96 CR250 wheels on 05 CR125 - fit question

pretiso
Edited Date/Time 9/14/2015 2:18pm
Hi guys I am new here and I need your advice. I have 05 CR125, but it has only motard wheels (its plated italian HM Motors version). I want to try some dirt with it and I found in our local insertion set of 96 CR 250 wheels. Front wheel has the same hub as 05, so it should fit ok, but in the rear wheel there are few differences. What i found are different spacers and brake disc. Bearings are different too but the axle diameter should be the same (or not?). Spacers are not the problem. The problem is in the disc. I found that rear disc on 96 is smaller in diameter than 97+. On 05 are these larger discs (i think its the same diameter, but not for sure). So my question is -> will 97+ brake disc fit on 96 hub? Or what about other differences you are know?

Thanx a lot guys Smile
|
plynn41
9/14/2015 9:31am
I don't think the disc will fit without drilling the bolt holes out to a larger diameter. I've got a '05CR250R chassis that came to me with an earlier model rear wheel assembly (I don't know what year). When I bought a new '05CR250R rear rotor for it, the bolts wouldn't go through the disc holes. I drilled the rotor bolt holes out, but as you should know the rotors are hardened, and this is not easy with a drill press, and might be impossible without a drill press.

Also, I replaced the older wheel assembly's wheel bearings with the appropriate year bearings, because the later model bike has a larger rear axle--no problem. But the right side dust seal won't fit. I rode the bike for a couple of years without a dust seal, taking care to clean the axle after every ride and treat it with WD-40 immediately after washing. I've since changed wheel sets, but I've still got the older wheel for a backup.

Hope this helps.
pretiso
9/14/2015 2:18pm
Thanks for your informative reply Smile My idea was put there disc from 1997 CR 250. It has the diameter what I need. 97 disc and 05 disc are different too, so it may fit the default holes. Drilling holes is not the way I want to go. But that part with dust seal. If I managed to swap bearings for bearings from 05, can I use original 96 dust seal? But I dont know how to find bearings diameter, if it can be swapped. And i dont want to ride without a dust seal :D

Post a reply to: 96 CR250 wheels on 05 CR125 - fit question

The Latest