70 minutes of racing

Related:
Create New Tag

1/21/2018 5:50 AM

How does fox intend to keep viewers in the dvr generation entertained with so little racing in a 3 hour show?

39 minutes and 9 seconds in the 450

31 minutes and 39 seconds in the 250

70 minutes and 48 seconds total race time according to the ama race results. Almost the same time as the old format. Supercross needs to be a 2 hour tv show with racing the entire time.

|

1/21/2018 6:01 AM

Photo

|

1/21/2018 6:16 AM

Yep, I'm all for the 3 "moto" format, but put it in a 2 hour time frame. If they can race 20 minutes plus 1 lap I'm pretty sure they can handle 40 minutes of racing with only the break of the other class out on the track. Put the KTM class out there before the final moto to give a little extra recovery time. From the data about this would still give almost an hour of commercial time. Even my wife was saying whats the point of these commercials, they are always the same ones.

|

1/21/2018 6:16 AM

Its more than you normally get so i'm ok with it.

|

1/21/2018 7:01 AM

mx_phreek wrote:

Its more than you normally get so i'm ok with it.

It's really close to the same amount of race time.

|

1/21/2018 7:31 AM

Still way better than your average NFL game.

Photo

|

1/21/2018 7:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2018 7:37 AM

Back in the 80’s there was 12 races in the night program.

4 Heats
4 Semi’s
2 LCQ’s
2 Main Events

How about doing a Flash Back 12 Race like the old days????

|

1/21/2018 7:41 AM

We could make all the guys race the heats and semis. Pay points for the heats and semis and the main.

|

1/21/2018 7:49 AM

yak651 wrote:

Yep, I'm all for the 3 "moto" format, but put it in a 2 hour time frame. If they can race 20 minutes plus 1 lap I'm pretty sure they can handle 40 minutes of racing with only the break of the other class out on the track. Put the KTM class out there before the final moto to give a little extra recovery time. From the data about this would still give almost an hour of commercial time. Even my wife was saying whats the point of these commercials, they are always the same ones.

Even at 2 hours, there is way too much commercial time. The argument for this format is to get rid of all of the "meaningless" races. Replacing them with an hour and fifty minutes of commercials wasn't the answer.

|

1/21/2018 7:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2018 7:54 AM

The NFL knows how to control it. The NFL is the most watched sport in the United States. The NFL has the highest ratings of anything on television I believe. The Superbowl is consistently the highest rated thing on television each year.

Your comparison is bad. If you want change, don't compare it to the most successful sporting event on television.

|

1/21/2018 7:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2018 7:54 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

Back in the 80’s there was 12 races in the night program.

4 Heats
4 Semi’s
2 LCQ’s
2 Main Events

How about doing a Flash Back 12 Race like the old days????

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

1/21/2018 7:57 AM

How much time was spent trying to explain the triple crown format? Been around this shit since 1977 and the explanations left my head spinning. Anyone that doesent know the lingo and it’s meaning hasn’t a chance in hell to understand what’s going on. Use a diagram or a “bracket” for the visual and save a shit ton of time and words babbling about it.

|

1/21/2018 8:10 AM

Way too much dead time and way too many commercials. They were 10 - 15 of them in a row between track broadcast segments.
The format is ok, but hard for the general public to understand or keep track of.

Paw Paw

|

1/21/2018 8:12 AM

agn5009 wrote:

The NFL knows how to control it. The NFL is the most watched sport in the United States. The NFL has the highest ratings of anything on television I believe. The Superbowl is consistently the highest rated thing on television each year.

Your comparison is bad. If you want change, don't compare it to the most successful sporting event on television.

People really still watch NFL on the tube?
None of my crew still watch or even care.
Serious question----not a slam.

|

1/21/2018 8:15 AM

I was hoping they would show the last chance qualifier during one of the brakes, I bet that race was banging!

Hell show some FMX in between, or more POV videos from a previous race.

Do something to break up the monotony of constant commercials.

