A. Martin and the MXGP series.

MXMattii
Edited Date/Time 6/2/2016 9:28am
We've all saw the amazing races from Alex Martin the past two nationals. But we can't ignore the fact that his team, mainly didn't offered him an new contract because his supercross results weren't that great. So then you are gonna think and the MXGP series are what pops up in the mind. Not?

Alex is 26 years old now, and could be a great asset for an MXGP team. A team like DP19 Racing, 24MX Lucas Oil Honda, Wilvo Virus Performance or Marchetti Racing could sign him as leadman. Teams such as Factory Suzuki, HRC Honda or Rinaldi Yamaha could sign him as second rider.

I don't know what he's making at the moment as 250 rider in the USA. But in Europe is could make, in the smaller teams, something between 65 and 120.000 euro plus bonuses and in those factory teams you can probably make a bit more around 200.000 as second rider.
|
BobPA
5/30/2016 3:28pm
Why is no one calling him a sandbagger? Seeing he has been in the class what 8 years?
tiddlermx23
5/30/2016 3:42pm
First overall ever this weekend and no championships. I see no sandbagging going on.
j100
5/30/2016 3:44pm
I wonder why guys like Baggett and Alessi who excel outdoors haven't done this in the past.

They could've been paid really good money in their prime and got to see the world.

SX isn't for everyone.

The Shop

Sodipop
5/30/2016 3:44pm
Because the outspoken media guy likes him unlike Martin davalos
5/30/2016 3:45pm
MXMattii wrote:
We've all saw the amazing races from Alex Martin the past two nationals. But we can't ignore the fact that his team, mainly didn't offered him...
We've all saw the amazing races from Alex Martin the past two nationals. But we can't ignore the fact that his team, mainly didn't offered him an new contract because his supercross results weren't that great. So then you are gonna think and the MXGP series are what pops up in the mind. Not?

Alex is 26 years old now, and could be a great asset for an MXGP team. A team like DP19 Racing, 24MX Lucas Oil Honda, Wilvo Virus Performance or Marchetti Racing could sign him as leadman. Teams such as Factory Suzuki, HRC Honda or Rinaldi Yamaha could sign him as second rider.

I don't know what he's making at the moment as 250 rider in the USA. But in Europe is could make, in the smaller teams, something between 65 and 120.000 euro plus bonuses and in those factory teams you can probably make a bit more around 200.000 as second rider.
I'm not seeing anything that suggests he can ride a 450 in top ten areas. Has anyone even seen or heard of him riding a 450?
Motoxdoc
5/30/2016 3:45pm
BobPA wrote:
Why is no one calling him a sandbagger? Seeing he has been in the class what 8 years?
LOL....because he didn't start winning until recently.....because he has won what?....2 motos and 1 overall? It's not the time you spend in a class that makes you a sandbagger. I know of life-long novice class racers, and trust me they're NOT sandbaggers. You have to crush the field consistently week after week, every moto....kind of like Gajser except to not have another bigger, faster class available to move up to. Kind of like Guillod except he only waited till he could beat the entire field straight up once before he moved up.....kind of like.....I can't remember who that was.....I know there's somebody that fits the description fairly well.....missle something or rocket? It'll come to me.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/30/2016 3:47pm
From a money stand point, he could do better here on a 250F since he has the chance to make bonus money (top 3) and doesn't have to spend as much (moving his life to Europe for one-to-two years). He's just coming into his own here and can run up front in the 250 class, why throw that away to move to Europe where he will have to be on a 450?
agn5009
5/30/2016 3:50pm
He had an awesome first two races. But he'd need to prove himself more as a whole this season before he would even be considered for a factory ride on a 450. Typically past champs either in SX or MX are the guys being given the factory rides.

Anyways, here's a question, say Alex continues his awesome rides this year and looks to be the best AMA 250 rider, can he be selected for the MXDN? Didn't he race for Puerto Rico or something?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/30/2016 4:04pm
agn5009 wrote:
He had an awesome first two races. But he'd need to prove himself more as a whole this season before he would even be considered for...
He had an awesome first two races. But he'd need to prove himself more as a whole this season before he would even be considered for a factory ride on a 450. Typically past champs either in SX or MX are the guys being given the factory rides.

