A little help in Sacramento?

Related:
Hammer 663s
9/10/2021 6:57pm
Today they raced 250D. Track was tough. Rained hard last night and track was wet and slick this am then got hard and dry rutted with a lot of holes and huge braking bumps. It was definitely a pro setup.

We stopped and said hi to Brent from the Rick Elzinger story and team. Tomorrow is Pro day and the Dirt Diggers have a few special surprises planned.

JM485
9/10/2021 9:30pm
Tough track today for sure, but good times!
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
9/11/2021 12:04am
The first photo eludes the thread crossover of the century. Woohoo
Hammer 663s
9/15/2021 7:37pm
Well, I think this one has reached the end of the road. And what a road, and ride, it was!

Last Tuesday we drove down from Portland to get Mayson and spend the weekend at Hangtown. We've been going there since he and my boy JB were 3, so there's a lot of good memories. We made a bunch more this trip!

That's mainly due to Billy Hilton and the Dirt Diggers. Billy in particular went way above and beyond in making this a special trip. We had a sweet spot for the RV, passes for the boys to race both Thursday and Friday amateur days, a killer spot to set up our pop up for Pro day, and lots more. Billy stopped by several times a day, bringing ice (we needed that Wednesday since it was 106F as we were setting up camp!), giving us rides all over the complex in his UTV, and bringing people by to say hello. Somehow he even arranged for a fantastic lightning storm Thursday night! There's nothing quite so exciting as being in a metal box on a hilltop while lighting is hitting all around you. We didn't get a whole lot of sleep that night.

On Friday's Amateur day, Billy and Gary Plaatje put me and Mayson on the podium after my 2nd moto to talk a little with the crowd about this whole thread. Mayson also spent some time with Billy's Dad Mark and told him about everything that you Vital MX members have done for him.

Race day saw all-day pit access (seems the security people knew who Mayson and JB were) and we took some time to go meet Brent and Rick Elzinga, stopping by several times during the day. At the end of the day, Billy gave us a ride around the track in the UTV to check out the brutal conditions left by the pros. During that ride, we got to take our pick of the banners that lined the track, so the boys have some really cool things to hang in their rooms. In the evening, they got to go down and hang a bit with the Honda crew at the after party. They particularly enjoyed watching Hunter and Jett drift their rented SRT Challengers around the (mostly empty) pits.

All good things come to an end, and late Saturday Mayson went back to his Grandpa's house, and we prepped for the long tow home on Sunday.

It's been a hell of a ride. Thank you all for everything you did. I've read and re-read this entire thread and I always end up tearing up or laughing, sometimes on the same page. You made a difference in a young man's life, at a critical time, and you should feel really good about that. I know I do.

See you at the track.

Mike Hamershock
Hammer 663s

The Shop

MaysonWatkins
9/15/2021 7:46pm
Well, I think this one has reached the end of the road. And what a road, and ride, it was! Last Tuesday we drove down from...
Well, I think this one has reached the end of the road. And what a road, and ride, it was!

Last Tuesday we drove down from Portland to get Mayson and spend the weekend at Hangtown. We've been going there since he and my boy JB were 3, so there's a lot of good memories. We made a bunch more this trip!

That's mainly due to Billy Hilton and the Dirt Diggers. Billy in particular went way above and beyond in making this a special trip. We had a sweet spot for the RV, passes for the boys to race both Thursday and Friday amateur days, a killer spot to set up our pop up for Pro day, and lots more. Billy stopped by several times a day, bringing ice (we needed that Wednesday since it was 106F as we were setting up camp!), giving us rides all over the complex in his UTV, and bringing people by to say hello. Somehow he even arranged for a fantastic lightning storm Thursday night! There's nothing quite so exciting as being in a metal box on a hilltop while lighting is hitting all around you. We didn't get a whole lot of sleep that night.

On Friday's Amateur day, Billy and Gary Plaatje put me and Mayson on the podium after my 2nd moto to talk a little with the crowd about this whole thread. Mayson also spent some time with Billy's Dad Mark and told him about everything that you Vital MX members have done for him.

Race day saw all-day pit access (seems the security people knew who Mayson and JB were) and we took some time to go meet Brent and Rick Elzinga, stopping by several times during the day. At the end of the day, Billy gave us a ride around the track in the UTV to check out the brutal conditions left by the pros. During that ride, we got to take our pick of the banners that lined the track, so the boys have some really cool things to hang in their rooms. In the evening, they got to go down and hang a bit with the Honda crew at the after party. They particularly enjoyed watching Hunter and Jett drift their rented SRT Challengers around the (mostly empty) pits.

All good things come to an end, and late Saturday Mayson went back to his Grandpa's house, and we prepped for the long tow home on Sunday.

It's been a hell of a ride. Thank you all for everything you did. I've read and re-read this entire thread and I always end up tearing up or laughing, sometimes on the same page. You made a difference in a young man's life, at a critical time, and you should feel really good about that. I know I do.

See you at the track.

