A Few Questions For 500AF Owners

3D
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 5:54pm
I've been thinking about making the big buy and was wondering a few things.
1) How is the traction compared to a 250 2 stroke?
2) Does is feel lighter than a 450?
3) How are they to start?
4) Do they vibrate that much?
5) After all the frame mods they do, does it feel like a home made bike or a regular new bike?
6) Are the motors tuned to the retarded 1980's type power or the later mellower power?

I am a +30A rider looking to buy possibly my last bike. I'm pretty much done racing.

Thanks, Dan D
|
calimxer91
11/6/2009 10:33am
Jtom said he would spin the tire on the rim quite a bit and vibrated pretty good.Front tire wore weird too.
ehr400
11/6/2009 10:37am
They actually ride pretty good. The suspension needs to be set up for the way the 500 motor is. Grearing also. I never have heard about tires doing that, maybe they werent inflated properly. I have had tires on my 450 spin as well. Remember the 500 doesn't make that much more power then the 450's do. I found they start pretty easy, normal 2 stroke.
Shawn142
11/6/2009 10:49am
After testing out one recently I can't really say I enjoyed it that much. The finished product is refined, it doesn't feel like someone super-glued it together or anything. The bike still technically handles like the frame intended it to, and feels lighter than the 450. The real problem is while the power is a bit above a 450, it's light switch. Even with the new frame pretty much like riding a 500 back in the day. It's all baby throttle and wheel spin with no linear power to speak of. It does vibrate noticeably more than what I'm use to, but I don't know if I'd call it bad.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
11/6/2009 11:06am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:48pm
Shawn142 wrote:
After testing out one recently I can't really say I enjoyed it that much. The finished product is refined, it doesn't feel like someone super-glued it...
After testing out one recently I can't really say I enjoyed it that much. The finished product is refined, it doesn't feel like someone super-glued it together or anything. The bike still technically handles like the frame intended it to, and feels lighter than the 450. The real problem is while the power is a bit above a 450, it's light switch. Even with the new frame pretty much like riding a 500 back in the day. It's all baby throttle and wheel spin with no linear power to speak of. It does vibrate noticeably more than what I'm use to, but I don't know if I'd call it bad.
That's funny, because although I haven't ridden the AF, my old CR500 may have been one of the most linear powerbands I've ever experienced. Now, it would happen fast if you yanked it or ran around in too low a gear, but still it was very controllable.

The Shop

11/6/2009 11:29am
I think the shawn guy is someone explaining the feeling of the bike if you go from low throttle to max. Because the CR500 can feel mellow somewhat if you just role on the throttle smoothly. The vibration will be there, although should be a non issue after riding a half dozen of times. The motor that he speaks of may be a 2 stroke issue. When you turn the throttle on a 4 stroke, the power is kind of gradual. On a 2 stroke, if you grab a handful, it revs with your hand. So, if you grab a handful of a 500AF, hang on tight. The motor definitely revs faster than a 450F
croom mx
11/6/2009 11:38am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2009 11:40am
I rode a 500 2 stroke for a long time. If you have never rode one its not so bad but you have to ride it smooth. You actually go faster if you keep the revs down. You find yourself riding a gear higher in most turns than a 250 2 stroke. Big berms you can slam and fan the clutch but it makes you tired pretty quick. The best part is there is lots of torque in the 500 2 strokes. The sound of a 2 stroke alone beats the others.
Rooster
11/6/2009 11:41am
You can either adjust your style to lug the bike a gear higher or add a flywheel weight to calm down the hit.
WhKnuckle
11/6/2009 12:24pm
It depends a lot on how you ride the bike. I always tell people "if it sounds right, you're in too low of a gear". Keep shifting up and let the bike pull and it's magic. Ride it so that the engine 'sounds right' and you're fighting the bike. Keep in mind that it's about 55 hp - not a whole lot more than a 450 - but it produces that power at 7000 RPM, not 9500, so it's a much stronger feel. I think they're better when they're geared pretty high, then you don't shift as much. But you might have to use first gear occasionally in real slow rut corners.

