6D ATR-2 with goggles?

Turre
Edited Date/Time 9/21/2018 8:43am
Hey, I'm somewhat due for a new helmet, and I'm considering between the ATR-2 and Moto-9 with MIPS or Flex. I like how the close chin of the Bell seems to make a nice "roost seal" with certain goggles (like the Scott Prospect). The ATR-1 clearly had a very long ching, but the ATR-2 brought this closer to the riders face.

How do different goggles, especially with bigger frame (Prospect, Airbrake etc.) sit with the ATR-2? I don't have a retailer anywhere nearby so I can't really get to fiddle it myself. That's why I'd really appreciate if someone could post photos/pics with the helmet and some goggles! They are non-existent when googling.
|
MBR
6/24/2018 10:14pm
I know the OffroadPro magazine back in Finland did a review of the helmet with all the info in their 3/18 issue Wink I had no trouble using Airbrakes or Fox Vue with the ATR-2, but the goggle fitment has also a lot to do with your face shape. Photos by ML512.

Turre
6/24/2018 10:31pm
Haha, so cool MBR! Yea I read the article, said magazine keeps showing up in my postbox with regular intervals. Wink One of the main reasons that got me interested in this helmet too. Thanks a bunch for the pics, exactly like I was looking for! Can't recall if they were in the article as well though, for some reason didn't think of looking there.
6/25/2018 12:06am
I recently got an ATR-2 and with a prospect it's definitely roost sealed haha! They have a huge nose guard, that most of their pro riders at Geico actually even rim down a little bit. It's even a little bit tricky to put goggles on and off at first but you get the hang of it pretty fast. In the pictures here I'm not even running the nose guard of the goggle.

I'm a strong believer in the technology in the 6D helmets and suggest you to inform yourself on the different systems that 6D and Bell use. Look at what is causing concussions and how each system tries to reduce these forces. I could tell you that it's safer all day but I guess you'll only really believe it if you get into this topic yourself!
The ATR-2 may be a bit pricier, but you can actually send them in and get them rebuilded (or a discount price on a new one if destroyed beyond repair) while you'd have to buy a completely new Bell.

Lynch
6/25/2018 12:53am
I recently got an ATR-2 and with a prospect it's definitely roost sealed haha! They have a huge nose guard, that most of their pro riders...
I recently got an ATR-2 and with a prospect it's definitely roost sealed haha! They have a huge nose guard, that most of their pro riders at Geico actually even rim down a little bit. It's even a little bit tricky to put goggles on and off at first but you get the hang of it pretty fast. In the pictures here I'm not even running the nose guard of the goggle.

I'm a strong believer in the technology in the 6D helmets and suggest you to inform yourself on the different systems that 6D and Bell use. Look at what is causing concussions and how each system tries to reduce these forces. I could tell you that it's safer all day but I guess you'll only really believe it if you get into this topic yourself!
The ATR-2 may be a bit pricier, but you can actually send them in and get them rebuilded (or a discount price on a new one if destroyed beyond repair) while you'd have to buy a completely new Bell.

What other helmets have you used? How they fit that is as my head seems to be one of a kind Laughing

The Shop

Turre
6/25/2018 1:28am
Thanks GER_shortymx, stoked about your pics! Prospect looks like a perfect fit for ATR-2, just like it looks for Moto-9. Could you fit the Prospects there with the nose guard attached if you wanted/tried?

I actually do a lot of research on stuff I'm planning on buying. Some could say that it is even too much, hah. Definitely looks like 6D is on it's own level when it comes to safety. Customer service also seems to be top notch, although I of course don't have a personal take on it. Lots of good things going for them, which makes the helmet desirable.

