6D Helmet Rebuild Program

phatfi20
5/3/2017 6:24am
This isn't a thread about how I crashed hard and I didn't have a concussion. A description is so subjective and so many factors apply that it really doesn't help you. It is about my experience of getting my helmet rebuilt, which i don't think other brands offer this option.

So I had two bad crashes. After the first sent my helmet out to 6D for their inspection program. Derek at 6D called me up after receipt/inspection and went into detail about what happened with the helmets internals. He explained why the helmet should be rebuilt, and why it did not need to be replaced. He was interested in any head injury (there wasn't any) and both times he could tell me exactly where the damage location was and the severity of the crash without me telling him. He then asked if i needed the helmet back asap or at a specific time. Costs was $175 and they rebuild and actually updated the internals. They replace visor/hardware and a full clean to look like new. 100% impressed with what they did.

Derek remembered me the second time I sent it back, I told him hopefully we don't talk too often. After the second crash he said the helmet is a candidate for replacement. It would still be unsafe because the internals, which are rebuildable, looked ok but the chin bar had lost its integrity to sustain another crash safely. I did crash face first pretty hard. He went through with me on the phone the reasons for this and then emailed me a crash report with pictures with notes superimposed providing explanation. It was obvious that it was toast.

I almost talked myself out of sending it away the second time and wanted to convince myself it would be fine. I think that is a dangerous trap. Its important to be disciplined that a helmet is meant to take a big hit and then could be a real safety hazard if you crash again.He advised that they would provide a discount if I chose another 6D. I am taking them up on that because the discount is good.

Despite 6D being the most expensive helmet, the inspection program makes the 6D helmets much more economical and can save you from buying a new helmet(s) you actually didn't need.

|
rongi#401
5/3/2017 6:28am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 6:28am
i like. i just bought a 6d recently
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
5/3/2017 6:52am
We have been through a couple of them after crashes, one I sent in and they said needed replacing. Second time I sent pics and it was obvious it was in need of replacement. Both times they gave us a killer deal on a new unit. 1st class customer service at its best...
Moto520
5/3/2017 7:14am
I'm not a huge fan of the fit on this helmet but will agree that the customer service is amazing. I crashed in one and was concerned that it was damaged. They recommended sending it for inspection. 2 weeks later I was told that the helmet was good to go. The staff was eager to help and this is what stood out with my transaction.
49weasel
5/3/2017 8:17am
I am slowly selling myself on one but the price is crazy.I can get a moto 9 flex for a little over $300 and the best price on a 6d is close to $600. I do notice a lot of pros that have hit their head a lot have switched or stayed with 6d.

The Shop

Crush
5/3/2017 8:18am
Even if you don't believe in their build philosophy, I'm glad they've put a rocket up the arse of the industry to lift their game.

MMCDan
5/3/2017 8:51am
I gave up on waiting for Shoei to update their MX line so I swapped over to 6D. I haven't had the need to contact customer service or (thankfully) helmet repair but I am completely satisfied with the fit, finish and look of the helmets.
phatfi20
5/3/2017 9:03am
Crush wrote:
Even if you don't believe in their build philosophy, I'm glad they've put a rocket up the arse of the industry to lift their game.

Can't agree more.

That is why I love what KTM is doing. They made the Japanese start putting renthals/real handlebars on stock bikes 15 years ago and its been a race ever since.

5/3/2017 12:05pm

I live in Sweden.
Do the rebuild/discount program work in Europe ?

phatfi20
5/3/2017 12:21pm
Dirtdemon wrote:

I live in Sweden.
Do the rebuild/discount program work in Europe ?

I don't see why not.

You would just have to pay to ship/insure it to their headquarters in California.

Post a reply to: 6D Helmet Rebuild Program

The Latest