Mike Hamershock
Hammer 663s

man was it a ride!
MaysonWatkins
9/15/2021 7:53pm
wanted to come on here to say how much of a journey all of this has been! man I never thought in a million years something like this could happen! I cant put into words how much I appreciate everyone on this thread! everything you all have done for me, especially mike. I’ll never forget any of this, not sure how it would even be possible. I’m grateful to have such a great story I can tell my kids one day thanks to everyone on here. Big thanks to the dirt diggers as well like mike said for setting us up at hangtown! hangtown was one of the best times i’ve ever had a track. i’ll be honest, the interview I got pulled up for I was not ready for at all and had no idea what to say besides how much i appreciated it all and how well we were being treated. although it caught me off guard man what an experience! as sad as it is to sell the 150 it’s time for her to go, time for the big bike! would’ve never made it up to a big bike so fast without any of you! once again I can’t put into words how much i appreciate it all! man I love the moto community! Thank You!
buenavides
9/16/2021 7:09pm
Today they raced 250D. Track was tough. Rained hard last night and track was wet and slick this am then got hard and dry rutted with...
Today they raced 250D. Track was tough. Rained hard last night and track was wet and slick this am then got hard and dry rutted with a lot of holes and huge braking bumps. It was definitely a pro setup.

We stopped and said hi to Brent from the Rick Elzinger story and team. Tomorrow is Pro day and the Dirt Diggers have a few special surprises planned.

Everyone is having fun, this looks like a great event.
AK74
9/18/2021 12:44am
What a truly uplifting story from beginning to end.
centralcalmx
Fantasy
98th
9/18/2021 2:30pm
Not so fast Hammer.
Like others I really loved seeing the Moto community come together.
So count on me for a couple hundred when it’s new bike buying time.

Take care and man this is still a cool pic

And the Hollie in our old class
That Suzuki was a fun bike darn kick start and all Smile

Hammer 663s
12/22/2021 4:41pm
It's almost Christmas 2021, and I just re-read this entire thread. It never fails to make me tear up, and to know where we are now, over a year later, and the impact this had on a lot of people is huge. Marty didn't make it to the end of 2021 unfortunately and it was another damn tough year for many. But a lot of good things happened and this was one of them.

Mayson is selling the CRF150 and is taking the $$$ and putting it into setting up his Grandpa's low-hour 2006 CRF250r. He's well outgrown the 150 and it's served it's purpose. We hope to get together with him again in 22 and ride some moto, tell some lies, and have some laughs. Life goes on.

Hammer 663s
Hammer 663s
1/2/2022 9:30am
One I missed from Washougal OTMX Nationals this summer. We had a hell of a fun weekend!

Hammer 663s
Hammer 663s
5/27/2022 12:09pm
Heading down to Hangtown this Friday and will meet up with Mayson for the races. Billy at the Dirt Diggers reached out and said there were tickets waiting for us at will call, so this thread just keeps on going!

It's possible that Mayson may be coming to spend his Junior year with us in Portland. We've got 5 kids (only 1 left at home), and have hosted foreign exchange students as well, so what's one more teen under our roof? Smile We know what we are doing!

Hammer 663s
Hammer 663s
6/9/2022 10:03pm
Hangtown 2022 with Mayson. Dungey, Cairoli, great weather and track conditions, 4 good motos. What’s better?

Hammer 663s
7/23/2023 6:56pm

Just so you know, this story keeps on going. Mayson came up and spent a month with us again during Washougal. He had his choice of a KTM 250SXF-FE or the #663s FC350 that I've had for 5 years. He rode both, prefers the FC350. Anyway, it was a hell of a month. He got a lot of seat time, doing several practice days, racing 5 motos at the OTMX Washougal event, and then hit PiR Thursday Night Motocross a few times including this week's Pro Night. And it was awesome - he hole shot the 250 Beginner class in front of about 5000 people, his first hole shot ever!!! Led a lap or so, then faded to 7th. Must be the bike cause that's what I do usually!

And GET THIS - he made the Deegan's latest VLOG!!!! Here's his holeshot at 13:25, and him getting passed for the lead, with Brian Deegan giving him crap. None of us video'd his holeshot (none of us expected it!!!!!) but the Deegans got it for him. He is of course thrilled that they caught it, and posted it up. Just blown away - he's a 17 YO kid and he's on the Deegans VLOG.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g_DHpQskSE

Then, on Friday, he was with my kids and grandkids swimming down at the Washougal River (a very long-standing Washougal tradition) and who showed up - the Deegans! Hudson was there to fish and he had the same rod as Mayson. So they hung out and talked fishing for a while until people started to realize who it was and all hell broke loose. 

We spent all week at Washougal doing Am days and watching the Pros. I got us hooked up for some VIP seating and he got to hang out with some industry bigs. And of course, Deegan went 1-1 so icing on the cake for him. He heads home tomorrow. We will do it again next year.

Post a reply to: A little help in Sacramento?

The Latest