I just think that a new quality helmet with MIPS might be more than enough for me, making 6D seem a bit of an overkill even. (Yea, no such thing in safety). I ride purely as a hobby, with an occasional lowest level "official" race here and there. My current helmet is an original TLD SE, almost a decade old. Geez, that sounds bad.
DoubleA
6/25/2018 1:34am
Lynch wrote:
What other helmets have you used? How they fit that is as my head seems to be one of a kind Laughing
New haircut bro? Jk. Damn I love those 6D's, Setup looks nice Shorty.
6/25/2018 1:41am
Lynch wrote:
I've been running 6D for a couple of years now and they always fit very well. It was a bit of a struggle to get your head into the ATR-1 but once it was, it fit like a glove. The new one is easier to put on without any compromise in comfort.

6/25/2018 1:48am
Turre wrote:
Thanks GER_shortymx, stoked about your pics! Prospect looks like a perfect fit for ATR-2, just like it looks for Moto-9. Could you fit the Prospects there...
Thanks GER_shortymx, stoked about your pics! Prospect looks like a perfect fit for ATR-2, just like it looks for Moto-9. Could you fit the Prospects there with the nose guard attached if you wanted/tried?

I actually do a lot of research on stuff I'm planning on buying. Some could say that it is even too much, hah. Definitely looks like 6D is on it's own level when it comes to safety. Customer service also seems to be top notch, although I of course don't have a personal take on it. Lots of good things going for them, which makes the helmet desirable.

I just think that a new quality helmet with MIPS might be more than enough for me, making 6D seem a bit of an overkill even. (Yea, no such thing in safety). I ride purely as a hobby, with an occasional lowest level "official" race here and there. My current helmet is an original TLD SE, almost a decade old. Geez, that sounds bad.
I just tried and the nose guard of the prospect actually goes unter the noseguard of the 6D, so the last mm of space is now filled up as well. Not rubbing or touching anywhere though, fits perfectly.

I think any of the new top helmets should be a pretty good call. Interestingly, most concussions come from rather low speed impacts so even if you're not that fast, it's still relevant to you! And if you keep a helmet that long, you'll definitely get your money's worth so I'd invest in the best one.

And the customer service, be it europe or US, is top notch. I lost the nose guard of my old ATR-1 and jusr wanted to know where I could buy one, then they send me the nose guard and a shirt for free.

And thanks DoubleA Cool

JA33
9/19/2018 2:26am
Lynch wrote:
I've been running 6D for a couple of years now and they always fit very well. It was a bit of a struggle to get your...
I've been running 6D for a couple of years now and they always fit very well. It was a bit of a struggle to get your head into the ATR-1 but once it was, it fit like a glove. The new one is easier to put on without any compromise in comfort.

What are the biggest differences between the ATR-1 and the ATR-2 ?
9/19/2018 11:53pm
Lynch wrote:
I've been running 6D for a couple of years now and they always fit very well. It was a bit of a struggle to get your...

JA33 wrote:
Biggest difference is definitely the weight for me- even if it's just about 100g on paper you can really feel the difference. It's closer to your face in the front and the liners feel a bit more plush and comfortable. And of course data shows that they stepped their safety game up even more.
JA33
9/20/2018 2:21am

JA33 wrote:
Biggest difference is definitely the weight for me- even if it's just about 100g on paper you can really feel the difference. It's closer to your...
Biggest difference is definitely the weight for me- even if it's just about 100g on paper you can really feel the difference. It's closer to your face in the front and the liners feel a bit more plush and comfortable. And of course data shows that they stepped their safety game up even more.
Thanks! Think i'm getting a new one, just waiting now on the 2019 designs.
9/20/2018 3:51pm
FWIW, I could never get a good seal with 100% goggles on my ATR-2 - every moto I’d get dirt in the goggles thrown up from my front wheel. Smiths were good, but now I think they’ve stopped making MX goggles.
Cheers
Simon
captmoto
9/20/2018 8:17pm
Rockwells and XBrand fit well. The ATR2 is a little bit smaller shell.
JA33
9/21/2018 8:43am
I ride with o frames (roll off) and airbrakes (tear off) in my ATR-1, and they fit perfectly. I hope it will be the same in the ATR-2.

Post a reply to: 6D ATR-2 with goggles?

The Latest