A little help needed in CA

Related:
Create New Tag

6/28/2019 1:40 PM

Yes, it's California being California. Another senseless 'commission' using pseudo science to recommend closing the Pismo Dunes.
Anyone willing to sign the petition and share it would be a helpful step. There's more info also on attending meetings and sending emails.

Petition Link

|

6/28/2019 2:17 PM

I sent an email earlier this week, and signed the petition as well!

Everyone should jump in on this to get a hefty amount of emails and signatures so these Political Barney's get the hint.

|

6/28/2019 2:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2019 2:42 PM

Signed!

|

6/28/2019 2:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2019 2:57 PM

HuskyEd wrote:

Signed!

Signed. Would really be a shame to see it close..

http://chng.it/2kWTmK6KSz
|

6/28/2019 2:51 PM

Signed.

I'm still waiting for a carbon tax on people with a high VO2 max... ermm You know that shit is coming too.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/28/2019 3:12 PM

Signed

|

6/28/2019 4:48 PM

Thanks guys!
Yesterday it was at 1500 and now we're over 60000.

|

6/28/2019 4:57 PM

Done.

|

6/28/2019 5:31 PM

Ditto

Sis and Mom are in Santa Maria... wouldn't know what to do without cruisin the dunes while visiting.

|

6/29/2019 8:03 AM

Done.

|

6/29/2019 8:25 AM

Done. I’ve only been there once, it would be a shame to lose it.

|

6/29/2019 8:43 AM

Signed

|

6/29/2019 8:51 AM

KirkChandler wrote:

Done. I’ve only been there once, it would be a shame to lose it.

Yeah, it's only a little over a 2 hour drive for me. Grew up there riding in buggies and then riding 3-wheelers and an odyssey when I was 12. Lots of great memories.
I've been kicking around getting a 4 seater SxS or other toys so I can take my kids more often...but this could ruin that dream.

|

6/29/2019 9:12 AM

Skuzzy29 wrote:

Yes, it's California being California. Another senseless 'commission' using pseudo science to recommend closing the Pismo Dunes.
Anyone willing to sign the petition and share it would be a helpful step. There's more info also on attending meetings and sending emails.

Petition Link

I think there is certainly a middle ground that can be reached, I’m hoping they go that route instead of complete closure. Oceano Dunes is the busiest park in the CA system. That says something. With all of the $$ that the camping and day use fees bring in i’d be shocked if it closed.

But the science is anything but “pseudo” Skuzzy. Before you start clamoring about liberals and fake “commissions” look into the report. I spend a lot of time up there, my parents have a place in Pismo, and there have been days you come around the bend from Santa Maria and the air quality is noticeably different. There is nothing pseudo about that. They have spent years documenting and studying it. The town has grown and developement to the south in Nipomo has really added fuel to the fire as more residents have been complaining. That’s the real problem here and we see it over and over in riding areas in CA. Development is the threat, not Commissions.

As a lifelong surfer, i’m very familiar with the CCC and they do tons of good. Without their efforts, public access to beaches for everyday Joes like you and me would be blocked by Billionaires that buy up beach front property. I share your same frustration and I enjoy riding the dunes as well, but you can’t deny that it has become a shit show out there. Ever since they closed the southern part and decreased the OHV area it puts too many people in too small of an area IMO.

Perhaps a simple solution is decreasing the number of daily permits they give out. Less people = less dust and environmental impact. Seems like a win-win.

|

6/29/2019 9:23 AM

Signed, thanks for posting. Bucket list to make it up there after seeing this...

?start=191
|

6/29/2019 9:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2019 9:35 AM

These fucking libs.....

Put all of us riders loosing a riding spot out of the equation.... do they even stop to think for one second how DEVASTATING that would be to all the people who make their living off of those dunes?

No, they don’t. They sit in their million dollar compounds and need a “cause” to rally around....they already took Zaca, never woulda thought they would go for the dunes

Anyways, signed

|

shit'll buff out

6/29/2019 9:39 AM

I lived up there for 5 years a long time ago. You could ride and drive all along the beach between the ramps with no hassle as long as you obeyed the laws. Never noticed any long lasting environmental damage.
Rode and drove all through the dunes for years and more people then than now and other than a few idiots no lasting environmental damage before the closed it to limited areas which caused more damage because they only had a small area open. Long before they built all the home and people became so uptight it was fun.
The hotels were always booked and the restaurants and gas stations and stores made a ton of money. Take that away what’s the cities losses.
I use to make money towing people out and so did others and you take that away.
Closing will do more damage to the Central Coast than policing it.
I don’t want to see environmental damage done and with the dunes always changing because of the weather it will always change but the actions of a few can hurt the lives of thousands.

|

6/29/2019 9:51 AM

Signed.