Handling-wise, I've never ridden a 450 that I was real comfortable on, so I just can't compare them. It feels more stable than a 250 two stroke because it has a heavier crank and that's a lot of gyro effect. Most of the 450 riders who've ridden my bike love the way it turns.

Suspension has to be set up for the 500. The newer bikes ('07 and up) are built on a CRF250R chassis and the 500 loads the rear end more than a 250F.

They're as reliable as a rock, start pretty easy (if they're hard to start, my experience is the reed valve is leaking) and very, very fun to ride. Much more fun that a 450 to me, but like I said I never rode a 450 that I really got along with.

Some guys complain about vibration but I don't notice it. My bikes have RG3 top clamps with 4-post rubber bar mounts. You can feel it in the pegs some, but it doesn't bother me. Some guys notice it more.

Overall, they're very, very strong running bikes, handle well, and are super reliable. Oh, and real versatile - my bike is geared for MX and can run 90 MPH.
3D
11/6/2009 1:46pm
Thanks guys. I wish I could find one to ride. That's alot of money for something I'm not sure of. I guess one really good thing about them is that they seem to sell for a bunch even after a couple years. Maybe I'll just get a new YZ250. There half the price and I know I can ride one well. At Monster Mountain I was faster on an 08 YZ250 than I was on my own CRF450. That is a track that traction is not an issue though.
DrSweden
11/6/2009 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2009 2:30pm
I rode one a couple of months ago.

1. Feels like a very potent 250 two stroke, at least the ported CR500 99 in a CRF450 2007 frame I tested.

2. Similar traction, but the rear wheel of course spun more because of the power.

3. Ok. It fires up quickly, but the compression is not something you just kick while seating, you need to think before you kick if you get what I mean. I had to stand up, and for the first time ever I felt that there's a possibility that you can damage a knee while kicking because of the extra force. But it's not really a problem...

4. Yes, it did vibrate a lot. Not nice.

5. Felt like a regular bike, but this friend of mine is skilled!

6. I dunno.

This is a bike that you have to be very passionate to own and ride. Basically it sux in every damn department compared to a 450. There's no way in Universe any person in the world is faster on this one. When I went back to my CRF250F it felt like being part of evolution right there. So nimble, so perfect in every aspect.

Not all things in life have to be based on sense. The Braaap sound gave me a boner for 40 minutes. That has to be worth some, but don't fool yourself that this pig is going to handle better than a four stroke. There's a reason they stopped building them...
AMA714
11/6/2009 2:18pm
3D wrote:
Thanks guys. I wish I could find one to ride. That's alot of money for something I'm not sure of. I guess one really good thing...
Thanks guys. I wish I could find one to ride. That's alot of money for something I'm not sure of. I guess one really good thing about them is that they seem to sell for a bunch even after a couple years. Maybe I'll just get a new YZ250. There half the price and I know I can ride one well. At Monster Mountain I was faster on an 08 YZ250 than I was on my own CRF450. That is a track that traction is not an issue though.
Get in touch with AJ, plan a road trip to go ride MX at motoland in Indiana... There will be a half dozen 500AF at the track and most of the guys will try to get you to ride their bike... I moved before I got the chance, but a bunch of good guys up there.

Hey W- Knuckles... I will be over in the Woodlands at thanksgiving... wanna meet up at 3Palms??
Zach
11/6/2009 2:32pm
DrSweden wrote:
I rode one a couple of months ago.1. Feels like a very potent 250 two stroke, at least the ported CR500 99 in a CRF450 2007...

1. Feels like a very potent 250 two stroke, at least the ported CR500 99 in a CRF450 2007 frame I tested.

2. Similar traction, but the rear wheel of course spun more because of the power.

3. Ok. It fires up quickly, but the compression is not something you just kick while seating, you need to think before you kick if you get what I mean. I had to stand up, and for the first time ever I felt that there's a possibility that you can damage a knee while kicking because of the extra force. But it's not really a problem...

