99 kx250 trans issue?

6/16/2013 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2013 8:14pm
what would cause a bike to "drop shifts"? apparently this guy says that his kx drops into a false neutral sometimes when he shifts. and he said he took the case apart and didnt see anything wrong. what would cause this?
|
MR. X
6/17/2013 4:01am
I thought the fix was to change the shifter shaft to a 2000, it been awhile though so I could be wrong.
6/17/2013 5:35am
That's pretty normal for KX250's, depending on severity of course. I had a 93 and then 95 model back in their day. Both send me over the bars a couple of times due to missed shifts before the up ramp of a jump. Was always a worry hucking big jumps where you had to shift just before. You just got to learn to really lift your toe when shifting up to be sure. There are shops around that can make them better though it will never be as nice or work like an RM or CR to shift.
CrashMaster
6/17/2013 7:00am
That's pretty normal for KX250's, depending on severity of course. I had a 93 and then 95 model back in their day. Both send me over...
That's pretty normal for KX250's, depending on severity of course. I had a 93 and then 95 model back in their day. Both send me over the bars a couple of times due to missed shifts before the up ramp of a jump. Was always a worry hucking big jumps where you had to shift just before. You just got to learn to really lift your toe when shifting up to be sure. There are shops around that can make them better though it will never be as nice or work like an RM or CR to shift.
Wow that's scary!Dry

The Shop

6/17/2013 7:32am
RM250racer wrote:
what would cause a bike to "drop shifts"? apparently this guy says that his kx drops into a false neutral sometimes when he shifts. and he...
what would cause a bike to "drop shifts"? apparently this guy says that his kx drops into a false neutral sometimes when he shifts. and he said he took the case apart and didnt see anything wrong. what would cause this?
It sounds like he just removed the right hand side case, it sounds like he needs to split the cases and check the shift forks and the engaging dogs of the gears.
6/17/2013 9:17am
It sounds like he just removed the right hand side case, it sounds like he needs to split the cases and check the shift forks and...
It sounds like he just removed the right hand side case, it sounds like he needs to split the cases and check the shift forks and the engaging dogs of the gears.
no he said he split then and didnt see anything wrong. but he didnt really sound like he knew too much about it. nothing wrong to him doesnt mean everything is okay.

as far as the shift fork, is that the same thing as a shift pin? cause my dad rides a 98 rm 250 and a shift pin bent leaving it stuck in second gear. could the same thing cause a false neutral?
6/22/2013 2:03pm
RM250racer wrote:
no he said he split then and didnt see anything wrong. but he didnt really sound like he knew too much about it. nothing wrong to...
no he said he split then and didnt see anything wrong. but he didnt really sound like he knew too much about it. nothing wrong to him doesnt mean everything is okay.

as far as the shift fork, is that the same thing as a shift pin? cause my dad rides a 98 rm 250 and a shift pin bent leaving it stuck in second gear. could the same thing cause a false neutral?
Sorry to take so long to reply. The shift fork is what rides on the shift pin, Suzuki's are known to have that problem not so much Kawasaki's (but you need to inspect both parts)
Gukamonster
6/22/2013 2:35pm
This bike is a complete POS and the crappy shifting was an issue on all of them, the 2000 was bad also. If nothing is broken after splitting the cases there is an old Indian trick to improve the shifting temporarily. Take the bike out into a field and shift up and down through all the gears about 5-10 times. Then drain the oil. Periodically do this shifting routine every few motos, not necessary to change the oil each time.
6/22/2013 2:54pm
well i got the bike and its actually a 98. and what its doing is not going into gear at all. and it happend out of no where. it wasnt starting by kicking it but you could bump start it and i did it 4 or 5 times successful and then i went to do it again and it wouldnt click into gear at all. up or down. all this in front of my house while adjusting carb. so its not like i was beating the shit out of it.
RUTCITY
6/22/2013 3:53pm
GET A

1997 KX250

there, problem solved
6/22/2013 7:32pm
I had a 97 KX250 and the same thing would happen with the shift fork. Cheap fix though.
Jack_Wagon
6/22/2013 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2013 7:52pm
If you can't tell the difference between a 98 and 99 KX 250 you probably are not competent enough to fix your bike even if someone told you exactly what is wrong with it. The best thing you could do is take it to someone who can fix it properly. You have to bump start it to get it to run and you're adjusting the carburetor? Does anybody else see the humor in that?
6/22/2013 7:58pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
If you can't tell the difference between a 98 and 99 KX 250 you probably are not competent enough to fix your bike even if someone...
If you can't tell the difference between a 98 and 99 KX 250 you probably are not competent enough to fix your bike even if someone told you exactly what is wrong with it. The best thing you could do is take it to someone who can fix it properly. You have to bump start it to get it to run and you're adjusting the carburetor? Does anybody else see the humor in that?
he said it was a 99 and i didnt see a picture. the second i got there i knew it wasnt. not adjusting the carb but finding out what was wrong with it. poor choice of words on my part. the float was stuck open and it was just pouring gas in so it was too flooded to kickstart but would start when bumpstarted.

and the problem was the little spring the connects with the shift drum was some ace spring that broke so when the spring that moves with the shifter moved, it wasnt connected to anything.
MR. X
6/22/2013 8:14pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
If you can't tell the difference between a 98 and 99 KX 250 you probably are not competent enough to fix your bike even if someone...
Chill out dude , everyone has to start somewhere . It must be nice to be born with the ability to fix anything.

Post a reply to: 99 kx250 trans issue?

The Latest