6D helmets Omni-Directional suspension

Related:
Create New Tag

11/30/2012 11:10 AM

Pretty interesting new technology. We'll have much more on this later.

Seperate inner and outer liners with multiple dampers between them.

Photo

|

11/30/2012 11:55 AM

|

11/30/2012 12:00 PM

$745 for a helmet? ha!

|

WFO #229

11/30/2012 12:27 PM

nadeauracing229 wrote:

$745 for a helmet? ha!

Clearly whatever is in your head isn't worth the $745 to protect...

|

11/30/2012 12:31 PM

nadeauracing229 wrote:

$745 for a helmet? ha!

Grieby54 wrote:

X2 - MSRP for most Shoei helmets are around $600 using "old technology". If there is a new technology that may offer more protection, surely it's worth a little more money. Suppose you could use the $800 on a pipe instead of something that will protect you...

|

11/30/2012 12:37 PM

nadeauracing229 wrote:

$745 for a helmet? ha!

Grieby54 wrote:

yak651 wrote:

X2 - MSRP for most Shoei helmets are around $600 using "old technology". If there is a new technology that may offer more ...more

Bingo...

|

11/30/2012 1:26 PM

Wow. Read up on the technology. It is presented well and very impressive. The dampers are designed to cushion low force impacts, which are a highly neglected by current helmet standards tests and every bit as dangerous to the human brain as high force impacts.

Most body-worn safety gear is designed to only dissipate the impact. There's not much technology to reduce the acceleration of an impact.
Current mx protection has just become inadequate for the potential crash force in today's motocross.

It's good to see any innovations in safety gear and I hope this helmet damper system every bit as good as it claims.

|

Mike

11/30/2012 2:08 PM

MX45 wrote:

Wow. Read up on the technology. It is presented well and very impressive. The dampers are designed to cushion low force ...more

Good description. I talked with a couple of the GEICO Honda mechanics, and they were talking about how they'd seen riders suffer relatively minor crashes and come off the track loopy. The Snell standard is good for massive impacts, but some feel it's too tough for dirt-related hits.

Regardless, it's cool to see some new technology.

|

11/30/2012 2:19 PM

The concept is intriguing. I wonder how much they weigh.

|

11/30/2012 2:25 PM

Daystar99 wrote:

The concept is intriguing. I wonder how much they weigh.

1490grams

|

11/30/2012 2:52 PM

nadeauracing229 wrote:

$745 for a helmet? ha!

x2 on that. Not the fact that the protection isn't worth it but the problem is the sport keeps on getting more expensive. Normal guys (like me) can't afford to drop $800 on a helmet! I'm all for innovation and hope it works well. Maybe they'll release a less expensive version down the road.

|

11/30/2012 3:01 PM

mattmatt300 wrote:

x2 on that. Not the fact that the protection isn't worth it but the problem is the sport keeps on getting more expensive. ...more

Not to make it confrontational, but what sport has gotten less expensive? blink

|

11/30/2012 3:07 PM

nadeauracing229 wrote:

$745 for a helmet? ha!

mattmatt300 wrote:

x2 on that. Not the fact that the protection isn't worth it but the problem is the sport keeps on getting more expensive. ...more

GuyB wrote:

I understand your point completely. They all have. The problem IMO is that mx was expensive to start with but you could squeeze your way into it but that's getting less doable.

|

11/30/2012 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2012 3:19 PM

MX45 wrote:

Wow. Read up on the technology. It is presented well and very impressive. The dampers are designed to cushion low force ...more

Exactly. Been there, done that.
My first ride back once after a broken something, I switched from Suzuki's to Kawis in the down time. Anyway, first ride out and I fell over in a corner, came back to the truck and was like, who's bike is that? The doc released me to ride? Who's bike is that?

Edit, how the hell did I quote myself? See, head bumps as a kid will catch up with you! Anyway, I was responding to GuyB saying riders have had minor crashes and come off the track loopy.

|

Mike

11/30/2012 3:16 PM

Looks cool. Definitely in the "serious racer" market only though as Joe Customer with the typical income is NOT going to buy this helmet no matter how good you/they say it is.

|

Shop Local-Free Shipping www.glenssportcenter.com

11/30/2012 3:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2012 3:48 PM

If you click to paypal link to buy the helmet its only $400. The $745 is just the MSRP.

*nevermind...thats just the deposit lol

|

"I put the purple/bluish powerband in it. I feel that it makes the bike run more like a wild tiger with a rubber band around his man bag."