6. I dunno.

This is a bike that you have to be very passionate to own and ride. Basically it sux in every damn department compared to a 450. There's no way in Universe any person in the world is faster on this one. When I went back to my CRF250F it felt like being part of evolution right there. So nimble, so perfect in every aspect.

Not all things in life have to be based on sense. The Braaap sound gave me a boner for 40 minutes. That has to be worth some, but don't fool yourself that this pig is going to handle better than a four stroke. There's a reason they stopped building them...
Chassis wise, a 500AF in a 450F frame will handle like a 450. Most of the current one's are running 250 frames. We use the CR250R last gen frame on ours. I believe AJ uses a CRF250 chassis.
DrSweden
11/6/2009 2:36pm
Chassis wise, a 500AF in a 450F frame will handle like a 450. Most of the current one's are running 250 frames. We use the CR250R...
Chassis wise, a 500AF in a 450F frame will handle like a 450. Most of the current one's are running 250 frames. We use the CR250R last gen frame on ours. I believe AJ uses a CRF250 chassis.
Maybe so, but if Honda motor corp figure that a engine with more than 40 hp belongs in an another frame and the one they made for less than 40 hp, I say maybe the 450 frame doesn't damage the experience that much since Honda motor corp figure that out?

But maybe Honda are fools? Smile
11/6/2009 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:49pm
Huh? The 450 motor is bigger. The frame isn't any tougher...

For instance. The CR125 and CR250 use exactly the same frame and subframe. But they had different weld placings on the exhaust subframe area and the cradle was shorter on the CR125. The head stay etc was exactly the same. Not because of strength.

By the way, Honda isn't perfect. Miedoso Racing has found a very huge flaw in their intakes of the 02 and up CR's. Plus the carb selection was crap. Just unplugging their carb to the computer helps. Sure on Dyno's etc they probably say one thing. But anyone who knows the 02 up CR's will tell you somethings are off.
Let's not get started on their choice of electronic valves....
AJ
11/6/2009 2:55pm
can i answer? Wink

1.if you ride it like a 500, it has way more low end than a 2 stroke 250,,and has better traction , that huge crank helps Smile
they fcan b eahamdfull,but they van also b emellow tractirs,, upt oyour throttle han dand
how they are tuned.

way too many guys tune them to be brutes with light switch power.

2.it IS way lighter than a 450,, about 10 -15 pounds.,
it feels worlds lighter than that even.
it only weighs a couple pounds more than the 250F it is made out of..

3.i'm 5'8 145 pounds soaking wet.
i start them al day on kick or two..raced them for ever ,,it isnt a problem.
but it does take technique,
its a big empty coffee can at start up.
s overy lean.
if you kic kit thru slow to "charge the cylinder" it should ligh tin on ekick o rtwo.
if yoiu dont,
youll kick your leg off because there isnt any fuel mixture in the jug to light..

i just starteed one sunday for a buddy,, h ehad kicked for awhile,
i one kicked it in tennis shoes,(stupid but i dint have my boots near)
its not hard to learn.. but if you dont follow a short smal ldrill, ,youll struggle.

actually after its been running ,,just kick it like any other bike. but with "intewnt"

4.at idle any 500 2 stroke vibrates,, big piston, big power ,,non couterbalnced engine.
once yo utake iyt off th estan dand ride, yo udont notice it (and its closer to , or at ,
its balance rpm point ,,so isnt really noticible unoess your really sensitive
at idle though,or reved way out.. absolutely..

