was ROUGH.... I think GP riders would tell you it's more difficult than a Lommel or a Lierop.

I believe that if it was up to Herlings, he would be in MX1 next year.... It's not entirely up to him though. I don't think Cairoli and his entourage want him in the same truck.
rompin87
5/5/2014 12:47pm
Where do people keep getting this 'cairoli dont want herlings in mx1' shit from?
I've never heard him say it or read anywhere that he's afraid of herlings.
I was at lommel for the 2012 mxdn and from where I was standing cairoli handled that race like it was Sunday afternoon practice session, he watched herlings close down on him all the way then when herlings got there he put his head down, never looked back, an took the flag with ease.
Don't get me wrong herlings rode like an absolute hero to come from that far back and catch tony but for me cairoli done what cairoli does and used his racing brain to perfection.
In my opinion cairoli has never been and probably never will be afraid/scared to do battle with herlings.
5/5/2014 12:49pm
The MX1 KTM team is run by Tony's Italian Entourage.
PastranaWho
5/5/2014 1:35pm
Paulin out with broken thumb and collarbone, bummer since hes the only one that can challenge tony. Its going to be a zzzzzz rest of the year. Herlings rumor is he might stay in mx2 2015 another zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
philG
5/5/2014 2:23pm
philG wrote:
yeah, watched both races , I don't know what you fed your guys on Saturday night, after rick Elsinger ran away with moto 1 , I...
MBR wrote:
We changed suspension settings a little bit, but we watched video footage from the race and they took too much time on passing slower riders. We...
We changed suspension settings a little bit, but we watched video footage from the race and they took too much time on passing slower riders. We told our guys that they have to be upfront within first lap or Elzinger is gone. Jere was really pissed that he lost the first race and he rode a much better on Sunday. Matterley Basin is going to tough since Albie has probably ridden there "a few" times and he seems a lot more comfortable on hard pack. Here is first few laps from Saturday's race:
We are stood at the beer tent , 1.58 in , with the MX1 drinking team guys...

Matterley isn't hard pack , it's ripped deep, and well watered , gets rough and rutted , but here is never a shortage of grip,.

Unless Wilkie has ridden there before it the euro 65 or 85 races , I don't think he will have ridden there either , it gets used for the GP only and one other meeting a year , that's all.

Ethan Winchester and Callum Green will be faster there for sure , but your guys all did well, I think between the 6 of them there will be a rider that can make use of the prize, last years guy wasn't big enough to ride a 250
5/5/2014 4:46pm
Who's Herlings?
He's the kid who called another kid a "cunt" on live television and immediately earned my respect.
The Rock
5/5/2014 10:17pm
I watched it yesterday. The guys were flying on a track that was brutal and looked exactly like an unkempt Florida sand track. How Cairoli pulls...
I watched it yesterday. The guys were flying on a track that was brutal and looked exactly like an unkempt Florida sand track. How Cairoli pulls those 450s is just amazing.
Valkenswaard is one GP track I would love to ride on.
The Rock
5/5/2014 10:20pm
Dart Board wrote:
That track was ROUGH.... I think GP riders would tell you it's more difficult than a Lommel or a Lierop. I believe that if it was...
That track was ROUGH.... I think GP riders would tell you it's more difficult than a Lommel or a Lierop.

I believe that if it was up to Herlings, he would be in MX1 next year.... It's not entirely up to him though. I don't think Cairoli and his entourage want him in the same truck.
I think you are underestimating how deep the Lommel sand is. I haven't been to Lerop but have the other two facilities and there is no comparison between the sand at each track. I've never seen a track like Lommel but Valkenswaard reminded me of Mammoth before practice.
5/5/2014 11:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 11:05pm
I've done both Lommel and Lierop multiple times. I don't want to know how rough Lommel is during a GP...
Lierop is still my favorite track, but only because Neeroeteren is gone. Sickest track I've been on.
ayearinmx
5/6/2014 2:04am
Dart Board wrote:
That track was ROUGH.... I think GP riders would tell you it's more difficult than a Lommel or a Lierop. I believe that if it was...

Valkenswaard is nowhere near as rough as Lierop or Lommel..... and to back that up, Romain Febvre, who came second overall in the MX2 class was running hard-pack tyres....Huh

Post a reply to: A little less love for Herlings..

The Latest