A few things about Cooper's wild ride and officiating...

TeamGreen
3/19/2019 12:13pm
A guy cross-ruts in a Rythm Section...at speed...manages to save it...

And all some keyboard warriors can do is bitch about it.

Classic
DoctorJD
3/19/2019 12:20pm
DoctorJD wrote:
This is only a problem because it involved Tomac. Period. If this is Seeling/Barcia, it's a non-story. Tomac/Kawi fanboys once again showing their true colors.
zehn wrote:
There is no way to prove this. You just come across as a Webb fanboy for making this suggestion
I think Webb is a knucklehead, so I don't have a dog in the fight. What I saw was a kid who was flying toward absolute doom, who not only saved that shit, but made a pass on one of the best riders in the series. I was in awe, it was one of the best saves I've ever seen...yet some of you saw the same thing, and the only you came away with was, "he cheated".

But you're right, there's no way to prove my theory.
ATKpilot99
3/19/2019 12:29pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Classic
I think what people are complaining about is the gray area in the rulebook. Intent has nothing to do with it....Officer I didn't mean to blow through that red light...ah then you're free to go, no ticket. Just say up to the discretion of the AMA or whoever is making the rules. I couldn't give 2 shits either way. It didn't change the outcome of the race. The only predictable thing is smug responses from guys like you and guyb.

The Shop

psg119
3/19/2019 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 12:32pm
In road racing if we ran off track (intentionally or accidentally) we had to re-enter in the same or worse position than we went off. Plain and simple. It looks like from what others have posted here the rule book reads the same. In this situation I feel Cooper had to make the pass to stay upright. But officials would have expected us to let Tomac back by or a docked position will be applied after the race or a "meatball" flag which would have us pull down pit lane (if it was immediately obvious or near the beginning of the race), sit for 30 seconds or whatever the penalty was, and release us again back to racing. No questions asked. I think Cooper saved a bad situation and they realized that for him in their decision to let it go. But it's the way it is now and as others have said I believe Coop would have gotten past him either way. As a fan of both I don't believe Eli rode a podium ride and doesn't deserve to be given the penalty, but on the other hand if you have a rule book it should be enforced as written.
tingo
3/19/2019 12:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Classic
Speaking for myself here: I’m not bitching about Webb’s cross rut or save - the latter was an amazing display of skill and I’m blown away that he managed to stop and turn the bike as quickly as he did. Impressive stuff. He’s been impressive all year and it’s good to see him riding like he was on 250s.

As for nutswinging, as I (and others) have said, I’d want to see the same rules applied against Tomac if the roles were switched. Some of you may not believe that, but I don’t really care, and you couldn’t be more wrong. Again, it’s about professionalism and enforcing the rulebook that everyone races under. Impressive or not. Intentional or not. 450 or 250. Main event or LCQ. Pick any rider under the tent. Rider A literally crossed a line while making a pass on Rider B. The rules don’t allow that, nor should they.
mac3-d
3/19/2019 12:44pm
joeellis wrote:
I refuse to read all the replies because I get so tired of all the whining on here. The negativity on this site has caused me...
I refuse to read all the replies because I get so tired of all the whining on here. The negativity on this site has caused me to visit much less frequently. With that said: for the people complaining, do you want the rule book to try and capture every possible scenario that may occur during a race? Then it would possibly look like the golf rule book i.e., if this occurs, refer to rule 16:2c etc. I’m fine with the way the judgement was determined. Cooper crossrutted and did one hell of a job to not take both riders out. What do you complainers feel they should have done? Move Cooper behind Tomac in the final standings? Wonder what Eli felt about the situation. He was probably way less upset than many on here.
TeamGreen wrote:
Wait a second!

I think this guy actually rides...might even race.