Another reason I would never live in CA.

|

6/29/2019 10:02 AM

Signed.

|

6/29/2019 10:04 AM

Signed,great place for camping and riding,can get a little crowded on some weekends though.

|

6/29/2019 10:07 AM

Signed.

Another reason I want to leave CA.

|

6/29/2019 10:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2019 10:33 AM

Skuzzy - I just took your tone about California being California as having a certain political bias, my bad.

The inconclusive studies are from the State Park, not the CCC. The real point of this whole fiasco is being overlooked here. It's essentially 2 opposing government agencies: State Parks vs CCC. The CCC came out and said “We think OHV use is just not something that is appropriately a use out there...We just don’t see how OHV use can be squared with the local coastal plan.” (quote from the SLO article above)

State Parks have been working on their own plan that would actually add access to the dunes through a new southern entrance. CCC does not like this plan at all and thats basically what brought about this review of the OHV permit.

While I stand by my position that the CCC has done more good than harm over the years, they're not without the typical political BS and controversy. Several commissioners have been removed/fined/prosecuted over the years for taking bribes and other shady stuff. There's a lot of power to be had in who decides what and where development goes.

Speaking of money...as with most things in life and politics I think it will come back to dollars. Like I said in my previous post there is WAY too much money to be lost ($24.3 Million/year to the county) if this goes through. A close family friend owns a cafe in town and local businesses do not want this either.

|

6/29/2019 10:44 AM

moscrop940 wrote:

These fucking libs.....

Put all of us riders loosing a riding spot out of the equation.... do they even stop to think for one second how DEVASTATING that would be to all the people who make their living off of those dunes?

No, they don’t. They sit in their million dollar compounds and need a “cause” to rally around....they already took Zaca, never woulda thought they would go for the dunes

Anyways, signed

Who is "they"? Zaca was on private property and shut down by the owner of that property.

LOL. Your anger and party loyalty is a bit misguided.

|

6/29/2019 11:48 AM

MelonFan123 wrote:

Skuzzy - I just took your tone about California being California as having a certain political bias, my bad.

The inconclusive studies are from the State Park, not the CCC. The real point of this whole fiasco is being overlooked here. It's essentially 2 opposing government agencies: State Parks vs CCC. The CCC came out and said “We think OHV use is just not something that is appropriately a use out there...We just don’t see how OHV use can be squared with the local coastal plan.” (quote from the SLO article above)

State Parks have been working on their own plan that would actually add access to the dunes through a new southern entrance. CCC does not like this plan at all and thats basically what brought about this review of the OHV permit.

While I stand by my position that the CCC has done more good than harm over the years, they're not without the typical political BS and controversy. Several commissioners have been removed/fined/prosecuted over the years for taking bribes and other shady stuff. There's a lot of power to be had in who decides what and where development goes.

Speaking of money...as with most things in life and politics I think it will come back to dollars. Like I said in my previous post there is WAY too much money to be lost ($24.3 Million/year to the county) if this goes through. A close family friend owns a cafe in town and local businesses do not want this either.

California being California because we're constantly making bizarre decisions and yes, it's mostly politically charged. I take every case based on its own merits...but stuff like wanting to close a place we've been enjoying for decades because people move next to it and then complain is frustrating.
We can be stewards of the environment and still enjoy it. They're not mutually exclusive but some seem to think they are and will fight till the end.

...and it's a 243 Million/year impact per the article. It'll cripple that area.

(The Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area and Pismo State Beach collectively generated an estimated economic impact of $243 million in San Luis Obispo County from July 2016 and July 2017, according to a report released by State Parks on Monday.

That’s based on direct spending, indirect spending and induced spending from visitors outside of the county who come to use any facility in the Oceano Dunes District of California State Parks, which offers onshore camping, off-highway vehicle riding and other recreation opportunities with the Monarch Butterfly Grove, Grand Dunes Trail, Pismo Nature Preserve and the new Oceano Dunes District Visitor Center.)

|

7/3/2019 6:22 PM

Thanks to all that have helped! We're over 123,000 signatures now.

|

7/3/2019 6:38 PM

+1

|

My favorite rider is K.C Carlyle

7/3/2019 6:41 PM

moscrop940 wrote:

These fucking libs.....

Anyways, signed

MelonFan123 wrote:

Who is "they"? Zaca was on private property and shut down by the owner of that property.

LOL. Your anger and party loyalty is a bit misguided.

Actually Zaca had been under fire from the county for several years. The owner got tired of fighting with them and threw in the towel.
So his point is valid, if the county wasn’t bothering him, it would still be open.

|

7/3/2019 7:10 PM

Signed. It’s at 124k.

|

7/3/2019 7:25 PM

Done

|

7/3/2019 7:32 PM

Skuzzy29 wrote:

Petition Link

Just bumping the link to the 2nd page.

|