A few things about Cooper's wild ride and officiating...

hoppsan
3/19/2019 3:32am
I'm confused, and it appears many more than me are. I'm certain that Webb would've gotten around Tomac later on any way, but you never know and that is no excuse to let people bend the rules in their favor (which happens every now and again in both this sport and others).

The argument that "the grown ups" have made the decision and they clearly understand this better than you is frustratingly lazy and an obvious example of argumentum ad verecundiam.

People arguing about him gaining an advantage by cutting the track (shortening it) or passing Tomac (as in exiting the track while behind, re-entering while ahead) are also just muddying the water regarding the true advantage he gained; the set up for an epic block-pass. Webb used his off-the-track-I-go-whoopsie-daisy situation to execute a block-pass on Tomac which he could not have executed (at that point in time) without his mishap, and this is ruled okay apparently. On a track that was evidently very hard to make passes on, that is one hell of an advantage to gain I'd say.
Jrewing
3/19/2019 3:59am
GuyB wrote:
Yeah, those are the kind of responses I was expecting.

I used to hate the term Vitard. But if the shoe fits...
You’re pretty jaded these days old mate!
wreckitrandy
3/19/2019 4:02am
I'm amazed at what people see in this situation. So here is what I think I see. Webb cross rutted on the straight and jumped off the track. He re-entered the track at the literal apex of the turn. He didn't miss the turn. He made his turn ON the track. "Cutting the track" to me, would be like JMart a few years ago at Millville. He missed an uphill, a turn and, a down hill. He 'cut' over a hundred yards of race track. Webb didn't. He ran parallel to the track maybe 15', plowed over a tuff block, stopped short of parking ET and, made a sharper turn while STILL on the track. Had he missed an obstacle on the straight or the turn entirely, I could see a penalty. That's not what "I" saw though. Apparently, neither did Kawi. Flame away you bunch of girlyboys!
RonJon
3/19/2019 4:13am
Dear god you people are still arguing about this?!

The Shop

wolf918
3/19/2019 4:24am
Where’s the data? Would like to see cooper’s time and heart rate in this section of the track.
Crush
3/19/2019 4:46am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 5:00am
I'm amazed at what people see in this situation. So here is what I think I see. Webb cross rutted on the straight and jumped off...
I'm amazed at what people see in this situation. So here is what I think I see. Webb cross rutted on the straight and jumped off the track. He re-entered the track at the literal apex of the turn. He didn't miss the turn. He made his turn ON the track. "Cutting the track" to me, would be like JMart a few years ago at Millville. He missed an uphill, a turn and, a down hill. He 'cut' over a hundred yards of race track. Webb didn't. He ran parallel to the track maybe 15', plowed over a tuff block, stopped short of parking ET and, made a sharper turn while STILL on the track. Had he missed an obstacle on the straight or the turn entirely, I could see a penalty. That's not what "I" saw though. Apparently, neither did Kawi. Flame away you bunch of girlyboys!
All of that is true... but since a block pass is about controlling the inside area of a corner... can you honestly say his physical position in the corner wasn't advantaged by being that bit further inside? Or that Eli's wasn't disadvantaged – he did have to lift his leg and line and get cross-rutted to avoid contact because of Coop's line. The phrasing in the rule is advantage and mentions nothing about intent.

I agree about Kawi not protesting... but it's short-sighted on their part, especially since their number one guy seems like he could be a little head-case-eee... Who's to say he doesn't fall apart if he isn't passed. Lot's of riders re-group and their prerogative should be to fight for every single advantage they can. I know what Larry Brooks would have been doing!
JB 19
3/19/2019 4:52am
GuyB wrote:
I figured a few of you might be interested in what actually happened there. I guess I was wrong.
Outcome and what happened appear to be two different things here, as seen by millions of viewers. If this were a person shot dead accidentally by...
Outcome and what happened appear to be two different things here, as seen by millions of viewers. If this were a person shot dead accidentally by a person who tripped and stumbled over a rut, the perpetrator would be charged with manslaughter as there was no intent, but never the less still charged for something that cost another.
We all know Cooper would have passed Eli within in a lap or two, and that he is that far ahead in points it hardly matters. But the fact remains he cut the track, gained an advantage that led to the pass.
The whole deal makes the sport look a little grubby in my opinion.
Now carry on from your tower.
Lol..... that isn't true at all. The amount of negligence in the situation would determine the charge. People are hurt badly in basic accidents all the time without anyone being charged with a crime.