NICE response, sir.
Did Tomac know Webb had ridden over a tuff block, until after the race ?
SK523
3/19/2019 12:44pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Classic
Wow... I guess people are not allowed to have an opinion on this situation? If that triggers you so much maybe you dont need to reply in this thread.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
3/19/2019 12:56pm
1) I'm a Tomac fan
2) Super impressed with Webb this season. Not a huge fan, but don't dislike the guy. Indifferent, I guess.
3) Webb obviously did not intend to jump on a tough block

Webb landed off track, out of control and was on an accidental trajectory to T-Bone Tomac

Tomac notices, hops out of the racing line to avoid it, and Webb completes the pass.

Had Webb not been that far inside, past the apex of the corner he likely would not have been in a position to complete a pass there. We will never know.

Webb was clearly faster and most likely would have passed Tomac somewhere else. Or maybe Tomac holds him off. Or a Webb/Tomac battle results in a mistake/crash that shakes the points up. We'll never know. How many races have we watched where a clearly faster rider finishes 2nd place, because he simply couldn't get around the slower rider in 1st?

What is clear is Webb (intended or not) got lucky to keep it on two wheels AND completed a pass at the same time. Intent is not in the rule book, and is impossible to judge. If I "didn't mean to" speed in my car do they throw out the ticket? What if JLaw "didn't mean to" jump the starting gate at Hangtown?

I thank GuyB for his insight on how the decision was made, but I think the majority of fans agree that WHY the decision was made makes no sense, according to the rules. I am a fan of many other race series, and in all of them if a pass was completed from going off track a penalty would be applied.

A root issue is the race officials apply subjective conditions to objective incidents. Was a take-out retaliatory or for the win in the last corner? Was cutting the track intentional?

Enforce the rules objectively and all the drama goes away.
500guy
3/19/2019 1:04pm
Web, Cut the track and gained an advantage.

why ? Who cares? He broke the rules and should be penalized.
scrallex
3/19/2019 1:08pm
dimetime wrote:
I sincerely think the absolute worst part of this is the shameful intellectual dishonsety. This is purely and ET vs Webb thing. I know for a...
I sincerely think the absolute worst part of this is the shameful intellectual dishonsety.

This is purely and ET vs Webb thing. I know for a fact that if this situation was reversed there'd be not one peep about it from all the Eli nut garglers.

All your morsl preening and high horse bullshit is just that.........bullshit.

God damn l hate this kind if crap.
I can guarantee you that if the roles were reversed, Eli would have yielded the position back to Webb in the whoop section. Part of the reason a lot of us like him: he is a respectful and honest racer. Same reason why he "toyed" with Dungey in '17 rather than doing to him what Musquin did to ET in New England last year.

Speaking of, after all that has transpired in the last two years since that incident in Las Vegas, I wonder how many times Eli has thought to himself "Man, I should have just clobbered Dungey and taken that fat check to the bank"
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
3/19/2019 1:11pm
Jbulz wrote:
1) I'm a Tomac fan 2) Super impressed with Webb this season. Not a huge fan, but don't dislike the guy. Indifferent, I guess. 3) Webb...
1) I'm a Tomac fan
2) Super impressed with Webb this season. Not a huge fan, but don't dislike the guy. Indifferent, I guess.
3) Webb obviously did not intend to jump on a tough block

Webb landed off track, out of control and was on an accidental trajectory to T-Bone Tomac

Tomac notices, hops out of the racing line to avoid it, and Webb completes the pass.

Had Webb not been that far inside, past the apex of the corner he likely would not have been in a position to complete a pass there. We will never know.

Webb was clearly faster and most likely would have passed Tomac somewhere else. Or maybe Tomac holds him off. Or a Webb/Tomac battle results in a mistake/crash that shakes the points up. We'll never know. How many races have we watched where a clearly faster rider finishes 2nd place, because he simply couldn't get around the slower rider in 1st?

What is clear is Webb (intended or not) got lucky to keep it on two wheels AND completed a pass at the same time. Intent is not in the rule book, and is impossible to judge. If I "didn't mean to" speed in my car do they throw out the ticket? What if JLaw "didn't mean to" jump the starting gate at Hangtown?