5.you cant tell it from new, that's the whole idea.
(and the frame is stronger than OEM)

6.i fyo uorder a stock 500AF, its a stock CR500 enfgine 2001 ewas th lastest year fo rparts,, so iuts a brand "new" 2001 CR500 engine ,hand assembled here.
it comes stock,but
it can be ported for mellower hit,,or smoother transition.

if you ride them a gear high, onbe o fth eeasiest bikes to ride,, all torque.

as a side note: every pr otester that wwe are the magz have teste dwith a trandponder i nalap times ,was faster on a 500AF tha non thier own personal 450's ,,
so while doc sweeden might not get along with them.. Smile
it isnt a fact that noone can ride them faster.

im certainly without any doubt faster on my 500,than on a 250F or 450..

also- fo rwhatever reason- i cant ride a 125 to save my life..
different strokes for different folks.

you're welcome to ride mine anytime you want or are in the area.
(illinois/indiana..)

i'll probably be at FVOR or FMX paradise sunday..havnt decided yet..
(i just broke my nose badly yesterday,,and no not on the 500AF)
WhKnuckle
11/6/2009 5:16pm
3D wrote:
Thanks guys. I wish I could find one to ride. That's alot of money for something I'm not sure of. I guess one really good thing...
AMA714 wrote:
Get in touch with AJ, plan a road trip to go ride MX at motoland in Indiana... There will be a half dozen 500AF at the...
Get in touch with AJ, plan a road trip to go ride MX at motoland in Indiana... There will be a half dozen 500AF at the track and most of the guys will try to get you to ride their bike... I moved before I got the chance, but a bunch of good guys up there.

Hey W- Knuckles... I will be over in the Woodlands at thanksgiving... wanna meet up at 3Palms??
Zach
Sure, that'd be fun. PM me and we'll get together. Maybe I can talk Bobby B (Racer92) to come down, too.
docweedon
11/6/2009 5:39pm
It's a 500 motor....you will have vibration...no getting around that part...

it's a 500 motor....the power is intense...they will rev to the moon...and then some...not like a 450 that stops at the rev limiter...

It's a 500 motor...they can be a pain to start if you don't kick it like a "man"

Sure...it's dressed up in a newer frame, but a 500cc 2 stroke will always be a beast...no matter what it looks like!
drmarkr
11/6/2009 5:49pm
3D wrote:
I've been thinking about making the big buy and was wondering a few things. 1) How is the traction compared to a 250 2 stroke? 2)...
5) After all the frame mods they do, does it feel like a home made bike or a regular new bike?
6) Are the motors tuned to the retarded 1980's type power or the later mellower power?

I am a +30A rider looking to buy possibly my last bike. I'm pretty much done racing.

Thanks, Dan D
I have one in the shop (actually in the trailer....rode it Wed night!). It's AJ's "old" bike...a 2006 CRF250 frameset.

1. Traction with a 120 is outstanding.
2. Does it FEEL lighter than a 450?? Hell yes, it IS 15 lbs lighter. Turns way better than my 07 CRF450. Turns just like my CRF250 (304 actually).....which is what you'd expect being in a 250f frame.
3. Start as easily as a 450f. Easier than a 250f.
4. Sitting in the pits revving the bike, you'll feel bar vibration. On the track, I never notice it.
5. see #2 above. Best turning bike in my stable.
6. Very smooth power delivery. Not the grunt on the bottom of a 450f, but damn fun to ride.

Drop by and you're welcome to take it for a spin. It used to be for sale, but I've decided to keep it for posterity.

3D
11/7/2009 4:23am
3D wrote:
I've been thinking about making the big buy and was wondering a few things. 1) How is the traction compared to a 250 2 stroke? 2)...

Thanks, Dan D
drmarkr wrote:
I have one in the shop (actually in the trailer....rode it Wed night!). It's AJ's "old" bike...a 2006 CRF250 frameset. 1. Traction with a 120 is...
I have one in the shop (actually in the trailer....rode it Wed night!). It's AJ's "old" bike...a 2006 CRF250 frameset.

1. Traction with a 120 is outstanding.
2. Does it FEEL lighter than a 450?? Hell yes, it IS 15 lbs lighter. Turns way better than my 07 CRF450. Turns just like my CRF250 (304 actually).....which is what you'd expect being in a 250f frame.
3. Start as easily as a 450f. Easier than a 250f.
4. Sitting in the pits revving the bike, you'll feel bar vibration. On the track, I never notice it.
5. see #2 above. Best turning bike in my stable.
6. Very smooth power delivery. Not the grunt on the bottom of a 450f, but damn fun to ride.