11/30/2012 4:06 PM

nadeauracing229 wrote:

$745 for a helmet? ha!

mattmatt300 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Cow tipping?

|

11/30/2012 4:11 PM

avidchimp wrote:

Cow tipping?

No. The cows unionized and demanded medical coverage. It's actually more expensive now.

|

11/30/2012 4:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2012 4:20 PM

Damn union workers.... Oh wait. whistling

|

11/30/2012 4:23 PM

Interesting. The Airoh helmets address these low impact issues as well, as being build more like a downhill or bmw helmet that are more fragile, meaning absorbs more energy low speed to the cost (I assume) that it will not match a solid iron helmet build for someone crashing 200 mph into a brick wall or something. This helmet with those shocks absorbers seems also have a shell that might work with high impact energy. Simple, maybe will set the new standard? Me dig a lot, I'm a potential buyer for sure.

Only issue is that the helmet is one ugly mother, looks 1999-ish? WTF? All this work, and they used a designer with mental retardation?

|

11/30/2012 7:43 PM

Photo

I'm old enough to remember this Bell ad. It was clever then, and the message applies today as well.
|

11/30/2012 7:53 PM

From what I read the helmet satisfies DOT and SNELL correct? Plus we get low speed impact protection? If so then this is definitely a huge step in the right direction.

Will be interesting to see if helmet companies repeat 6D's tests to see if the research is valid. Obviously 6D has done their homework, but their is always the chance of manipulating the data to produce the intended results.

Not that I ever wish for anyone to get injured but I am very curious to see how these helmets perform in the real world.

Should these helmets prove to be substantially better then current helmets in protection from low speed crashes how will this play out for riders wanting to wear the helmet yet are bound by head to toe contracts form competing brands?

|

11/30/2012 8:24 PM

EddieC wrote:

From what I read the helmet satisfies DOT and SNELL correct? Plus we get low speed impact protection? If so then this is ...more

DOT and ECE. They're talking about doing Snell for their future road helmets, but not for moto. The facility they used for testing (I don't have the material handy for the name) is well-respected. Sounds like head-to-toe guys will be SOL. smile

The thing that was interesting to me was that the GEICO Honda management I talked to said that the deal for their riders to use it didn't come with a big check. They believe in the technology.

|

11/30/2012 8:41 PM

For those who haven't ventured over to their site...maybe this will help you better visualize what's going on with the helmets.

Photo

|

11/30/2012 9:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2012 9:09 PM

It is ABOUT TIME someone is moving towards new tech in this space.

This is very interesting - the helmet itself looks fairly NoFear-ish which would make sense right? Surwall was behind NoFear, now behind Alias and I assume Alias and 6D are ... Hm I see Weber is the Founder with 6D. I still assume there is a connection / affiliation. But that's trivial - I'm pumped to see someone take this product and at least try to make a better product.

Anyway - great job Bob - keep it up.

|

11/30/2012 9:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2012 9:16 PM

Will this type of helmet design make the helmet reusable more often after a crash? That could justify me spending more, along with the higher safety factor. I know I would throw it away if it cracked, just wondering since it seems to not be foam based.

I think I will be looking into purchasing one once they come out in february.

|

11/30/2012 9:16 PM

nadeauracing229 wrote:

$745 for a helmet? ha!

Grieby54 wrote:

No it is but come on the prices for some stuffs ridiculous now I wouldn't mind having one of these but I don't see it happening unless I hit the lotto.

|

WFO #229

11/30/2012 9:26 PM

KGAspeed wrote:

It is ABOUT TIME someone is moving towards new tech in this space.

This is very interesting - the helmet itself looks fairly ...more

I don't believe there's any alliance there. Robert Reisinger and Dale Davis are two of the others involved.

|

11/30/2012 9:31 PM

GuyB wrote:

For those who haven't ventured over to their site...maybe this will help you better visualize what's going on with the ...more

That's pretty sweet!

Have you seen em in real life? Seen the elastomers working and what not...

Wish there was more open source testing etc... Great to see them developing some tech tho!!!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/30/2012 10:32 PM

Crush wrote:

That's pretty sweet!

Have you seen em in real life? Seen the elastomers working and what not...

Wish there was more open ...more

Yep, I've seen 'em. I like.

Hey, can someone embed this one for me? I can't do it from my phone.

http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/6D-Helmet-Intro-Broc-Heplers-Story,7956/GuyB,64

|