Silas444
3/19/2019 5:38am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 5:49am
GuyB wrote:
I figured a few of you might be interested in what actually happened there. I guess I was wrong.
Outcome and what happened appear to be two different things here, as seen by millions of viewers. If this were a person shot dead accidentally by...
Outcome and what happened appear to be two different things here, as seen by millions of viewers. If this were a person shot dead accidentally by a person who tripped and stumbled over a rut, the perpetrator would be charged with manslaughter as there was no intent, but never the less still charged for something that cost another.
We all know Cooper would have passed Eli within in a lap or two, and that he is that far ahead in points it hardly matters. But the fact remains he cut the track, gained an advantage that led to the pass.
Without intending to (I'm sure), you, sir, have made the perfect point for why Webb wasn't punished for "cutting" the track, and that is because there was NO intent. Christ, is there anyone here posting on this thread who's actually cross-rutted on the face of a jump? If you have, you know that what happens next most certainly does NOT involve intent, because you have no control over your bike. It's gonna go where it's gonna go. My most vivid memory of my last cross-rut incident is my goggles filling up with blood from my broken and gashed up nose, and my semi-concussed brain not realizing I could simply take them off and regain my eyesight. Perhaps I should be fined for ruining a perfectly good set of goggles?

No, what's really pissing you guys off is that Webb immediately started racing again and passed Tomac without pausing, and you think he should have waited until he got some sort of "gentleman's green light" from Tomac. Well, hmmmm - concerned about gentlemanliness are we now? I must have missed that priority when everyone was gushing about Tomac "toying" (Tomac's actual words) with Dungey by trying to take him out multiple times in the final race two years ago. Sheesh, you people.
newmann
3/19/2019 5:44am
Third frame in the pic, Eli is turning down. Fourth frame he has already checked up and is climbing to the top to avoid getting clobbered. I'd say that is where the pass was actually accomplished.

Funny how "The AMA" will tell you how they have nothing to do with professional racing.

"The AMA no longer runs professional racing. The AMA does, however, sanction AMA amateur racing and recreational events. "
3/19/2019 6:01am
GuyB wrote:
Silas444 wrote:
Without intending to (I'm sure), you, sir, have made the perfect point for why Webb wasn't punished for "cutting" the track, and that is because there...
Without intending to (I'm sure), you, sir, have made the perfect point for why Webb wasn't punished for "cutting" the track, and that is because there was NO intent. Christ, is there anyone here posting on this thread who's actually cross-rutted on the face of a jump? If you have, you know that what happens next most certainly does NOT involve intent, because you have no control over your bike. It's gonna go where it's gonna go. My most vivid memory of my last cross-rut incident is my goggles filling up with blood from my broken and gashed up nose, and my semi-concussed brain not realizing I could simply take them off and regain my eyesight. Perhaps I should be fined for ruining a perfectly good set of goggles?

No, what's really pissing you guys off is that Webb immediately started racing again and passed Tomac without pausing, and you think he should have waited until he got some sort of "gentleman's green light" from Tomac. Well, hmmmm - concerned about gentlemanliness are we now? I must have missed that priority when everyone was gushing about Tomac "toying" (Tomac's actual words) with Dungey by trying to take him out multiple times in the final race two years ago. Sheesh, you people.
You completely missed the point, good job. Also what does that little story have to do with anything?
mxtech1
3/19/2019 6:05am
Here's what I don't understand.....

Most of the top riders are running LitPro devices. Why can't their LitPro data have a live upload connection to a Feld/FIM server? Make it mandatory just like a transponder.

The "expert panel" could easily use the readily available software to overlay and break down different segments of that sequence to look at elapsed times, acceleration & deceleration points, and total distance traveled. They could have had an answer, with data, before the main was even over.

Enforcing the rules per the discretion of the expert panel is so archaic. All the data is out there on the track and the technology is readily available to make the decision making process more robust.