Drop by and you're welcome to take it for a spin. It used to be for sale, but I've decided to keep it for posterity.

Thanks Doc, It is definitely coming down to me having to ride one. I wish someone near me had one that I could ride. I have never seen one i person. Maybe I should be looking to get a used one.
chase383
11/7/2009 6:14am
3D-You mentioned you might just buy a new YZ250 instead. That certainly wouldn't be a bad decision. The bike is great and the price is certainly right!. I have raced 450's for a while now in the VET A classes and bought an 08 YZ250 last November. After going a little stiffer on the springs I find I can go as fast (and I think faster on sandier tracks) than I can on the 450.
It would be great if you could take up AJ on his offer!
DrSweden
11/7/2009 8:15am
3D wrote:
Thanks Doc, It is definitely coming down to me having to ride one. I wish someone near me had one that I could ride. I have...
Thanks Doc, It is definitely coming down to me having to ride one. I wish someone near me had one that I could ride. I have never seen one i person. Maybe I should be looking to get a used one.
No problem! Wink
AJ
11/8/2009 10:08am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:50pm
3D,

i generally have a used one or two for sale,, ,either some on our website,,

or since the webguy is slow at getting them posted ,

typically I have AFs that are not up on the preowned page..

ajwaggoner@servicehonda.com

Mark,, thanks for the pipe!!

i owe you shipping! let me know amount and if you have paypal? or send you a check?

AJ
11/8/2009 10:15am
3D..
i'm sure there are a few out in Pa,,
but the only one i know of off hand in Pa, is DC's brother Tim Coombs..

but i doubt he'd let you ride it, ,its his *baby* Wink

RACEGUY
11/8/2009 10:50am
The guys who consistanly ran at the front of the 500 classes were the guys who always looked smooth and in control. Those dudes had learned to short-shift and also finesse the bike off the corner rather than trying to explode out. The front of the field came at you with a distinctive bwaaahh, bwaaahh, bwaaaaahhhhh sound that was very different from the familiar braaappp of the 250 being ridden at the upper edges of the power band. Hey 3D - there's a story to tell your grandchildren. I wrecked Timmy Coombs AFBlush
09450f
11/8/2009 10:58am
i had 500's for 20 years..i would gear them so i used third for coming out of corners..it would grind out of the corner and hit the midrange and gone..

they sure are reliable
11/8/2009 11:40am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2009 11:41am
yea im considering getting one as well as i am a natural short shifter ( i always lug my bikes cuz i hate to make them scream) but my ONLY concern is the power...
croom mx
11/8/2009 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2009 1:55pm
Honda and Yamaha should build 500 2stroke again ,,,,green movement is very stong,,, thats is hurting 2 strokes. which are very CLEAN burning engines! Tell DC
3D
11/8/2009 4:08pm
croom mx wrote:
Honda and Yamaha should build 500 2stroke again ,,,,green movement is very stong,,, thats is hurting 2 strokes. which are very CLEAN burning engines! Tell DC
We could only wish. I don't think they're ever coming back though.
Swede
11/9/2009 4:25am
DrSweden wrote:
I rode one a couple of months ago.1. Feels like a very potent 250 two stroke, at least the ported CR500 99 in a CRF450 2007...

6. I dunno.

Hey Doc, I've had the pleasure to watch and listen to that #111 bike several times during this season (at Arlanda) and the dude goes pretty fast on it!
Racer92
11/9/2009 5:26am
WhKnuckle wrote:
Sure, that'd be fun. PM me and we'll get together. Maybe I can talk Bobby B (Racer92) to come down, too.
Would love to come out, keep me in the loop, Felicia wants to ride her new RM100.

Post a reply to: A Few Questions For 500AF Owners

The Latest