Anyways, here's a question, say Alex continues his awesome rides this year and looks to be the best AMA 250 rider, can he be selected for the MXDN? Didn't he race for Puerto Rico or something?
He can be selected for MXdN on USA... Especially since he used the US as his claimed residence when riding for Puerto Rico (you don't need to be a citizen of Puerto Rico to race for them in the MXdN).
agn5009
5/30/2016 4:25pm
agn5009 wrote:
He had an awesome first two races. But he'd need to prove himself more as a whole this season before he would even be considered for...

ML512 wrote:
He can be selected for MXdN on USA... Especially since he used the US as his claimed residence when riding for Puerto Rico (you don't need...
He can be selected for MXdN on USA... Especially since he used the US as his claimed residence when riding for Puerto Rico (you don't need to be a citizen of Puerto Rico to race for them in the MXdN).
Awesome, that's great news for the USA and Puerto Rico if he doesn't get selected to represent us.
Crush
5/30/2016 4:52pm
If he keeps going like he is i'd be shocked Yamaha doesn't keep him... and if they don't i'd guess he jumps on a cycle trader bike and kills it again.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/30/2016 8:12pm
Crush wrote:
If he keeps going like he is i'd be shocked Yamaha doesn't keep him... and if they don't i'd guess he jumps on a cycle trader...
If he keeps going like he is i'd be shocked Yamaha doesn't keep him... and if they don't i'd guess he jumps on a cycle trader bike and kills it again.
It'll be interesting, Star already has four guys for next year.
mb60
5/30/2016 8:17pm
ML512 wrote:
It'll be interesting, Star already has four guys for next year.
Plessinger

Farendis

Nichols

Harrison
MX Culture
5/30/2016 8:34pm
he's ridden a 450 in west supercross in '09 I believe.
hope he stays at Yamaha, but with these results, he'll be getting good offers here no doubt.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/30/2016 9:13pm
MX Culture wrote:
he's ridden a 450 in west supercross in '09 I believe. hope he stays at Yamaha, but with these results, he'll be getting good offers here...
he's ridden a 450 in west supercross in '09 I believe.
hope he stays at Yamaha, but with these results, he'll be getting good offers here no doubt.
2011, Honda CRF450R, before he swapped to a 250F for East Coast with Eleven 10 Mods.
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
5/31/2016 8:20am
Why does Davalos get bagged on for riding 250s? Mostly because he has somehow managed to have a factory or factory supported ride since turning pro in 2006 (yes, 10 years ago) yet he has only managed to win four regional SX races in that time span. Alex Martin, on the other hand, has really only ever landed a few factory guest appearances since his 2008 pro debut while mainly riding for privateer efforts or nominally manufacturer supported teams while having the occasional strong ride both indoors and out (including a moto win last year). Now he finally has a full-fledged factory ride and that extra support (much like we saw with Malcolm Stewart in SX this year) is showing in the results. Sure he could move up to the 450s, but I think Alex has more than earned his current success. GPs aren't a bad idea but I'd like to see him continue to shine Stateside for a while.

Yes, I'm an A-Mart and J-Mart fan. Good hardworking kids who are humble and absolutely fly on dirt bikes.

Oh, and since Puerto Rico isn't technically a sovereign nation, but instead is a province of the United States, any US citizen could potentially ride for PR under the current MXDN rules.
cali11
5/31/2016 8:38am
He wins the MX title or gets close, I'm sure he will be staying where he is at.
cali11
5/31/2016 8:40am
BobPA wrote:
Cause he has not been killing the field for the last 4-6 years.
5/31/2016 8:42am
bayodome wrote:
Why does Davalos get bagged on for riding 250s? Mostly because he has somehow managed to have a factory or factory supported ride since turning pro...
Why does Davalos get bagged on for riding 250s? Mostly because he has somehow managed to have a factory or factory supported ride since turning pro in 2006 (yes, 10 years ago) yet he has only managed to win four regional SX races in that time span. Alex Martin, on the other hand, has really only ever landed a few factory guest appearances since his 2008 pro debut while mainly riding for privateer efforts or nominally manufacturer supported teams while having the occasional strong ride both indoors and out (including a moto win last year). Now he finally has a full-fledged factory ride and that extra support (much like we saw with Malcolm Stewart in SX this year) is showing in the results. Sure he could move up to the 450s, but I think Alex has more than earned his current success. GPs aren't a bad idea but I'd like to see him continue to shine Stateside for a while.