I thank GuyB for his insight on how the decision was made, but I think the majority of fans agree that WHY the decision was made makes no sense, according to the rules. I am a fan of many other race series, and in all of them if a pass was completed from going off track a penalty would be applied.

A root issue is the race officials apply subjective conditions to objective incidents. Was a take-out retaliatory or for the win in the last corner? Was cutting the track intentional?

Enforce the rules objectively and all the drama goes away.
Intent is not impossible to judge. If nobody in their right mind would do it, he probably didn't intend to do it. We make judgments about intent all the time. Regarding objectivity, what we should really want is fairness - if intent is factored into decisions in other cases, then it ought to be factored into this one as well. I don't know enough about the decision making process to say whether it was fair or not, but it's far from obvious that it's unfair.

There are a lot of arguments from personal incredulity in this thread: the idea that if I don't understand it, it must be wrong. That is a fallacy.
TeamGreen
3/19/2019 1:26pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Classic
SK523 wrote:
Wow... I guess people are not allowed to have an opinion on this situation? If that triggers you so much maybe you dont need to reply...
Wow... I guess people are not allowed to have an opinion on this situation? If that triggers you so much maybe you dont need to reply in this thread.
Hey there, Mr. Self-Appointed “Thread Cop”...

Who’s triggered? I’m not.

I’m simply laughing at all the angry Keyboard Assassins and their expert knowledge sans any rule book or real understanding of most things Supercross.

So, take a look at your angry response aimed directly at me...where-as my post was a mere statement of fact...with no direct angst or fingers pointed at any one person or post.

So...again...and as factual as we ALL know it is...

A guy cross-ruts in a Rythm Section...at speed...manages to save it...& all some keyboard warriors can do is bitch about it.

Namely, you.

Thanks for playing along!

Laughing
3/19/2019 1:37pm
Is this the rule everyone is having heart burn over?

Appendix A A2.c.12. Failure to re-enter the track at a point as close as practical to the point at which the rider left the track; and in so doing gaining an unfair advantage

It looked like Webb DID NOT fail to re-enter the track at a point as close as practical to where he left the track. Couldn't have gotten much closer actually.

scrallex
3/19/2019 1:53pm
Is this the rule everyone is having heart burn over? Appendix A A2.c.12. Failure to re-enter the track at a point as close as practical to...
Is this the rule everyone is having heart burn over?

Appendix A A2.c.12. Failure to re-enter the track at a point as close as practical to the point at which the rider left the track; and in so doing gaining an unfair advantage

It looked like Webb DID NOT fail to re-enter the track at a point as close as practical to where he left the track. Couldn't have gotten much closer actually.

That isn't the rule we are speaking of. We are talking about the clause that dictates advantage gained from exiting the track. The party that feels this is worthy of penalty believes that the pass was made due to a positional advantage gained from exiting and re-entering the course.

Simply put, those who believe the penalty is just believe that the location Webb entered the track left him at an advantage to overtake the preceding rider. The reason we believe that is because an actual pass was made as a result of the excursion from the course. If Webb had yielded the position, it would simply be an issue of track exit-entry. Nobody here believes that the excursion itself was grounds for penalty. We just feel that turning a mistake into an advanced position is grounds for penalty.
Kenny Lingus
3/19/2019 1:59pm
You have to be able to say definitively where the track boundaries are in able to say a guy cut the track.
3/19/2019 2:14pm
Absolutely true. And they do so with wild inconsistency not seen in other motorsports.
3/19/2019 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 2:23pm
I don't really see how what the obstacles are matters as to whether you can gain position off track. There are plenty of even wilder obstacles than triples or whoops in motor racing.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
3/19/2019 2:20pm
If only Webb had back flipped while cutting such a big section of the track off, none of this would matter.

Seen it in a BMX documentary once, big final race, kid jumps the track but pulls a back flip and never touches the infield of the track, so all is good.