This is the first time they did a show like this, and there are lessons learned. Things have to happen between the motos for the riders and for the track officials, so a break is needed. There are more things they can do though for the TV audience in between.

|

1/21/2018 8:15 AM

agn5009 wrote:

Mini Elsinore wrote:

Lol are you for real? Not trying to be a dick but that is a really dumb question. I don’t even watch football and I know the answer to that.

|

1/21/2018 8:19 AM

But every week we get to see that woman are human too and actually rid dirtbikes in their spare time ! Who knew ?

|

1/21/2018 8:21 AM

They can't serious..... the racing is what everyone wants too see, and it's the product that Feld sells. But this format dosent benefit the at home fan at all. Viewership is going to go down, no matter how bad they pat themselves on the back and say it's working. That was bad.

|

1/21/2018 8:21 AM

MR. X wrote:

But every week we get to see that woman are human too and actually rid dirtbikes in their spare time ! Who knew ?

This new segment is a total waste of time. I would racing see racing than that garbage.

|

1/21/2018 8:22 AM

I’m okay with this all sports have downtime but the intermissions were a little drawn out. I think the best answer is having a b main for the 23-40 fastest qualifiers to give them exposure and a like extra coin for the winners.

|

1/21/2018 8:25 AM

Add in some bracket racing for championship points - and not just for first place. 1-3 get points. Do that in between the races to fill in some dead space/commercials. Would make the series more interesting as well as the night show.

When you think about it, AX really does have a lot of this already figured out. Suppose if SX copies AX, it won't look like SX is the premier class or the premier venue.

|

1/21/2018 8:31 AM

Mini Elsinore wrote:

Man, no kidding. I don't pay attention to the NFL unless the Yankees are playing.

|

1/21/2018 8:34 AM

The way these guys train nowadays and 8 minute “main event” is a joke. All the racers they interviewed commented on how short the races are and it was chaos. Have them do at least 15-20 minutes so their fitness can show. What’s he point of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to trainers if they are out there for 8 minutes. Local c class races are longer than that. During the outdoors they are out there in much rougher and hotter conditions for two 35 minute Moto’s with less of a break. Do the promoters think they need 45 minutes to recover?

|

1/21/2018 8:44 AM

Commercials are required.... also in case you have never been to a supercross event, they have track prep and side shows between motos to keep the crowd entertained.

Like others said.. have you seen football? You get like 10 seconds of playing before they stand around. Cant stand ball sports because of that.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

1/21/2018 8:50 AM

I'd be ok with this format
Sorry can't embed from phone.

|

1/21/2018 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2018 9:00 AM

They need the downtime for the bike prep and to have time to repair anything from crashes etc. The riders also need some time after pushing that hard, even for a short time. Do you want more injuries?

I think a great option would be a "B" main with the guys that were 22-40. 2 of those during the downtime in each class. This would eliminate most of the gaps IMO.

|

Facebook.com/8tensolutions
Twitter and Instagram @8tensolutions

1/21/2018 9:05 AM

8tensolutions wrote:

They need the downtime for the bike prep and to have time to repair anything from crashes etc. The riders also need some time after pushing that hard, even for a short time. Do you want more injuries?

I think a great option would be a "B" main with the guys that were 22-40. 2 of those during the downtime in each class. This would eliminate most of the gaps IMO.

Lol I dunno, I feel like B mains would be the injury races. Those B practices are always terrifying to watch.

I'd prefer the main events just all be 12 or 15 min long.

|

1/21/2018 9:09 AM

MR. X wrote:

spd721 wrote:

This new segment is a total waste of time. I would racing see racing than that garbage.

The only fix is to watch something else or read something between races . I'm not even sure who sponsors the mud as makeup segment but its a waste of their money.

|

1/21/2018 9:23 AM

MR. X wrote:

The only fix is to watch something else or read something between races . I'm not even sure who sponsors the mud as makeup segment but its a waste of their money.

I did not watch that Mud/Makeup thing. I suppose they are doing that to try and get women interested in the show so they can sell more advertising aimed at women? All the changes are geared toward getting more advertising revenue. I don't believe Feld Motosports "Asked the fans" about anything, with regard to the Triple Crown format or eliminating the Semis for the rest of the SX races. When you read all the input, here and on the Supercross Facebook page, the comments against this Triple Crown bull shit are overwhelmingly against. Feld shut down the circus last year and all their circus people have been moved to Supercross.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

1/21/2018 10:02 AM

GTCD15317 wrote:

They can't serious..... the racing is what everyone wants too see, and it's the product that Feld sells. But this format dosent benefit the at home fan at all. Viewership is going to go down, no matter how bad they pat themselves on the back and say it's working. That was bad.

Agreed. Horrable for the TV audience. It will be interesting to see how the TV ratings will be. My guess is they will be lower than normal.

|