Yes, I'm an A-Mart and J-Mart fan. Good hardworking kids who are humble and absolutely fly on dirt bikes.

Oh, and since Puerto Rico isn't technically a sovereign nation, but instead is a province of the United States, any US citizen could potentially ride for PR under the current MXDN rules.
^^^^^^
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/31/2016 9:23am
Why would he go to the GPs and be forced into the 450 class by the age rule when he has no prior success at home in the 450 class? This is a dumb question.
5/31/2016 10:01am
at the age of 26 and 8 years in MX2 with his first win , very lucky there is no age limit in MX2 in the USA ....
he would never had that win .......
moto282
5/31/2016 10:09am
at the age of 26 and 8 years in MX2 with his first win , very lucky there is no age limit in MX2 in the...
at the age of 26 and 8 years in MX2 with his first win , very lucky there is no age limit in MX2 in the USA ....
he would never had that win .......
If Herlings didn't have the rules changed so he could stay in MX2 he wouldn't have his recent wins either. Smile

Alex Martin is a good story. Worked hard to get to where his is now (remember the eleven 10 mods period?), and if anything is proof that an age limit in the 250F class is dumb. He would've had to quit the sport if he had to move to 450s years ago.
moto0852
5/31/2016 10:41am
BobPA wrote:
"Sandbagging" isn't a function or definition of someone who has been in the class for a long time. It's someone who is fast enough to move up and challenge at the next level but doesn't. There's a guy in MX2 right now that is a good example but his name eludes me.
sc961
5/31/2016 10:50am
How about this...
Nice ride Alex.
Great start to the 2016 outdoor season.
Keep it up, and seal a nice deal for 2017 and the future..
5/31/2016 10:54am
moto282 wrote:
If Herlings didn't have the rules changed so he could stay in MX2 he wouldn't have his recent wins either. :) Alex Martin is a good...
If Herlings didn't have the rules changed so he could stay in MX2 he wouldn't have his recent wins either. Smile

Alex Martin is a good story. Worked hard to get to where his is now (remember the eleven 10 mods period?), and if anything is proof that an age limit in the 250F class is dumb. He would've had to quit the sport if he had to move to 450s years ago.
youre wrong , the rule changed so he could win a 3rd championship , before you had to go up after winning 2 titles
did he win 3 titles ? nope ....

thats what i meant with my post ... he had to quit the sport , like so many talents do in MX2 and MXGP all because of a stupid age rule .......looks like he finally found his mojo , looking stronger as ever before ..i dont have any problem with Martin racing in MX2 for like 8 years

here you go

Jeffrey Herlings – Allowed a third year of World Championship defense in MX2
Approaching the 2014 season, it was unclear whether or not Jeffrey Herlings would be allowed to race in the MX2 World Championship. The rule had always been that once a rider won the World Championship in MX2, he would have one year to defend the title before moving up to MX1. Being only 19, Jeffrey is an extreme anomaly, having already won two MX2 titles. He was not yet ready to jump up to MX1 – most riders do that between the ages of 21-23 – so the Youthstream and FIM organizations made an exception, allowing Herlings to stay in the MX2 class and try for a third World Championship.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
5/31/2016 10:58am
dang. i didnt think he'd only be on a 1 year deal. hope he continues on this hot streak.

assuming yamaha doesnt keep him where does he go? Husky? Im pretty sure Geico is tapped out, same with PC and KTm,

i really only see room for him to go to a B team like the suzuki squads or some other lower team
brlatm
5/31/2016 12:05pm
sc961 wrote:
How about this...
Nice ride Alex.
Great start to the 2016 outdoor season.
Keep it up, and seal a nice deal for 2017 and the future..
Please do not bring reasonable thought into this thread, this is Vital after all.

Well said.
bwilky
6/2/2016 7:22am
BobPA wrote:
Can you really "sandbag" in the highest level of competition???

Post a reply to: A. Martin and the MXGP series.

The Latest