End of the day intentional or not, some form of penalty should have been handed down, In any other form of motorsport, if you make a pass while going off track, even if not intentional, if you don't rectify the position straight away some form of penalty is coming.

3/19/2019 2:29pm
All I see is a bunch of guys that are still stuck in the Bradshaw era pissed that the "face of motocross" got passed straight up, and gapped by the new sheriff. It's the Webb era boys, find a "safe space" to cry in your home, buckle up and keep the undies from bunching up.
thehenk
3/19/2019 2:37pm
i really don't get this discussion. cooper should have giving his position back to tomac, only to pass him a couple turns later because he was obviously faster.
TeamGreen
3/19/2019 2:42pm
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/fwcGzF1l2cILe/giphy.gif[/img]
Someone gets it!
ATKpilot99
3/19/2019 2:49pm
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/fwcGzF1l2cILe/giphy.gif[/img]
TeamGreen wrote:
Someone gets it!
Remember who opened the flood gates. I would have seen it coming from a mile away.
brlatm
3/19/2019 2:59pm
GuyB wrote:
I figured a few of you might be interested in what actually happened there. I guess I was wrong.
We figured you would have been a journalist and not John Gallaghers buddy, I guess we were wrong?
Silas444
3/19/2019 3:07pm
This thread has become a textbook example of the futility of trying to force a serving of common sense on someone who'd rather eat poop, so I won't add to the silliness - BUT - here's something of interest: last week Eli Tomac won Daytona while wearing a helmet with Dale Earnhardt's face painted on it. Dale Earnhardt, a man whose most famous victory came when he went off-course, into the grass, and then back on-track without surrendering a position. You get that? Earnhardt won because they didn't penalize him for going off-track. I don't know how that tastes to you, but I find that little morsel of irony truly delicious.
ctbale
3/19/2019 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 3:21pm
Silas444 wrote:
This thread has become a textbook example of the futility of trying to force a serving of common sense on someone who'd rather eat poop, so...
This thread has become a textbook example of the futility of trying to force a serving of common sense on someone who'd rather eat poop, so I won't add to the silliness - BUT - here's something of interest: last week Eli Tomac won Daytona while wearing a helmet with Dale Earnhardt's face painted on it. Dale Earnhardt, a man whose most famous victory came when he went off-course, into the grass, and then back on-track without surrendering a position. You get that? Earnhardt won because they didn't penalize him for going off-track. I don't know how that tastes to you, but I find that little morsel of irony truly delicious.
not comparable situations.

Its an EZ call, coop gained an advantage after leaving the track. you cant factor in intent to apply the rule, cuz intent is not addressed in the rule.

ok, were done now, I have spoken.

who am I kidding, 12 pager EZ
psg119
3/19/2019 3:33pm
He could say you're being subjective about it as well. Your vision of other motorsports shows you aren't understanding what he is saying. It's not seeing what you want. It's just seeing what it is. A mistake turned into an advantage. Accidents can go good sometimes. A MotoGP rider has to slow from 200 mph to 40 or less sometimes in order to make corners at times and if they are S corners sometimes they make mistakes causing them to run off causing potential gain in positions. Just because it was a mistake that caused the rider to gain the position doesn't mean the organizations recognize it as okay. All racing has its obstacles. And if they're racing I can guarantee nobody is easing into anything.
3/19/2019 3:33pm
What I see on frame 5 & 6 is that when Coop and Eli are heading in the same direction, Eli has half a wheel on him, then Coop puts the hammer down and leaves him behind?
PEPE001
3/19/2019 3:39pm
Just something to think about.

More than 80 riders hit the track nobody cross rutted ike CW except CW.
Seems a lot of rutts on that jump.

CW moved to the left before the jump without a cross rutt.

The track was a piece of junk to pass you had to ride like an idiot.
Nothing more nothing less.

Post a reply to: A few things about Cooper's wild ride and officiating...

The Latest