Feld & the FIM are making no attempts to bring all the data together to improve the decision making aspect of our sport. It is pathetic that they want to theorize and rule on a rider's "intent", but turn a blind eye to the raw data that is actually available out there on the track.

If a LitPro data server was in place, I believe the data would have shown that Webb traveled ~30% less than Tomac, had similar acceleration/deceleration points, and had an elapsed time through that corner segment several tenths faster.
3/19/2019 6:12am
mxtech1 wrote:
Here's what I don't understand..... Most of the top riders are running LitPro devices. Why can't their LitPro data have a live upload connection to a...

Most of the top riders are running LitPro devices. Why can't their LitPro data have a live upload connection to a Feld/FIM server? Make it mandatory just like a transponder.

The "expert panel" could easily use the readily available software to overlay and break down different segments of that sequence to look at elapsed times, acceleration & deceleration points, and total distance traveled. They could have had an answer, with data, before the main was even over.

Enforcing the rules per the discretion of the expert panel is so archaic. All the data is out there on the track and the technology is readily available to make the decision making process more robust.

Feld & the FIM are making no attempts to bring all the data together to improve the decision making aspect of our sport. It is pathetic that they want to theorize and rule on a rider's "intent", but turn a blind eye to the raw data that is actually available out there on the track.

If a LitPro data server was in place, I believe the data would have shown that Webb traveled ~30% less than Tomac, had similar acceleration/deceleration points, and had an elapsed time through that corner segment several tenths faster.
Lit pro doesn’t work inside of buildings.
motomike137
3/19/2019 6:19am
hoppsan wrote:
I'm confused, and it appears many more than me are. I'm certain that Webb would've gotten around Tomac later on any way, [i]but[/i] you never know...
I'm confused, and it appears many more than me are. I'm certain that Webb would've gotten around Tomac later on any way, but you never know and that is no excuse to let people bend the rules in their favor (which happens every now and again in both this sport and others).

The argument that "the grown ups" have made the decision and they clearly understand this better than you is frustratingly lazy and an obvious example of argumentum ad verecundiam.

People arguing about him gaining an advantage by cutting the track (shortening it) or passing Tomac (as in exiting the track while behind, re-entering while ahead) are also just muddying the water regarding the true advantage he gained; the set up for an epic block-pass. Webb used his off-the-track-I-go-whoopsie-daisy situation to execute a block-pass on Tomac which he could not have executed (at that point in time) without his mishap, and this is ruled okay apparently. On a track that was evidently very hard to make passes on, that is one hell of an advantage to gain I'd say.
Block pass? I didn't see a block pass. I saw a Tomac looking over his shoulder thinking oh sh-t I better check up moment even though Webb turned under him without ever touching him or blocking him.
Donovan759
3/19/2019 6:20am
GuyB wrote:
Yeah, those are the kind of responses I was expecting.

I used to hate the term Vitard. But if the shoe fits...
To the morans who say "No one ever gives GuyB thumbs down", I present to you Exhibit A Laughing
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/19/2019 6:21am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 6:22am
mxtech1 wrote:
Here's what I don't understand..... Most of the top riders are running LitPro devices. Why can't their LitPro data have a live upload connection to a...

It can, if Feld wanted to set up something like a "GPS signal receiver/booster" inside the stadium. The LITPro guys have tried it before and if they can boost the signal by bouncing it outside of the stadium, it can work. It's too expensive for them to do on their own though considering they go to the races for free/pay their own way.

But without it, yup, it doesn't work in dome stadiums.
mxtech1
3/19/2019 6:22am
It does with a more sophisticated transmitter setup.

Would not be that difficult to transport and setup round to round.

Again...Feld/FIM/AMA making no attempt to use what's readily available.

What's your next excuse?
Donovan759
3/19/2019 6:23am
hoppsan wrote:
I'm confused, and it appears many more than me are. I'm certain that Webb would've gotten around Tomac later on any way, [i]but[/i] you never know...

