A SX Grandslam?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/14/2019 9:54 PM

I recently watched a program featuring Jim Clark, a famous f1 driver who died in '68 who was argueable the best driver ever. In his career they mentioned he had achieved 8 times (next highest is 5) what was known as a Grandslam, where a driver: won pole position, set the fastest lap time and led every single lap of the race.

After watching Minneapolis Forkner did just that. He won pole in qualifying, led every lap of his heat(with fastest time) and led every lap of the main (with fastest lap)

Anyone know who else has done this?

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

2/14/2019 10:13 PM

Didn’t Eli do that 2 weeks ago at San Diego? I don’t remember if he led every lap in heat 2 or not but he had the fastest qualifying time, won the heat, and swept the main

|

2/14/2019 11:15 PM

Phillip_Lamb wrote:

I recently watched a program featuring Jim Clark, a famous f1 driver who died in '68 who was argueable the best driver ever. In his career they mentioned he had achieved 8 times (next highest is 5) what was known as a Grandslam, where a driver: won pole position, set the fastest lap time and led every single lap of the race.

After watching Minneapolis Forkner did just that. He won pole in qualifying, led every lap of his heat(with fastest time) and led every lap of the main (with fastest lap)

Did AC just do it? It's not that rare in our sport.

|

2/14/2019 11:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2019 11:23 PM

Hell, how many times did McGrath do that? I'm guessing 20-30+... Maybe over 40.

|

James

2/14/2019 11:42 PM

Phillip_Lamb wrote:

tcallahan707 wrote:

Did AC just do it? It's not that rare in our sport.

i guess if its not that rare then maybe its not that exciting of a stat haha

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

2/15/2019 12:02 AM

SoCalMX70 wrote:

Hell, how many times did McGrath do that? I'm guessing 20-30+... Maybe over 40.

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

2/15/2019 4:28 AM

Not sure why you got a down vote on this, its a fair question. Even if it's not that rare in MX/SX, did it really deserve a down vote? Anywho, it does happen more often in our sport than in other racing I'm sure, but it's still an achievement! Considering how many people qualify as fastest and then the pace disappears in the heat or main, or people who are mediocre in qualifying absolutely crush it in the heat/main, I'd say to crush all three is pretty sweet.

|

2/15/2019 5:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2019 5:35 AM

It's usually called a "perfect day". I think AC did it at Glendale also.

|

2/15/2019 5:38 AM

Calling a perfect day a grandslam is pretty neat. I think those days are under recognized. Happens often but the difficulty is up there.

|

2/15/2019 8:34 AM

Not answering the question but.. That was a great piece on Jim Clark.. Love The Grand Tour this season.

|

Name withheld... Esquire

2/15/2019 8:35 AM

mcgrath did it for 7 seasons. And threw in some nacnacs.

|

GP740
Since 1987

2/15/2019 9:17 AM

Lots of times they arent looking to 'win' qualifying, or even their heat. Bigger incentives would help. But might cause bad things to happen, especially in qualifying.

|

2/15/2019 12:13 PM

Phillip_Lamb wrote:

i guess if its not that rare then maybe its not that exciting of a stat haha

Yeah, and I am not sure lap times were recorded before transponders and timed qualifying became the norm.

The only thing that was probably kept by the officials before then was the elapsed time on the heats to determin which heat winner got first pick and which got second pick.

|

2/15/2019 12:51 PM

The Grand Tour has been great this season. The Jim Clark bit was excellent.

I don’t think this stat is very rare for motocross and Supercross though.

|