Block pass? I didn't see a block pass. I saw a Tomac looking over his shoulder thinking oh sh-t I better check up moment even though...
Block pass? I didn't see a block pass. I saw a Tomac looking over his shoulder thinking oh sh-t I better check up moment even though Webb turned under him without ever touching him or blocking him.
Exactly. Its amazing how many people can't seem to understand that.
kaptkaos
3/19/2019 6:26am
So if I'm racing F1 at Monaco for example, all I have to do is slightly lock up the brakes before the Nouvelle Chicane, overtake, and...
So if I'm racing F1 at Monaco for example, all I have to do is slightly lock up the brakes before the Nouvelle Chicane, overtake, and say ,"whoops, didn't mean to!" Highly doubt that would fly
GuyB wrote:
Get back to me as soon as F1 starts having rhythm sections, whoops, and triples.
In F1 any contact is slower and the resulting damage to the car will result in deteriorating performance of the car, not to mention its a life threatening event.

I think the pass was not a rules violation, it was merely just another case of Webbs good fortune this year. Everything is going his way. He did not make contact or necessarily impede Tomac in a none typical way, he did however distract him and make Tomac think he was going to get tboned. Pretty sure it was very demoralizing to Tomac who has the yips right now. Things are just going right for Webb this year, no other way to look at it.

Barring a DNF or injury its his title bc no one will outright take the title from him this year.
Flip109
3/19/2019 6:32am
I like Webb, I like Tomac, I don't like Webb landing on boundary markers after a mistake he made cutting the track and getting rewarded with a pass. Webb fucked up, then the panel of judges fucked up, clear case of they fucked this one up lol

Best part is seeing GuyB go full vitard.

GuyB welcome to vitardem. How's it feel? LaughingTongue
tasco
3/19/2019 6:39am
Imagine if the NFL started giving penalties based on intent. A defensive lineman jumps off sides and gets a sack. But the officials dont think he did it on purpose so the play stands as a sack.
Gworm
3/19/2019 6:41am
GuyB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/03/17/332532/s780_webb_tomac.jpg[/img] Quick question...where does the pass actually happen here? Match up the frames...

Quick question...where does the pass actually happen here? Match up the frames...
Really fortunate Tomac checked up like he did. In hindsight it would of been better for Tomac to stay in it and collide. Then you have...
Really fortunate Tomac checked up like he did.
In hindsight it would of been better for Tomac to stay in it and collide.
Then you have an opportunity to Protest Webb and also an excuse for finishing 4th lol
CASH476 wrote:
Heres my 2 cents worth. 1) Webb did not cut the track, he went off track and came back on heading in the same direction as...
Heres my 2 cents worth.

1) Webb did not cut the track, he went off track and came back on heading in the same direction as he left. There is no way humanly possible he could have slowed down, reentered in a different spot etc.

2) The pass wasn't made until after the 3rd & 4th frames in the photo where Eli chose to back out. There was still room at the top of the track if Eli wanted to take his chances.

3) Cooper would have been going faster and be more in control, making the pass easier if he managed to stay off the tuff blocks. If that's the case, he gained no advantage by going off course.

That is all

Exactly. I can't see how people think that Coop being a whopping two feet to the right, and actually in CONTROL would have been slower than bouncing over a stinking tuff block.

In the rule, the grey area is what constitutes an advantage. If that was an advantage, a lot of riders need to rethink their line choices.
3/19/2019 6:44am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 7:27am
So if I'm racing F1 at Monaco for example, all I have to do is slightly lock up the brakes before the Nouvelle Chicane, overtake, and...
So if I'm racing F1 at Monaco for example, all I have to do is slightly lock up the brakes before the Nouvelle Chicane, overtake, and say ,"whoops, didn't mean to!" Highly doubt that would fly
GuyB wrote:
Get back to me as soon as F1 starts having rhythm sections, whoops, and triples.
kaptkaos wrote:
In F1 any contact is slower and the resulting damage to the car will result in deteriorating performance of the car, not to mention its a...
In F1 any contact is slower and the resulting damage to the car will result in deteriorating performance of the car, not to mention its a life threatening event.

I think the pass was not a rules violation, it was merely just another case of Webbs good fortune this year. Everything is going his way. He did not make contact or necessarily impede Tomac in a none typical way, he did however distract him and make Tomac think he was going to get tboned. Pretty sure it was very demoralizing to Tomac who has the yips right now. Things are just going right for Webb this year, no other way to look at it.

Barring a DNF or injury its his title bc no one will outright take the title from him this year.
I don't get where all this interpretation is coming from.

The rule doesn't say anything about contact. The rule doesn't say anything about intent. The rule has three stipulations that ignoring will result penalization of riders who leave the track:
[list]
[*]Re-enter at closest safe re-entry point:
(Obviously, blasting through a tuffblock half way through a 180 is not a safe point)
[*]Re-enter safely:
(Flying out of control toward an on-track rider's side plate isn't safe)
[*]Gain no advantage on re-entry:
(He passed in the same corner he re-entered, due to another rider checking up to avoid him. An advantage was gained)
[/list]
All the stipulations of penalization are met. None of the rest of the crap mentioned in this thread is even considered in the rulebook.
APLMAN99
3/19/2019 7:12am
The worst part of the decision, in my opinion, is trying to evaluate whether it was an infraction based on Webb's intent. It's a pretty blatant admission that the rules will be applied subjectively, not objectively, and that riders will get differing decisions based on who they are, where they stand in the points, etc.

At least before there was an attempt to hide the subjective nature of the application of rules, but this doesn't even try to do that.
OR116
3/19/2019 7:22am
ayearinmx wrote:
You've made your position perfectly clear in defending them and Feld at every step (in Limegate)... It's ok. It's your job.... Well kinda... Thanks for the...
You've made your position perfectly clear in defending them and Feld at every step (in Limegate)... It's ok. It's your job.... Well kinda...

Thanks for the insult though. Keep toeing the company line Whistling

GuyB wrote:
Favor returned. We're even. Carry on.
I think GayB should stick to taking pictures.
Casting
3/19/2019 7:25am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 7:28am
OR116 wrote:
You're a jerk.

Look, I don't agree with what GuyB said but I respect him and name calling is taking the low road.

The guy literally spends his working hours covering a sport we love, and most of the time it's a thankless job. Even if you disagree, show some respect and be a grown ass man.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
3/19/2019 7:34am
GuyB wrote:
kaptkaos wrote:
In F1 any contact is slower and the resulting damage to the car will result in deteriorating performance of the car, not to mention its a...

I don't get where all this interpretation is coming from. The rule doesn't say anything about contact. The rule doesn't say anything about intent. The rule...
I don't get where all this interpretation is coming from.

The rule doesn't say anything about contact. The rule doesn't say anything about intent. The rule has three stipulations that ignoring will result penalization of riders who leave the track:
[list]
[*]Re-enter at closest safe re-entry point:
(Obviously, blasting through a tuffblock half way through a 180 is not a safe point)
[*]Re-enter safely:
(Flying out of control toward an on-track rider's side plate isn't safe)
[*]Gain no advantage on re-entry:
(He passed in the same corner he re-entered, due to another rider checking up to avoid him. An advantage was gained)
[/list]
All the stipulations of penalization are met. None of the rest of the crap mentioned in this thread is even considered in the rulebook.
Well he did enter at the safest place, there was nothing else he could do.
But he shouldn't have made the pass, he definitely gained advantage there. Had he landed the jump normally, the tuff blocks (which mark the track) would have prevented him from going that far to the inside.

In theory that is. I don't really blame him though. He just had the most important save of his entire career.

Did Kawasaki or Honda make a claim or something?
ATKpilot99
3/19/2019 7:37am
OR116 wrote:
Casting wrote:
You're a jerk. Look, I don't agree with what GuyB said but I respect him and name calling is taking the low road. The guy literally...
You're a jerk.

Look, I don't agree with what GuyB said but I respect him and name calling is taking the low road.

The guy literally spends his working hours covering a sport we love, and most of the time it's a thankless job. Even if you disagree, show some respect and be a grown ass man.
While I don't agree with that response Guyb in so many words called anyone who disagrees with the ruling stupid.
barnett468
3/19/2019 8:03am

This is entertaining, and all you clowns that think a riders intent is relevant in this, or similar cases, are....well....clowns....oh, and hypocrites too, lol.

Post a reply to: A few things about Cooper's wild ride and officiating...

The Latest